Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 51: Grounded

Minerva and Derek were still in the same spot in Severus' living quarters. Minerva walked back and sat down in the arm chair, hoping that her greatest fear wasn't coming true. She had always feared that one day Voldemort would call for her son and that would be the last time she would ever see her son alive. That fear ate away at her when Severus was called after the Tri-Wizard Tournament.

She still remembered the fear and loss when he left that night. When he did come back home, she saw that past coming again. Severus was hurt, but instead of going to Poppy and getting treated, he, once again, went to his Potions lab and tried to heal his wounds. It took a lot of convincing as well as intimidation to get Severus to see reason.

"Minerva," Derek called out.

Minerva looked over at the healer, slightly shocked by the voice to bring her out of her musing. She wasn't even aware that both men were now sitting down.

"Are you okay?"

"I have a lot on my mind," Minerva smiled, trying to calm herself.

"You want to talk about it?"

"I'm really worried about him," Minerva confessed.

Sirius studied his former Head-of-House and truly began to see the love and care that she had for the Potions Master. Some would think that Sirius was jealous of the care that Minerva had for Severus but in reality he wasn't. After he and Minerva talked about the bonding of Severus and Harry, he began to truly understand the care and love that Severus was receiving from Minerva.

"What if …," Minerva began.

"Now," Derek cut her off, a soothing tone in his voice. "He already said that this wasn't it. He'll be back."

Right after he said that, the door to Severus' chambers burst opened. Everyone stood up and saw Severus carrying something, or rather, someone. Derek went to Severus side which was futile as Severus went straight to the couch so that he could lower his bundle on it.

"Severus, what happened?" Minerva said, worry in her voice.

Severus, sitting on the edge of the sofa, lowered Harry. When he was about to release the child, Harry began to moan at the separation. Severus sank down until he was next to the child's ear.

"All will be okay, Harry," Severus' soothing voice seemed to wash over Harry, and he began to relax. "I'm right here. You're not going anywhere."

Harry's body molded into the sofa as he fell asleep. Severus removed his glasses when he sat back up. Severus stood and moved so Derek could run a diagnostic over the child.

Now, getting a good look at the child, he remembered working on this boy before. Scratches on his hand. While waiting for the diagnosis to finish, Derek decided to check and see how Harry's hand was healing.

"Sweet Merlin," Derek exclaimed, dropping to his knees beside the boy.

Everyone's attention was on the Healer.

"What's wrong?" Severus asked walking back over. He stopped when he saw the back of Harry's hand. Minerva and Sirius was right next to him seeing the same thing.

Severus knelt next to Derek and snatched the child's hand out of the Healer's, and began lifting up the child's sleeve. Severus couldn't believe what he was seeing. There were words carved into the child's flesh. It wrapped around the back of his hand and then continued up his arm, ending midway from his wrist to the elbow.

He had detention with Professor Umbridge.

Severus was livid. He didn't hear the gasp or expletive coming from behind him. He didn't hear the shout of his name as he got up and rushed out of his chambers. The only thing on his mind was the total and utter destruction of a certain Toad-faced bitch, currently residing in the Defense chambers.

"Oh my," Minerva gasped, her hand covering her mouth.

Sirius knelt down in the same spot where Severus just left. He was in shock at what he was seeing. He didn't know who would do this to his pup. This was beyond cruel. Who would carve on a child like that?

_000_000_000_000

Derek saw the raging anger in the man kneeling next to him. When Severus got up and rushed out of the chambers he knew nothing good was about to happen.

"Severus!" Minerva called out. "Derek," turning towards the Healer, "we have to stop him."

Derek looked at the Transfiguration Professor and then called out, "Tami."

There was a slight pop and the small elf appeared.

"Yous call, Master Healer," Tami said.

"Yes," Derek said, standing up. "Go to Severus."

"Take him home," Minerva cut in. "We can handle everything there."

Tami looked at her mistress, then back to the Healer.

"Take him home," Derek ordered. "Do you understand me?"

A frantic nod came from the elf and she disappeared. Derek turned to the Transfiguration professor.

"We need to get there before Severus does," Minerva said, walking over to the fireplace.

"Minerva, can you get us into Severus' home?"

Minerva nodded. She put the floo powder in and then waved her wand over the fire.

"Let's go," Minerva said, her voice was calm.

Derek reached down and picked up the small child on the sofa. Minerva stepped through first followed by Derek and Harry, then Sirius.

Severus was on the last flight of stairs when Tami popped in front of him. He gasped at the sudden intrusion. He was going to step aside and pass the elf but she grabbed his wrist in a tight grip and both elf and Potions master disappeared from the steps.

_000_000_000_000

Remus was sitting in the library reading, when the floo flared and Minerva stepped out, followed by Derek and then Sirius.

"What in Merlin's name happened?" Remus said when he saw them, but his voice seemed to catch in his throat when he saw Harry in the Healer's arms.

"What happened?" Remus asked again. This time there was a distinct growl in his tone.

Sirius walked over to his friend, as he knew he was going to have to restrain the wolf.

Before anyone moved there was another pop. Severus and Tami appeared in front of everyone.

"Tami," Severus growled.

His anger seemed to grow when he realized that he wasn't headed to his intended target. Severus looked around and saw Derek holding Harry. He walked over to the Healer and took the child from his arms.

"Derek, if you would allow me," Minerva said. Derek nodded.

"Tami, please," Minerva said.

Tami looked at her mistress and then after receiving a nod from her new master, she clapped her hands and waved them around her.

"What did you just do?" Sirius asked.

"Tami locked the house," Minerva said, looking at her son.

"Locked the house?"

"Elves have stronger magic," Minerva said, looking over at Sirius. "It will keep people from leaving the house." The last part of her statement she was looking back at her son.

Severus glared at his mother. Turning from the room, Severus left out of the room with Harry cradled to his chest.

Minerva sighed.

Severus walked up the stairs and put Harry in the room where he stayed those few days in the Summer. Laying the child down on the bed, Severus took a closer look at the child's hand and arm. Now that he was currently stuck in his own home, Severus truly saw the total damage done to his child. The words were clear and deeply made on his arm.

Severus, during his time as student, had a fascination with the dark arts. And he knew of many items and artifacts that could cause such damage. Deep gashes but very little blood. And the idea of one such artifact being at a school just made him sick. There was a loud crashing sound that rang through the silence that reigned over the house. Severus figured that they had just explained to the wolf what they knew. Not that they knew the whole story as Severus did, but enough to send the wolf into a rage. Severus thought about the damage that the wolf could be doing to his house, but he found that he really didn't care. His only care was the small child laying on the bed.

A small knock brought Severus out of his musing. Not wanting to leave the boy's side, Severus waved his hand and opened the door. On the other side was the medi-witch.

"I see you're getting around a lot better," Severus said.

"Yes, well, you can't keep this old bird down," Poppy said with a smirk. Her eyes were bandaged up. She was walking with a cane. She had taught herself how to get around the house without the aid of another. She knew that Remus was in the house, and he did give her space, but he was also there for her when she needed him to be. She was especially grateful to having someone in the house with excellent hearing. So no matter where in the house she was, he would come to her if she needed him to.

"What are you doing here?" Poppy asked.

"Being punished," Severus sneered.

"I doubt that," Poppy said.

"Mother locked me in," Severus said.

Poppy smiled. She could tell that something was bothering Severus even if she couldn't see him, but she couldn't help the small chuckle that left her lips when Severus sounded like a petulant child on punishment.

"I don't think that Minerva is punishing you," Poppy said, trying to keep her voice even.

"She won't let me get the Toad-faced imbecile, currently residing at the castle."

"Toad-face?"

"The new Defense Professor."

This time Poppy laughed. "Severus, really. I know that you wanted the position since the beginning of summer, but Toad-faced."

Severus sighed. He knew he couldn't get angry at Poppy as she hadn't been at the school since the summer and hadn't gotten a chance to meet the woman, so Severus explained what happened and why they were truly at his house.

When Severus finished, Poppy's jovial temperament changed drastically.

"Where's Harry?" Poppy asked, seriousness in her tone.

"Here on the bed."

Poppy walked over to the bed, with the help of Severus when she had gotten close enough.

"Let me feel his arm," Poppy said.

Severus raised Harry's arm and brought Poppy closer towards the bed. When Poppy felt the child, she began lightly running her fingers over the back of Harry's hand and up his arm.

"Sweet Merlin," Poppy gasped as she continued moving her fingers. "A blood quill? Severus, are you sure?"

"It is the only thing that could cause this amount of damage," Severus sighed.

"Blasted Dumbledore," Poppy raged. "Taking my eyes away from me! I can't know with out seeing if there is damage to the nerves or tendons. The severity from what I am feeling is that he used the quill for a long period of time. You know the longer you use something the more damaging it can be."

Severus sighed for what felt like the hundredth time since Poppy came into the room. He so wanted to go after that woman and he couldn't. There was no telling the extent of the damage until they find out from Harry how long he had to use the quill. For the first time in a very long time, Severus' throat burned with tears. His emotions were getting the better of him and no amount of Occluding would stop the rush of emotions coming to the forefront. A small gasp escaped his lips when he felt arms wrap around his shoulders and was brought into an embrace. Severus reached up and wrapped his arms around Poppy's waist, his forehead on her shoulder.

"It will be alright, Severus," Poppy soothed in his ear. "We'll take care of it. Just like always."

TBC