Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 59: Justice Serves the Weak

While Derek worked on Ms. Lovegood's hand, Severus walked over towards the twins.

"Professor," Fred greeted when Severus got close enough.

"You want to explain to me how you got detention with that woman?" Severus asked, looking at the twin laying on the bed.

"It was nothing," George dismissed.
"Do not attempt to insult my intelligence, Mr. Weasley," Severus sneered as he sat on the edge of the bed, reaching for the bandaged hand.

Severus heard a little about how George's hand was but after looking at the damage to Harry's hand and arm, he wanted to see for himself what George's hand looked like.

"It really wasn't nothing," George tried again, this time there was a little worry in his voice.

As much as the twins tried to hide it, they truly respected the Potions Master. And the last thing they wanted was to see the look of disappointment on his face. They both enjoyed their time with him making potions with the man.

"George," Severus said, with a gentleness that he rarely spoke. "What happened?"

George, sighing, looked up at his brother and then back at the Potions Master.

"She accused me and Fred of 'immoral acts'."

Severus was shocked by the reasoning but kept silent as he wanted to hear the rest of it. As much as he didn't want to admit, he really did like the company of the twins. The last six years had been interesting with them secretly under his wing.

"She said that we were an abomination," Fred continued.

"And that is what got you detention?" Severus asked looking from Fred to George.

"Well, no, not exactly," George said.

"Well, what exactly?"

"I turned her green," George said with a little hesitation.

If Severus wasn't a master Occlumens and a seasoned spy, his reaction to what George said would have shown on his face. One thing he truly enjoyed about the twins were there brand of justice towards people that they felt wronged someone. It was their brand of justice that initially got them under his wing in the first place.

He caught the twins brewing a dangerous potion, unsupervised. It was volital when he got to the room and only after giving them a lecture that they did not forget, and a months worth of detention, did he learn the reason for why they were making the potion. A first year Slytherin was being bullied in the halls. The twins happened upon one of the bully sessions and wanted to intervene. But it wasn't much that they could do since they too were first years and the bullies were six and seventh years and in their own house. Once he had gotten the full story of what was going on, he went and talked with his mother to inform her what was going on as well as talk with the young Slytherin who was being bullied. As a result of that particular incident, he had become the only Professor that the twins confided in.

"You turned her … green?" Severus asked.

George nodded.

For the first time since dealing with the Weasley twins, Severus at a lost for words. He pulled out his wand and with a slight wave, he removed the bandage so that he could see the wound. Once he got the bandage off, looking at the wound, though it wasn't as deep as Harry's, he could clearly see what his lines were.

'I shall respect authority.'

Inspecting the markings on George's hand, Severus could tell that it was indeed different than how Harry's hand look. One, Severus could tell that the wound was several weeks old. Knowing that, he was a little surprised that they did not say anything to him about it during their weekly 'detentions.'

"I can see that this is relatively old, infected but an old wound," Severus stated. "Why haven't you said anything about this?"

Again, George and Fred glanced at each other.

"Well, sir," George said after taking a deep breath. "I acted on impulse. And I knew you would be disappointed. I was angered by what she implied. Fred tried to calm me down but she wouldn't stop talking about how immoral we were being."

"I probably would have spoken to you about your temper, but it would had let us know about the abuse that you children were subjected to," Severus said. "And Harry would not have been a victim as well."

"Harry?" Fred interrupted.

"That is how we learned of the punishment Umbridge was handing out. Harry was made to write with that quill. He was made to stay and write one hundred and fifty lines."

Both Fred and George blanched at how many lines Harry had to write.

"I understand your need to want to impress me," Severus continued. "But nothing is to go above your safety and well being.

"We're sorry, Professor," Fred said. "We didn't mean for others to get hurt."

"I'm not blaming you," Severus said, raising his hand, ultimately stopping Fred from continuing. "My only concern is that you don't try to handle these things on your own. It is not your fault that Harry got those horrid detentions, nor was it Harry's. The fault lies with your so called Defense professor. I just want to impress upon you two that though I may be upset about the course of action that you take when acting on impulse, your safety and continuing good health is my main concern."

Severus looked from one twin to the other.

"Now," Severus said, changing the subject. "I see that you attempted to apply Essence of Murlap on here, yes?"

George nodded.

"When you saw that it wasn't working, why didn't you come to me?"

"I thought it was a bad batch that we had, so I brewed another one," George explained.

"You brewed a potion? When?"

Fred, seeing that this conversation was going further and further down hill, rolled his eyes to the ceiling. Each conclusion to the Professor's questions were leading them down the path that they did not think.

"Well … we …," George stammered, knowing that part of the agreement with Professor Snape was that they didn't brew potions on their own.

"Since it seems that we are going to have to go back to the basics again," Severus said, re-wrapping George's hand. "This Thursday, you will serve an actual detention with me. After scrubbing a few cauldrons, I will then teach you in how to brew a proper salve that will work on most dark artifacts."

Both twins looked downtrodden at the claim that they would be serving an actual detention. They really loved the time they spent with Snape and making potions and learning subtle things that could help them with their own products. But hearing that they would continue in making potions with the Potions master brought smiles to their faces.

Severus smirked and stood from the bed.

"Get some rest, Mr. Weasley," Severus said, walking away. "Both of you."

_0000_0000_0000

Cornelius left Albus' office. He was not happy with the way things were going. When assigning Dolores to become Hogwarts' Defense Professor, he wanted to get information on Albus as well as Harry Potter. He wanted to make sure that Albus wasn't trying to overthrow the Ministry, by using Harry Potter. The last thing he needed was finding out that his Undersecretary was not only not getting him the intel that he needed but was also abusing the children. He knew he would have to find Dolores and get her side of things. He wanted to know why she would use that form of punishment on all the students. If it was just Harry Potter, then things would be fine, but using it on a Weasley and yet another student was inexcusable but also couldn't be explained or swept away.

Now, instead of Cornelius having something that he could use on Albus, it was the other way around. The Minister sighed as he walked out of the castle, heading past the apparation wards.

_0000_0000_0000_000

After the Minister left, Minerva stood up.

"Well, Albus," Minerva said. "If there is nothing else, I'll retire."

Arthur stood up and stood by the door, waiting to escort her to her chambers.

"If you please," Albus said. "There is one other thing that I feel that needs to be discuss."

"And what is that?" Minerva asked.

Right before Albus answered, the fire turned green and Horace emerged from the flames. Minerva eyes slightly widened when she saw who emerged from the flames. She glanced at Albus before turning her hard gaze back at the newest person in the room. Arthur saw a slightly plump man coming through the flames and noticed that the temperature dropped, considerably.

"Now, Minerva," Albus started. "Let me explain."

"Yes, Albus," Minerva all but growled, as she slowly approached his desk. "Please explain."

"Since you've dismissed Umbridge, we are short a Professor."

"Okay, but why is he here?"

"You know, I'm standing right here," Horace stated a little annoyed. But those words tasted bitter in his mouth from the hard look her received from Minerva.

"Do not remind me," Minerva sneered. "Don't think I have not forgotten what you've done."

"Now Minerva," Albus said. "It was a long time ago."

Minerva head whipped around so fast to look at Albus, all the men was surprised that she didn't break her neck at the movement. Albus audibly gulped.

"And I'm suppose to forget all the trauma and heartache that my son went through because of this man?" Minerva growled. "The blind eye he turned to Severus, and his treatment inside that house."

Horace was about to speak, but the moment he opened his mouth, Minerva's head turned back towards him and he quickly dismissed saying anything.

"Minerva," Albus soothed. "Do please calm down. Horace will not be a Head of House, so there is no worry on that front."

"So what is he doing here? If memory serves me right, Defense is not his specialty."

"No," Albus said, shaking his head. "He will take up his previous position."

Arthur, still standing by the door, just watched the scene in front of him with a sense of awe. He always knew that Minerva was a witch that no one dare cross, but to actually see what brought the fear and respect that she received from students was quite a sight. And for the second time during this one conversation, Arthur noticed that the temperature once again dropped.

"And what of my son?" Minerva whispered, enunciating each word that brought a chill down each man's spine.

"The reason I asked you to stay," Albus said, trying to placate his Deputy Headmistress. "Severus will take the position of Defense professor. I know he wanted that position."

Minerva anger quickly deflated when hearing that. She narrowed her eyes at Albus, not truly trusting him.

_0000_0000_0000

Severus walked down to his chambers. When he walked in, he saw Sirius and Harry on the sofa. Harry was asleep on Sirius' lap.

"What's going on?" Severus asked.

"Just coming to an understanding," Sirius said, looking up at Severus.

Severus walked over to his armchair and sat down, but not before walking over to the animagus and his son and letting his fingers get lost in Harry's hair. Sirius looked down at his godson and then over at Severus.

Sirius looked at Severus and realized that this was the first time, ever, that he didn't feel any animosity towards the Slytherin. He didn't even feel jealous. Who would have thought that his godson would bring the two of them together?

"So what happened?" Sirius asked.

Severus sighed. Just thinking about the fact that the Minister pretty much sent Umbridge there to hush Harry up angered the Potions Master.

"Minister Fudge appointed Umbridge for the position of Defense Professor," Severus stated.

"I didn't know he had that authority?" Sirius questioned.

"Usually he doesn't," Severus continued. "But after what happened last year with Moody, and then the return of the Dark Lord, which he doesn't want to believe is true, the Minister wanted to take it upon himself to bring in the next professor."

"Okay," Sirius said. "So he appointed an abusive witch to take the position, as if she would have been better solution?"

"Actually there was more to that," Severus said. "He appointed his Undersecretary for the position for two reasons."

"Which were?"

"To pretty much be a spy on the Professors here, and …," Severus abruptly stopped.

"And what?"

"To shut Harry up on the information that the Dark Lord has indeed come back," Severus said, trying to reign his temper.

Sirius was at a loss for words. He always thought that Cornelius Fudge was a spineless weasel that always wanted to keep his head in the sand when it came to things, but to actively try to quiet down a child from speaking about something that they all knew was true, enraged the animagus.

Sirius looked down at the slumbering child in his arms. At first, he wondered as close as Severus and Harry were becoming, why would Severus let him continue to hold Harry? When, in the last thirty-six hours, Harry would not leave Severus' arms. Then it made sense. Sirius couldn't go after the Minister like he wanted to, being tied down by the precious bundle in his arms.

"So," Sirius said, trying to calm his anger. "What now? Wait to see who else the Minister appoints for the position?"

"Well, no," Severus said. "See, he wanted it to only be Harry that was subjected to punishment. He wasn't expecting that Umbridge would clearly get out of hand. Her having detentions with one of the Weasley twins and Ms. Lovegood took the story of Harry making up the abuse from her hands. If it was just Harry who was forced to use that quill then it would have been his word against hers. But since there were two other children with slightly prominent families, the accusations seems more plausible than just a 'over imaginative teen' who makes up stories of the Dark Lord's return."

"So," Sirius said. "What now?"

Before Severus could answer, the flames in the fireplace turned green. Not knowing who was coming through the flames, Severus quickly cast a Disillusionment Charm over his sofa, to successfully hide Sirius and Harry. Even though only a few people would ever come to his chambers, he did not want to take the risk of someone seeing Sirius in the castle.

Minerva stepped through. Severus stood up and walked over to her and helped her out of the hearth.

"Is everything alright?" Severus asked.

"Where's Sirius and Harry?" Minerva asked instead of answering her son's question.

Severus waved his wand over the sofa, removing the charm.

"I wasn't sure who was coming through," Severus said by way of an explanation.

Minerva didn't respond to that. She just sat down in the other armchair.

"Is everything alright?" Severus asked again.

"I'm sure you've gotten Sirius up to date as to what Cornelius has done?"

Severus nodded as he retook his seat. "He knows."

"Well, Ministry involvement within the school will not continue," Minerva said. "If he wants to keep his position, Cornelius will not interfere."

"Well, that's good," Sirius said. "Isn't it?"

"Yes," Minerva said.

"So, what's the problem?" Sirius asked.

"Albus has gotten a new Professor," Minerva said. "Well, not new, but someone none the less."

"Who?"

"Horace Slughorn is back," Minerva said, looking at her son.

Sirius looked from Minerva to Severus and could see the tension between the two. He wondered what was the problem with having him back.

"He will be teaching Defense?" Severus asked.

"No," Minerva said. "Potions."

Sirius gaze quickly went to Minerva when she said that, and then went back to Severus.

"And where would I be?"

For the first time since finding out, a small smile came across Minerva's face.

"You're the new Defense Professor."

TBC