Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2: Coming to Terms

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter

A special thanks to The Lonely God With a Box for beta'ing my story.

Chapter 2: Coming to Terms

“Harry,” Severus said. “Once we're done, I would like for us to go to my chambers so that we can talk.”

Harry, who had been hoping to get a chance to go flying, just nodded his head at his now father's request.

Once they finished eating and the house elves cleared up the dishes, Severus and Harry made the trek down to the dungeons. Both were silent and in deep thought. Severus had no idea where he could start, or even if Harry would accept him if he told him everything about his past. For a moment, he was even considering not telling Harry about the Dark Mark, but quickly dismissed the idea. No, he was not going to start their family out with lies.

Severus looked back at the too small boy who was practically jogging to keep up. Severus found himself slowing his gait just so that Harry could keep up and not be completely out of breath by the time they reached his chambers.

Harry, trying to keep up with the Potions Professor, wondered how long this talk was going to be. He surely hoped that it would not take long so that he could hopefully go flying. He hadn't had a chance to fly since school was let out a month ago. As the two wizards may their way towards the dungeons, Harry began to become nervous. What did Professor Snape really want to talk about? He was really hoping that he wasn't about to be rejected. The thought, even if it was the most hated Professor at Hogwarts, of having a father and having a family was just too good. So many nights Harry would dream of having a true family that he could call his own, and now he just might get it. That's if he didn't get rejected.

Harry was so lost in his own mind he didn't realize that Severus stopped walking, and he bumped into him.

“I'm sorry, sir,” Harry rushed out.

Severus didn't acknowledge Harry bumping into him or his apology. The Potion Master only waved his hand over the edge of the door and opened it for him and his son.

Harry carefully walked in the room a few feet and just stopped. Harry was surprised to see the room looked warm and inviting. When he walked in the room, there weren't chains hanging from the ceiling and a huge cauldron boiling in the corner. It was a normal living area. The furniture looked warm and inviting.

“Do sit down, Harry,” Severus drawled. “We have much to discuss, and I would like you to be comfortable while we talk.”

Harry walked over to the couch and sat down. Severus sat himself down on the chair next to the couch.

Severus didn't know where to start. There was so much he needed to tell the boy.

Severus took another deep breath and exhaled slowly, trying to calm his nerves. After he did that a couple of times, he saw that Harry was watching him, so he figured if he was going to tell Harry everything, he would need to start from the beginning.

“Now Harry, there is much that I want to tell you. Some of it will be a little difficult for me, but I will try and tell you everything that I know. Please do not interrupt me. Wait until I finish before you say anything. You can ask me whatever you want when I'm finished. Does that sound fair?”

Severus looked at the little boy as he digested what the Potions Master just said. The only response was a small nod from the boy.

“A verbal response, Harry,” Severus' voice was not the usual harsh tone, but in a calm soothing manner.

“Yes, sir,” a small voice responded.

'Thank Merlin he is taking this good so far.' Severus thought to himself. But his thoughts weren't exactly true. Harry may have been quiet but he was screaming on the inside. He wanted to run away. Being in the same room with the meanest, scariest, Professor in the history of Hogwarts, was nerve-wreaking, but he made himself stay where he was because he wanted a father. He wanted to have a real chance at having a family. Something he never got while staying with his relatives.

"Now, I guess I should start at the beginning,” Severus began his story. “When your mother and I were in school, we were best friends. As the years passed, it formed into something more. We started dating and the summer before our seventh year, I asked for her hand.” Severus had a small smile at the memory of asking his Lily to marry him. “Our engagement was a secret. Nobody else knew about it except Albus and Minerva. We had to keep it a secret from my father. As he would not have approved me marrying your mother, Lily. During Christmas break of my seventh year I took the Dark Mark-" seeing Harry's puzzled look he decided to explained what the Dark Mark was "The Dark Mark, Harry, is... Well it's basically a tattoo, the Dark Lord gave it to all of his followers-"

"WHAT?!" Harry screamed, cutting Severus off, standing up from the couch and backed away from him.

Severus closed his eyes to calm himself down before he did something he would regret later.

After he opened his eyes, he took a deep breath and looked at his retreating son.

"Harry, let me explain-"

Harry was getting red in the face from outrage. "How could you be a follower for that slimy bastard?!"

"Language, Harry," Severus admonished. Harry just rolled his eyes. The thought of running away was coming back in his mind at full force. He had to get away.

Severus saw that his son looked like he was going to bolt for the door. He knew he did not want that to happen. He did not want his son thinking that he was about to be delivered to the Dark Lord tonight. "Let me explain myself," Severus pleaded. He tried to keep his voice calm and soothing to try and calm down his son.

Harry glared at him, but nodded his head. Still, he made no movement to come back to the couch.

"Now, the reason why I took the Dark Mark is because my father made me. I didn't want to, but I was forced to. So I went to go talk to Albus about it. The only choice I had was to become a spy. It was the only way that I could be safe from my father's wrath and help the Light. So I spied on the Dark Lord, and told the Light what the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters were planning. And as of yesterday, I don't have the Dark Mark anymore. Albus found a spell to take off the mark." Severus explained to the now pink cheeked eleven year old boy.

"I'm sorry." Harry apologized sincerely looking at his feet.

Severus nodded his head and offered a light smile to his son "It's okay, Harry. Just next time, let me tell you the entire story before you go making assumptions."

Harry nodded his head still embarrassed.

"Now, as I was saying, we were engaged, but after Sybill made the prophecy that endangered your mother's safety. At the time, I had no idea she was pregnant with you when this happened. To protect your mother and myself, it was decided that she would marry James Potter. He would protect her while they were in hiding.” Severus sighed. “When you were born, I just knew that you were James' son. I swear that I didn't know.”

Harry slowly made his way towards his father. He could see the sincerity in his father's eyes as he talked to him. Before Harry knew it, he had made it to where he was standing in front of his father.


“I am so sorry for the way I have treated you this past year," Severus sincerely spoke.

A small smile began to creep up the corner of Harry's mouth. He apologized, Harry thought. Maybe he really does want me. He apologized. That's more than Uncle Vernon or Aunt Petunia ever did.

"I accept your apology."

That made Severus' day. He smiled. A big smile that almost went to his eyes. He pulled Harry to his chest and wrapped his arms around his son and hugged him.

Harry was shocked. Not only did his Professor smile and his face didn't brake into a million of pieces, but he also hugged him. He hugged him! It felt so good to be in a strong embrace. Harry felt like nothing could ever hurt him as long as he was in his father's arms. He never thought it was possible!

Harry wrapped his arms around his dad's neck and hugged him back.

After Severus broke away from the hug, he smiled at Harry. Harry smiled right back.

"Now do you have any questions?" Severus asked lightly

Harry nodded. Severus ignored the nonverbal response and motioned for him to continue.

Harry took a small breath to build his courage up. He then he looked at Severus and asked, "What should I call you?"

"Well what do you feel comfortable calling me right now?" Severus asked gently

Harry shrugged.

Severus sighed "Well how about this. Since everything is still new for you why don't you just call me Severus for now. And when you are comfortable you can call me dad, or father whatever you like best."

Harry smiled "Alright."

A knock on the door got their attention.

Severus stood up and walked over to the door. Harry sat back down on the couch. Severus opened it and found that it was Albus. Opening the door further, he allowed the Headmaster entry to his chambers. Once he was in and Severus closed the door, he sat back down, but instead of taking the chair that he was originally in, he sat down beside his son.

Albus sat down in the chair that Severus vacated. He cleared his throat to get both wizard's attention.

"I assume that you two have spoken about the situation?" Albus eyes twinkled madly at the sight before him.

Harry nodded. Severus said, "Yes we have."

Albus nodded his head and smiled, "Good. Harry, my boy, would you like to go flying?"

Harry smiled excitedly. He looked up at his dad. Severus nodded he head and Harry jumped up from his seat.

“You will find your broom in the Gryffindor locker room. Have fun.”

Harry yelp in glee and headed for the door. Albus felt the need to set some rules for Harry since no one will be with him while he would be flying.

"But do not,” Albus began, causing Harry to stop in his tracks and face the adults in the room. “I repeat, do not do any outlandish tricks. I don't think you would like to go to the Hospital Wing so soon after getting out of school."

Harry sighed, he really wanted to try out this new stunt he made up yesterday. Albus heard the sigh and chuckled.

"Always the dare devil, aren’t we?" Albus asked chuckling still.

Harry walked towards the door.

Albus remembered, Harry still didn't agree to the no stunt rule, "Harry, you did not answer me." Albus' voice losing the light chuckling that it once had.

Harry sighed again as his hand touched the doorknob.

“Harry.”

Harry could hear the sternness in his father's voice. He just got his father and he didn't want to make him angry on the first day. He apologized and everything.

"Yes, sir. I won't do any stunts." The last thing he wanted was to get in trouble before he even got a chance to even fly. 'But what they don't know can't hurt them.' Harry thought to himself mischievously.

Harry opened up the door and as he walked out. He heard Albus yell after him that he wasn't joking.

After Harry was gone, Albus turned to Severus and studied his face for a bit.

"How did it go?" Albus asked gently

Severus sighed, "He didn't take me having the Dark Mark well. I explained it to him and he calmed down. I think it went pretty well. I mean, it could have been a lot worse."

Albus' eyes were twinkling madly. Severus shook his head at that.

"He is going to call me by my first name for a while until he is comfortable with calling me dad or whatever he wants to call me. I will go over what I expect of him later. Now, I just let him enjoy his summer away from those relatives of his."

Albus nodded his head again "That's a good idea. That boy worries me a lot. I think between you and him that's where I got most of my white hair."

Severus snorted, "I thought you had it for a while."

Albus glared at him, "Watch it Severus Tobias. You're the boy's father, Merlin only knows you'll have gray hair pretty soon."

Severus gasped "Never!"

Albus chuckled "Yes, you will."

"No, I won't. I'll dye it." Severus said proudly

Albus snorted "Yeah, you'll dye it, all right. If Harry gets a hold of the dye while you aren't looking. He will most likely put pink dye inside."

Severus gasped in disbelief, "No, he wouldn't."

Albus smiled "He did it to his aunt before. Your son has a mischievous side to him. Arabella told me. He was seven, I think, and he wanted pay back for something. I don't know what it was, but I know that Petunia had lime green hair for a while. Quite funny if you think about it."

Severus chuckled at the sight of Petunia with Lime Green hair.

GGGGGGGG Out on the Quidditch Pitch GGGGGGG

Harry grabbed his broom and took flight into the air.

The wind blew Harry's hair around in different ways. He flew around the Gryffindor stand and dove straight down to the ground. He pulled up just in time so he wouldn't crash.

Harry soared around for a while just enjoying the feeling of freedom. He loved flying just as much as he loved Hedwig. Hedwig. Harry landed his broom and jumped off it to go see if she was in the Owlery.

Harry ran up the stone steps and walked in. As soon as he stepped in, his Snowy Owl swooped down and landed on his shoulder.

"Hey, girl," she pecked his finger to show her irritation that he didn't come sooner.

"I'm sorry girl. I have been busy, but I promise I will come and spend some time with you often," Harry said sincerely.

After a while in the Owlery, Harry bid his owl goodbye and walked back to the castle. It was lunch time and he didn't want to be late.

Harry walked to the Great Hall and noticed everyone else was already eating.

Albus and Severus looked up when the Great Hall doors open.

Harry looked up at the head table and saw that Severus had a look of relief cross his face, but then it went to a little agitated...maybe? He still couldn't tell with Severus.

Harry sat down next to his dad and started to fill his plate with food. He was oblivious to the look that Severus was giving him.

Severus cleared his throat to get Harry's attention, but to his annoyance Harry didn't seem to notice.

Minerva gave Severus a disgusted look, "Manners, Severus.”

Severus rolled his eyes and looked back at Harry.

"Harry," Severus said to get his attention

Harry looked up at his dad.

"Yes, sir?" Harry asked confused. He wondered what got him looking so upset.

"We went to go get you earlier and you weren't at the pitch. Care to explain where you were?" Severus asked calmly.

"I was at the Owlery. I had to check on Hedwig." Harry explained.

Severus closed his eyes, then he turned to Albus, "Why didn't we think to look there?"

Albus shrugged, "I guess it slipped my mind that he had a owl."

Minerva chuckled, "Things slip your mind a lot, Albus."

"Now, now be nice, or you won't be so lucky tonight." Albus said, jokingly

Harry dropped his fork and muttered, "Well, I just lost my appetite."

All the professors except Albus and Minerva laughed at what Harry said.

After lunch Harry went to help Hagrid plant pumpkin seeds in his patch. After that was done, they went to the Forbidden Forest, Hagrid wanted to show him a new animal he found.

As they were going through the forest Harry spoke up, "Uh Hagrid, is this uh animal dangerous?"

Hagrid stopped and smiled down at Harry. "Na, this is as gentle as a puppy."

Harry snorted. Knowing Hagrid, this could be anything from an actual puppy to a dragon.

They walked a little more until they came to a clearing. The meadow was huge with tons of wild flowers growing everywhere.

Hagrid pointed to a small animal in the middle of the meadow. They walked cautiously to it and stopped. Harry's eyes grew wide, right in front of him was a Tree Elf.

The Tree Elf smiled at them "Ekasssssa," the Tree Elf said firmly.

Hagrid nodded his head.

Harry looked up at Hagrid, "What did she say?"

Hagrid shrugged, "No idea, but ain't she beautiful!"

Harry's eyes grew big, "Uh, let's get out of here."

Hagrid reluctantly agreed and they headed back to the castle.

The rest of the day Harry spent it helping Professor McGonagall.

TBC

Chapter End Notes:
A/N: I just want you to know, before you send me emails and PM's about Severus' father being a Muggle and not a wizard, this story was written BEFORE “The Half-Blood Prince” was published. I didn't change it, because it worked with the story. There is really not much else mentioned about Severus' father after this. It was just to show Harry Severus' side of things.
I reiterate this story does NOT follow cannon and is completely AU.