Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

This is the first time in years that I have written anything for Harry Potter again. I was inspired by the fic fest, and my holiday to the Lake District last week. I loved it there! The house was inspired by a house I saw near the A591 between Windermere and Ambleside. The whole setting near Troutbeck, was inspired by a walk I took in the area (it's in Top 10 Pub Walks in the Lake District). As far as I know there is no farm actually called Evan's Farm there, but who knows...

Disclaimer: HP is not mine!!!

Chapter 1

Summer after first year, Cokeworth.

“Lily, Petunia, please come into the living room for a moment”, Mrs. Evans called up the stairs. Both girls came down from their rooms not long after, curious as to why their mother was calling them. “I just received a phone call from your aunt Susan. She has invited the two of you to come and stay with her for a few weeks. What do you think girls?”

Lily was delighted. Her aunt Susan owned a lovely farm in the Lake District, where she had a flock of Herdwick sheep. Lily always enjoyed going there. “Do we have to?” came the whining voice of Petunia. She didn’t like her aunt Susan, the woman never put up with her attitude, and Petunia really disliked the sheep and dogs that were part of the farm. Mrs. Evan sighed. “No Petunia, you do not have to go if you really do not want to, but it’s very rude as you haven’t seen your aunt in nearly two years now.” Petunia scowled. “I agreed to spend time with some of my friends. Besides I don’t want to get stuck in the fields with those sheep of hers. They smell. I want to go shopping, and go on a trip to the seaside. Yvonne promised me I could come with her when she goes next week.”

Now it Mrs. Evans turn to frown. “I do not like you accepting invitations without informing either your father or me first. But if you are really so against going, you can stay here.  Will you go, Lily?”

Lily nodded, pleased about the unexpected invitation. Sure, it bothered her a bit that Petunia wouldn’t come too, but perhaps… She had a marvelous idea. “Mum, could I ask Severus to come with me? His family never goes on a holiday, and I’m sure he would really like it.” She could see her mother hesitating. Mrs. Evans liked Severus Snape well enough, and his mother Eileen was not too bad either, but his father on the other hand... She couldn’t stand the man. Both Mr. and Mrs. Evans had hinted to Eileen that they would help her if she decided to leave the man, but Eileen wouldn’t hear of it. “We’re married in good and bad times”, she’d reply. “I’m sure the good times will come again.” Mr. and Mrs. Evans didn’t think it likely, but decided to just help Severus when needed. “I’m not sure Lily. I would have to ask your aunt if she’d mind having a boy coming over, and we can’t be sure Severus is allowed by his parents.” Seeing Lily’s face turn sad, she quickly added “but I will call your aunt right now and see what she has to say, dear.” Lily smiled and waited in the living room, Petunia huffed and stalked upstairs again, to do whatever it was she was doing there. Lily suspected her of reading fashion magazines.

It didn’t take Mrs. Evans long to complete the phone call. “Lily, you can go over later today with your father and invite Severus along for the trip. Aunt Susan was disappointed that Petunia will not come, but she is very happy to see you bring along a friend. I have told her your father will bring you in two days’ time, so you’d better start packing some of your things and cleaning up your room.” Lily bounced over towards her mother and hugged her fiercely. “Thank you, mum. I will start straight away!” She bounded up the stairs, and not long after that her mother could hear her rummaging around.

Later that day.

“Dad, do you think we can persuade his parents to let him come?” Lily asked. Mr. Evans looked down on her. “I think we can, and otherwise, we’ll just take him, won’t we?” he grinned at her. It was their own little joke; going back to the days that Lily had enjoyed her father reading her a pirate bed time story. She gripped his hand and squeezed gently. Even though she had returned from Hogwarts just last week, she rather looked forward to visiting her aunt, together with Severus. She could show him around the farm, and they could go swimming in the lake or becks that were close by. By now, they had arrived outside the slightly rundown house that was on Spinner’s End. Her father stepped forward and knocked on the door. From inside a voice could be heard shouting “Get the door, you lazy sod!” Lily pinched her lips together, and Mr. Evans frowned. It seemed Severus’ father was home.

The door was opened by Severus himself. He was scowling slightly, until he caught sight of both Lily and her father. “Lily! Mr. Evans, ehm what are you doing here?” he asked. “My aunt Susan has invited us over for a visit this summer. And I was wondering if you wanted to come too?” Lily asked excited, but also slightly nervous. What if Severus didn’t want to come? Right now however, he just looked very surprised.

“Who is it Severus?” a soft feminine voice asked from the hallway. “It’s Lily and Mr. Evans, mum.” Severus answered. The door was opened wider and Eileen appeared from behind. She smiled slightly at the two visitors. “Hello there, what brings you two here?” she asked. Before either of them could reply Severus did so for them. “They’re inviting me for a visit to their aunt.” Only those that knew him well enough could hear the slight disbelief coming through in his voice. Eileen smiled wider, before looking over her shoulder into the living room. “That’s very kind of you. Where does your aunt live, and for how long would the visit last?” she asked quickly. Mr. Evans replied “Susan lives near Windermere, in the Lake District. I would be bringing these two there in two days’ time. They can stay for two and a half weeks, before I pick them up again.”

Eileen wrung her hands slightly. “Two and a half weeks might be a bit long” she started to say, but was interrupted by Mr. Snape coming up behind her.

“So, you’d be willing to take the damn little bastard, huh?” he said. It was obvious he’d been drinking. Mr. Evans subtly positioned himself in front of Lily. Perhaps it was a bad idea to bring her along, but she had been so excited about this that he let her come.

“Yes Mr. Snape, we would be willing to take Severus along. He is Lily’s best friend after all, and they will be well looked after by Aunt Susan.”

Mr. Snape just grunted. He didn’t seem to care if Severus was looked after properly, as long as he was away from the house, that stupid sulking boy with his freaky powers. “Go ahead and take him then. In fact, you can take him tomorrow already; get him out of my hair.” With that, he turned around and walked back into the living room.

Eileen and Severus both looked surprised. Then his mother smiled again and agreed. “I will send him over tomorrow with his stuff. I’m sure you will have a lovely time at the Lakes.” Mr. Evans agreed, and both he and Lily walked home again in silence.

Two days later.

Lily and Severus had their bags packed for the holiday. After some debate, they had decided to bring their Hogwarts homework with them; after all they had to finish it sometime.  By now it was time to get into the car and make the few hours journey to Troutbeck, which was the small village near Windermere, where Aunt Susan lived. Mr. Evans would stay the night, so he could catch up with his late brother’s wife, and he would drive back the next day.

Petunia had gone to visit a friend, so she wasn’t there to wave them off, but Severus didn’t care. He never liked Petunia, and she never liked him. Only Lily was sad that her own sister would be so mean. Mrs. Evans was waving from the doorway, and then they were off. Both children didn’t mind sitting quietly in the car, and Severus rather enjoyed looking at the changing landscape.

After a few hours the hills seemed to become higher, and the grounds greener. It seemed they were nearing their destination.

“Look children, we will enter Windermere in about five minutes.” Mr. Evans said.

Curious Severus looked out of the window. He noticed some large houses on the left side of the road, in the characteristic grey stone with a slate roof on top. “Those people must be very rich to be able to afford such houses” he murmured.

Mr. Evans agreed “yes, but quite a few have been turned into hotels or guest houses, so it can be deceptive.”

Severus just nodded.

After several more minutes they came at a small roundabout, where Mr. Evans turned right up a smaller lane. “This leads further into the valley, and on a side road is Troutbeck. Then we just have to take the right exit straight onto the driveway of Evan’s Farm.” Just over a small stone bridge there was a lane on the left leading up the hill. Mr. Evans drove up the road, where Troutbeck was situated nearly at the top. He passed through the small village, which consisted of a post office and a pub. Then he turned right onto a long driveway.

“How big is this farm?” Severus asked.

“I think it’s about 16 acres” said Lily. “Quite a lot of the land is down in the valley, where Trout Beck runs through, but she also owns quite a few fields that are further up the hill. It takes at least five more minutes to reach the actual house.”

Impressed Severus was quiet. And it was indeed around five minutes before he could see the house. It was a two storey building, made of the traditional grey stone with the slate roof. It had a bay window on the left side, with a similar bay window above it on the first floor. The other windows looked out over the fields in front of the house. There was a large stone barn next to the house, and in front was a courtyard where they could park the car. A border collie came running up to them once they opened the door.

“Hey Sam!” Lily shouted, and she bent down to pet the dog. He was very happy to see Lily and Mr. Evans again, and he took his time smelling the newcomer aka. Severus.  Severus wasn’t used to dogs, and he didn’t quite know what to do, but once Sam left him alone, he eagerly followed after Lily. Before they could knock on the front door, a side door was opened and a small delicate looking woman came rushing out.

“There you are! I’ve been expecting you for the last half hour.” She was smiling broadly when she said this, so she couldn’t be too annoyed. “Hello dear” she murmured when giving Mr. Evans a big hug. “And how you have grown my dearest Lily”, smiling she embraced the red headed girl. Severus wasn’t sure what she would say about him, in his old ill-fitting clothes that were obviously second hand, and his slightly greasy hair. “And you are Severus, the very good friend of my lovely niece.” Aunt Susan looked at him, and gave him a gentle hug, which surprised Severus, but he soon relaxed. This woman looked as if she wouldn’t hurt a fly, and she was only a head taller than he was.

“Hello ma’am, thank you for letting me stay here as well.” He said.

“It is absolutely no bother, dear. And please, its aunt Susan, not ma’am. Now come along you three, let’s put your bags away and I will show you your rooms.” She led them into the surprisingly bright house from the side door. They walked through the boot room into the hallway and took a staircase upstairs. She pointed out the bathroom as they went along, mostly for Severus’ benefit. “I’ve had this installed two years ago, as I was getting sick and tired of using an outhouse or the old downstairs bathroom. This is much easier and more comfortable. Now, Lily you can still use the bedroom that you stayed in last time, here on the right. I know you like looking out over the valley. And Severus, this will be your room during your stay. I didn’t know what you would like, so I gave you the room that looks out over the hills and garden at the back of the house.” She opened up a door on the left and led him in. The room was a comfortable double, with a single bed along the wall, a desk and chair, a wardrobe and a large window with the lovely view she just told him about. This room was so much nicer and even bigger than his own bedroom; Severus just knew he was going to enjoy his stay here if for no other reason that this bedroom.

“Thank you, aunt Susan.” He added after a slight hesitation. The bright smile she returned let him know this was the right answer.