Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5: Make Mistakes

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

A special thanks to The Lonely God With a Box for beta'ing my story.

A/N: I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Chapter 5: Make Mistakes

Draco walked up the stairs, albeit slowly, towards the library. Even though his father spanked him for what happened, what hurt Draco more was the disappointed and angry look on his godfather's face. He has seen his godfather look like that towards many people. One of them being the ingrate in his godfather's arms.

How could he love Potter more than me? Draco thought. I was here first. And now Potter is ruining everything. Uncle Sev was his and no one else's. Tears streaming down the small child's face. Once Draco made it to the library, he walked in and sat at at the nearest table. He plopped down in a chair and put his head in his arms. Even though Draco was brought up not to show emotions in public, right now, he was just a small boy who was just chastised by his father and felt like he was shunned from his godfather. The only one in the library, Draco just cried.

_____0000__________0000_________00000________0000_________0000_______0000_______00_

Severus walked down to the dungeons with his son asleep in his arms. His heart just ached for his son. There was so much reassurance that he would have to give his son so that he would believe that he was never going back to those awful people again.

As he walked in silence, the only thing that continued to replay in his mind was the despondent cries of his son and his confession that he blurted out. I will not go to sleep again. That one statement made his stomach go into knots. Had he wrongly punish his son? He was no better than what those blasted relatives did to him.

Unconsciously, Severus tighten his hold on his son. Walking beside Severus, Minerva could see the mental struggle Severus was going through. When they got to his chambers, they both walked into the sitting room.

“Severus, why don't you put Harry in his bed?” Minerva asked, sitting in the chair closer towards the fireplace. She waved her wand and lit the logs in the hearth.

Severus thought about what his mother asked, but feeling his arms tighten even more around the child, he knew that he just couldn't put Harry down and walk away from him. So he walked over to the sofa and attempted to lay Harry down on it. Attempted being the operative word.

Severus, sitting down on one end of the couch and lowering himself with the child on the couch, was met with resistance when the child's back came into contact with the couch.

Harry began to wake. He tightened the hold he had on his dad in fear that he was rejecting him. He began to mewl and whine in his father's neck.

“It's okay, Harry,” Severus soothingly said. “I'm not going anywhere. We're just on the sofa. It's okay.”

Severus continued to speak softly and soothingly into his son's ear until he fell back asleep and his grip slackened enough for Severus to carefully pry his son's hands from his hair and robes. When he sat back up after successfully detaching from his son's grip, he was met with a worried looking Minerva.

Severus sat back on the couch with a sigh.

“What have I done?” Severus sighed.

Minerva brow creased at her son's question. “What do you mean, what you've done? You've done nothing to that child. It's what those blasted relatives done to him.”

Severus could see the anger in her eyes, but he knew once she heard what he'd done that anger would be geared towards him.

“I unjustly punished him,” Severus confessed.

“No, you didn't.”

“Yes, I did. Last night, when he missed dinner. I punished him for not being there, but I never asked him why he wasn't there. If I'd asked him, I would have learned that he had fallen asleep. He wouldn't have been late if he was awake.” Looking down at his son, who was still sleeping. “He was afraid I was going to spank him for not being at lunch. I don't want my son afraid of me.”

Severus wanted to get up and pace the room, but he just couldn't find the strength to leave his son's side even if he was asleep on the couch.

“I don't think that Harry's afraid of you, Severus. He just needs reassurance that you will always be there. It will take time, but Harry will learn that even if he gets in trouble that you will still be there. Mistakes will be made. You, yourself, are still learning how to be a father. And Harry is still learning that he will be loved through good times and bad times. And knowing the magnet that your son has for trouble there will be more opportunities for Harry to make mistakes and be punished for them. But he will learn that you won't be going anywhere once the punishment is over with.”

“But, him missing dinner yesterday,” Severus argued. “It wasn't all his fault.”

“Severus, had you known that Harry had fallen asleep would he still gotten a spanking?”

“Yes, but...”

“No buts. He would have still been punished.”

“But he thinks he received the punishment because he was asleep. He thinks he's going to be punished for flying his broom. Not because he missed the meal.”

“Then explain it to him. Let him know that it's alright for him to fall asleep, and to go flying, but he has to take responsibility in keeping up with the time. That he has to be in the Great Hall for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Just explain it to him. Reassure him that when he makes a mistake, and he will, that you will still be there. Mistakes are going to be made. It's what you learn from them that makes the difference. I tell you what, why don't you take Harry to Hogsmead for dinner. I'll have Draco, so don't worry about him. You and Harry need some bonding time. Let him rest for a little bit longer and then you spend the rest of the day with him. How does that sound?”

Severus, looking down at his son again, nodded.

“Good,” Minerva said standing up. “Now, I'm going to head to the library. There is someone who I must speak with.”

Minerva floo'ed out of Severus' chambers before he could even respond.

___000_____0000_________000___________0000_________000___________0000______0000____

Minerva stepped out of the hearth of the library and was met with the sounds of heartbreaking sobs. She walked through the library and found the source of the crying. There at the first table was Draco with his head down on the table, crying his little heart out. She knew that Lucius spanked him, but he was not this heartbroken when he was with both his dad and her while they waited for Severus to come back with Harry. So she knew that something more had to be bothering him.

“Dragon,” Minerva's voice was low.

Draco's head shot up and looked behind him. His face was tear-stained and red. He just looked completely broken.

“Dragon,” Minerva said again this time opening up her arms. Quickly, Draco got up from the seat and rushed into his Auntie's arms.

“Oh, Dragon,” Minerva soothed as she rubbed the child's back, slightly rocking. “It's not the end of the world. Everything will be alright.”

“He hates me, Auntie Minnie,” Draco sobbed out. His face buried in her robes.

“Who?”

“Uncle Sev,” Draco's voice hitched.

“No he doesn't,” Minerva soothed. “Yes, he may be disappointed, but he doesn't hate you. You're his Dragon.”

They stood there for another few minutes. When Minerva could feel that Draco was calming down, she suggested that they go to her chambers and he clean his face. They walked silently the entire way. Minerva knew that Draco would need some comforting, but she didn't think that he would need as much reassurance as Harry does, but finding him a sobbing mess in the library let her know that Draco was more upset about something than just a spanking. While Draco was in the bathroom cleaning his face, Minerva ordered tea and biscuits, and it was waiting on Draco when he came out of the bathroom. Minerva patted the couch next to her for Draco to sit down.

When Draco sat down, Minerva handed him a biscuit. A small smile came across Draco's lips. He always loved his tea times with his Aunt Minnie.

“Now,” Minerva asked sitting back on the couch. “You want to tell me what really bothering you?”

Draco feeling his rage and anger from this morning coming back almost to full force.

“Why does Potter always ruin everything?” Draco blurted out. “Summer is the one time where Houses don't matter. You're not Gryffindor, and I'm not Slytherin. You're my Auntie Minnie. And Uncle Sev is my godfather. Why is Potter always messing things up? HE SHOULDN'T BE HERE!” By the end of Draco's rant he was yelling and on his feet. His fists were clinched tightly, and his biscuit was long since forgotten crumbled up in his hand.

“Draco, calm down,” Minerva's voice was low, but stern.

“No! I will not. He's not suppose to be here!”

Minerva knew he was just venting, but he was on the borderline of being disrespectful, and she cared too much for your little snake to let him sink deeper and deeper.

Minerva stood up, grabbed Draco's arm and quickly turned her Dragon to the side and landed a firm swat on his behind. She was aware that he'd just received a spanking from his father, so the hit was not hard. Just enough to get his attention.

Draco yelped when he felt the swat. It surprised him more than hurt. Before he could even register that he'd been swatted, he was again standing face to face with his Aunt Minnie.

“Draco Lucius Malfoy, you will calm down this instant,” Minerva admonished.

Just like earlier, tears welled up in the pre-teen's eyes. Minerva stepped closer towards him and wrapped her arms around the child. For the second time, Draco sobbed into the green robes of his Aunt Minnie.

“Oh Dragon,” Minerva rubbed circles on his back as he cried. “You must learn to share.”

_______0000________0000________00000_________00000__________000000_______0000______

Severus paced around the living room, taking glances at his son, who was still asleep on the couch. Even though he knew his mother was probably right about the punishment, it still didn't make him feel better that he didn't even ask Harry why he didn't go to dinner before administering the spanking. As he paced the floor, his warding went off that one of his potions that he had on stasis was ready to be worked on. As much as he didn't want to leave his son's side, he knew he would have to work on that potion, so he walked back to his private lab.

Harry began to stir on the couch. He opened his eyes and realized he wasn't in the storage cupboard anymore. He sat up on the couch and recognized that he was back in his father's chambers. Looking around, he noticed that he was alone. He began to worry that maybe things were worse than he thought. He knew he was about to be punished for not being at lunch, so to make it easy for his dad, and to show him that he could still be a good son, Harry got up off the couch and started to remove his trousers. He unbuttoned his trousers and began to pull them down.

“What are you doing?”

The voice startled Harry as he quickly turned around. His hands still in the same place.

Severus walked out of his lab after he finished bottling up the potion. What he didn't expect to see when he walked back into the living room was Harry starting to get undressed.

“What are you doing, Harry?” Severus asked walking over to his son.

Harry was in a frozen state. He didn't expect his father to be right there, but what scared him more was that again he was doing something that was making his dad angry. Harry could only gape at his father.

Severus sat down in front of Harry, standing him in between his knees. He saw that he undid his trousers, and began to fasten them back.

“Harry,” his voice much softer. “What are you doing?”

Finding his voice, “I w-was....get...getting ready for my pun-punishemt.” Harry tried to keep his voice steady, but it didn't come out that way.

Severus looked up at his distraught child and pulled him into an embrace.

“You will not be punished, little one.”

“But,” Harry said melting into his father's arms. “I missed lunch. And I want to show you that I can be a good boy and take my punishments. I won't play....”

“You are a good boy,” Severus said cutting Harry off. He pulled Harry out until he was arms length and looked at his son. “I know that you couldn't make it to lunch. You had a very good reason not being able to come to lunch. You will not be punished for that.”

“But you came looking for me.” Harry said not understanding.

Severus sighed. He pulled Harry onto his lap and wrapped his arms around him.

“Harry listen to me. Did you lock yourself into that supply cupboard?” Harry shook his head. “Did you try to get out?” Harry nodded. “Well, you know what that tells me?”

Severus looked down at those beautiful green eyes of his son's.

“That tells me,” he continued, “that you knew that you were suppose to be somewhere and that you tried to get there, but because the door was locked, you couldn't. I will not punish you for that.”

“But...” Harry started to protest, but found two fingers on his lips.

“No,” Severus shook his head. “When I told you that, you were sitting in your Common Room just lazing about. Doing nothing. No one was keeping you there. That will earn you a spanking. But if you were tied up, figuratively speaking, then that's different. Understand?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry nodded.

“One more thing,” Severus said, lifting Harry's head so that they were looking at each other. “I want you to understand one more thing. You. Are. Mine. I will never send you away. You will not be going back to those vile people. I'm stuck with you, as you are stuck with me.”

A huge grin came across Harry's face.

“I love you, daddy.”

“I love you too,” Severus said tightening his hold.

TBC

A/N: Thank you to everyone that has favored, followed, and reviewed my story. :)

Many hugs and kisses to you all.

Mandancie :)

Please follow my Mandancie page on Facebook and Tumblr.