Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 30: Bump in the Night

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

A special thanks to The Lonely God With a Box for beta'ing my story.

A/N: Here is chapter 30. I hope that you enjoy it.

Chapter 30

It was a quiet night. The lights were out in all of the houses on Privet Drive. Everyone was in his or her home sleeping the night away. No one noticed four hooded people walking down the street. Once they got to their destination, the smallest of the four walked up to the door and knocked. They waited patiently for someone to answer the door.

By the time that second circuit of knocks rang throughout the house, Vernon waddled down the stairs, tying the belt to his robe, grumbling all the way.

“Who in their right mind would come at this ungodly hour?” Vernon muttered to himself. “Coming,” He called out towards the door. “Coming.” His voice was laced with the bitterness of having been woken up in the middle of the night.

Once he got to the front door, Vernon slightly moved the curtain by the door from the side window to see who was on the other side of the door. While it definitely wasn't a good idea to open the door to someone he didn't know, his anger won out over his common sense and he opened to door to let the people on the other side know how he really felt about having his sleep disturbed. He didn't get a word out. Once he opened the door a green flash illuminated the doorway and Vernon fell with a loud thud.

Harry woke up with a start, instinctively clutching his bear to his chest. Used to sneaking out of his room to get something to eat or go to his cupboard to try and do his homework, Harry got out of bed and quietly walked over to the door and put his ear to the door with the ease of an expert. He could hear whispering, but did not recognized the voices. Then he heard his cousin coming out of his room and walking down the hall. With his ear next to the door, it didn't take long for Harry to know what happened next. He heard a curse that he hoped he would never hear again.

“Avada Kedavra.”

“Find the boy.”

Harry quietly stepped back from the door, towards the middle of the room, just in time to see green light illuminate the cracks of the door. Clutching the bear and his wand in his hands, Harry's heart was beating out of his chest. He was so afraid. Whoever was in the house just killed his cousin. True, he didn't like the fact that Dudley would bully him, but he didn't deserve to die.

Harry didn't know how long it was dead silent in the house. It seemed like an eternity, but in reality just a few minutes had pass when he heard a pop and a scream. Since he was so caught up in what was happening in the house, Harry didn't hear the soft apparating pop that was just behind him.

Aunt Petunia was awake, Harry frighteningly thought.

The only thoughts going through his mind was that he wished she would go back to her room and hide from whomever was in the house.

The next thing Harry felt was an arm wrapping across his chest and him being pulled into someone behind him. He felt something cover over his head and then he felt the tug in his navel of being apparated away, but not before hearing the scream of his aunt and another flash of green coming through the cracks of the door again.

Harry had no idea who just took him. The only thing that went through his mind was that he wished that his Professor didn't just leave. If his Professor was here, then he knew he would be safe.

Everyone from the Order who had a hand in putting up wards to Number Four Privet Drive felt something against their personal wards that night. It was an extra precaution added so the witch or wizard would know if anything happened to the Blood Ward that was the original protection to the house. Minerva McGonagall, Alastor Moody, and Arthur Weasley put up extra wards on the house along with Albus' Blood Wards.

On this night, the Blood wards did not go off because Vernon Dursley opened the door. Nor did it go off when he was killed. It did, however, set the other wards off when Petunia Dursley nee Evans was killed. The bloodline that protected Harry was now severed with Petunia's death. Once she was killed, all the warding fell from the house.

_________0000___________0000_____________0000__________0000___________0000_________

Moody was in his house recovering from the diabolical of the previous year. He, the most feared auror, getting jumped by Crouch Jr. He knew how important his presence at the school last year and, because he dropped the ball, Harry was forced into having to go through the Tri-Wizard Tournament. He was sitting in his chair, resting his bum leg, when he felt a jerk from his warding, and he dropped his tumbler of fire-whiskey as the pain radiated throughout his body.

_________0000____________00000__________00000________0000____________0000__________

Arthur had just gotten home from a very long day at the office. He was happy to get home and see his wife and family. Molly had his supper waiting for him under a stasis charm so that it would stay warm. When he walked in the door, he was greeted by his wife. She looked like she had as hard of a day as he did, but the love between them was unwavering. As he sat down to eat, Molly sat beside him and they began to tell each other about their days. In the middle of Molly telling him about what happened between the twins, his fork clattered on the floor bringing Molly out of her musing. She saw that her husband was in pain. She was at his side instantly trying to comfort her husband. In the painful grunts that Arthur was making, only one word was understandable; Harry.

___________0000________________0000____________0000__________0000_____________0000_

Severus walked into Remus' room. Remus just woke up.

“Severus,” greeted Remus.

“Lupin,” Severus walked in and sat in the chair next to Remus. “What happened?”

“I was lucky,” sighed Remus. “I just got back to Grimmauld after talking with those vile people. Oh by the way, don't have me do that again. Talking to them was very tiring. I had to keep the wolf at bay the entire time.”

Severus raised his brow in disbelief. Remus was always the calm one out of everyone and he had to control his temper and the wolf with Harry's relatives.

“So when you got back home?”

“I was just about to lay down when I heard Hedwig,” Remus sat up in the bed, swinging his legs out of the bed. “I got the owl and headed for the Floo. The last thing I remembered was calling out Arabella's name.”

“I talked with Mrs. Figg,” Severus stated. “She said when you came through there was a huge explosion accompanying you. She said the owl almost hit the wall. You came flying in and landed at her feet. She said there was debris everywhere. She surmised that Grimmauld Place was destroyed when you came through.”

“Why now?” Remus stood up. Severus stood next to him. “I thought it was under Fidelius Charm.”

“It is,” Severus answered. “I don't...”

Severus stopped mid-sentence and looked at the door.

“What is it?” Remus asked.

Severus didn't answer. He just left the room. Remus followed. The two wizards entered the next room. What they saw worried them. Minerva was in her bed with a pained look on her face, tears streaming down her cheeks, her hands tightly clenching the sheets. Severus and Remus were at both side of her bed instantly.

“Minerva,” Remus soothingly said, prying one of her hands from the sheet and holding it.

“H...harry,” Minerva stained out.

Remus and Severus exchanged worried glances.

“The...the wards,” Minerva sobbed.

There was an apparating pop in the room. Severus pulled out his wand. Severus looked over at Remus when he thought he heard a low growl coming from the other side of the bed. His attention went back to the middle of the room where it appeared to be empty when the far wall started to disappear.

When the cloak was removed, there stood Sirius and Harry. Sirius had his arm wrapped around Harry's chest and Harry was clutching his bear and holding his wand.

The shock about the two of them standing there quickly passed when Severus lowered his wand.

“What are you doing here?”

Harry opened his eyes when he heard the familiar voice. Not looking back at who was holding him, Harry forced his way out of the arms that were holding him and into the arms of his Professor.

Severus' breath was taken from him by the force of the child colliding into him. After the initial shock of Harry leaving his godfather's arms to go him wore off, Severus wrapped his arms around the boy to only find that Harry was shaking.

Remus walked over to Sirius.

“What happened?” Remus asked.

“They attacked,” Sirius said shaking his head. “When I got there, they had just killed the uncle. I apparated into the Harry's room and grabbed him and left.”

“They killed Dudley,” Harry sobbed into Severus' shoulder.

Severus rubbed circles on Harry's back trying to calm the child down.

“He didn't deserve that,” cried Harry. “He was a bully but he didn't deserve to die.” Harry tightened his hold on his Professor. “Don't leave me again,” Harry mumbled out so only Severus could hear him.

“While we were leaving,” Sirius continued. “I think they killed the aunt.”

“Yes,” Minerva said, as the pain finally was subsiding. “The Blood Wards dropped. They were connected to her.”

“How do you know?” asked Remus.

“When Mr. Potter was dropped off at the house,” Minerva began. “A few of us in the Order wanted to put a little more protection around the house. In hindsight, I know it should have been more warding to add how they would treat him. But we wanted an insurance that whatever would happen if someone tried anything we would be notified instantly should they fall.”

“Who all placed the wards?” Sirius asked.

“Alastor, Arthur and myself,” Minerva answered. “Harry?”

Harry slightly turned his head so that he could see his Head-Of-House, but didn't let go of his Professor.

“Yes, Professor?”

“Are you alright?”

Harry nodded, then turned his head back into the safety darkness of his Professor's robes.

“I guess the next question would be is how did they find Harry?” Remus asked.

“What do you mean?” Sirius asked.

“He's been living there for almost fourteen years. There haven't been any attacks. Now, someone attacks the house, killing the occupants. Why now?”

“Not to mention the Dementors,” Minerva added.

“Dementors?” worry in Sirius voice was apparent.

“Dementors attacked Harry. That's why he's been with Severus in the first place.”

“We need to find a place for you and Harry to stay,” Severus said, looking at Sirius.

Harry raised his head and looked at Snape.

“I'm not going anywhere without you,” sheer determination laced Harry's voice.

TBC

A/N: Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please leave a review and let me know what you think about it. :)