Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 12

Harry was enjoying his holiday immensely. Every day there had been something new to discover and explore. The first day he had spent indoors because of the rain that came down, but after Aunt Susan had presented him with his own set of wellies, a sturdy winter coat and an overall that he could put on over his clothes, he had spent nearly every day since then outside. He’d gone feeding the sheep with Mr. Thomas and his sons (having a favorite sheep he named Molly), played with the youngest daughter of the Thomas’s who was about his age, went into Windermere with his aunt to do some shopping, met the locals in Troutbeck when he was allowed to join Mrs. Shaw up the hill to the post office and local shop, baked cookies with Emma and Susan and generally kept himself busy.

This morning when he woke up he felt strange and it took him a while to realize the cause. Today was Christmas Day! Happily he jumped out of bed and opened the curtains to look outside. Imagine his surprise when the world outside was white! It had snowed, in fact, it was still snowing. Harry pressed his face to the window looking at the farm in awe. It looked magical with the white snow clinging to the roofs, and lying down on the fields. He couldn’t wait to go outside, and maybe build a snowman!

He trotted into the bathroom for a quick wash and picked out some of his new clothes. He pulled on his nice warm socks, a woolen sweater Mrs. Thomas had knitted for him and his sturdy trousers. The socks and sweater were made of wool that came from the farm, so Harry always felt he was carrying Aunt Susan close to him.

Harry pulled on his house slippers and walked down the stairs. He had to be careful as they were a bit steep for him still.  Judging from the smells coming from downstairs Aunt Susan must be up already making breakfast. When he walked into the kitchen, he saw that he was right.

“Good morning Aunt Susan. Do you need any help?” he asked her.

“Good morning Harry. I don’t need any help, especially not when we will be eating in the living room. Merry Christmas, dearie.” Aunt Susan gave him a hug.

Harry liked her hugs, they always made him feel safe and very loved. “Merry Christmas Aunt Susan. Why are we eating in the living room? You always say that we should eat at the table.”

Susan laughed. “Well, I can hardly keep you from your presents, now can I?”

He looked at her in amazement. Presents? For him? Having been told over and over again that Santa Clause did not exist, and that the Dursleys wouldn’t buy him anything, he hadn’t expected presents this year either. Clearly he was wrong.

“Come along Harry, let’s take our plates and sit down. I already put down a mug with hot chocolate for you on the side table.”

Harry followed his aunt into the living room, his plate filled with some toast, a lovely and warm bun, scrambled eggs and some jam to the side. Inside the living room a Christmas tree had been placed in the corner next to the fireplace, which was lit right now. Harry had been overjoyed when Aunt Susan had asked him to help her decorate the tree. Even more wonderful had been the moment Mr. Thomas had lifted him up so he could place the star on top of the tree.

Now, on Christmas morning with his breakfast in his hands, the tree seemed even more wonderful than before. Underneath the tree was a small pile of gifts, and Harry was rather eager to see who they were for.

“Now sit up on the couch, and eat some of your toast and scrambled eggs. If you have finished two pieces, you can start opening presents, alright?”

Harry agreed quite readily. He loved eating breakfast with Aunt Susan so it was no hardship to wait a little longer for a present. Aunt Susan however noted that the two pieces of toast as well as the scrambled eggs had never gone down so quickly before.

Harry went to sit next to the pile of gifts, looking questioningly up at his aunt. “Where do I start?” he asked her.

Susan smiled and said “Just take one and read the label. We’ll see whose it is then.”

Harry took out a present wrapped in gold colored paper and read the tag. “It’s for you” he said and handed her the present.

Susan opened the present carefully and found a book that she had wanted for quite some time. The next present was for Harry, and it turned out to be a book as well. The book was about King Arthur and Merlin. And so on it went, one present for Susan, one for Harry. The biggest present Harry received was a LEGO Castle. His eyes lit up when he saw it, and Susan laughed at his face.

“Yes you can build it during the holidays. We’ll put it up in your room when it’s time for you to leave, alright?” Smiling Harry continued handing out the presents. There weren’t many left, a drawing for Susan that Harry had made, and two presents in dark green wrapping paper.

Susan loved the drawing Harry had made for her. It showed Molly the sheep, the house and two figures who were obviously supposed to be Harry and her. Susan was sure she had a frame somewhere in the house, and planned on framing it and putting it up somewhere.

“There is one present left for each of us.” She said. With that she handed Harry one of the packages with the green paper.

Harry watched as she opened her first. It contained a box, and inside the box was a nice bottle with something in it. It didn’t look very nice, Harry admitted, but Susan seemed pleased with it.

Then Harry opened up his own present. It contained a book that looked old. It was called ‘Tales of Beedle the Bard’. Harry wondered what it was about.

“Oh that is a lovely present Harry. I think Severus gave you the copy he lent to your mum when they were young.”

Harry had been told that the fourth guest they had been expecting was unable to come. Harry had been amazed to learn that a man named Severus knew his aunt, had been friends with his mum when they were younger and now teaches at the boarding school they had attended together. Severus was supposed to come and stay a week, but unfortunately a lot of his students had decided to spend their Christmas at the school, so he could not leave either. Harry was sad about this, as he hoped the man could tell him a lot of stories about his mum, stories Aunt Susan didn’t know about. On the other hand, he now had a book that his mum had also read! Harry decided he’d make a nice drawing for Severus too, and Aunt Susan could then send it to the man.

After cleaning up both breakfast and all the wrapping paper, Harry was slightly torn about either playing inside and build his castle, or going outside and making a snowman. The decision was taken out of his hands, when Peter and Emma arrived and Peter jut put him outside.

“I can’t believe you still haven’t started a snowman. So let’s get to it.” He said, and the both of them got started.

Somehow the snowman turned into a snow family, and a snowball fight, but that was okay too. Finally Harry was tired, and getting a bit cold, so luckily Emma called them in for hot drinks. They settled in the living room again, where Harry got his second mug of hot chocolate, but this time they also contained marshmallows. The day before he had helped Emma bake cookies, and they each got one to nibble on. There would be no lunch, as Christmas Dinner was a big meal and would start a little earlier than normal.

After warming up Harry started on his castle, in a corner of the living room where it wouldn’t be in the way. His feet were close to the fire, and as he was carefully making his way through the instructions the castle took shape before him. It was only half finished when he was called to freshen up for dinner. Harry was sure that tomorrow, he could finish the castle.

He quickly went upstairs for a wash and changed into the slightly fancier sweater and trousers he’d gotten. Then he went to the dining room. Emma had helped set the table and there was a nice red tablecloth on it, candles in the middle and plates set out for the four of them. Harry moved to his own place and watched as the soup was brought in. It was a hearty vegetable soup, as Aunt Susan didn’t keep with those fancy Christmas dinners that would still leave you hungry. After the soup followed the traditional roast, with vegetables, mashed potatoes and gravy sauce. Emma had put a little cranberry sauce on his plate, but Harry didn’t really like it. To finish the dinner they each got a piece of Christmas pudding.

Filled to the burst, Harry enjoyed sitting on the couch afterwards, leaning against Aunt Susan. She was softly talking with Emma and Peter, aware that Harry wouldn’t stay up much longer. When she realized he was about to nod of on the couch, she woke him up enough so he could say goodnight to everybody, and get himself upstairs. She tucked him in, and leaving the door slightly ajar, she went back downstairs.  

It was only half an hour later that a knock sounded at the front door. Surprised the trio looked at each other, not expecting anyone at this time of day. Peter went to the door and opened it a little. When he saw who was on the other side, he opened the door wide and grinned. “Come on in Severus. We certainly didn’t expect to see you here.”

Severus shook the snow of his cloak and stepped inside. “I didn’t think I could get away either, but luckily my students all fell asleep quickly, and I thought I should at least visit for a little while.”

Susan came up to give him a hug. “Thank you Severus, for the potion. It really helps with the stiffness I am experiencing in this cold weather.  And also, thank you for the present you gave Harry. He really likes it.”

Severus nearly blushed. “It was nothing, and the potion was no trouble either.”

He was let further into the living room where he spotted the half-finished castle in the corner. “Another present, I presume? Unless of course Peter here has regressed in age and feels the need to build his own castle?” he said smirking.

Peter huffed. “At least I had fun making a snow family this morning. Harry was very enthusiastic about playing in the snow.”

“Yes, I spotted those. Nearly apparated on top of one to be precise.”

Now it was both Emma and Susan who snorted with laughter. They could imagine it now. Severus all stern looking, appearing full of snow in front of the house with possibly a carrot for a nose.

“Glad I am of some use to you ladies.” The man said. Then he sat down on the couch, and was given a glass of mulled wine.

“So how are things going with Harry here?” he asked.

Susan started talking about Harry’s joy in staying at the farm, and how he had named one of the ewes Molly (Severus snorted, especially when he realized she was the most dominating, awful ewe on the entire farm). “Yes well, she seems to like Harry for some reason and hasn’t head butted him even once, while she does it all the time to everyone else.”

However, the mood turned more dark when Susan told Severus about what happened in the summer, how Petunia told awful lies to Harry and her own husband, and how she had thrown away the clothes they had given Harry.

“I take it the clothes and presents he gets now, won’t be returning to Surrey then?” Severus asked, his face grim.

Susan confirmed. They would let him take the winter coat, as next winter he probably wouldn’t fit it anyway, but most if not all other things would stay on the farm.

“Can I see him for a moment?” Severus surprised himself as well when he asked this.

Quietly they walked up the stairs and opened the door to Harry’s room even further. Underneath the blankets was a little boy curled up, the most that was visible was his black hair that stuck up every which way.

“He sure has the Potter hair” Severus whispered. Susan nodded. “But the Evans’ eyes.” She replied.

After all, her own husband had green eyes, and Lily had had them as well. Severus silently conceded the point.

“Let’s get downstairs again, before we wake him up. You can tell us what your students have been up to this year.”

Together they went downstairs where Severus managed to entertain the others with some of his students exploits. When it was nearing midnight however, he stood up to leave. He had to get up early again the next day after all.

“Wait Severus, I nearly forgot.” Susan said, as she walked over to her desk. On top of it was a drawing.

“Harry wanted to thank you for the present, and he drew this today. I was going to send it by mail, but I might as well give it to you now.”

Touched, but slightly unsure how to respond Severus took the drawing, before making his way outside and leaving for Hogwarts.

Once in his own quarters, he opened the drawing and laughed. On it was Molly the sheep, Harry and Susan and what he guessed was supposed to be him. Harry didn’t know what he looked like, and had apparently used a mirror because in the drawing Severus’ hair stuck up all over the place, and it seemed he was now wearing glasses. Grinning slightly despite himself, Severus took the drawing and put it into a photo album he had. Then he went to sleep.