Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

Albus insisted that Sirius and Severus stay in Severus’ chambers in the dungeons for several reasons. One, they would be close. If Minerva and Albus were needed, then they would be close. Two, they could keep an eye on them. They could make sure that Severus and Sirius wouldn’t kill each other. Three, the elves would be in charge of having the right food for baby Harry.

Albus was in his office, writing a letter. Minerva walked into his office.

“Albus, is it true?” Minerva asked.

“About the Potters and the Longbottoms?” Albus asked, looking up at Minerva.

Minerva nodded. Albus nodded in response. Minerva sighed and sat in the chair across from Albus.

“Where are Neville and Harry?” Minerva asked after a moment.

“Little Neville is with his grandmother. Luckily, Neville wasn’t home when Alice and Frank were attacked.”

“And Harry?”

“Harry was home when Voldemort got to them,” Albus said, laying his quill in the ink well.

“Where is Harry? With Poppy?” Minerva asked, sliding up in her chair so that she could stand up.

Albus held out his hand, stopping Minerva from standing. “Harry is here, but he’s not with Poppy.”

“Well, where is he?”

“With Severus and Sirius,” Albus sighed.

“Severus and Sirius?” Minerva was appalled. “They cannot be in the same room with each other. Why would you put Harry with them?”

“Well, as it turns out, Severus is the only one that can calm the child down, and he’s also Harry’s godfather.”

“Really?” Minerva was surprised. “I thought Sirius was his godfather.”

“He is.” Albus pulled out the letter that Severus gave him last night. “This is the letter Severus found when he went to the Potters’ house last night.”

Minerva reached out and took the parchment, reading it.

“My goodness,” Minerva gasped. She folded the parchment and put it in her pocket. “Tell me everything that happened last night.”  

Albus regaled Minerva, everything that happened from when he got to Augusta’s house to coming back to the castle, an interesting conversation with Sirius, followed by Severus. He ended with how Sirius and Severus were now with Harry, together.

___0000_____0000____0000___

Severus was tired. Harry refused to lay in the crib that Albus had transfigured for him. There had been several changes to Severus’ chambers. Two more bedrooms were added. They were placed next to Severus’ bedroom. Harry’s room was in between Severus’ and Sirius’ room with conjoining doors so that they could easily get to Harry if he needed them.

Severus tried to put Harry down. But Harry would either grip hold of Severus’ clothes, or he would start moaning and whimpering like he was going to cry. Sirius was pissed that he couldn’t hold his godson, so he went to his room for the night.

Severus walked towards the crib once again. He was able to move Harry away from his shoulder. His head cradled in Severus’ hand. Severus got Harry as close as the blanket in the crib when Harry woke up and started whining. Severus tried to ignore it and laid Harry in the crib. Harry whined and whimpered. He was awake now.

“Listen, Potter,” Severus grumbled. “This is getting tiresome. I cannot continue to hold you. I want to go to bed.”

Harry looked up at the dark man. His lip was pouting, reaching out his hands towards the man.

“P’ese,” Harry whined.

Severus walked out of the room. Harry was heartbroken. He was alone. Sitting down on the mattress, his eyes filled with tears. Harry looked around the room. It was bigger than his other room. There were toys everywhere. Harry started hiccupping. He wanted his dark man to come back. He felt safe with the dark man. He kept the evil snake away.

In the corner of the crib were his stuff broom and dog. Harry crawled over to the corner and picked up his stuff dog. Sitting back down on his bottom, he cradled his dog to his chest, crying into the dog’s head.

The door to his room opened. Harry heard footsteps coming towards the crib. He didn’t want to look up to see someone standing there and not pick him up. He felt hands under his arms, lifting him out of bed. Harry looked up and saw the other man. He recognized him, but it wasn’t his dark man.

“Come with me, little stag,” Sirius said.

Sirius walked to the corner of the room to the rocking chair. He sat down with Harry sitting on his lap. Leaning to the side, Sirius pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket. Straightening up, Sirius wiped his godson’s face.

“I know you’re tired,” Sirius soothed, sliding Harry back until his head was on Sirius’ shoulder. Harry recognized his Paddy when he laid his head down. He loved his Paddy, but he didn’t want to sleep with him.

Sirius started rocking back and forth. His hand was rubbing Harry’s back in soothing, slow circles.

Harry didn’t want to go to sleep. He wanted his dark man to sleep on. Harry started sucking on his two middle fingers, leaning on Paddy’s shoulder, tears still streaming down his face.

Severus walked back into Harry’s room. He was now changed into his nightclothes with a robe over it.

“What are you doing here?” Sirius growled quietly.

“I came to check on my godson,” Severus sneered. He knew repeating that fact to the dog would piss him off.

“You left him in here, crying,” Sirius argued.

“I needed to take a shower and change my clothes. I cannot always hold the child. I’m sure you agree.”

Sirius didn’t respond to that as he couldn’t argue with that. It actually felt good holding his godson.

“Is he asleep?” Severus asked.

“Don’t worry about it,” Sirius said, continuing rubbing Harry’s back. “I’ll take care of him, my godson.”

Severus walked over to the rocking chair and saw that Harry was wide awake and still crying. He wasn’t making any noise. Severus stood in the baby’s line of sight. Harry instantly started squirming in Sirius’ arms. Harry wanted out of Paddy’s arms and into the Dark man’s arms.

“Well, I see that you have everything under control,” Severus said, smirking. “I’ll leave you with our godson.”

Severus walked out of the room, closing the door to the beginnings of cries from Harry.

_____0000____0000____0000

The next morning, both wizards were at their wit's end. Thirty minutes after Severus left and he was falling asleep. He was disturbed by Sirius walking into his room with a screaming Harry. Neither man got any sleep that night. Sirius was hurt that he couldn’t calm his godson, and Severus couldn’t sleep because every time he tried to lay Harry down, he would wake up and start screaming again.

Albus and Minerva decided they wanted to check in on the three and see how they did on their first night. The two elder adults walked into Severus’ chambers to see a sight they did not expect. Sirius and Severus were in the living room. Sirius was in the chair with his feet on the coffee table, and Severus was sitting sideways on the sofa. Both men were asleep. Harry was asleep on Severus’ chest.

Albus got closer to Harry and Severus and saw that Harry had a grip on Severus’ night robe. Looking at his two strong-willed students who he felt were more like sons, he saw they looked tired even while they slept.

“Looks like Harry ran everything,” Minerva said, looking over the room.

“Yes, it seems that way,” Albus said, running his fingers in Harry’s curly hair.

“Shall we wake them up?” Minerva asked.

“No,” Albus answered. “Let them sleep. The three of them had a long day and even a longer night yesterday. We’ll check on them later.

Albus and Minerva walked to the door. Albus waved his hand over the room, placing a charm over the room so he would be alerted when either one of them woke up.

“Sleep well, my boys,” Albus said, closing the door.

TBC