Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it has been a long time since I've updated. I hope you enjoy this next chapter. :)
Chapter 6

Severus woke up with a crick in his neck. It was a long night. Harry refused to go to sleep unless Severus was holding him. He knew he had things he needed to do since classes started the next day. He had papers to grade. Poppy needed the Pepper-up Potion restocked.

Severus heard a groan coming from the side of him and knew that the mutt was awake.

“What time is it?” Sirius asked.

“No clue,” Severus said. “This blasted boy kept us up most of the night.”

“What are you complaining about?” Sirius growled. “You got to hold him.”

“Believe me,” Severus said, taking great care of sitting up so he didn’t wake Harry. “If I could hand you this child, I would. I still have to work. And I can’t do that if I’m holding the brat the whole night.”

“Stop arguing.”

Severus and Sirius turned to the other voice in the room.

“You know you can stop laughing at us now,” Severus sneered.

“Now, why would I do that?” Albus asked, raising his hands. “I’m not laughing at the two of you. But it is amazing to see a small child break the two of you. You looked so peaceful sleeping in here.”

“There was nothing peaceful about it,” Severus said, rolling his neck around. “I couldn’t even lay down in bed with the child.”

Harry started to squirm from the noise in the room. Severus looked down and saw two green eyes looking up at him. Harry gave him a huge grin and then stretched in the Potion Master’s arms.

Sirius walked over and got into the baby’s line of sight and Harry smiled at him.

“Paddy,” Harry squealed. “Paddy.”

Sirius held out his hands, while Harry leaned over in Severus arms. Severus was elated to let go of the child; he transferred the boy to the mutt with no problem.

Severus almost groaned as the muscles in his arms finally relaxed. He held Harry all night and now his arms felt like he had been lifting cauldrons all day and night. He was so tired; he just wanted to go to bed and sleep for the day.

“So, Albus,” Severus said, walking in his kitchenette. “Did you bring everything for the child?”

“Yes,” Albus said, following Severus. “Minerva has it. She’s going to come down after she finishes eating.”

Severus waved his hand and a cup of coffee appeared in front of him.

“Something has to be done,” Severus said. “I can’t deal with what I dealt with last night.”

“I’m sorry that he kept you two up all night,” Albus said.

The tone Albus was using let Severus know that Albus was getting a kick out of his and Sirius misery.

Sirius walked in the kitchen, holding a moaning Harry.

“Take that child away from me,” Severus said. The last thing he wanted was to hold the child again. He needed a break.

Hearing that his Dark man didn’t want to hold him made Harry’s moan go to a whiny cry.

“Sweet Merlin,” Severus sighed. He stood up and took the baby from Sirius.

Harry’s crying softened to a low moan.

“I suspect he’s hungry,” Albus said. “I’ve taking the liberty of giving the House-elves Harry’s formula. So, Sirius why don’t you call down to the kitchens and have them send it up along with breakfast for the two of you.”

“No breakfast for me,” Severus said. “I want to lay down for a bit and try and get some sleep. The mutt can feed Harry.”

“Snivellus,” Sirius growled. “I’m getting tired of you calling me that.”

“Back at you,” Severus said, evenly.

“Alright, you two,” Albus said. “Sirius, call the elves please?”

Sirius left the kitchen. Albus walked over so that he could see Harry. Harry gave the Headmaster a teary smile.

“Albee,” Harry cooed.

“Well, how about that,” Albus said.

But when Albus held out his hand, Harry turned his head. Severus sighed as he sat down. The Potion Master just hoped that when Harry’s food come, he would let him go so he could get some rest.

Sirius walked in with a filled bottle. At the same time, two plates of food popped on the table. Sirius sat down next to Severus. Severus tried to hand over Harry and to his delightful surprise, Harry went.

“If you will excuse me,” Severus said, standing up. “I’m going to sleep. Have fun with your godson, Sirius.” Severus put emphasis on the man’s name. And without another word, walked down the hall towards his room.

Sirius smiled down at his godson, cradled in his arms. He gave Harry the bottle and the child quickly latched on and started drinking. Sirius waved his hand on the second plate, casting a warming spell over Severus’ food.

Albus walked out of Severus’ chambers but not before putting his hand on Sirius’ shoulder, giving him a comforting squeeze.

___000___000___000

After a few hours, Severus re-emerged from his room.

“Feeling better?” Sirius asked. He was sitting on the sofa. Harry was on the floor playing with a few small toys that Sirius transfigured for him.

“A lot, thank you,” Severus said.

“I put a warming charm on your breakfast,” Sirius said. “In case you were hungry when you got up.”

Severus brow furrowed. He looked in the kitchenette and saw that there was a plate on the table that still had steam coming from it.

“Thank you,” Severus said cautiously.

Sirius shrugged then continued to watch Harry who was oblivious of the men’s conversation.

There was a knock on the door. Severus was nearly finished with his food, when he waved his hand at the door.

Minerva strolled in with several packages floating behind her.

“You think you brought enough?” Severus asked.

“Oh, be quiet, Severus,” Minerva softly chided. “This is everything and probably more that Little Harry will need staying with the two of you.”

The packages were lowered in front of the chair by the fireplace. Harry saw the packages and loss interest on the transfigured toys in order to see what was in the bags and boxes.

“Why hello, Little Harry,” Minerva cooed.

Severus rolled his eyes at the way Minerva was talking.

“Come see all the special things I got for you.”

“Minerva,” Severus said. “The last thing this boy needs is to be spoiled by you.”

“Nonsense, Severus,” Minerva said. “Harry is a good baby. And it doesn’t hurt to spoil the child a little. Anyway, it’s not like you two haven’t already spoiled the boy.”

“What are you talking about?” Severus sneered.

“You two looked so peaceful with Harry wrapped around your fingers,” Minerva teased.

Severus huffed and turned. “I’m going to be in my office.” And he stormed away.

Sirius couldn’t help but to laugh at the banter between the two of them.

“So, what do you have for Harry?” Sirius asked, trying to calm down his laughter.

The first package Minerva started pulling from were the essentials they were going to need to take care of Harry: diapers, dummies, stuff animals, clothes, and cleaning supplies. Sirius waved his hand sending that in Harry’s room.

The second package had toys, toys and more toys.

“I don’t think you got enough,” Sirius smirked.

“You can never have too many toys,” Minerva said.

“Not according to Severus,” Sirius said.

“Well, he won’t have the last say,” Minerva said.

Harry was overjoyed about everything he saw. There was so much. He pulled out the small broom.

“You want to try out the broom, Pronglet?” Sirius asked.

Harry nodded so eagerly that his hair was swirling around.

“Okay, okay,” Sirius said, smiling.

The animagus went to the child, taking the broom so that he could fly around. It only went two to three feet off the ground, but Harry had fun.

___000___000___000

Severus was fuming.

“How dare she say that I’m spoiling that boy?” Severus thought, seething. “That brat wouldn’t do what he was supposed to do. All I wanted was to put him to bed and get some sleep. But did that happen? No. I couldn’t even give the heathen to his dogfather.”

“I didn’t spoil that child. I only wanted to get some peace and quiet.”

Severus sighed and plopped down in his chair behind his desk. He shook his head at everything that happened in the last forty-eight hours. One minute everything was fine and then a second later everything was in chaos.

Severus missed his friend. Even though they haven’t talked he still cared about Lily. Then learning that she had forgiven him was bittersweet. The knowledge that he was forgiven but now he couldn’t enjoy that news with her since she was gone.

Severus sighed and pulled the stack of parchment papers closer to him so he could start grading them.

He was in the middle of grading a Hufflepuff’s paper when he heard a slight creaking sound. When he looked up, he didn’t see anything and went back to grading. He was disturbed again when a hand grabbed hold of his pant leg. Severus looked up with a solemn look and then down at the child who was now climbing up his leg and standing next to him.

“Can I help you, little boy?” Severus asked. His eyebrow raised, looking down at the child smiling up at him.

“What doin’?” Harry said.

“Working,” Severus said.

Harry was leaning against Severus’ leg, trying to pull himself up. Severus sighed, slid his chair back and picked up the boy. When Harry was placed on the Potions Master’s lap, he leaned his head on Severus’ shoulder, putting two fingers in his mouth.

“Why are you in here?” Severus asked.

“Miss you,” Harry mumbled. His words were slurred since he didn’t take his fingers out.

“I hardly believe that.” Severus said, absently rubbing small circles on the small boy’s back.

“You see what I got?” Harry mumbled.

“Later,” Severus said.

Severus didn’t notice that Harry’s eyes were drooping. Severus pulled the parchment he was reading closer to him and finished reading it. When he looked down, he saw that Harry was asleep on his lap.

Severus lifted his eyes to the ceiling. Not again, he thought.

TBC