Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 10: Adding One More

Severus was sitting in the chair that Harry previously was in when he arrived in the library. Harry was asleep in his arms. Severus was worried about Lucius and about Draco, absentmindedly rubbing his son's back.

A phoenix patronus came into the library. There was no message, but Severus knew that Albus wanted to see him. Severus slowly stood up, maneuvering Harry so that he was on his hip. Harry, not waking, laid his head on his father's shoulder. His arms limp by his side. Severus made his way to the Headmaster's office.

When he walked in the office, Severus was slightly surprised that Albus wasn't sitting behind his desk. He was, in fact, sitting in one of his overly plush chairs facing the fireplace.

"I think it would be best if we are together when we hear the news," Albus said, not even looking back at Severus.

Severus didn't reply as he walked further into the office. When he got to where Albus was sitting, Severus saw that Draco was again in his lap asleep.

Poor Dragon, Severus thought. He must have cried himself into exhaustion.

Severus, not wanting to move Harry's sleeping form too much, silently widened the empty chair next to Albus. When he sat down, Harry was draped over his chest. Not once did Harry stir. He nuzzled down into Severus' comfort.

Both men were lost in thought when Minerva arrived in the office. She walked over to Severus and Harry first. Leaning down, she kissed Severus on the forehead and ran her fingers through Harry's fringe. Harry stirred a bit, turning his head into Severus' neck and shoulder, as if reassuring himself of his safety, but did not wake. Minerva looked over at Albus and Draco in the other chair and her heart broke for them. Draco would probably lose both parents. No child should have to feel that kind of loss at such a young age. It broke her heart when the Potters died and the loss that Harry felt knowing that he didn't have parents. Now, Draco was about to experience the same loss. Harry now was a little different as now he'd learned that he still had a father, but Draco. Minerva knew that Severus would be there for his Dragon.

Minerva walked over to Albus and put her hand on his shoulder. She could see the guilt in the man's eyes. She knew that Albus was blaming himself for not getting Lucius and Narcissa out of that situation sooner. Albus looked up at her and gave her a sad smile. She gave him a comforting squeeze.

At that moment, the floo flared and Poppy stepped through. Everyone knew that if she came instead of calling that the news wasn't good. The grave look on the matron's face and everyone knew.

"I couldn't revive him," Poppy said, solemnly.

Severus' arms tightened around his son as he lowered his head on the mop head that was laying on his chest.

Albus looked down at the child in his arms. Tears streamed down his face as he knew the hard road ahead for the young child.

Albus raised his head and looked at Poppy. "Did you...?"
"I did," Poppy said, cutting Albus off.

Minerva looked between the two of them wondering what it was that they were talking about.

"Albus," Severus' voice was a little muffled as his head was still leaning down on top of Harry's. "Please get the paperwork so that I can adopt Dragon."

"Of course, my boy," Albus said.

Severus lifted his head and looked at his adoptive mother.

"Arrangements need to be made," he began, but Minerva held up her hand.

"I'll take care of the arrangements," she said. "You just worry about being there for Draco and Harry."

"Let's get these children to bed," Albus said after a moment of silence. "There is much to be done."

Looking down at the small blond-headed child in his arms, Albus kissed the sleeping form on the forehead. With an ease that surprised Minerva, Albus stood with the child still in his arms.

"Come, Severus," Albus said, walking towards his bedroom. "We'll put the children together."

Severus looked at the Headmaster and to his mother. Not really thinking if putting both Harry and Draco in the same room was a good idea, he stood up and followed Albus to the room.

When he walked into the room, Albus was already putting Draco to bed. Severus walked to the other side of the bed and laid Harry down. Minerva was standing in the doorway as she watched the gentlemen with the boys.

"Do you think this is a good idea?" Minerva asked. "They do not really care for each other enough to lay in the same bed."

"They will need each other now," Albus said, straightening back up. "Harry will understand what Draco is now going through."

"And what about Dragon?" Minerva argued. "Harry may understand, but this is completely new for Draco. You know how Draco can be."

"I think Draco will do fine," Albus said, walking towards Minerva. He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek before leaving the room. Severus gave the boys one more glance and then followed Albus out of the room.

Minerva, not trusting that things would be calm when the boys woke, cast a charm on the bed to let her know when one or both of them got out of the bed.

_000_0000_0000

The first thing Harry noticed was that what he was laying on was a lot softer than his dad. He remembered his dad coming into the library. It surprised him when he felt himself being picked up, but he could tell that his dad needed him. Guilt began to creep up belly. He didn't mean to fall asleep. His dad needed him, but the rubs on his back felt so comforting and relaxing that he couldn't help it.

Harry stretched, rolling over, he noticed that he wasn't alone. Laying on his back, he could see that he was in an unfamiliar room. When he turned his head to the other side of the bed, he saw platinum blond hair. Quickly sitting up, Harry jumped out of bed. He was shocked that he was in the same bed, much less the same room with Malfoy, but he couldn't stop looking at the boy. Slowly and quietly, Harry moved to the other side of the bed. He wanted to get a better look at the boy, his rival.

Looking at his face, Harry could see that he was no different than him. He could see dried tear tracks on his cheeks. Harry remembered going to sleep when he was living with his relatives the many, many nights of crying himself to sleep, hoping someone would love him. The more he watched Draco, he couldn't continue to be mad at him. He, of all people, understood what he was going through.

"Are you done staring?"

Harry jumped at the voice and quickly turned facing the door. Severus was standing there, leaning on the door jam.

"Is Mr. Malfoy alright?" Harry asked, looking back at Draco's sleeping form.

"Come, son," Severus said, holding out his hand. "Let's let Draco sleep."

Harry stood there for a moment longer and then walked over to his dad's outstretched hand. The two of them left quietly out of the room.

_000_0000_0000_000

Draco wasn't as asleep as he let on. Actually, he woke up a few minutes after he was placed on the bed. He heard Grandpa Albus, and Aunt Minnie talking. He was surprised to know he was in the bed with Potter, but after seeing his father and all the blood, he just didn't seem to care where he was or who was next to him. Draco knew that his parents were doing something dangerous. It scared him. He over heard his parents talking about what it was that needed to be done. He could hear the fear in his mother's voice when she would tell him, almost beg, that he would stop, but it was always one more. Now his mother was gone, probably dead. That thought alone, made tears leak through Draco's closed eyelids. And his dad … more tears leaked from his eyes.

He felt Potter moving, so he held his breath and tried not to move. He did not want to deal with Potter right now.

Grandpa Albus said that he would know how I felt, Draco thought. He couldn't understand how he would know. His godfather was Potter's dad. How could Potter know how he felt?

Draco felt Potter get off the bed. He heard Potter walk around the room. He could practically feel the other boy's eyes on him, and it took a lot to keep still to give the rouse of sleeping.

"Is Mr. Malfoy alright?"

Draco almost opened his eyes in complete shock, hearing that question. Potter sounded genuinely concern. How could that be? He was his father not Potter's. Why would Potter care if my father was alright or not?

In Draco's silent rant, he didn't hear Harry leave until his godfather closed the door. The soft click of the door brought Draco out of his musings again.

He opened his eyes as two more tears streamed down, one over the bridge of his nose to meet the other tear that was soaking his pillow. Draco knew the answer to that question, even though no one want to come out and say anything to him.

_0000_000_0000_000

Severus walked out of the office and did not stop until he got to his destination. Harry followed, wondering where they were going, but did not speak on it. He just quietly followed his dad.

Severus stopped his trek when he got to the Black Lake. Harry looked around the area before looking up at his dad, expectantly.

"Dad?" Harry asked.

"Sit with me," Severus said, sitting down on the stone bench that was under the huge tree by the lake.

Harry looked around at the picturesque surroundings before making his way over to his dad and sitting next to him. He had no idea what his dad wanted to talk about.

"This place has always been a safe haven for me," Severus said, looking around. "Whenever things got to tough or I just needed some alone time, I would come here and just sit, listening to the birds, hearing the water of the lake."

"It's really nice," Harry said, absentmindedly.

"It is," Severus nodded. "I wanted you to see this place, Harry."

"Okay," Harry said, looking up at his dad. "Why are you telling me this?"

Severus looked down at his son, sitting next to him. "I want you to know that if ever you need a place to escape, here is the place. It will alleviate your habit of nightly strolls. And if you ever do need to use this place, I will know where you are. And if I come down and I see that you clearly do not want company, then I will stay back until you invite me in." Harry nodded and Severus continued. "The same goes for me and Draco."

Severus knew adding Draco to this list of people who used this place did not result in the reaction he thought he would get. Harry just looked at his dad, then he nodded and looked back across the lake.

"Nothing to say?" Severus asked, bracing himself for whatever tantrum his son would bring.

Harry looked up at his dad and said nothing. He just shook his head.

_0000_0000_0000

Draco sat up in the bed and looked around. He wanted, needed, to get out of this room. He loved his Grandpa Albus very much, but he just could not stay in this room any longer, already knowing that his dad was dead.

Quietly getting up and walking towards the door, Draco cracked the door and peered out into the hallway. He didn't hear anything, but he knew that didn't mean that no one was around. As silently as he could, he crept out of the room and down the hallway. When he saw that no one was in the front office, Draco made a dash for the door. He didn't care where anyone was. He just knew he wanted to be alone.

Running down the spiral staircase, he ran past the stone gargoyle and kept going, not caring where he was headed.

_0000_0000_0000_0000

Minerva was in her office making arrangements when a quiet ringing in her ear let her know that Harry and Draco were up. When she was about to stand up, the ringing stopped, signaling that someone turned off the charm. Knowing that only Severus and Albus knew about it, Minerva sat back and finished her work. She figured Severus or Albus could handle the children for a little while.

It only took a few more moments to finish what she was doing and send off the paperwork to the Ministry via the Floo network. Minerva didn't think she would have to make these arrangements and fill out paperwork on another former student. When she did the paperwork and arrangements for James and Lily Potter it broke her heart. In her thinking, it should have been the other way around. She had lived her life. James and Lily were just starting their lives. And now she was doing it all over again with Lucius Malfoy.

Minerva looked down at her desk. She still had the paperwork for Narcissa Malfoy nee Black. A tear streamed down her cheek. She just couldn't send in her paperwork as well as her husband's. Call it crazy, but Minerva wanted to see a body. She wanted true confirmation that Narcissa was indeed dead before sending in that letter.

Wiping the tear off of her face, Minerva collected herself and decided she wanted to see her grandsons.

When she got to the stone gargoyle, she saw that it was still moved to the side, and the staircase was visibly seen. Not liking what she was seeing, Minerva went upstairs. She was met with an empty office. She walked down the hallway to the room that had Draco and Harry in. When she walked into the room, her heart dropped. Both Harry and Draco were gone.

_00000_00000_0000

"What are you thinking about?" Severus asked Harry.

Harry looked up at his dad after staring at the lake for a long while.

"Nothing," Harry said shaking his head. "Thinking about Draco. I mean, I don't know how he feels. I never knew my dad, I mean James," Harry quickly amended, "and I only found out about you."

"For ten years, you believed that your parents were dead. I think you do know what Draco is feeling," Severus said.

Harry nodded.

"But I have you now," Harry said.

"That you do," Severus said. "This will be very tough for Draco. I am hoping that this will, as tragic as it is, bring you two to an understanding.

"Oh, Severus," Minerva called out, rushing down the pathway.

Severus and Harry turned in her direction, standing up.

"Mother," Severus said, seeing her worried expression. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, Harry, I was so worried," Minerva breathed. "Have you seen Draco?"

"Draco? He was still asleep when I got Harry."

"He's not there."

"Where's Albus?" Severus asked, gripping Harry's arm and heading back towards the castle.

"I don't know," Minerva said, following him. "He wasn't in his office when I got there."

"Let's go to the Infirmary," Severus said, once they got to the bottom of the stairs.

Once they got to the Infirmary doors, Albus and Poppy were just coming out.

"Severus, Minerva," Albus said. "What's going on?"

"Draco's missing," Minerva informed him.

Harry didn't follow all the way to the Infirmary. He thought about what his dad said. Maybe he did understand what Draco was feeling. If that was the case, then maybe he knew where Draco was.

When he started at Hogwarts, he learned the truth about Lily and James. Even though he tried not to show it, it broke him up. He dad talked about his wandering around the corridors at night, but sometime he just had to go somewhere where he could breathe. He felt like the walls were closing in on him and he couldn't take a breath. It was only one place where he felt at ease. Harry watched as his dad and his grandma walked up the stairs. When they turned down the hallway where the Infirmary was, Harry looked up.

_0000_0000_00000_000

Draco was tired. His legs hurt. His feet were sore. He didn't think he'd ever ran that fast and that long before. Looking around, he knew where he was. Opening the rickety door, he was met by the school's owls. He hadn't been up here before. He did write his mum and dad during the school year, but he usually gave his letter to his Uncle Sev to send off for him. Living in the dungeons it didn't make since to climb all the way to the top of the castle to send a letter. Looking around, he always thought that it was dirty and disgusting up here. Walking around the room, he could see it was clean and it didn't smell like this room harbored owls.

Draco walked over to the window and looked out. He took a deep breath. It felt so refreshing, like it was the first breath he took in a long time. Tears stung his eyes, but he could breathe.

A snow white owl flew over and landed on the windowsill next to the child. Draco looked at the owl and for some reason he felt comforted. He knew who's owl it was and was a little shocked that she was next to him. Draco slowly reached out to pet the soft creature. Fearful that it might bite, he moved slowly. Just because he didn't use the owlery didn't mean he didn't know how dangerous strange owls could be. When his fingers touched to soft feathers, the owl slightly tilted its head.

"She won't bite."

Draco's hand quickly fell away from the owl and turned towards the voice.

"You can pet her," Harry said, walking towards the two of them. "Believe me, somehow, she understands."

Draco just looked at Harry. It was nothing like the last time they stood face to face. There was no anger between them.

Harry made it over towards them and started petting his owl.

"This is Hedwig," Harry introduced. "She really gentle. You can pet her."

Draco, still shocked by Harry's attitude, dumbly reached out and started stroking the owl's, Hedwig's, soft feathers again.

The two boys just stood there, saying nothing, looking out at the sky view of the castle.

TBC