Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3: Addition and Punishment

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

A special thanks to The Lonely God With a Box for beta'ing my story.

Warning: This chapter has CP in it. I'm giving you fair warning. No flamers, please.


Chapter 3: Addition and Punishment


After the many things that Harry learned the day before, today he just wanted to stay in the common room. He had always loved being with Hagrid, but his choices in pets left much to be desired. Not to mention that they were very dangerous. Though he did enjoy spending time with his Head of House that afternoon, at first he thought it was strange that Professor McGonagall wanted to spend time with him. It wasn't like he stayed in her office during the whole of last year. It was known that she was a strict disciplinarian, but spending time with the Transfiguration professor, he was beginning to see a different side to her. She almost had a grandmother feel about her.

Harry got up and walked down to the Common Room and sat on the couch across from the fireplace. It was really quiet and comfortable where he was sitting. To have the Common Room all to himself was a dream. Yeah, he missed his friends but he was enjoying the quiet as well.

His stomach started making those noises again. Growing up, he never knew what it meant and he knew that it would pass after awhile. Harry was much too comfortable on the couch. He debated on getting up or staying right where he was. He was leaning towards the latter when the portrait opened up.

Severus walked into the Common Room and saw his son curled up on the couch.

“What do you think you're doing?” Severus walked over towards Harry.

Harry looked up at his father and saw the anger in his eyes.

Oh no, what did I do? Harry thought slightly trembling.

Severus sat next to Harry on the maroon sofa.

“Did I not tell you yesterday that you are to eat every meal?” Severus voice was calmer when he first came into the Common Room. Harry just looked at his father and blinked. “I know you are hungry, Harry.”

Harry just shook his head. The same time his stomach decided to make those noises again. Severus sat back on the couch and pinched the bridge of his nose. He closed his eyes a little just to reign in his temper. He wasn't angry with his son, no. He was angry with those vile people he was living with. He could hear his son's protest for food, and obviously not know what that meant.

“Harry, I do believe you know how I feel about lying.”

“I'm not...” Harry started but was cut off by a Severus lifting his hand.

“I'm making a point. You are, in fact, hungry. I can hear it over here. But what breaks my heart is that you don't even know it. I believe that you believe you are not hungry, but your body is saying something else.

Harry face scrunched up. My body saying something else. Again there goes the noise. Oh that.

“You mean that noise?” Harry asked confused.

“Yes, child.”

“Oh, that happens all the time. It doesn't mean nothing.”

“Anything,” Severus absentmindedly corrected. “And yes it does. The fact that you do not know that makes me wonder what all you've been through in that house.”

Harry put his head down. He was met by two fingers under his chin lightly forcing his head up. Harry looked up at his father.

“Harry, listen to me,” Severus' voice was low, but he knew his son could hear him. “There are a lot of things that you have to learn, and eating three meals a day is one of them. You must learn that you are allowed to eat.”

Harry blinked at his father. I'm allowed to eat, that re-played over and over in his head.

“Now,” Severus' voice was a little sterner. “If you skip your meals again, you will be punished.”

Harry's eyes got wide at hearing that. Punished. No. No no no no.

Severus could see the panic rising in his son's eyes. He knew he had to explain himself soon.

“Harry, listen to me,” Severus let go of the boy's chin and gripped his shoulders. “I will never abuse you. What you lived through was abuse. There is a big difference between spanking a child and abusing them.”

Harry's fear still did not lessen. He was hearing the words his father was talking about, but it still was not registering.

“I will never punch or kick you,” Severus continued, remembering what he witnessed when he removed the child from his relatives. “I will never humiliate you by spit upon you. If you do ever warrant a spanking, you will only feel my hand on your behind. Once the spanking had been administered, you will be forgiven. There will never be a surprise of a punishment. You will be aware of what you are expected to do and the repercussions if you do not follow the rules.”

He stopped to let everything he just said sink in for Harry. He noticed Harry's breathing calmed somewhat, so that let Severus know that he was listening. Severus continued.

“Now, as far as eating, like I said you will come to the Great Hall for all of your meals. If I have to find you, like today, not only will you be escorted to the Great Hall, but you will also receive five smacks for your disobedience.”

Harry listened to everything his father said. He never had an adult explain a punishment to him before. After everything his father said, the last thing he want was to receive a spanking. His ears burned with embarrassment just thinking about a spanking. He just got a father and the last thing he wanted was to make him so angry he sends him back to his uncle.

“Harry, come here,” Severus said opening his arms.

Harry got up and stood in front of Severus, standing in between his knees. Severus pulled his son into an embrace. He could see the worry in his son's face.

“Harry, I will always love you. I will punish you if you're naughty, but know that throughout and after said punishment, I will still love you.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, not really believing what was said. He just knew he had to be careful not to make his father angry.

Severus could hear the hesitation and unbelief in his son's voice. He just knew that this was something that he could not just tell him, he would have to show him.

Another rumble in Harry's stomach brought the two wizards out of their own minds. Severus lightly patted Harry's bum.

“Alright, lets go get you something to eat.”

Harry turned his head in his father's shoulder to hide his smile then stood up. The two wizards left the Gryffindor Common Room and headed for the kitchens.

______0000_________0000________0000_________0000_______0000______0000____000_______

Albus was sitting in his office, when the fireplace lit green and a blonde-headed man stepped through.

“Lucius,” Albus greeted.

“Dumbledore,” Lucius said. “We need to talk.”

Albus waved his hand to the chair in front of his desk. The blonde-headed man sat down and the two talked.

_________00000____________0000_____0000_________0000__________0000__________000____

Severus knew there was more to tell Harry, but after his reaction towards hearing how he doled out punishments, he was a little wary of telling him the rest. He knew he would have to especially before school resumed this fall.

“Harry, there is something else I must tell you,” Severus started.

Harry looked up at his father between bites of his snack. He tried to read his father's face to gauge what he was about to say, but couldn't get anything.

“There is someone...” Severus started

“Ah, there you two are,” Minerva said, walking into the kitchen.

“Good morning, Professor,” Harry said. A smile graced his lips seeing his Head-of-House enter the kitchens.

“More like 'Good Afternoon,' wouldn't you say, Harry?” Minerva said, sitting next to Harry at the table. “And why are you here?”

“Well, it seems that Harry decided to skip breakfast this morning,” Severus answered and Harry lowered his head, blushing.

A pair of fingers under his chin and raised his head. Harry looked into the eyes of his Head-of-House.

“It is very important that you eat, Harry.” Minerva said.

“Yeah,” Harry answered. “Dad told me already.”

Severus couldn't help the swell of pride and joy that filled his body hearing his son call him 'dad' for the first time. Minerva looked at Severus then back at Harry.

“Know this, Harry Potter,” Minerva said. “You are no longer alone. You have both Severus and me as well as Albus here for you now.”

Harry slightly frowned at the name. Potter. He had grown to love James Potter since he believed that was his father but now that he knows that his Potion Professor is really his father, he knew his name would change.

“Harry,” Severus asked. “What is it?”

“Now, that we know we're father and son, does my name change?”

A small smile graced the potion master's lips. “Yes, Harry, it does, but it would be a rather long name.”

“Really,” Harry lit up looking at his father now. “What will it be?”

Severus and Minerva exchanged glances.

“Your name would be Harry James Severus Potter Snape-McGonagall.”

Harry's eyes widen at the length of the name, but pure shock laced his face when he heard the last name. McGonagall? He looked from his dad to his Head-of-House.

“That's what I was going to tell you, before she came in,” Severus said. “After my father forced me to become a Death Eater, and I turned spy, Minerva adopted me.”

“So,” Harry said looking at Minerva. “That means you're like my grandmother?”

Harry got up and went to his new grandmother and wrapped his arms around her neck. This shocked Minerva for a second before her arms wrapped around the small boy's body. Harry could not believe his luck, first he learned that he has a father, now he just learned that he now has a grandmother as well. This day just got better. Nothing could ruin the pure happiness that Harry was feeling right now.

_______0000____________0000____________0000___________0000__________0000___________

Lucius left the Headmaster's office. Albus was looking very concern. He didn't like the way things were going. He knew he would have to talk with his Potions Master and Transfiguration Professor before the night was out. He sent out a patronus for his two Head-of-Houses to meet him in his office.

Harry finished his food and the three of them were leaving the kitchen when the patronus showed itself.

“Harry, why don't you go fly or spend the day with Hagrid?” Minerva said. “Be back for supper, okay?”

“Yes, ma'am,” Harry said rushing off before they changed their minds and had him work.

Minerva smiled at the boy and the two walked to the Headmaster's office to see what the problem was.

_____0000__________0000__________0000_______000_______0000_________0000_______00___

Harry pushed off the ground to take flight. He really liked Hagrid, but after going into the forest and not knowing what they were seeing, Harry thought twice about going to visit Hagrid. He didn't want to get in trouble with his dad and make him angry for going into the forest. While the wind blew through his hair, Harry thought about everything that was said that day. He wanted to try and see what would happened if he referred to Professor Snape as dad. Even thought he didn't see his dad's face, he could tell that he was proud of him. It was a wonderful feeling and Harry knew he didn't ever want that feeling to ever change. After flying for about an hour, Harry decided to go and check on Hedwig again. As he walked thought the hallway, heading towards the Owlery, his thoughts wandered to the fact that not only did he have a dad, he now had a grandmother as well. Once he reached the Owlery, Harry petted and talked with Hedwig. He told her everything that has happened this morning. Harry spent the rest of the afternoon in the Owlery happy and content.

_______0000_________0000__________000_______0000______000_______0000______000______

It was well after supper time began when Minerva and Severus left Albus' office. They did not like hearing what was going on with the Death Eaters. Even though Severus didn't spy anymore, that didn't mean he wasn't affected. His best friend was now a spy for the light. He didn't like the fact that Lucius took that role, especially with Narscissa and his godson, Draco, in the middle. Now that there were threats going on about potential spies in the ranks, his worry became tenfold for Lucius and his family. Even thought Albus assured them that all will be well, Severus still had his doubts.

As the pair walked to the Great Hall for supper, Minerva tried to ease her son's mind about his best friend. When they walked into the Hall, the first thing Severus noticed was there was not a messy-haired boy sitting at the table.

“I don't believe this,” Severus raged. He turned and headed out of the Hall. Minerva was right behind him.

“Severus,” she called out. Her voice was just as stern as his. He turned and faced her. “You will calm down. I will go and find Harry. You will go to your chambers.”

“But I warned him about skipping meals.”

“Yes, and he will be dealt with, but you are upset about Lucius and if you need to deal with Harry you need to have a cool head. Now go to your chambers and wait for him. I will send him there when I find him.”

Severus gave a curt nod and headed for his chambers in the dungeons. Minerva headed down the hall in search of her grandson.

Harry woke up leaning on the steps of the Owlery. Hedwig still sitting on his shoulder. He didn't even realize that he'd fallen asleep. When he looked outside and saw that it was dark, he knew he was in big trouble. Quickly, Harry got up and put Hedwig back and then ran down the stairs to get to the Great Hall before his dad came looking for him.

How stupid could he be? His dad just warned him about skipping meals. He couldn't believe he fell asleep. Now his dad was going to be angry and now his new family would hate him and probably send him away. His throat burned with tears as he ran down the hall. When he turned the corner, he bumped into somebody and fell back on the floor. When he saw who he bumped into he couldn't help the tears that started streaming down his face.

“Mr. Potter, where have you been?” Minerva asked.

“I...I fell a....asleep,” Harry gasped out standing back up, his head lowered.

He knew she was angry at him, and he could feel her staring at him. What he didn't expect was arms wrapping around his shoulders and bringing him into an embrace.

“Come,” Minerva said. “Let's wash your face before you go to your father.”

They walked down the hall and headed to her chambers. Once in there, she escorted him to the bathroom where she sat him on the closed toilet seat. She wet a flannel at the sink and then sat on the edge of the tub next to Harry and wiped his tears. He cried harder when she began wiping his tears. She got up picked Harry up and sat down on the seat and placed Harry on her lap.

“Come now, Harry,” she said rocking back and forth. “Whatever it is, it can't be this bad.”

With the tears flowing, he couldn't even catch his breath to talk. He just snuggled down more in his grandmother's chest. He figured if this was going to be the last time that he would be here, he might as well absorb all the love he could before he was sent back.

“He's going to send me back,” Harry sobbed.

“Who is going to send you back?”

“Pro...professor. I made him mad.”

“Oh, Harry,” Minerva just tightened her hold of the boy. “Severus loves you. You will never be sent back by him. He has his son back now. He will never give you up or send you back.”

“But I messed up,” Harry lifted his head off of his grandmother and looked at her. His tear-washed eyes were red.

“Yes, you did,” Minerva said. “And you will probably mess up again, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world.”

They sat there for a few minutes. Minerva knew she needed to send Harry to his father, but two things needed to happen first. One, Severus needed to calm down and second, she needed to reassure Harry that he would not be going back again to those horrid people he once called relatives. Harry finally calmed down enough for her to let go. He knew he still had to face his punishment.

They walked out of the bathroom and towards the fireplace. Harry looked at her and then back at the fire.

“This will send you straight to your father,” Minerva said as she lit the fireplace. “The fireplaces here are connected, so this will take you to his chambers.”

She threw the floo powder, and putting her hand on Harry shoulder, she coaxed in towards the green flames, then yelled out 'Severus' chambers.'

Harry stepped through the fire, half expecting to be burned to a crisp. But when he stepped through, the flames didn't hurt or burn him and the next thing he knew, he was standing his his father's chambers again.

______0000________0000___________0000________0000____________00000______0000_______

Severus knew he needed to calm down. He wasn't really angry with Harry, but rather, he was just worried about his friend and when he saw that Harry was not in the Great Hall, it became too much. Coming down to his chambers and having a cup of tea calmed him down. After a while, his floo flared up and he saw his son emerge through the flames.

Severus sat down on in the middle of the couch.

“Come here, Harry.”

Harry slowly walked over to his father and stood in front of him. His heart was beating so hard he thought it would come out of his chest.

Severus could tell that Harry was nervous about what was about to happen, so he thought it best to just get it over with so that it would be behind them.

“Harry,” Severus voice wasn't harsh or mean. “I have explained to you the importance of you eating every meal, have I not?” Harry nodded. “A verbal answer, son.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry lowered his head looking at his shoes.

Severus reached up and put his finger under his son's chin and lifted it.

“Eyes up, son,” Severus said. “Now, I warned you what would happen if you missed a meal, haven't I?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry's voice was no more than a whisper from the large lump in his throat.

“Lay across my lap,” Severus ordered.

Harry's eyes got wide before resigning to his fate of his punishment. Harry, with the help of his dad, removed his glasses and laid across his father's lap. Severus could feel his son trembling. He wrapped one arm around his son's small waist, steeled his heart and raised his hand to administer the spanking.

SMACK. SMACK. SMACK. SMACK. SMACK.

As promised, only five were administered. Severus placed his hand on the small of his sobbing son's back and rubbed soothing circles on his back to calm him down. After a few more minutes he noticed that Harry wasn't calming down. This started to worry Severus. He picked up the child and righted him on his lap and wrapped his still sobbing son in his arms.

“Calm down, Harry,” Severus soothingly said, rubbing circles on his back. “All is forgiven. I love you.”

Harry pulled his arms loose from his father's grasp and wrapped them around his neck.

“You won't send me back?” Harry sobbed in his father's neck.

Severus' brow creased at what he just heard. Send him back? Why would I ever do that?

“No,” Severus said tightening his hold. “I will never send you back. You are my son. And you will stay with me.”

“I'm sorry, daddy.”

“It's okay, son. You are forgiven.”

They sat there until exhaustion swept over Harry and he fell asleep in his father's arms. Severus just sat on the couch with his son in his arms. Severus accio'd a quilt and wrapped his sleeping son in the covers while they sat there.

The floo flared again and Minerva emerged from the flames. She saw her son and grandson on the couch and a smile graced her lips.

“How did it go?” Minerva asked sitting in the chair next to the couch.

“Alright,” Severus answered.

“Why don't you put him to bed, Severus?”

Severus looked down at the sleeping child in his arms, and he couldn't bring himself to let him go just yet.

“No,” Severus shook his head. “Not yet.”

Minerva softly chuckled as she stood back up. She walked over to Severus and cupped his face.

“Get some sleep,” She turned and walked back to the fireplace. “I'll see you two in the morning.”

With a flash of green, she was gone, and father and son were alone again.

TBC