Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 63: Fears of the Heart

"POTTER!"

Harry's eyes snapped open at the roaring voice. Sitting up in the bed, he reached for his glasses that were on the night table. He was about to get out of the bed when the door burst open. Standing in the doorway was an enraged Potions Master.

In the beginning, Harry was smiling when he recognized who was standing at the door, but seeing the anger on the man's face, Harry's smile quickly vanished.

Severus took a step into the room and Harry audibly gulped.

"Da," Harry called out.

"What are you still doing here?" Severus sneered.

"I … I just wa … wanted to stay the night," Harry stuttered, fear showing in his eyes. "Like we planned."

Severus closed the distance between them and gripped Harry's nightclothes effectively pulling the smaller child out of the bed in one fluid motion.

"I told you to never darken my doorstep," Severus growled in the boy's ear. "Now, you have the audacity to break into my chambers as if you own it."

Harry was completely shocked at the accusation. Last night was back to normal. No hiding detentions. He actually got his da to smile. He gave him a kiss on the forehead. Again. What happened from him going to sleep to now?

During Harry's musing, he didn't realize he was being dragged out of his Da's chambers until they were in the sitting room. While he was being dragged, Severus pulled in him in such a way that Harry banged his knee into the side table next to the sofa. Harry cried out in pain from colliding with the table, but it didn't deter Severus from physically removing the boy from his chambers. As a result of hitting his knee, Harry tripped over his foot and fell towards the floor. He would have completely face-planted onto the carpet if Severus didn't have a tight grip on his top.

"Get up," Severus growled. "I want you out of here, you ungrateful whelp."

"Da, please," Harry gasped out as he tried to regain his footing while also pulling on the collar of his top as it was choking him.

Giving a mighty yank on the fabric gripped tightly in his hand, Severus pulled the boy to his feet and swung him so that he was standing in front of him. With now both hands gripping Harry's shirt, Severus pulled him closer until they were almost nose to nose. Harry standing on his tiptoes.

"You are to never, ever come to these chambers again," Severus growled. "If I ever see you outside of class again, I will give you detention that would rival what that Toad gave you. Do you understand me?"

The hate and venom that was radiating off of the man made Harry choke back a sob. There was no love in the man's eyes before him.

"Da, please," Harry tried to plead again.

"Stop calling me that," Severus roared, pushing Harry away from him.

Not being able to catch himself, Harry fell to the floor next to the door.

"As if I would ever want to be saddled with the likes of you. You're nothing but a burden. A complete waste of space."

Harry sat up. His breathing was erratic. Tears were streaming down his face. He looked around the room and saw that he was still in his room in his da's chambers. There was a light knock on the other side of the door.

"Harry, time for you to get up."

Harry recognized the voice of his da and it sounded no way like his nightmare. Hearing his da's leave from outside his room, his breathing started to calm down. He wiped his face with the backs of his hands, trying to get rid of any telltale signs of his nightmare.

Harry walked out of the room, down the hall, and saw Severus was reading the Daily Prophet, sitting in his armchair.

"I don't want to hear any excuses about you wanting to stay down here. You need to be in the Great Hall for breakfast," Severus said, without looking up from the paper.

Trying to push the nightmare from his mind, Harry swallowed attempting to rid himself of the lump that was growing in his throat.

When there was no response, Severus lowered the paper and looked up at Harry, who was still standing in the entryway. Narrowing his eyes, Severus put the paper on the side table. Getting up, he walked over to the child.

Harry saw his da walking towards him, remembering the nightmare and how his da forcefully gripped his shirt and pulled him out of his chambers, he took a step back.

Severus stopped in mid-stride. He could practically feel the fear coming off the child. The question was what was causing this fear? Was this still a side effect from the prolonged use of the quill? Did he overlook something?

Those and more questions were popping into Severus' head. One thing he knew for certain, Harry was afraid.

"Harry, child," Severus spoke in a calming tone. "What's wrong?"

Harry shook his head, afraid that if he spoke a single word, he would break down crying. Which seemed to be completely moot, as the first tear escaped and streamed down his cheek.

"Harry."

"Do I really have to?" Harry whispered, trying to keep his voice from shaking.

"Have to what, Harry?" Severus asked, slowly taking a step towards the child.

"Please don't send me away," Harry pleaded, as the sob that he was trying to choke back came out full force.

Within seconds Harry closed the gap between him and Severus and wrapped his arms around the man's torso. The breath left Severus' lungs when Harry collided with him, but Severus didn't move. He stood strong in his footing, quickly wrapping his arms around the child, his child.

"I am not sending you away forever, child," Severus said after a moment. "Just to breakfast, and then to classes." He didn't truly understanding what was wrong with him.

Harry shook his head, making his forehead grind into the Potions Master's chest.

"I won't be a bother, I promise," Harry said, his voice muffled by Severus' clothes. "I'll work. I'll clean. I've done it before. I can make you proud of me."

Severus couldn't make out everything that Harry was saying as the child's voice was muffled, but what he was hearing, he didn't like it. Needing to look at the boy, Severus let go of him in the attempt to grip his arms and push him back a little bit, so that he could see his face. That was proving to be harder than he realized because as soon as Severus moved his arms, Harry started whaling, gripping him tighter.

Much to Harry's dismay, Severus was successful in stepping back so that he could look at the child. Harry's face showed nothing but dejection and sadness. It broke Severus' heart. Reaching up and cupping Harry's head in his hands, Severus slightly lifted the boy's head so that he could look into those green eyes that were now washed with tears.

"Listen to me, Harry," Severus said. His tone was soft and soothing but firm so he could be sure that he had Harry's attention. "There is nothing that you need to do that would make me not be proud of you. I am already proud of you. Nothing will change that."

Severus stopped talking but did not release Harry's head. He wanted to make sure that Harry fully understood what he was trying to convey.

"Please don't send me away," Harry whispered through the tears that burned his throat. Two tears streamed down his face and pooled into Severus' hands.

Severus was completely floored by that statement. Send him away? Why would he? The Potions Master's brow furrowed as he tried to recall what he said if anything that would put Harry into this state. The only thing he said was that Harry had to go to the Great Hall for breakfast.

"Please don't send me away," Harry whispered again, bringing Severus out of his own musing.

Severus let go of Harry's head and quickly gripped the child's shoulders bringing him into a tight embrace.

Bending his head so that he was near his ear, Severus whispered, "I would never send you away. You are always welcome into these chambers. Your magic is connected to the portrait. Why you couldn't get in last night is a surprise to me."

Harry gave a wet chuckle to the last statement, gripping the back of Severus' clothes tighter. Last night, Harry honestly forgot that his magic was attached to these chambers and all he had to do was open the door, with or without the password.

"But to let you know that you are always welcomed and wanted in these chambers," Severus continued in the same soft tones. "The password is Lily."

Harry lifted his head and looked up at Severus. His hair matted to his forehead from pressing his face into Severus' chest. His face was stained with tears and snot from crying so hard. For the first time since waking up from that horrid nightmare, Harry felt happy, loved.

Severus didn't want to think of the state of his clothes, not that he really cared. His only concern was Harry's state of emotions. Looking into those emerald eyes, he could see the brightness again.

"Feeling a little better?" Severus asked. They still hadn't let go of each other.

Harry nodded, lowering his head until it was on Severus' chest again. Severus kissed the crown of the child's head causing Harry to beam with love. Harry would never understand how one simple action could cause such a wonderful reaction, but he loved it. Every minute of it.

"If you're feeling better," Severus stated, "Why don't you go and wash your face and we'll go to breakfast?"

Harry nodded not lifting his head. Giving Severus one final squeeze, Harry let him go and walked back to the bathroom to clean up. When Harry was out of sight, Severus leaned his head back looking at the ceiling and sighed. He was not prepared for this emotional outburst. Straightening back up, Severus wandlessly cast a cleansing charm on his clothes and gathered everything that he was going to need for the days classes. As he was getting everything ready, a new set of emotions overcame the man. He was feeling excitement. Today was his first day as Defense Professor. He had wanted this position for years, and now it has finally happened.

Harry walked back into the sitting room. Severus noticed the child's demeanor was different than earlier.

"Let's go to breakfast," Severus said and walked towards the door with Harry following behind.

_0000_000_0000_000_0000

Harry was sitting at the table with his friends, chattering away. This morning's breakdown a distant memory from his mind. Severus looked over at the group of teens from the head table and saw Harry laughing and talking with Ron and the twins.

Minerva was sitting next to Severus at the table, watching all the students.

Albus nodded over to Minerva and she clinked her glass goblet with her knife to get the children's attention.

After the third set of taps, all was quiet in the Great Hall.

"Good morning, students," Albus said, standing up. "I hope that you all had a wonderful and restful weekend. I have a few announcements that I would like to inform you about. As you may know, Professor Umbridge is no longer at this school." Before Albus could a loud roar of cheers erupted throughout the Hall. It took Minerva tapping her goblet six times before the children were back under control and was quiet again.

"As I was saying," Albus continued once it was quiet again. "Now that Professor Umbridge is no longer with us, there has been some changes in Professors. Firstly, I would like to introduce you to Professor Slughorn," Albus spread his hand and waved his arm in the direction of Horace, who was sitting on the other side of Albus opposite of Minerva. "He will be the new Potions Professor."

Shocked looks were all over the students learning that the new professor was the Potions professor and not the Defense Professor. None was more shocked than Harry. Harry eyes met onyx eyes. At first Harry was scared for his da, but when he looked at his da, he saw a gleam in the once dour man's eyes that almost made Harry laugh. Severus was excited, and Harry could actually see it.

"The new Defense Professor will be our very own Professor Snape," Albus continued.

_000_0000_0000_0000_000

After the initial shock of the Headmaster's announcements wore off, breakfast continued like normal. Everyone finished and left to gather their supplies that were going to be needed for the day's work. Everyone was curious about the new Potions Professor, wondering what he was going to be like in class. Professor Snape always ran a strict classroom and there was no illusion that Defense would be the same way, but Potions would be something completely new.

Harry, Ron and Hermione walked down to the dungeons, heading for their first Potions class with the new Professor.

"Do you think he'll be as strict as Snape?" Ron asked as they walked.

"I don't know," Hermione answered. "I know it will be different."

Harry didn't respond, but silently agreed with Hermione's statement. They walked into class and sat down in there usual seats. Everyone did. When Professor Slughorn walked into the class, he looked around.

"My, my, my," Slughorn said. "This will not do."

Everyone looked around to see what was wrong. Some were feeling dread as he may just be as bad as Umbridge.

"Look at how you are sitting," Horace continued, oblivious to the expressions he was getting. "We will have to change the seating arrangements."

Harry and Ron looked at each other. Horace began rearranging the seating in the classroom. When he was finished, Slytherin were sitting next to Gryffindors.

"Excellent," the professor beamed. "This is how you will sit for the rest of the year."

Harry inwardly moaned. The last thing he wanted was to be sitting next to Draco but he hated worse that he was sitting in the front of the class as if being shown off, instead of where he like sitting in the middle or towards the back of the room.

Harry looked over at Draco. With everything that has happened since the beginning of the term, Draco hadn't said much. Draco hadn't done much either. Usually he and Draco would be at each others throats, but this year was different as if Draco had something else occupying his time. Harry noticed that Draco had a distant look to him. It actually surprised him that he hadn't made a big deal about sitting next to him.

Harry blinked and looked down at the table surprised that he was thinking of the blond headed boy as Draco and not Malfoy. Sneaking another glance at Draco, Harry realized that without the taunts and jeers that Draco normally did, he was just like him; a teenager with a lot on his mind. Now that Draco wasn't being the prat that he usually was he actually wasn't hard for him to see a boy instead of a tyrant.

The class went on with no incidents, for which Harry was glad. It was kind of nice not being the focal point of a class, be it good or bad. For once, he was actually feeling like a regular student. That was, until the end of class.

"Mr. Potter, would you stay behind please?" Slughorn requested when everyone started to pack up their quills and parchments.

Harry froze. Ron and Hermione looked at Harry. Ron quickly stuffed his things in his bag and walked over to Harry.

"It's okay, Harry," Ron soothed, even though he didn't really know why, he just felt that it was something that his best mate needed to hear.

Harry looked up at his friends.

"We'll wait for you," Ron said when Hermione walked over to them.

Horace, not deterred from Ron's and Hemione's refusal to leave, walked over to the trio with a smile on his face.

"I've been waiting to get you alone, Harry," Horace said, ignoring the fact that both of Harry's friends were standing right next to him. "Your mother was an exceptional witch. I remember having her in my class. Such a joy to be around."

With everything that has happened, Harry was not expecting to hear praises of his mother. The tension seemed to melt away from Harry's shoulders.

"I spoke with Headmaster and I was granted permission to start my club back up again. I would be most honored if you would grace us with your presence."

Too awestruck from hearing about his mother to respond, Harry just looked at the Professor. Most of the time people would talk about his father but never his mother. It was a rarity and Harry wanted to hear as much as he could about his mother.

"Don't answer me now," Horace said, seeing what he thought was Harry's reluctance. "Give it some thought and let me know what you think."

Harry gave a nod and turned, walking out of the room. Hermione and Ron followed.

The trio walked up the steps heading for the third floor for their first Defense class with Professor Snape.

"Let's hurry," Hermione said, effectively bringing Harry out of his musing. "Or we'll be late for Defense."

With that statement, Harry hastened his steps as he didn't want to be late for his da's first Defense lesson. Sometimes it amazed Harry how so much has changed between him and the Potions now Defense Professor.

There was no need to go get books for this class, as Umbridge gave out books that were old and outdated for the class. When they walked in the classroom, they noticed that everyone was sitting down but Snape wasn't in the room.

Taking their usual seats, they waited patiently for their first class to start. As usual, Snape walked into the classroom in his most intimidating manner. Robe billowing behind him. Harry looked up at the stern man and did not feel the same way he did the first time he sat in his Potions class. Even though the man had a stern look about him, Harry noticed that Severus' eyes were almost dancing. Harry knew he was truly happy to finally be teaching a subject that he'd always wanted.

New books were passed out and class went on as usual. After assigning homework, Snape dismissed the students. Harry took his time packing his belongings. Both Ron and Hermione knew that Harry wanted to stay behind, so this time Ron patted Harry on the shoulder and walked out of the room followed by Hermione. When everyone was gone, Harry walked up to the desk, where Severus was gathering his things as well.

"Da."

Severus looked up, seeing that he was alone with his child.

"Harry," Severus said. "What is it?"

"Can we have supper together?" Harry asked. Harry was embarrassed by his display that morning and he wanted to make it up to his da. He felt like he ruined what would have been a perfect overnight stay. He hated that the nightmare had such a hold on him when he got up. He wanted to make it better.

Severus looked at the child standing before him and could see conflicting emotions coursing through the child. The boy really needed to learn not to show his emotions so much, Severus thought wryly. Forgoing his own rules about eating in the Great Hall, Severus nodded to Harry's request. He was rewarded by seeing the child grinning so much that it seemed to lighten his entire body not just his face.

"Thanks, da," Harry said, rushing to grab his things.

"Make sure you bring your homework with you," Severus called out when Harry reached the door.

"Of course," Harry said, smiling with his hand on the door handle. "I have a mean Defense professor that is sadistic with giving tons of homework."

Harry smirked and walked out of the room, leaving a laughing Severus as the door closed behind him.

Severus finished his packing and headed for the floo. He wanted to be there before his child showed up. For the first time Severus' heart felt light. He was actually happy. Like nothing or no one could dampen his feelings. Severus stepped through the floo not seeing the Notice Me Not charm canceling.

Standing in the corner was Albus. He was not happy. Not happy at all.

Chapter End Notes:
I know it has been a long time since I've updated my stories. I ask that you all give me some time as my last dog, Tightrope, I had to put down on the 6th of this month. He was the last of my household. Tightrope has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge and is in Heaven with my husband and Malachi and Latte, Tightrope's parents.