Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 52: Dish Best Served Cold

Aberforth was cleaning the last of the tumblers when he heard the door open to his bar.

"I'm closed," he called out.

"I guess it is lucky enough that I'm not here to purchase a drink."

Aberforth's hands stopped wiping the tumbler as he recognized the voice of Lucius Malfoy. He had been a thorn in Aberforth's side ever since the rumors went around about him and his goats. There were no truth behind the rumors, but it didn't stop the Ministry from trying to revoke his license. The only thing that allowed Aberforth to keep his bar was the fact that they could not prove that the rumors were true. And it was that little loophole that had kept Aberforth's bar open.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Aberforth growled.

"You've been very busy this past summer," Lucius said, sitting down at one of the tables.

Aberforth walked around the bar and stood by the blond aristocrat.

"What are you talking about?"

"Kidnapping, attempted murder, assault," Lucius said, his voice had a slight boredom tone to it.

Aberforth said nothing.

"Someone wishes to see you," Lucius continued.

"I don't want to see anyone that you are acquainted with," Aberforth sneered. "Now, get out of my bar."

"Pity," Lucius said, leaning back in the chair. "You are not given a choice. The Dark Lord wants to see you."

"Over my dead body!"

Lucius smirked and pulled a roll of parchment out of his robes and tossed it on the table.

"What's this?" Aberforth said, reaching for it.

"I do believe that you will revise your last statement."

Aberforth read the parchment and paled. He seemed to deflate right in front of Lucius. Lucius' smirk turned to a true smile.

"You bastard!" Aberforth yelled.

"As I was saying," Lucius said. "The Dark Lord wishes to speak with you. Now, unless you want me to file this," pointing to the parchment in the other man's hands, "with the Ministry, I think you should come with me."

Aberforth knew in that instant that he was bested. There was now no way out of this. There was no more reasonable doubt. If he wanted to keep his bar, he was going to have to do what was asked.

_000_0000_0000_0000

Derek walked into the room and saw Poppy standing next to the bed, holding Severus in her arms. He cleared his throat to let them know he was standing there. Poppy stepped back. Severus turned his head and looked back down at Harry.

"I need to take a look at his arm," Derek said, walking into the room.

Severus nodded. Taking a deep breath, occluding his feelings, Severus turned and looked at the Healer.

Derek stood next to the bed, placing the items he was carrying on the side table. Severus looked at the items.

"Those won't work," Severus said.

Derek looked puzzled.

"These aren't just mere cuts," Severus continued.

Derek carefully grabbed Harry's arm and took a closer look. It couldn't be, he thought.

"You've got to be kidding me," Derek said, looking over at Severus.

Severus didn't respond to that, he just looked down at Harry.

"As the damage is very extensive, I need to brew a complex salve and try to save the nerves in his arm and hand."

"Well," Derek said. "What are you waiting for?"

Severus stood. He knew he needed to brew that salve, but for some reason, he just couldn't step away from the boy. Poppy reached up and gripped his shoulder.

"Everything will be alright, Severus," she said.

Severus nodded and walked out of the room. When he walked back down stairs, he would have to pass the library where he left his mother. When he walked by, he saw that Minerva was sitting in the armchair staring into space. Not stopping, Severus continued on his trek towards his lab.

When he got into the lab, he waved his hand causing the candles that were all around the room to light. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, slowly releasing the air in is lungs. When he opened his eyes again, he was set on determination to fix the proper salve that will heal his son's hand and arm. He went to his potion journal and looking for the right salve, Severus began gathering all the ingredients that he knew he would need. Thankfully, he had all the items in his store cupboard.

Severus was prepping the murlap when he heard the door open.

"I'm not in the mood," Severus said without turning to see who just invaded his sanctuary.

"We need to talk."

"What about?" Severus sighed, still prepping ingredients.

"Umbridge," Sirius said.

Severus' hands stilled. The small knife fell from his fingers.

"What about her?" Severus said, his voice not giving away the rage on the inside at the mere thought of her.

"Did she really hurt my pup?" Sirius asked.

Severus finally turned and faced them.

"Did she hurt him, Severus?" Remus asked.

Severus looked between the two remaining Marauders, and nodded.

"She used a blood quill." Severus said. "From the looks of it, it was repeatedly and for an extended period of time. There is no telling how much damage was done to Harry's arm and hand until he wakes."

"What are you going to do?" Remus said, a hint of a growl in the back of his throat.

Severus raised an eyebrow at the man.

"Because, if I do something," Remus continued. "I'll kill her."

"And I won't?" Severus said.

"I have nothing to lose," Sirius said. "She's as good as dead."

"You can't get caught," Severus vehemently said.

"Well, we know that you can't do anything without it coming back on you," Sirius said. "Harry needs you."

"And Minerva needs you," Severus said, pointing his finger at the mutt. "And you need to stay with Poppy," pointing at the wolf. "I will not jeopardize their lives."

"And what about Harry's?" Remus said.

"I'll take care of Harry," Severus said, turning back around, picking back up the knife.

"You don't have to do this on your own," Remus said. "We love Harry just as much as you do."

Once again, Severus' hands stopped. Love Harry. Ever since the bonding, Severus never really considered how he truly felt about Harry. But after Remus said that, Severus realized that he truly loved Harry. Harry was his. Of course he loved that child.

It didn't take long for Severus to finish the salve. Surprisingly, he rather enjoyed the company of the wolf and mutt while he worked. Never did Severus think that he could be in the same room with Sirius Black and hexes not fly between each other. Remus wasn't as bad as James and Sirius, but it didn't make growing up any better. Now, the three of them were able to be in the same room and actually talk casually towards each other.

After giving the salve to Derek, Severus was kicked out of the room. Derek would not let him in the room until he was finished working on Harry's arm. Severus walked back downstairs and to the library. Minerva was still sitting in the armchair. She had a book on her lap, but she wasn't reading it. Severus walked into the room and sat down on the sofa next to Minerva. For a moment neither one said anything. Minerva didn't even acknowledge that anyone had come into the room. The silence in the room was deafening. Severus knew he needed to talk to his adoptive mother, but when she did not even look at him when he walked in, he figured that now might not be the best of times. When neither one said anything, Severus began to stand.

"Sit," came the order from Minerva.

Severus looked over at his mother and sat back on the sofa. Minerva still wasn't looking at him, but the tension in her face let him know that she was angry.

"I will not have this," Minerva said.

Severus' brow furrowed.

"I will not have you and Sirius plotting against a Professor at the school."

Severus looked as if he was going to protest that statement, but Minerva cut him off.

"Don't even try to defend yourself," Minerva said, finally looking over at her son. "I saw your anger. I saw Sirius'. I know that when they left from here when you headed towards your lab that was what you three were doing."

Severus said nothing.

"I will deal with Dolores," Minerva said, quietly.

"Harry is my responsibility," Severus said, anger in his tone.

"And you're mine," Minerva said with the same intensity. "And I will not have you jeopardizing that for some Toad-faced buffoon that thinks she's over everyone in that school. I will deal with Dolores."

"She used a blood quill on Harry. She made him write over and over with that bloody thing and you expect me to just sit back and do nothing." Severus was now standing. The anger he was feeling seemed to be boiling over. Minerva just looked up at her son.

"What I expect," Minerva said, her voice calm and collected, "is for you to respect my wishes and let me handle that woman. You need to concentrate your attention on the child laying upstairs. That is what you need to be focusing on. Harry needs you by his side."

"No," Severus said, shaking his head. "I won't allow it. I have no idea who was sent to kill you. I will not jeopardize your life. I will handle this. That bitch could be here for you." Severus was now pacing back and forth in front of Minerva.

Minerva stood up and blocked his path. When he tried to move around her, she countered by continuing to step in front of him.

"I will not put my life on hold because of a threat," Minerva said. "You Know Who does not even know of your bonding of Harry. Why would he send her to come just to torture him? He wants Harry for himself. This threat is against you. He wants to hurt you. Now, I have obliged you in having Sirius follow me around. But I will not hide from a threat."

"I will not lose you," Severus said, his anger faltering as his hurt entered his tone.

"And you won't," Minerva said, reaching up and cupping Severus' face. "But it won't change my mind. I will handle her."

A knock on the door brought the two out of their conversation. They both turned and saw Derek standing in the doorway.

"I'm finished," he said. "Harry's waking up."

Severus stepped away from Minerva and headed for the door. He was leaving when Derek gripped his arm preventing him from leaving.

"We need to talk first," Derek said.

"Not now," Severus growled, moving his arm out of Derek's grasp and headed up the stairs.

"Let him be," Minerva said, when Derek looked like he was going to follow Severus. "He needs to be by Harry's side right now."

Derek looked at Minerva and then back down the hallway where Severus disappeared down.

"Come in," Minerva said, sitting back down in the chair. "Talk to me. Tell me what was the damage to my Gryffindor."

Derek stepped into the library and sat down on the sofa where Severus was earlier.

_000_0000_000_000

Aberforth walked into a grand room. There was a long table in the middle of the room. Several people were already sitting around the table.

"Dumbledore," Voldemort said, sitting at the head of the table. "How gracious are you to accept my invitation. Please," raising his hand to the empty chair, "sit."

Aberforth walked to the table and sat down.
"Wonderful," Voldemort said. "Now, let's begin."

TBC