Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter Seven – The Blood in my Veins

Snape had given his information and memories over to the ministry to prove Voldemort's resurrection and name his followers. Beside throwing Voldemort back a few paces, this had the unwanted effect of releasing Sirius Black as innocent. Black was back in all his glory and immediately asked for guardianship to one Harry Potter. As Harry's guardianship in the magical world rested with Hogwarts and thus his Head of House, no one had learned of his current living arrangements. What did come to light was a startling other development.

'Did you know, Severus' Dumbledore started whilst taking off his coat 'that you have nominal control over the Potter estate?'

Snape frowned as did Harry 'I had no idea. How could this be?'

'The ruins in Godrics Hollow were filed under the name of James Potter and Lily Evans in equal share. Harry James Potter was named their sole heir. No one thought to look beyond that. But as Sirius was filing for guardianship of Harry' At this Harry's stomach clenched anxiously 'it came to light that it was not his name but yours listed there. The vault Harry inherited is also only comprised of a trust fund the Potters made for Harry, it is not the Potter inheritance.'

Harry looked questioningly at Snape, who looked as confused 'But how can this be? I was never named Harry's guardian, his parents would have never…'

Dumbledore nodded gravely 'I did ask the goblins and I have to confess, as the idea hadn't even entered my mind, I did not do so discreetly…' Dumbledore sighed 'Sirius was there as well and he did not take the answer well, I fear.'

'What answer?' Harry asked, a little annoyed at all the secrecy, he shrugged at Snape's warning glance.

'The only possible way that Severus would have control over the estate and vault, would be if he was your guardian. As the only people even being considered in this role were Sirius Black, the Dursleys or Hogwarts, namely me and Minerva, the only other possibility would be that you two share blood.'

This did not elicit the shocked reaction Dumbledore had obviously been expecting. Snape said 'Oh well, all pureblood families are related to some extent. I'm sure the Potters and the Princes…'

'No, it is a close familial connection. It would only give that right to you if you were the next natural candidate for guardianship. That means your relationship to Harry must override Sirius' claim.'

Now it seemed to dawn on Snape what Dumbledore was saying, he paled and sat down slowly. Harry looked from him to the headmaster 'I don't get it.'

'Only if Severus was your biological father, uncle or brother could he fulfill these criteria. May I assume that we can safely rule out the last two?' Snape gave a jerky nod 'And what can you say about the first?'

Snape seemed to think for a moment and then slowly related 'Do you remember the mission she worked on, when she was cut off from the outside world and I rescued her?' Dumbledore needed a little time, but then nodded 'We spent that one night in the cave together, but we both didn't remember much about it. The cave was infested with purple nightshade and we left it without thinking about the pieces of memory we might have lost.'

'You are saying that you might have had… relations with her during that night and both forgotten, when your system had metabolized the poison?' Dumbledore asked, Snape gave a brisk nod.

'Nightshade of that kind causes magical hallucinations… it is entirely possible. But how was I to even suspect that? Those hallucinations could have taken any form, they could've been violent or induced mad laughter…'

'I see' Dumbledore murmured 'Not one of you even thought about it, you went your own ways. Lily must have been sure it was James' child until Harry was born. At some point she must have realized, like we did today, that he was in fact yours and put glamours on him. Any particular physical element you think would have stuck out in a toddler to alarm her?'

Snape thought for a second to point out his nose but refrained 'All heirs to the Prince line have a birthmark in the vague shape of a crown. Lily knew this.'

He brushed his hair aside to uncover the little mark on his neck.

'So, did I get that right? You and my mum were drugged and that's how I was conceived?' Harry asked, sounding ill 'You are my father then?'

Snape looked as ill as Harry sounded. Harry got up on shaky legs and said 'I need some time…'

And he was gone, up the stairs to his bedroom, closing it silently behind him. Snape put his head in his hands and sighed.

'What else will happen to that child? How many disappointments will he have to face?'

Dumbledore sat down before him 'Disappointment, Severus? No. An adjustment, a chance, yes. But you are not a disappointment. It is a lot for him to take in. But you can become his crutch, make this his home. A home he has recently lost… if he ever had one. Show him what can lie ahead, what you can offer him – if you want to.'

Severus looked up 'I… do not feel adequate. I am not enough, Albus.'

'You are all there is!'

'Black…'

'Has forfeited his claim. He will not take your son, in fact he has disowned him from the Black inheritance and is working towards disowning him from the Potter inheritance.' Dumbledore said with regret 'He cannot take his trust fund, but he is convinced that James was tricked into adopting your child, that Lily cheated him into it. He is upholding his honour.'

'Honour?' Snape breathed 'He is dead, Harry lives.'

Dumbledore gave a bitter smile 'Yes, I believe that is the point of it. Sirius is still in denial about their deaths, Azkaban has frozen him in a state of 12 years prior. He was searching for James in Harry but he was denied that. It is as if he lost his brother all over again and the sheer pain of it has driven him mad.'

Severus shook his head in disgust.

'Do not worry about Sirius. Remus will take care of him.'

'I thought the wolf is your next choice for torture at the school?' Snape sneered, regaining back his usual composure.

'Sirius will accompany him and be his assistant teacher. He will fill in for him at the full moon.'

'Harry will have to face him?' Snape asked

'It will be alright, Severus.' Dumbledore said, almost imploringly 'I trust Remus with this.'

'He is just as bad!' Severus said, jumping up 'He will disregard him, bully him, just because he is my son, my blood!'

Dumbledore looked at him and then slowly said 'The same way you did in regards to James Potter's son?'

Severus looked up sharply and then could not hold Albus' gaze. The headmaster stood up as well 'I will leave you to your son then, to sort things out.'

Snape didn't follow the headmaster out, he stood there, thinking about this new revelation. About all of it. He did not trust in Sirius or Remus to come around. They would both abandon Harry. The wolf had no right to him and Sirius had forfeited his. They were not trustworthy.

The Dursleys did not even bear thinking about. Those animals would not see Harry ever again.

But who was there beside himself? Dumbledore was right. Harry did not have anybody else.

It was not a question about being right or enough. It was him or nobody. And he would not disappoint Harry. Not the way he had been disappointed by his own father. Not the way his mother had been abandoned by her kin. No, this Prince legacy would end with him. Snape turned and walked up to Harry's room, a new sense of purpose behind his stride, his features set.

His knock was answered by a muffled reply and when he entered, Harry was lying on his stomach, arms buried beneath a pillow his head was resting on. Harry glanced up at him and then looked down again, giving him a glimpse of Lily's beautiful green eyes. He sat on his bed, suddenly losing his resistance to be close to the child. Minutes ago, this had been his student, now he was his son.

He still hesitated before laying a hand on his shoulder but he had done so before, when he inspected Harry's artwork. Harry did not react.

'Listen to me. I truly did not know about our relationship. Much could have been different if I had. I will be honest with you, I never had any feelings for your mother other than respect and friendship. We were friends in school and later colleagues in the resistance against Voldemort. But had I known you were my child… I would've claimed you or at least fought to be a part of your life. This was probably the reason your mother sought to hide you from me. I… was a spy back then, a double agent. She could not trust me. I am certain she was waiting for the end of the war to reveal the truth of your heritage.'

'How can you know?' Harry asked 'Maybe she was hiding from James, maybe she would have kept it this way…'

'Maybe…' Snape conceded 'But I trust that she would've told me and James in the end. Maybe she had told him already.'

Harry snorted 'He would not have died for me…'

Snape moved his hand to lay against Harry's head, stroking his hair away from his face gently. Harry gulped at the loving gesture 'Your father was a good man, he would not have let any child die, that could be saved. He would've died for all of them, gladly.'

Harry took a trembling breath and nodded 'What is going to happen now?'

'You will stay with me.' Snape said firmly 'I want you in my life, if you will allow me. But at least until the end of the vacation you have a place at Spinners End. Beyond that, it is your choice.'

Harry gulped again 'I feel so confused, I don't know what to do.'

'Take it in stride, Harry. You have a home to come to here, whenever you wish. If you are offered something better, you may choose that. I will not resent it. But this door will always be open to you. That is all I'm saying.'

Harry's eyes filled with tears of gratitude and he nodded again. Snape tapped his head before retreating from the room 'Sleep for now. It will all sort itself out, I promise.'

Harry hid his face in the pillow, when the door shut close quietly. His arms were tingling, he wanted to scratch at them, cut them. He shook his head wildly, no. No, he would resist! He reached out to his journal and started writing in it. Ah, this felt good. It was like pouring out poison!

As he slid into sleep that night he dreamt of Severus - looking up at him with proud eyes, smiling and engulfing him in an embrace the moment he was close enough. No tingling, no throbbing accompanied the closeness and his father whispered into his ear 'I love you so much, Harry'

A shiver shook his whole body at those words and he gave a relieved sigh, that turned out to be half a whimper 'I love you, too, Dad. I love you so much.'

He squeezed his father and he squeezed him back, kissing the top of his head.

Even during his dream a wistful smile graced the teen's lips and tears glistened underneath his lashes. If only he could get this for Christmas...

Chapter End Notes:
This Chapter deals with the challenge 'Hidden Snapes' and 'Potter Estate in Snapes name'. You will find the description of the challenge following, please be careful as there could be Spoilers for the rest of the story!

Hidden Snapes by Mellow Moon
Summary: Snape had a bit of 'fun' after Hogwarts, and fathered two children. Harry with Lily, and another child with someone else. The other child must be a canon character, but not Draco. Whether he knows about either child is the writer's choice. Romance is also the writer's choice, but no Harry/Draco or Harry/Ginny. Can take place at any point during Harry's Hogwarts years.

Potter Estate in Snape's Possession by Jan_AQ
Summary: The Potter estate is in Snape's possession. How did this happen?

Chapter Eight – You look so much like your father...