Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 16: The Ministry Pays

Harry was laying on the bed. It felt comfortable. His legs didn’t hurt that much. He was glad to be back with his dad and brother. A hand grabbed his ankles. Harry opened his eyes and saw the man sitting on the end of the bed. Before Harry could get air into his lungs to scream for his dad, the man gripped Harry’s ankle, sliding the child towards him.

“Let me go,” Harry screamed. “Daddy! Let me go. Daddy!”

Harry tried and failed to kick the man. When he swung his leg, the man grabbed his other ankle. The man pulled him the rest of the way until Harry was forced to stand in front of the man.

When Harry looked up, he saw the source of his pain. The man that took him away from his home and family. Josiah.

“You will learn your place,” Josiah growled.

Josiah picked Harry up and forcefully put the child over his lap. Harry screamed, trying to wiggle out of the man’s grasp.

“Daddy! Daddy!”

“Your daddy can’t help you,” Josiah said, mockingly.

Josiah raised his hand above his head and brought it down with ferocity. The first smack made Harry buck on the man’s lap. The next smack caused Harry to buck again. The pain was unbearable.

Harry felt someone shaking him. The pain continued to increase. Everything hurt. When he felt hands under his arms, Harry was hoping that the pain would stop. Harry felt himself being pressed against a hard but comfortable object. There was something comforting about the encasement of his body. Soothing words began to wash over Harry.

“Wake up, little one. No one will hurt you. You are safe now. Daddy has you. It’s okay. Wake up for me.”

Harry began to smell his comfort. Potion ingredients. Men’s washing soap. He could hear the sounds of a heartbeat. Daddy. His daddy was here.

“Wake up for me. It’s alright. I’m here.”

Harry’s arms hurt, but he wanted to wrap his arms around his daddy. Slowly, Harry pulled his arms from his father’s hold and wrapped them around Severus’ neck.

Severus started to rock from side to side.

“Daddy,” Harry whimpered.

“I’m right here,” Severus said.

“He hurt me, daddy,” Harry said, tearfully. “He wouldn’t stop.”

Severus didn’t want to talk about this now, but if Harry was opening up, he would use this information later on.

“Who was he?” Severus asked. “What happened?”

Harry nuzzled in his father’s neck. His arms tightened around Severus. It wasn’t tight, but Severus knew he wanted comfort. That was what he was going to give his son.

After a long moment, Severus thought that Harry fell back asleep. Severus didn’t really need details about what happened. Amelia gave him the basics. That was enough. But if Harry was opening up, Severus would be there to show his support.

“When I woke up,” Harry whispered. “I was in this room. There was only a cot in there. This man came in and he said…”

“What did he say?” Severus asked when Harry didn’t finish.

“He said that,” Harry started, then turned his head so he was pressing his forehead against Severus’ shoulder. “He said that I had been taken from my relatives and he was sending me back. But you promised that I wouldn’t go back. You said it.”

Harry was getting louder and louder. Severus didn’t want Harry to have a panic attack, so he rubbed Harry back, lightly. He didn’t want to hurt Harry anymore. 

“Calm down, buddy,” Severus soothed. “I’m right here. Your right. I did say that. And I meant that. What happened next?”

“He grabbed for me,” Harry said. “I tried to get away, daddy. I really did.” Severus started shushing him. “But he grabbed my ankle.”

“What did he do after that?”

“He put me over his lap,” Harry said.

His throat tightened up just remembering what he went through.

“Daddy,” Harry cried. “He hit me. And he hit me. He wouldn’t stop. It hurt so bad. I wanted him to stop, but he wouldn’t. He just kept hitting and hitting. I thought I would never be able to sit down again. I was crying and crying and screaming for him to stop, but he wouldn’t. He just kept hitting and hitting…”

Harry couldn’t hold it in anymore. The tears came. Harry turned his head to the crook of his dad’s neck and started to cry. He cried for the pain he was subjected to. He cried that he was taken. He cried because he didn’t know if it would happen again. He didn’t want to leave his dad and Dray again. He wanted to run away. Somewhere far away so no one could find him or his family.

“Shhh,” Severus soothed. “Shhh, it’s okay. I’m here. He won’t hit you like that ever again. Daddy promises.”

“I don’t want to be taken away again,” Harry wailed.

“Oh, buddy,” Severus soothed. “You won’t be taken away. I will do my best to keep you and Dragon safe.”

For the first time in a while, Harry felt comforted by that. Knowing that his dad was going to make sure that this wouldn’t happen again made everything great. For the first time Harry felt safe.

Severus felt Harry relax in his arms. Severus knew he needed to put Harry back to bed, but for now, so that he wouldn’t rush to the Ministry and kill this Josiah, he would hold on to Harry for a while longer.

Ten minutes later, Harry was asleep in Severus’ arms. Movement on the double cot, brought Severus out of his musing.

“Is everything okay?” Draco asked, sleepiness in his voice.

“Yes,” Severus said, quietly. “It’s fine. Go back to sleep. You’ll need to be well rested if you’re going to look after your brother.”

Severus smirked when he saw Draco smile and lay back down. Minutes later, he fell back asleep.

___000___000___000

Gilderoy got up early and got ready for the day. To make sure that he was primp and pressed, he would take extra care in the bathroom. After he made sure that his hair was perfect (not a strand out of place), he headed to the Headmaster’s office.

When he got to the griffin, he noticed that it was already opened, and the steps were visible. Once he got to the top, he knocked. After a muffled command to come in, Gilderoy let himself in.

Albus was sitting behind his desk finishing up some paperwork so that he would have what he needed when he went to the Ministry. When he was finished writing, he looked at Gilderoy over his half-moon glasses.

“Would you care to tell me what happened yesterday in the Infirmary?” Albus asked, leaning back in his chair.

“It was just a misunderstanding,” Gilderoy said, dismissively.

“A misunderstanding,” Albus echoed. “Then why did I see you manhandle my grandson?”

“An oversight on my part,” Gilderoy said. “It will not happen again.”

“I would hope not,” Albus said. “It is still not too late to find another Defense professor.”

Gilderoy gulped.

“I would not like to do that,” Albus said, coolly. “But if I have to, I will. I don’t want to hear that you are mistreating my students, my grandsons included.”

“I apologize,” Gilderoy said, slightly bowing. “It will not happen again.”

“See that it doesn’t,” Albus said.

Gilderoy turned to head out of Albus’ chambers when he was stopped.

“We’re not finished,” Albus said.

“Forgive me,” Gilderoy said, walking back to Albus’ desk.

“There is one more thing I would like to address,” Albus said, his fingers steepled under his chin. “The reason you went to the Infirmary.”

“Yes,” Gilderoy said.

“Enlighten me,” Albus said, dryly.

“I went to collect some supplies,” Gilderoy said.

“I’m sure that Madam Pomfrey relayed to you that she is not obligated to supply you with anything. That you are to gather what you want on your own.”

“I understand,” Gilderoy said.

“Now, forgive me,” Albus said, standing up. He walked around his desk. “There are a lot of things that have happened that I need to give my full attention to. The last thing I want is to deal with a spoiled professor throwing a temper tantrum in the Infirmary.”

Gilderoy bristled at the phrase “temper tantrum.” He was above such childish expressions. But he was smart enough not to voice his displeasure.

“Good day, Professor Lockhart,” Albus said.

“Good day, Headmaster.”

Gilderoy left the Headmaster’s office, angry. How dare he speak to me in that tone? Gilderoy fumed. He had never been so insulted in his life. Those two brats will pay for this disgrace.

The new Defense professor went to his chambers not to be seen the rest of the day.

___000___000___000

Severus walked out of the infirmary. He was on a mission. Josiah Yaxley was going to pay.

How dare he put his hand on his son? What right did he have to so-call discipline his son?

“Severus.”

Hearing his name, Severus stopped and turned towards the voice.

“What do you want?” Severus asked.

“I want you to calm down,” Minerva said, walking closer to her son.

“I’m calm,” Severus said.

“I highly doubt that,” Minerva said. “I saw your face. I can see it now. You’re angry.”

“And why shouldn’t I be?” Severus fumed. “He hurt my son!”

“Let Albus and me deal with this,” Minerva said.

“Mother, I love you,” Severus said. “But this I will handle. If you want to talk to Cornelius, I won’t stop you, but the wizard that took my son off this property. He’s mine.”

Minerva saw the resolve in her son’s face. As much as she didn’t want Severus to get in any kind of trouble, she knew that even if said don’t go, he would still leave.

“Will you at least wait for Albus and me before you go to the Ministry?” Minerva asked with a sigh.

Severus looked at Minerva.

“I’ll wait.” Severus said.

Minerva nodded and walked away. Severus watched her leave and sighed. Deep down he wanted to just leave and deal with this himself. He waited through the night; he can wait a few more hours. He retreated to the Infirmary.

___000___000___000

Minerva enter the Headmaster’s chambers.

“Did you convince him to wait?” Albus asked.

“Yes,” Minerva said, sitting down across from Albus’ desk. “Are you almost finished? I don’t think Severus will wait for long.”

“Probably not,” Albus said. “Amelia is to send me a notice when Cornelius has returned to his office.”

“I hope she contacts you soon,” Minerva sighed.

The fireplace lit up and green flames grew large. A parchment scrolls floated in. Albus waved his hand. Albus opened the scroll and read it.

“She’s ready for us,” Albus said. He waved his wand and cast out a Patronus.

Severus was sitting by the double beds when a phoenix Patronus appeared next to him. Severus went to Poppy’s office and let her know that he was leaving. The Potions master went to the fireplace and floo’ed to the Headmaster’s chambers.

“We’re leaving,” Severus said.

“Yes,” Albus said. “We’re going to Undersecretary Umbridge. You will deal with this Josiah.”

Severus nodded.

___000___000___000

Albus, Severus and Minerva exited in Amelia’s office.

“Are we ready?” Amelia asked.

Albus and Minerva nodded.

The three wizards left the office. Severus waited a second. He had made plans with Amelia before she left Hogwarts.

Stephanie walked in.

“You, Severus?” Stephanie asked.

“Yes,” Severus confirmed. “Is the Josiah here?”

“He is,” Stephanie said, smiling. “His office is down the corridor. Room 79.”

“Thank you,” Severus said, walking out of the office, going in the opposite direction.

___000___000___000

Albus, Minerva, and Amelia walked towards the Undersecretary’s office.

“She’s busy right now.”

“I don’t believe we asked,” Minerva said, walking around the secretary’s desk. “Let her know that we’re here.”

Minerva’s voice was cold. The secretary felt a chill down her spine.

“Are you going to make us wait?” Minerva asked, coolly.

“Uh, yes, you can go in,” the secretary stuttered.

“Thank you,” Minerva said sardonically.

“Dear sweet Minerva,” Albus whispered in her ear. “You must stop scaring people.”

Amelia opened the door, walking in.

“How dare you?” a voice squeaked from inside the office.

Minerva and Albus stepped in and saw the pink nightmare sitting behind her desk. There was a man sitting across from her.

“I suggest you wait outside,” Amelia said to the man.

“Again, what is the meaning of this?” Umbridge raged, standing up.

“Oh, please,” Minerva said, waving her hand. “No need to stand on our account.”

Amelia leaned down to the man and told him it would be best if he made his appointment for another day.

The man looked from Amelia and Albus to Dolores. Not wanting to get involve with whatever was going on, the man gathered his things and rushed out of the door. He closed the door behind him.

“Now, that you’ve run out my guest,” Umbridge snarled, sitting back down. “What do you want?”

“We’re here to talk to you about the treatment you subjected to young Harry Potter,” Amelia said, sitting down in the chair that the man just vacated.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Dolores said.

“Let’s not insult each other,” Minerva said, sitting next to Amelia.

Albus waved his hand conjuring another chair for him to sit.

“There is no need for you to sit,” Dolores sneered. “You’re not staying.”

“I believe,” Amelia said, coolly, “you don’t have a say in that.  

“Please leave,” Dolores said.

“Not until we finish what we have to say,” Minerva said.

Not wanting this to last too long, Amelia decided to get straight to business.

“I’ve learned that you orchestrated the abduction and physical abuse on Harry Potter.”

“I’ve done no such thing,” Dolores adamantly said.

“We have proof,” Amelia said. “You ordered Josiah Yaxley to remove Harry Potter from his father, Severus Snape, who resided at Hogwarts, and have him taken back to his abusive relatives.”

“The Boy Who Lived does not need to be raised by some Death Eater scum.”

“Who do you think you are?” Minerva raged. She was about to rise from her chair but Albus’ hand kept her seated.

“Severus Snape was a spy for the Light,” Albus said. “He helped arranged the fall of Lord Voldemort. He was very pivotal in our pursuits. Severus is a hero.”

“He’s a Death Eater,” Dolores said. “He still bares the Mark. He should be in Azkaban.”

“You should be in Azkaban,” Minerva said.

“Mr. Potter will not continue to live with a known Death Eater,” Umbridge said, moving parchment around as if the meeting was over.

“Mr. Potter is Severus’ son,” Albus said. “You have no rights to decides where Mr. Potter stays.”

“There is no way,” Umbridge said. “James Potter is the boy’s father.”

Amelia went through her paperwork that she had, pulling out a small piece of parchment. She slid it across the desk towards Dolores. The woman in pink opened the parchment.

“I do not believe it,” Dolores said, throwing the parchment on the desk. “It is a trick. A lie. I will see that Harry Potter is safe.”

“He is only safe with us,” Albus said.

“I will be pressing charges with the Wizengamot,” Amelia said.

“You have no authority!” Dolores raged.

“Actually, being the head of Magical Law Enforcement,” Amelia said, smugly. “I have every authority. You are not immune from being charged.” Amelia turned to Albus and Minerva. “I believe we’ve said everything.”

“I believe we have,” Albus said, standing.

Albus held out his arm; Minerva grabbed hold and stood up. The three wizards walked out of Dolores’ office.

“This is not the end,” Umbridge yelled. “You will not get away with this!”

___000___000___000

Severus walked down the corridor. It didn’t take him long to find the door. He knocked on the door. There was a voice allowing entrance.

The Potions Master walked into the office. He noticed that Josiah wasn’t paying attention to him so, Severus decided to take certain measures. Instead of closing the door behind him, Severus turned and closed the door. He wanted to add an advance locking charm as well as a silencing charm so whatever happened in this office, no one would interrupt.

“How may I help you?” Josiah asked. His attention was still on what he was writing.

“Your attention would be nice,” Severus said.

“I’m really busy,” Josiah said. He still didn’t raise his head. “So, whatever you want, you need to tell me and go.”

Severus nodded. “Alright. You want to go this route I’ll be happy to oblige.”

Severus pulled his wand out of his sleeve, swiping it causing everything on the desk to shred like confetti.

“What’s the meaning of this?” Josiah said, angrily.

“Do I have your attention, now?” Severus said, calmly.

Josiah got a look at his visitor for the first time. He was a little flushed with anger, but when he saw who was standing in front of him, he paled a little.

“What are you doing here?” Josiah asked. His voice cracked a bit.

Severus raised an eyebrow as he sat down in the chair across form Josiah.

“There are a few things that needs to be settled,” Severus said.

“You’re not supposed to be here,” Josiah demanded.

“Really?” Severus said. “I thought since you had my son I could come and speak to you about it.”

“I never had your son,” Josiah denied.

“You kidnapped my son from Hogwarts and brought him here before taking him to his abusers.”

“You’re the abuser,” Josiah said, standing up. “No child should be with a Death Eater.”

Severus looked up at the man.

“I know what you did to my son,” Severus said.

“I did nothing to that boy,” Josiah said.

Severus waved his wand, murmuring an ancient spell causing the wall adjacent to Severus, showing a recording of the room that Harry was placed when he was brought to the Ministry.

Josiah looked at the wall and paled more.

“I take it you didn’t know that there were cameras in that room?” Severus asked.

The video showed Josiah walking into the room, fighting with Harry as the child tried to move away. Finally showing Josiah putting Harry over his lap and spanking the boy. Severus looked at Josiah and back at the wall.

Josiah felt sick. He knew there was no way he could talk his way out of this. He hated that he didn’t know there was camera equipment in that room.

The spanking lasted for just over ten minutes. Severus watched as Josiah finally lifted his son off of his lap and carelessly wiped his face with a rough flannel. The video stopped with Josiah forcibly pulling Harry out of the room.

The wall became blank. Severus looked at Josiah.

“Now,” Severus said. “You will tell me what right did you have beating my son like that.”

“It was a warranted act of discipline,” Josiah said.

“Warranted?” Severus said standing up. “My son told me that he cried for me. You made my son believe that he was better off with his so-called relatives. You put your hands on my son.”

Severus slowly walked towards the man. Josiah couldn’t hide his fear.

“It is taking a lot from me not to kill you where you stand,” Severus growled.

“You can’t touch me,” Josiah said, backing away from Severus. “I am a Ministry official.”

“And you think that excuse you for what you did to my child?” Severus asked. He was mere feet from Josiah.

“My base nature wants to see you suffer worse than my son did,” Severus growled. “I want to torture you until you would be begging me to kill you. I want to carve into you and use your organs into potion ingredients. And make you watch and then experiment on you.”

The more Severus talked there was a tinge of a shade of green on Josiah’s face. Josiah was sweating profusely. There was a strong scent of ammonia in the air. A small sound of liquid dripping on the hardwood floor. The man could not hide the fear. It showed on his face.

“You should count yourself lucky,” Severus said, taking a step back.

“Lucky?” Josiah squeaked.   

“I love my son and godson more that I despise you,” Severus said.

Severus stepped away from Josiah and looked down.

“After everything you did to my son, at least he was able to hold his water,” Severus said wryly.

Josiah was too afraid to move. Severus walked over to the door, waving his hand to let down the charms he put up.

“One last thing,” Severus said. “Every hit you gave my son. You will feel. The pain you caused my son. You will feel.”

Severus made a slashing motion with his wand, muttering some words. Instantly, Josiah felt every hit. The pain was excruciating. There was no sound of the beating, but the way Josiah hit Harry is what he was feeling right now.

Josiah gave a high pitch yelp at one particularly placed hit.

“Hurts, doesn’t it?” Severus said. “That’s what you did to my son. But since you are much older than Harry, you can take more pain.”

Severus turned so that he could leave the office.

“Please,” Josiah pleaded through clenched teeth. “Stop.”

“Please? Please?” Severus growled, turning to face the other man. “You have the audacity to beg me to stop after what you did to my son!” Severus waved his wand once again. “You’re older you should be able to take it…harder. Good day.”

Severus left the office hearing Josiah’s moans and cries through the door.

___000___000___000

Severus met the trio in the corridor.

“Were you able to talk to the Minister?” Severus asked.

“No,” Minerva said. “We went to the one who orchestrated the entire thing.”

“Is there anything else you need from us, Amelia? Albus asked.

“No,” Amelia said. “I think we have everything. There may be a trial and Harry have to testify, but I don’t think it might happen.”

“We’ll be at the school if you need anything,” Albus said. “Good day.”

The three Hogwarts Professors walked through the floo back to the school.

TBC