Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A new home and a new dynamic.
Chapter 9
Chapter 9
The next morning, Harry woke up to the smell of breakfast. Smiling inwardly, he got dressed and went downstairs. It was definitely a change, being in Professor Snape’s domain without worrying about the man’s temper. Part of him was actually hoping that he could stay here for the rest of the summer. It wasn’t that he wouldn’t love to visit the Weasleys or maybe even see Sirius. It was just that for ones, Harry felt safe. Being around his friends would, under normal circumstances, have the same effect. Except that things weren’t normal at the moment. There was a madman hell-bent on killing him and being around his friends would only endanger them. Snape on the other hand… Well, Harry didn’t hate him anymore, he didn’t even dislike the man, not when Snape was the one to get him away from his relatives. But even now that he didn’t want anything to happen to the potions master, Harry wasn’t worried. Unlike his friends, Snape was an adult and could handle himself.

Snape was already in the kitchen reading the paper when Harry joined him. A plate with some scrambled eggs and toast appeared in front of him and Harry dug in with relish. He was starving, even after only two days at the Dursleys. Besides a grumbled ‘Good Morning’, neither Harry nor Snape spoke. The potions master seemed to be completely engrossed in the morning paper, making Harry wonder whatever could be so interesting. He didn’t ask though, and not just because he had a feeling disturbing Snape before noon was a bad idea. After last year, The Daily Prophet had lost any credibility in Harry’s eyes. He could only imagine what they were printing these days and honestly, he was glad for that. He wanted to know what was going on in the magical world, but reading that particular rag would only aggravate him.

Once they were done with dinner, they left the house and Snape apparated them to Hogwarts. Harry still stumbled a bit but Snape had been right, it got just a tad bit easier. Soon, they were walking towards the gate, to the enormous entrance doors and up the stairs to the headmaster’s office. The gargoyle moved before they had a chance to give the password and Dumbledore bade them enter before they even considered knocking the door.

Apparently, the headmaster had been expecting them. As there were two comfortable seats, two cups of tea and some biscuits waiting for them. Dumbledore told them to sit and continued scribbling on the parchment spread on his desk. Harry’s brows raised at the lack of an offer of lemon drops but didn’t comment on it. He’d started to suspect the headmaster had them infused with calming draught or some similar potion. Every time he accepted one, was followed by days of wondering why he hadn’t asked the man to clarify his rather convoluted answers. It was always extremely innocent though, which was why he expected a calming draught. It was the only thing that Harry could think of that made one more agreeable but still capable of thinking clearly and freely.

Harry didn’t really think the biscuits were similarly tainted but stuck to the tea just in case. They sat in silence for a few minutes. The only noises the soft scratching of the headmasters quill and the irritated ticking of Snape’s spoon against his cup. The headmaster looked up with a genial smile, seemingly unperturbed by the glare Snape had been giving the older man since they sat down.

“Well my boys, what can I do for you?” There was no concern as to why the two were there to be found.

Snape answered before Harry could, and it wasn’t at all what Harry had thought he would say. With narrowed eyes he hissed through his clenched teeth at the headmaster “He is not going back, find a different place for the child.”

Dumbledore sighed and leaned back in his chair. “There is to other place Severus. You know this. With Voldemort back, Harry has to stay put.”

Harry noticed the twitch of the arm as well as the irritated expression on Snape’s face at the name. It made him wonder why the headmaster insisted of using it, he had to have noticed it hurt Snape every time he did so in his vicinity.

Snape didn’t say anything on the subject though, instead he looked at Harry with a raised eyebrow. “Are you safe at Privet Drive?”

Harry, momentarily stunned at the question, shook his head.

“Speak up child.”

Taking a deep breath to stop himself from getting annoyed at the tone, he answered honestly “No, sir. I’ve never been safe there.”

“Why not?”

Harry really didn’t feel like talking about this. Snape had seen it himself, why couldn’t he be the one to explain it to the headmaster. After all, Harry’s attempts of telling somebody had never helped before. But Snape would help this time, of that he was certain, though he didn’t know why. So instead of shrugging him of as he wanted to, Harry answered honestly. “My family hates me, sir. They never cared for me and made sure I knew.”

The headmaster sighed and sat forward, extending a hand towards Harry as if wishing to comfort him. “I’m sorry Harry, I know it’s not ideal but you are safe there. Are hurt feelings really worse than the possibility of being caught and tortured by Death Eaters?”

Harry shrunk back slightly and shook his head. But before he could protest that it wasn’t that simple. That his family did more than hurt his feelings, Snape snapped.

“Are you really that blind, old man? Have you learned nothing from your years as headmaster?”

Dumbledore blinked and looked at the potions master with some emotions Harry could decipher. “Severus, I expected you to do your job and keep Harry safe. You know how important it is for him to stay there. Why did you take him away without consulting me first?”

Snape snarled and stood him, looming dangerously towards the headmaster. “Because I was keeping him safe like I promised. I have no need to consult you about every little thing I do as this has nothing to do with you.”

Dumbledore sat back, obviously not expecting that answer. “Is it not customary to inform the one who requested the task if plans are changed?”

Snape narrowed his eyes “I am informing you now.”

The headmaster glanced from Harry to Snape and back “Harry, could you please leave us for a moment.”

Harry was about the get up, strangely relieved with the reprieve -it wasn’t exactly comfortable, to be in the middle of Snape and the headmaster’s argument- but Snape moved to his side and put a hand on his shoulder. “Potter stays.”

The men glared at each other for a moment, well one glared while the other remained oddly unaffected by it, before both of them sat back down. Dumbledore folder his hands and looked at Snape for a long time before asking “Why did you take Harry away from his home?”

Snape sneered “That’s not a home, that’s a house.” He raked a hand through his hair and shot a glance a Harry. “The fact that the brat is still trying to do more than just survive is a miracle.”

Dumbledore blinked at the man, then gave Harry and intense look. “Harry, has your family ever physically hurt you?”

Harry shrugged “Dudley used to pick on me all the time, but he quit after I started Hogwarts. He’s too afraid that of growing another tail or choking on his tong.”

Snape shot him an odd look but didn’t comment. Harry had a feeling he was going to have to explain the comment later but didn’t really care. It wasn’t as if he had been the one to do either of those things to his cousin.

“What about your aunt and uncle? Did they ever hurt you?”

Another shrug, followed by a light tap to the back of his head from Snape. Clearly, he was expected to give verbal answers. “Not really. They didn’t hit me or anything like that.” Harry saw Snape twitch and quickly amended his answer “Well, they never hit be with fist or belts of anything like that.”

Snape glared at Harry “That wale could have given you a concussion or dislocated your shoulder, shaking a child that violently.” He shook his head, his face somewhere between disgusted and pissed off “And yet you say they never ‘hit’ you.”

“It’s not like grabbing someone’s arm is a crime…” He knew the excuse was weak, but he couldn’t help himself.

Snape’s jaws locked as he glared at Harry. Hissing through his teeth he asked “What is the longest you’ve ever gone without food.”

Cocking his head, Harry thought a moment. He’d been locked in his room for several weeks more than once, but usually he was allowed to eat once every so often. In the cupboard, he sometimes forgot how long it had been. Shaking his head, he looked at Snape feeling rather lost all of a sudden. “I don’t know sir. A week?”

The adults glanced at each other and both of them drew in long steading breaths. Then Snape asked “What did your family do when you were sick?”

Harry’s eyes shot towards the man. Why was he asking that? The food he could understand. After all, Snape had seen how little he was allowed to eat during his stay. But he hadn’t been sick so why would Snape go there? Realizing it didn’t matter why, Harry slumped. “They locked me in my room until I got better.”

All of a sudden, Harry felt a crackling, like electricity, run over his skin. Looking up, he saw that the headmaster was now standing, his fists clenched. Harry thought they should really quit now, not willing to risk the headmaster from becoming even angrier, but Snape had other plans.

“Where was your room, Potter?”

Looking from Snape to the headmaster, Harry wondered what the man was doing. Did the potions master really think it was a good idea to talk about this now? When it was clear that Dumbledore was on the verge of losing it. For some reason, he decided to thrust that Snape knew what he was doing and answered. “My room was under the cupboard. I was given Dudley’s second room when the first letter arrived and they thought somebody was watching them.”

Dumbledore practically fell back into his chair, his eyes closed as wind swirled around the room. They sat in silence. The two younger men looking on, as the older one did his best to regain some control. Slowly, the air calmed and the electric feeling stopped buzzing along Harry’s skin. The headmasters face became calm, almost as blank as Snape’s usually was. Looking at Harry he said “I am sorry. I knew you didn’t like it there.” Rubbing a hand over his face, the headmaster seemed extremely tiered all of a sudden. “I have been purposely blind. I should have asked, should have looked closer. But you were safe and you are such a happy and well-adjusted child…”

Both black haired males snorted, but it was Snape that sneered “So it’s his fault you refused to open your eyes, again?”

The headmaster shook his head “No, I did not mean that. I was simply attempting to… Explain, I suppose. I have no excuse, I should have looked.”

“You have more than enough excuses, you have been telling them to yourself for years and you will continue to do so. You will make the same mistake over and over again. You don’t even know how many students currently reside in similar situations.”

Dumbledore blinked in surprise “Severus?”

Snape sighed “I only inform you of those that can be helped. There is no use informing you of the actions of certain parents when there is no legal way to step in.”

The headmaster nodded and turned back to Harry “I am sorry for my actions, my boy. I should have checked on you.”

Again Harry snorted “You should not have left me there in the first place. For Merlins sake, it was November and you left a baby on a doorstep. Just what were you expecting?”

Dumbledore closed his eyes again, and Harry wasn’t certain if he was trying to deal with the guilt or was simply trying to forget and pretend it didn’t exist for as long as he could. “I’m sorry, Harry. I… There is nothing I can say to change what has happened.”

Snape nodded as if he agreed with that statement, clearly not at all affected by the headmasters distress, and snapped “How about you tell the child what will happen now. There is no need to keep him in suspense just so you can have some extra time to deal with this supposedly new information.”

The headmaster glanced for Harry to Snape, a small smile returning to his lips. “Yes, of course. What did you have in mind Severus?”

“I had thought I would leave that to you, headmaster. However, might I suggest he goes to headquarters? I’m sure the mutt would love to see him.”

Harry nodded happily. He wasn’t sure where headquarters was, but if Sirius was there, he wanted to go. He hadn’t been able to spend any time with his godfather yet, and he desperately wanted to. Besides, Sirius was a wanted criminal, if he was safely hidden there than surely they wouldn’t be able to find Harry there.

Dumbledore however, seemed to think that was a bad idea. “Headquarters is not a good option at this time.” The headmaster rubbed his hand over his beard a few times, as if deep in thought. “There is a house that might be suited for the situation, but it currently stands empty.”

Harry shrugged “I’ve been taking care of myself since I could walk. If Mrs. Weasley could bring me some groceries ones a week, I would be perfectly fine staying along for the summer.”

The headmaster smiled at him encouragingly, but obviously disagreed “I’m sorry Harry, just because you can look after yourself doesn’t mean you should. You need an adult to take care of you.” Snape scoffed, drawing the attention of the headmaster “You disagree, Severus?”

The man shook his head “No. I absolutely agree that he can’t stay alone. I just don’t think you and I agree on the definition of care.”

Harry didn’t know why, but he had a feeling Snape was rather unhappy with the headmaster at the moment. Normally, he would have thought the comment meant that Snape thought Dumbledore wanted to coddle him. For some reason though, it sounded more like Snape was saying the opposite. Like he thought the headmaster wasn’t doing enough, instead of the usual blather about bending to the golden boys every whim.

The headmaster’s response was something neither of them had expected. His eyes once again back to their normal twinkling state, he said “Well then, how about you take care of Harry? You were complaining about having to return to Spinners End, were you not?”

Snape’s face was completely blank as he stared at the headmaster “No.”

Harry bit his lip at the outright refusal. It wasn’t that he particularly wanted to stay with the dour potions master. He’d much rather move in with his godfather. But still, the refusal hurt. No matter how badly the two of them got along, being unwanted always hurt.

“Please, Severus? I have nobody else I can trust with this matter.”

Snape scoffed “You have the entire Order at your disposal. Ask one of them to do it.”

“They have things to do.”

Folding his harm in front of his chest, Snape glared “So do I.”

Smiling slightly, the headmaster nodded “I know my boy. But there is a potions lab at the house and Harry has already promised to behave if you were to be called. You know this is the best solution.”

The two men glared at each other for a while, while Harry looked from one man to the other, nervously twisting the fabric of his robes between his fingers. He had no idea what he wanted to happen, whether he wanted to stay in the same house with Snape or not. When Snape finally uncrossed his arms and leaned towards the headmaster, Harry held his breath.

“I’ll do it, under one condition…” He paused for a moment, then added with a rather smug smile “I want full guardianship over the child.”

The headmaster’s eyes widened while Harry sputtered. “Y..you want what?”

Snape turned his head and lifted a brow as if to say do you really want to discuss this now? Harry didn’t know what to think of the look, of course he wanted to know what the hell was going on right now. If he was going to get a new guardian he was damn well going to have to say something about it. The headmaster saved him from having to comment.

“That’s not possible and you know it. We cannot compromise your position with Voldemort like that.”

Snape glared at the headmaster. Whether it was for using the name or for mentioning his position as a spy so cavalierly, Harry didn’t know. “We will sign the papers and file them at Gringotts. I don’t care if the world believes you are still his magical guardian, nor do I particularly care if you pretend he is still living with his relatives. All I care about is that you realise that I make the final decisions from now on.”

Harry would have giggled at the headmasters dropped jaw was it not for the fact that he was slightly shaken of balance as well. He couldn’t figure out why Snape was doing this. Why had he changed his mind so abruptly? There had to be a reason; after all, Snape never did anything without a reason. Harry could only hope that for ones, the man’s reasons were not based on his hatred for Harry’s father, as they usually were. Eventually, Harry grew tired of the two men staring at each other. Clearing his throat to get their attention, he said “You realize of course, that I am the one who has the last say. You can keep me from doing things or encourage me, but after all this time you must realize that I do what I want…”

Snape snorted “This isn’t about what you do or don’t do. This is about what the adults around you do, or don’t do.”

Harry rolled his eyes and muttered “Adults are useless.”

He’d expected Snape to snap at him for the comment and was surprised when Snape just smirked and turned back to the headmaster. “And that’s exactly why I want guardianship if I must take on this task.”

Dumbledore pursed his lips and nodded slowly “You will not divulge anything without my permission.”

Snape gave a curt nod “He is a child, I will not concern him with thing you would rather keep hidden. Now, where is it we are supposed to go?”


Two hours later, Snape and Harry landed safely in the backyard of a large estate. The headmaster had refused to tell them where they were going. Instead he’d made them a code activated portkey and send them of to pack. Assuring Harry that he would visit them within the next two weeks to discuss the possibility of visiting Sirius. Harry was reasonably certain he’d offered in an attempt to make up for his negligence regarding Harry’s home situation but wasn’t about to decline. He was apprehensive of being under Snape’s guardianship and had a feeling seeing Sirius would be a happy escape.

Snape led out a groan when they arrived. Glaring at Harry he said “Welcome to Potter Mansion.”

Harry looked at the large colonial style mansion in surprise. This was his family’s home? Walking forward to get a closer look, he asked “How do you know?”

“I have seen pictures. Now get inside.”

Harry did as asked and looked around, mouth wide open in astonishment. It was absolutely marvellous. The entrance hall alone was larger than the whole of Privet Drive. Putting his trunk to the side, he started exploring with giddy anticipation. Snape called after him a few time but Harry ignored the man. He was in his father’s childhood home, he simply had to look around.

About an hour later, Harry dropped down in one of the armchairs in the library with a grin on his face. Snape had his nose in a book and appeared to be ignoring Harry. Fairly certain the man wouldn’t appreciate being interrupted, Harry grabbed one of the books on a nearby shelf and started looking through it. It was a book on charms, many of which Harry already knew. But there were a few that looked handy. Waving his hand, Harry summoned some parchment from the desk in the corner and grabbed his wand to copy the charms he wanted to remember. Before he had a change to do anything, Snape interrupted him.

“Since when did you become so adept at summoning charms?”

Harry looked up with a grimace. He hadn’t actually intended for anyone to find that out, especially not Snape. “I learned it for my first task.”

“You had a wand during the task, and you said the spell. You did neither a moment ago.”

Harry sighed in aggravation, he really shouldn’t have been so careless. Not even his best friends new of the things he’d learned during the past year. Shrugging, he tried to make light of it “It’s just a bit of parchment, sir.”

Snape’s eyes narrowed “How can you be so cavalier over using magic like that? Do you have no respect for the skill it takes whatsoever?”

Blinking, Harry stared at him. “It’s just accidental magic.”

“Yet, it wasn’t accidental, was it?”

“Well no, but it never really is. I may not have intended to actually blow up my aunt but I definitely wished for her to go away. And I landed on the roof because I wanted to be somewhere Dudley and his gang couldn’t get me. It was never really expected but it wasn’t really accidental either.”

“That is how accidental magic works. Children wish for silly things and sometimes, a child’s magic may grant it. Though usually not in the way expected, as a child cannot comprehend magic well enough to use it accurately. Ones you gain control over you magic and learn how to use it correctly, such incidents stop.”

“I’ve heard that before. I always thought it sounded strange. I mean, I get that you need to learn control. Magic can be dangerous if you can’t direct it properly, I know that. But why would you cut of your ability to do accidental magic if you could instead learn to wield it properly.”

Snape led out a deep breath and raked a hand through his hair. Standing up he walked towards one of the shelfs lining the wall. He seemed to be looking for a particular book while muttering something under his breath that sounded remarkably like “I can’t believe this. The brat doesn’t even know what he is doing and still he manages to use magic beyond anyone but Albus.”

After a minute of searching, he returned and handed Harry a book. Harry read the title and was instantly fascinated Wandless magic, from start to finish. He gave Snape an inquiring look “I thought wandless magic still required you to use spells.”

“Yes.” Snape almost hissed the word, then seemed to get his frustration under control and added “Many wizards never learn how to channel their magic without a wand. Even fewer are capable of using that magic freely. Unless you just lied and have somehow learned to use a wandless and non-verbal summoning charm, you have a very rare natural ability.”

“Can Riddle do it?” It was the first thing that Harry thought of. If the dark wizard couldn’t, than maybe Harry had something he could use.

“The Dark Lord is a master in non-verbal as well as wandless magic. Whether he needs spells or not, I cannot say. However, it is highly likely that he has the same ability.”

Harry sighed, only slightly disappointed. In the back of his mind, he’d known there could be no definitive answer to the question. “It’s impossible to tell the difference unless the person in questions tells you.”

As Snape nodded, Harry hung his head “I should have just pretended to know non-verbal magic and was already holding my wand.”

Snorting, the man shook his head. “The day you can fool me is the day I give fifty point to Gryffindor.”

Harry leaned forward, suddenly very interested “Is that a challenge, sir?”

“You will never succeed, Potter.”

Grinning, Harry sat back “I have three years left, I will learn.”

Snape looked at him with a curious expression for a long time, before he got up and left the room without another word. Harry shrugged at the man’s departure and started to read the book on wandless magic.

Harry hadn’t even finished the first chapter when Snape returned, four more books in hand. Sitting down, he placed the books in front of Harry with a pointed glare. “By the end of the summer, you will have finished all five of these books. You can go through them and practise on your own. You can come to me with questions or for help on your practical work. At the end of each week, we will go through your progress.”

Harry put the book on wandless magic to the side and looked at the other four. He smiled at the first book, it was Practical defence against the dark arts, one of the books he had bought the last time they had visited. The second and third books on the piles seemed rather standard, respectively they were called Book of Spells and Book of Potions. The book on the bottom was Ancient runes made easy, which made him look at the Potions Master in confusion. “I don’t have runes, sir.”

“I am well aware that you chose to waste your time with fortune-telling, Mr. Potter. However, since you are residing with me, you will be studying what I tell you to study.”

Harry smirked at the man “I think that technically, you are residing with me sir.”

Glaring at Harry, Snape hissed “I am the adult, Potter. You will do as I say.”

Sighing deeply, Harry nodded “As I told you yesterday, I will listen as long as you are willing to explain. If you could tell me why I need to study runes, I might do so willingly.”

Pinching the bridge of his nose in aggravation, Snape answered, his teeth still clenched. “Runes can be used in various ways, most importantly warding. Not to mention that it is a form of magic that can be used with very little energy. You simply draw or carve the rune and activate it. The strength depends on accuracy and very little magic is required. I assumed you wished to be able to defend yourself, even when you are at your weakest.”

No matter how much he wished to disagree, he really couldn’t. The man had a point. Runes were another way of using magic. He really should learn the basics of all magical fields. Looking at the man, who seemed to be studying his face, Harry couldn’t help but ask “Why did you ask for guardianship, sir?”

“There are many things I cannot tell you, Potter. For many different reasons.” Harry was about to comment put Snape held up a hand to stop him “Don’t be arrogant, Potter. None of those reasons include you in any way. While I agree with the headmaster that you are still young, I do not believe that is a good reason to keep things from you. There are, however, other things that must be taken into consideration.” He waited for Harry to give some sign of acceptance before he continued. “I have several reasons why I demanded guardianship over you. But there is only one I can share with you at this moment.”

“Fine, what is it?”

Snape looked to the sky as if begging for patients “Manners, Potter. As for my reason, it’s simple. Before, I believed you to be a spoiled little brat who got everything he could ever want. I assumed your mediocre performance at school was due to your own idiocy. However, after realizing how you grew up; I came to realize that your lack of education is most likely due to a lack of guidance. If I am to be responsible for you for the summer, we might as will use this time to further your education.”

“You could do that without guardianship, I doubt Dumbledore would mind if you helped me with my studies. Plus, won’t this whole guardian this last until I become of age?”

“Professor Dumbledore would have restricted our fields of study. You cannot afford to be picky, not with the amount of danger you’re in. And yes, this would be until you come of age. Unless of course, you or I decide to rip up the documents.”

“Aren’t they filed with Gringotts?”

“Yes they are. Legal document can be destroyed by the subjects.”

“Didn’t the headmaster sign the document too?”

“Yes, but he’s not a recipient. It’s similar to buying a car. Once everything is signed, the previous owner loses all claims.”

“Except, I’m not a car.” Harry grumped, offended by the idea of it. Being signed over as if he were a lifeless machine.

Snape smirked at him and drawled “Indeed. Which is why you have access to the papers as well. Once a child becomes eleven, they are considered old enough to make certain decisions on their own. Choosing your own guardians is part of that, though you must always have at least one.”

Harry gaped at the man “You’re saying I could have left the Dursleys since I started Hogwarts?”

The professor’s face showed a flicker of regret before it became blank. “No, this is only Gringotts we are speaking about. Changing your guardians through the ministry is a lot harder.”

“What’s the difference?”

“The arrangement I have with Albus only works because of certain understandings we have. Legally, your relatives are still your guardians.”

Harry bit his lip at that “So, I could still be sent back there?”

“No.” Snape’s eyes flashed with something Harry couldn’t place. It might have been anger or pity, he couldn’t say. “Don’t worry about it, Harry.”

Harry’s eyes snapped to the professor’s face at the use of his name. Snape never called his by his first name, it was always Potter. The professor looked at him as if he hadn’t said anything strange at all. Deciding not to comment, he turned back to the books. “I have my own copy of practical defence against the dark arts.”

“Have you read it?”

“Yes, though there are a few spells I have been able to cast yet.”

“We can discuss them somewhere this week. Today I want you to write down exactly what your summer homework is for each class. Once you’ve done that, you can either start your homework or look through the books.”

The Gryffindor groaned “I’m going to have to spend by whole summer studying, don’t I?”

“Don’t whine, it’s unbecoming. I have a meeting in an hour, but I will be back for dinner. We will discuss my expectations as well as your schedule then.”

Harry gave a short nod “Be careful, wherever you’re going.”

Stopping in his way out the Library, Snape turned at gave harry a strange look “Not that kind of meeting, Potter.”

“Ooh, Okay.” Harry shrugged, strangely relieved. Just as the professor stepped out the door, he thought to ask “Wait, how will I get dinner? There’s nothing in the kitchen.”

He heard Snape’s reply coming from somewhere down the hallway “Call that elf that’s always gushing about you, Mr. Potter.”
Chapter End Notes:
Please review!