Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 60: Monsters in Your Head

The next morning Harry and Severus were walking to the Infirmary. After Minerva told Severus that he was appointed the new Defense professor, she and Sirius left. Not even waking Harry, Sirius deposited Harry in Severus' arms and escorted the Transfiguration Professor towards the floo and they left.

Harry had woken up soon after being in his da's arms. Wanting Harry to try and eat something, they went to the little kitchenette and Severus order a light supper for them. During their meal, Severus informed Harry that they would have to see how much damage was done to his hand, so that a form of treatment could get started.

Because it was Sunday morning, there weren't that many students in the corridors. Not that either Harry or Severus noticed. Harry was nervous about what they would find out about his arm. What if he couldn't grip anything in that hand? What if this prevented him from flying anymore? What if his entire arm is rendered useless? What if everybody saw him as useless?

Harry was taken out of his depressing thoughts by a hand resting on the back of his neck. Looking up, he didn't realize that he had stopped walking, or that his da was standing in front of him. Looking at the man in front of him, Harry could see disdain in the man's face. Harry could feel the tears burning his throat.

When Severus noticed that Harry had stopped walking, he turned and faced the child. He could see the emotions he was going through. It showed on his face. Severus was beginning to worry. He walked up to Harry, cupping his hand on the back of Harry's neck. When Harry finally noticed him, the only emotions that Harry was portraying were fear and sadness.

After a few moments of just standing there, Severus coaxed Harry into moving and they continued their trek towards the Infirmary. As they walked, Severus truly began to worry about this new attitude Harry has taken on. In silence again, Harry and Severus made their way to the Infirmary.

Derek was coming out of the back stock room when Severus and Harry walked in.

"Hello again, Harry," Derek said, walking over towards them. "Come sit down on one of the beds."

Harry swallowed thickly and stepped away from Severus, sitting on the farthest bed.

Derek walked over to Severus.

"What's going on?"

"I'm not sure," Severus said. "Where are the others?"

"I sent them back to their Common Room last night. Ms. Lovegood's injuries were not that bad. She told me that she only used the quill for twenty lines. Looking at the back of her hand, it only look like scratches. No words were visible on her hands. The same way Harry was when I first saw him."

"And the Weasley?"

"He did use it a little longer, but there was little to no nerve damage that I could see. With the help of the salve that you made, it shouldn't give Mr. Weasley much discomfort. Actually, I feel he should make a good recovery."

Severus nodded and looked over at Harry. Harry was sitting on the bed, his shoulders slumped. The sure picture of dejection. Severus' brow creased, looking at the child. Something was wrong, and Severus was going to find out what.

"Send your house elf to get me after you finish checking over him," Severus said, turning towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Derek asked, grabbing Severus' arm.

Severus glanced over at Harry, who had yet to lift his head, and back to Derek.

"Something is wrong," Severus answered. "I'll be in my office."

Severus walked out of the Infirmary. Harry looked up, seeing his da's retreating back, and couldn't help the first tear streaming down his cheek. His da didn't want anything to do with him. And why would he want a huge disappointment boy that always got into trouble? Using his unharmed hand, Harry wiped the stray tear from his cheek.

"Harry," Derek called out.

Harry lifted his head and looked at the Healer.

"Yes, sir."

"Let's take a look at your hand."

Harry nodded, but didn't say anything.

_000_0000_0000_0000

Severus was almost jogging by the time he got to his office. Once there, he went straight to his library. Knowing that he had books on dark artifacts, Severus needed to know if there was more to the blood quill than just the taking of blood. Finding the book he was searching for, Severus went to his desk and sat down. When he found the passage he was looking for he began reading.

Severus was so immersed. in his reading he didn't hear the knocking on his door. Whomever it was on the other side was determined to gain entrance.

"Enter," Severus growled out after the knocking became too much.

The door crept open and a blond headed boy walked in.

"What can I do for you, Mr. Malfoy?" Severus asked when he looked up.

"I really need to talk to you," Draco said.

"Alright," Severus said, sitting back in his chair, giving Draco his full attention.

"But not now," Draco said, quickly. "I have to go."

Severus brow creased, looking at the boy standing across from him. Draco turned and headed back towards the door.

"Dragon," Severus called out, puzzled by Draco's behavior.

Draco stopped with his hand on the door knob. He lowered his head and then turned his head and looked at his Professor.

"Please, Uncle Sev, I need to talk to you," Draco said.

"I'm here," Severus said, standing up. "Talk."

"Not now," Draco said, desperately. "Please. Not now."

Draco quickly left the office before Severus could say anything else. Severus sat back down, looking at the now closed door where Draco just left out from. As much as he wanted to think on what just happened, he had other pressing matters that he had to deal with. Looking back at the book he had just pinned, he began reading again on the side effects of the use of certain dark artifacts.

_000_0000_0000_000

Derek was sitting on the edge of the bed. He lifted Harry's bandaged arm and waving his wand over the arm, the cloth started to unwind itself from around Harry's limb. Once all of the bandage was removed, Derek was able to get a good look at the damage. Because of the salve that Severus had made, the wound wasn't infected. But it didn't seem like it was healing. Cradling the arm in his hand, Derek looked at Harry.

"Harry, I want you to try and move your fingers."

Harry nodded and did as he was told. His hand felt stiff and his joints felt like it was going to break with the suddenness of movements.

"Does it hurt?" Derek asked.

Even though the pain was immense, Harry thought that he deserved this pain. Harry was about to shake his head, when a voice broke through his thoughts.

"Don't lie," Derek said.

Feeling lower now that he'd been caught, Harry nodded his head. Harry felt nothing but weakness at the pain he was feeling.

Derek lowered Harry's arm onto the bed.

"I'll be right back, Harry," Derek said, patting the boy's leg. "I'm going to get some more salve and we are going to wrap your hand and arm again."

With his head lowered, Harry nodded. The boy felt the Healer stand up and he heard the footfalls to let him know that he had walked away. Harry didn't bother to try and hide the lump that was growing in his throat. He was nothing but a weakling that always needed looking after. He was no good at all. Tears dripped onto his lap as he continued with his depressing train of thought.

_000_0000_0000_0000

Harry walked back to the Gryffindor Common Room. His arm was still bandaged mid-forearm to his fingertips. Healer Williams put some numbing cream on his arm so the pain that he was feeling would lessen. Right now, he wasn't feeling anything from his arm, but it was not the same from the hurt he was feeling in his chest.

As he continued on his trek, he felt like the biggest failure. The look of disappointment on his da's face was just breaking his heart. His da didn't even want to be seen with him, leaving the Infirmary so quickly he didn't even want to say anything to him.

When Harry got to the portrait to the Common room, he muttered out the password and walked in. Standing in the entrance way, he could see Ron, and Hermione sitting with the twins talking. Smiles on their faces, they looked as if they were enjoying their time together. Harry didn't want to even bring attention to himself so he quickly walked to the dorms.

"Harry," a voice called out before Harry could make good his escape.

Ron got up from where he was sitting and went over to his friend. Hermione was two steps behind the red-headed boy.

"You alright there, Harry?" Ron looked concern at his friend.

Harry wanted to reply but the lump of tears in his throat almost choked him.

"I just want to be alone," Harry whispered out, side-stepping around Ron.

"Harry, wait," Hermione said, reaching out for Harry's arm that wasn't wrapped. "What's wrong?"

"I can't," Harry said again. "Please."

The first tear escaped Harry's eyes, and Hermione, not wanting her friend to be alone, pulled him into a hug.

Harry really didn't want to burden his friends with how he was feeling, though he really couldn't explain it himself. But being the friends that they were, they would not let him pass. When he felt Hermione's arms wrap around him, Harry couldn't help sagging into her embrace. As much as he didn't want to burden his friends with what he was feeling, he also knew he wasn't strong enough to step away from the hug and deal with this on his own.

What kind of coward was he really? Harry thought as the tears flowed from his eyes.

Hermione could feel Harry's shoulders shaking in her arms. Her only response to that was tightening her hold of him. She had never seen Harry this upset before. It was really worrying her. She looked at Ron who was standing behind Harry and she could tell that he was just as worried as she was.

The twins watched the trio from where they were sitting when Harry walked into the Common Room. They didn't like the way he looked when he came in and seeing his reaction to Hermione and Ron, George and Fred knew that something had to be done. They looked at each other for a moment in silence conversation. After a short moment the two of them got up and walked out of the Common Room.

_0000_0000_000_0000

Derek had sent word to Severus that Harry had already left the Infirmary and that he was heading to his dorm. As much as Severus wanted to be by Harry's side, as he did not like this new attitude that Harry was experiencing. He knew he needed to find out why Harry was acting the way he was.

Severus got up from his desk, walking to one of his many shelves of books and journals, looking for the right tome. Not only was Harry on his mind, but also a certain blond child. Even though he wasn't considered the boy's godfather anymore, that didn't mean that he didn't care for Draco. When Narcissa came over to his house right before the start of term, he had mentioned that Draco was hurt that Severus had indeed become distant. As it was her express orders that Severus no longer would be Draco's godfather. Severus was just as hurt. Deep down he would always care for his Dragon.

Pulling a tome off the shelf, he walked back over to his desk. He was just about to start looking through it when there was a knock on his door.

Thinking it was Draco, Severus closed the book and sat back in his chair. "Enter."

Severus received another surprise when he saw who walked in his office. Usually the twins didn't grace him with their company until their assigned time on Thursdays. Looking at them as they walked towards his desk, Severus could see that they wanted to talk about something.

"A little early for your detention," Severus remarked, looking at the twins before him.

"We need to talk to you," Fred said.

"Alright."

Fred and George looked at each other before George opened his mouth and spoke.

"We're worried about Harry."

"Aren't we all?" Severus retorted.

"Something's wrong with him," Fred said.

Severus sighed.

"I know," he said, getting up from his chair. "That's what I'm working on."

Walking back over to the shelves, Severus looked for another tome. Fred and George watched the Potions Master for a moment.

Severus turned quickly and looked at the twins.

"How are you feeling, George?"

"Fine," George shrugged.

Severus looked over the twin for a second before turning back around, reading the titles of the books on the shelves again.

"Trust that I am searching for a way to help Harry," Severus said after a moment of silence. He had not turned to look at the twins but knew that they were still standing there. "Keep an eye on him." Severus pulled a journal from the shelf and turned to face the twins. "If his attitude changes, changes at all, come to me."

"Yes, sir."

"Yes, Professor."

"Go," Severus said, dismissing them. "I expect you both back here Thursday for you detention."

"We could help you," Fred suggested.

"Help me by keeping an eye on Harry," Severus said, sitting back down behind his desk.

The twins nodded and walked out the office, letting their Professor get back to work. They knew they were being trusted with an important job and they were not going to let Professor Snape down. They walked back to their common room with determination in their steps.

_0000_0000_0000_000

Draco walked out of the castle and made his way towards the outer gates. Turning around, looking to see if he was being watched or followed, and when he saw that no one was around, he continued on to his destination. Walking the passageway towards Hogsmead, Draco went to where he was suppose to go.

The blond boy did not want to be here. Actually, he wished that he was still at Hogwarts. Anywhere inside Hogwarts. But after getting a missive earlier that day, he had to meet someone at the Hog's Head bar. The teen didn't particularly like that bar, but understood why the was the designated place. Walking in the bar, Draco noticed that it was slightly deserted for which he was glad about.

The missive informed him that he was to take a seat alone in the far corner. It wasn't hard for Draco to find one, as there were three empty corners. The thing that caused Draco concern was that whichever corner he picked, he would have to sit with his back to the door and wait for whomever to show up. Taking a breath and steeling his nerves, Draco sat down, wondering how long he would have to wait. His wait wasn't long. He felt a clawed hand wrap around his neck and the tip of a wand jamming hard against the hollow behind his ear.

"Did you tell anyone that you were coming here?" a voice growled in the teen's ear.

With his movements restrictive by the hand and the wand behind his ear, Draco managed to shake his head.

"Very good," the voice said, getting closer to Draco's ear.

Draco felt a chill go down his back. He knew that this was not going to be good. Not at all.

TBC