Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Rules of Engagement

The next thing Harry knew, Snape was calling to him from the doorway.

"Are you ready for dinner?" Snape asked.

"Of course!" Harry slurred, sitting up and rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Then let's get going," Snape prompted. Harry quickly grabbed his wand from the dresser, (couldn't be too careful), hid it beneath his clothes, and joined Snape into the living room.

"Did you sleep well?" Snape asked.

"Yes, thank you," Harry said, smiling. Snape was still awkward about the whole caring bit. Perhaps he always would be. But it made Harry smile to think that Snape was willing to try for him. Snape called out "The Leaky Cauldron!" and they flooed through together.

Once they arrived, Harry and Snape sat down at a booth in a quiet corner of the restaurant. They sat opposite each other, and Harry watched the other witches and wizards mill about and pick at their food. Harry realized just how much he appreciated the thought of not having to starve for the next three months.

A barmaid came up and cleared her throat pointedly. She looked all levels of unpleasant and she waited impatiently for Snape to acknowledge her. Harry was glad she hadn't seemed to notice him.

"Can I help you?" she snapped.

"Yes, I hope so," Snape replied smoothly. "I'll have a serving of shepherd's pie and a butterbeer, thank you. Harry? Have what you like." The girl looked at him oddly.

"Harry Potter?" she asked skeptically.

"Yes, ma'am," he muttered, feeling self conscious as the heat rose in his cheeks. "I'll just have the same thing." Harry shifted uncomfortably, unsure what the girl was thinking. Due to the Skeeter article in the Daily Prophet, what had happened at Privet Drive was common knowledge, and Harry hated that. He read the judgement in people's faces even when it wasn't there, and he knew it. He glanced up at her nervously, but quickly glanced away again. She was simply staring at him, still skeptically.

"If you would be so kind as to see to our food," Snape snapped, breaking the awkward silence.

"Of course," she nodded, and left.

"Why do people have to be so blasted unpleasant all the time?" Snape grumbled. Harry chuckled, considering the record levels of unpleasantness that the speaker had been known to cause. Snape rested an elbow on the table and then held his chin in his hand, drumming absently on the table with the other.

"Sir?" Harry asked hesitantly.

"Yes?" Snape asked, focusing his attention on the boy across from him.

"I just wanted to say thank you," Harry said. "For everything. I mean, the adoption, taking me in, helping me, helping Sirius become a ghost..." Harry's voice drifted off.

"It's fine," Snape dismissed kindly.

"I think you wanted to talk about house rules for the summer?" Harry asked, shifting uncomfortably. Talking about rules never boded well.

"Oh, right," Snape said. "Ask questions. If anything is every unclear or there's something you want to know, just ask." Harry looked confused. "That's the first rule," Snape clarified. Harry's mouth made a silent "Oh," and his confusion didn't dissipate.

"Alright, I'm confused," he finally admitted. "How is that a rule?"

"I don't want you doing something stupid because you've failed to ask a question," Snape explained. "I know it might be hard for you to do so, but I don't want you assuming things that are wrong because of that."

"Okay," Harry agreed. "I think I can do that." The barmaid came back carrying their food and set it down wordlessly, and stalked away. Harry felt a deep pang of guilt as she didn't even glance at him, and he wondered if that wasn't for the best. He doubted he would have liked the expression on her face if she had. Harry picked up his fork and began to eat.

"Don't let her bother you," Snape murmured softly, as he, too, began to eat. Harry shrugged, but his throat felt tight, and he didn't want to trust his voice at the moment. "Which brings me to the next rule," Snape continued. "I want to know if something is bothering you. I want to know if you're in trouble of some sort, because I'll be better at getting you out of it than you will, most likely. I've probably been involved in every problem you could ever be in at one point or another in my life." Harry nodded, remembering the last few times he hadn't told Snape when he was in trouble, and the dire consequences. He thought he could do that, too.

"Additionally, I would like you to show up to meals on time. Breakfast will be at eight, lunch at noon, and dinner at six. I want you to eat a decent amount, and take care of yourself. Lastly, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't wander too far from Spinner's End. It's a bad neighborhood, and you could get in trouble very easily with the wrong sort of people. Don't go out at night alone." Before Harry could say anything, Snape continued quickly, "I don't mean to make unreasonable rules, Harry. If Spinner's End were in a better neighborhood, I would be giving you a curfew rather than telling you not to go out at night at all. I just want you to be safe."

"I understand," Harry nodded. "I wouldn't really want to go out at night anyway."

"Is that alright with you then?" Snape verified. "Are all the rules acceptable?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said, through a mouthful of food.

"Do you have any questions?"

"Well," Harry began, hesitating a bit and glancing around nervously.

"Yes?" Snape prompted patiently.

"What happens if I break the rules?" Harry asked. Then he quickly added, "Not that I'm planning to, honest. I just want to know what to expect if I mess up."

"So you're asking about punishment?" Snape asked. Harry nodded and hung his head. He had been trying to avoid the word, because he didn't want to associate Snape's discipline with what he had received at the Dursleys. Come to think of it, Harry realized that he and Snape really had never talked about what had happened at Privet Drive except for Vernon's abuse of him over the previous summer. Perhaps they would have talked about it more if it hadn't been for that. Harry hoped Snape would never ask.

"Well, I think essays are an appropriate punishment," Snape began. "What do you think?" Harry's eyes got wide.

"So...so you won't keep me in my room or anything?" Harry didn't think Snape would withhold food from him, seeing how neurotic the man was about him eating enough. But maybe once he put on some weight, maybe then it wouldn't matter so much if he was denied a meal. Harry didn't want to ask about that though, in case Snape would take offence from the question. Harry also didn't believe Snape would hit him, because Snape had refused to use the belt when Harry had stayed out past curfew at Hogwarts the previous year, and that was before they had built any rapport and Snape had been furious.

"We may opt to give each other space at some point," Snape cautioned. "I would imagine that there will be conflicts. Any staying in your room that you do will be voluntary." Snape's voice dropped in volume, and Harry had to strain to hear. "I promise I won't hurt you, Harry. I won't hit you, ever." Harry began to shove the vegetables from one side of the plate to the other as he rested his temple against his hand, elbow braced against the table.

"Didn't say you would," Harry muttered.

"I know," Snape murmured, not sounding hurt or offended, thank goodness. Harry didn't feel like talking anymore.


Severus sat across from Harry, and he worried about the boy. Harry receded into his shell, and Severus was reluctant to draw him out, simply because he wanted to respect Harry's privacy. He wondered just how deep Harry's scars ran, and he wasn't thinking about the boy's physical ones. He had seen those within the first twenty-four hours of the adoption and while appropriately appalled, he hadn't been, strictly speaking, surprised. The only thing that had surprised him was the number. Severus had been unable to shake that image from his mind over the past half a year. Harry standing shirtless, braced against the wall, his back scarred from previous beatings, expecting the same treatment at his hands. And then and there, Severus renewed his vow to protect Harry with everything he was, up to and including his last breath.

Severus watched Harry pick at his food, and neither said a word. He wished he could do more for the boy, and felt inadequate when, in instances like this, it was apparent that what he was doing wasn't enough. He ate a couple bites of his own meal.

"I'll be happy to help you with your summer homework," Severus offered offhandedly.

"Thanks," Harry laughed. "I'm sure I'll need it. It'll be the first time I'll even be able to try at it."

"What do you mean?" Severus asked casually. A shadow passed over Harry's face, and he shrugged.

"Never was allowed to do anything freaky over the summer," Harry muttered, carefully putting food in his mouth right after.

"Mm," Severus acknowledged sadly, unsure what to say. It was just another thing he had written off to arrogance and had never considered any other possibility. Perhaps if he had been more observant, less biased and judgemental, it could have saved Harry a lot of pain and trouble. Severus felt like kicking himself in the arse.

Harry put his fork down and leaned back. He had eaten about half of the meal, but Severus was still pleased that Harry was trying to eat. Usually Harry had been eating more, but with the nerves and topics of conversation tonight, Severus understood Harry's lack of appetite.

"Shall we head back then?" Severus suggested. Harry nodded. Severus summoned a to-go box and moved Harry's leftovers. Harry picked up the box and they flooed back to Spinner's End.

"You can put the leftovers in the fridge," Severus instructed. "I was intending to do some grocery shopping tonight. Would you care to come along?" Severus was also wary of going out alone after sunset.

"Yes, of course," Harry agreed happily.


When they returned, Harry and Severus each carried two bags. Severus didn't own a car, but luckily the supermarket was only a few blocks down the street. They began to put the milk, butter, and other perishables in the fridge and sorted the bread, baking soda, and peanut butter on the counter.

"I have books on the shelves in the living room," Severus began. "Feel free to read whatever you want, just be warned that a few would probably be banned from the restricted section at Hogwarts, and I don't recommend them."

"Why don't you just get rid of them then?" Harry asked absently, as he put a few more things in the fridge.

"Knowledge is hard to come by," Severus shrugged. "I'm hesitant to get rid of them because they're a link to the past. There were a few good things in my past too, you know."

"How would books about dark magic remind you of anything good?"

"Perhaps good wasn't the correct word," Severus amended. "Perhaps I should have said 'less bad.' I don't entirely know how to explain it, Harry. Have you ever felt the desire to keep something, even though there's nothing that should make you want to keep it?"

"No," Harry said, shaking his head. "I've never had that opportunity." Severus shrugged, and was ready to let the subject drop, but Harry wasn't.

"So, if something reminds you of something you'd rather forget, why don't you just get rid of it?" Harry asked. "Are you being sentimental?"

"Harry," Severus said softly, feeling a certain ruefulness envelope him, "if I got rid of everything that reminds me of something I'd rather forget, I would have nothing. I wouldn't even be alive." Harry looked as though someone had slapped him for a moment, but then his face closed off and he nodded.

"I'm sorry," Harry murmured, as he put the last of the groceries away.

"That's alright," Severus replied. They were silent a moment, each lost in their own thoughts.

"Oh, do I have a bedtime?" Harry asked quickly.

"No," Severus said. "Just be up in time for breakfast."

"Okay," Harry agreed. Severus washed his hands and went to the living room, and Harry followed him. Severus turned on a lamp on an endtable, and it flickered to life.

"Damn," Severus cursed under his breath. He drew his wand and cast a quick reparo. The lamp shone brightly.

"A short?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Severus grouched, annoyed with the lamp. "I fixed that last year. I fixed a lot of this last year, but it always breaks again when I'm not keeping it up. Pretty soon it won't even stay fixed when I'm here." Quickly, Severus cast a few more reparo charms on the worst parts of the furniture. Then he put a fire in the fireplace, and went to the shelves, selected a book, and sat on the couch. Harry did likewise and sat next to Severus, closer than strictly necessary, Severus noted, and he felt a warm sense of pride wash over him.

While not one for physical displays of affection, Severus put his arm around Harry and pulled him close. Harry sighed contentedly and settled himself comfortably next to Severus.

"What did you pick?" Severus asked.

"A Brief History of Time," Harry replied.

"Science," Severus observed. "You like science?"

"Don't know," Harry shrugged. "Is this a good book to find out?"

"An excellent one," Severus approved. "Yet you know what a short is."

"Well, of course." Harry's eye roll was apparent in his voice. "You're not told to fix them without learning a bit about them!"

"I think you'll find that book a little different than a hands on manual," Severus continued. "It's more theoretical. You probably won't ever use the information. It can be fun to read about though." Harry opened the book and began to read.

They began to read in companionable silence, and some time later, Severus realized that Harry had fallen asleep against him. Severus smiled, and laid his cheek affectionately on Harry's head as he continued to read. Severus blamed it on the adoption that he could feel that much for any human being. He knew he wasn't an empathic man, but he still was able to feel Harry's pain as though it were his own. He still continued to be honored by Harry's trusting faith in him, even after the fiasco in Malfoy's dungeon. Severus hadn't forgiven himself for that, and he doubted he ever would, even though Harry had.

"I wish I knew how you stayed so pure, so good, though all of that," Severus whispered to the sleeping boy, as he thought about all the abuse that had happened over the past fourteen years.

Suddenly, Harry stiffened in his arms, and Severus knew it was nightmare. He'd seen it multiple times, and knew not to let it continue. He shook Harry gently.

"Harry, wake up," he called urgently, though calmly. "It's just a nightmare. You're at Spinner's End, and you're safe. No one will harm you." It was a recitation that he had come to say every time he caught Harry in a nightmare. Though up until this point, he had always informed Harry that he was at Hogwarts. Harry gasped as he woke up, and pushed himself upright as he caught his breath.

"Thanks," Harry said, nodding his gratitude. Severus nodded back.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Severus asked. He always asked.

"No," Harry said promptly. He always declined. Severus wasn't going to give up asking about the nightmares, because he knew it was going to be an integral step to healing for Harry. It just had to be when the boy was ready. Forcing the issue wasn't going to help, but perhaps one of these times, Harry would take him up on the offer. Severus wondered how good of a psychotherapist he could possibly be.

"It's getting late," Severus commented. "I think I'll be going to bed."

"I probably should too," Harry agreed.

"Harry, I want you to come get me if you have any problems during the night," Severus reminded him with a pointed look. "That includes any more nightmares and panic attacks."

"I'm not a baby," Harry muttered, seeming defeated.

"Of course not," Severus agreed. "Babies wouldn't have the capacity to ask for help when they need it." Harry shook his head ruefully. "I'm serious. I want you let me know if there's any problems. Problems always seem bigger at night. We both know this. It's no different than when you spend the night in my chambers at Hogwarts." Harry often spent the night in Severus' chambers, and the only reason this was permissible was because of the blood adoption. When he did, Severus had transfigured a cot for Harry and placed it next to his own bed. When it became clear that Harry was staying on a semi-regular basis, Severus gave in and simply put a second bed in the room permanently. There was a small walkway between them, but it allowed Severus to keep a close eye on Harry during the nights when the boy struggled the most.

"Don't make me put a monitoring charm on you," Severus threatened.

"You wouldn't!" Harry gasped, horrified. It was a charm often used on infants in case anything went wrong.

"I most certainly will if you refuse to cooperate," Severus declared. The beginnings a smile were tugging at his lips.

"Okay, okay, I'll cooperate!" Harry agreed sulkily.

"Then get to bed," Severus laughed, tousling Harry's messy mop playfully. Harry laughed and they bid each other good night in the hallway.


Harry quickly changed into his nightwear, and crawled under the covers of his bed. The moon shone through the bars on the window as Harry lay on his back and looked at the night sky. It was a clear night, and the stars were bright. He felt restless, and very much not-tired anymore. He lay in the bed, tossing and turning, but not relaxing into a sleeplike state at all.

The house was too quiet. Harry had grown accustomed to the Gryffindor dormitories or Snape's chambers, and in either one, he could hear the breathing of his friends or protector. On an impulse, Harry got out of bed, grabbed his wand, and stripped the mattress of its sheets and pillow, walking down the hallway towards Snape's room, being careful to step quietly. He was skilled at walking silently; he had to be to knick food from the Durlsey's kitchen.

He was an early riser, and he knew Snape slept late whenever he could. It would work out perfectly, if he just slept in the doorway, and made sure to make his bed before Snape could guess how childish he was being.

Severus slept with his door open; it was easier to hear if anything was threatening, and Harry understood that. Out of respect for Snape's request to stay out of his bedroom save if Harry needed something, he threw the pillow on the floor right in the doorway and lay down next to it, tossing the sheets over himself. He didn't like the hardness of the floor, but he didn't mind it either. He had slept in worse places. Despite Snape's warning not to cast any magic, Harry cast a silencing charm on himself. It wouldn't do for him to have a nightmare and wake Snape while in the man's doorway. Harry felt himself relax immediately as he watched Snape's sleeping form and listened to the soft breathing of the only other human being in the house.