Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The epilogue! I kept pretty close to Canon with this one, I think. Hope you don't find some of it too cheesy. Had to finish the story now, as I am starting a Masters in Children's Literature as of today (iek!) and I won't exactly have time to write, plus the summer fic fest ends today, right?
Chapter 16

When Harry woke up he didn’t immediately realize where he was. It took him a moment to recognize the Gryffindor dorm he had stayed in for several years. Then it all came rushing back to him, the flight on the dragon, the fight on Hogwarts’ grounds, the death of so many people, and the defeat of Voldemort. He closed his eyes in pain when he recalled the deaths of Remus, Tonks, Fred and especially Severus.

Over the years they had grown close. Severus had told him how he would be treated at Hogwarts, and what Severus was expected to do if Voldemort ever returned. He still didn’t know how they had managed to fool everyone in Hogwarts on their real relationship. The times that he served so called ‘detentions’ only to spend the day on the Evans Farm to meet the requirements of staying for a minimum of four weeks each year.

He recalled how Severus had helped him shear his first sheep (even though the man hardly knew what to do himself) and the fact that the sheep had looked rather funny, until the professional shearer took pity on the beast and did a better job himself. Harry smiled slightly in remembrance. Then his eyes opened wide. Had they actually recovered the body of Severus out of the Shack, or was it still there? He didn’t know and yesterday he had been too tired to think about it. It wasn’t the end he wanted for Severus, in fact, he had been looking forward to spending some more time on the farm with the man, even after he turned eighteen.

“Kreacher” he said out loud.

With a pop Kreacher appeared. He looked a lot cleaner than he did last night. “Master called?”

“Yes Kreacher. Can you tell me if Severus’ body has been taken anywhere or is it still in the Shrieking Shack?”

“Snape’s body is in a room in the dungeons Master. Kreacher helped put him there. He is safe from the mean people.”

Harry frowned. “What are you talking about, what mean people?”

Kreacher twisted his hands. “People who wants to hurt dead bodies Master. They is looking for bodies with the Mark and then hurt the bodies.”

Harry bit his lip. He could understand people being angry at the Death Eaters, but to take out that anger on dead bodies seemed a stupid and also immoral thing to do. They were dead; it’s not as if they were going out to kill more people.

“Thank you for telling me Kreacher. I will go and see to him later. Is there any chance of some cleaner clothes in the mean time?” His own looked rather awful with blood, gashes and tears in them.

“Yes Master. I has taken your clothes and washed them. They is all clean in your bags sir.”

Harry smiled, it seemed that Kreacher was going to be a very valuable ally to have. Not that he didn’t prove himself the day before in the battle.

“Thank you Kreacher. Why not go and get back to what you were doing.”

With a pop Kreacher had gone. Harry took some of his clothes and decided to check out the showers and see if they were serviceable. As it turns out, they were and he enjoyed a lovely warm shower, got dressed in his clean clothes and decided to brave other people to get some sort of breakfast.

As he was walking down the castle he saw that there was quite a bit of damage done to the interior. Paintings had been damaged or broken, there were scorch marks and stones lying on the floor, suits of armor had chunks missing or looked as if they had taken a few hard hits. Still, the magic in the air seemed cleaner to him, not as oppressive as it had been yesterday.

Coming down to the Entrance Hall Harry braced himself for what he would have to face. He could hear many voices coming from the Great Hall and he wasn’t entirely sure he wanted to enter. The choice was taken from him however by someone coming up behind.

“Harry! I’m glad to see you’re awake. Ron thought we should let you sleep longer, because you definitely looked as if you needed it, but now you can join us for breakfast.” Hermione said.

She too had changed into cleaner clothes and although she looked somewhat sad, she smiled at him. Harry smiled back. They had been through so much this last year, and she had stuck by him the entire time, even getting tortured for her efforts. She could have run to Australia with her parents, and instead she had joined him. Without her he wouldn’t have come so far.

“Hermione you’re looking better as well. I’m not the only one in need of rest you know.” A plan slowly started to form in his head.

The two linked arms and walked into the Great Hall together. As soon as people noticed them, or more specifically, Harry they went quiet. Harry started to feel uncomfortable. This was exactly what he had wanted to avoid. Just when he wanted to turn tail and run the people started to clap.

Flitwick guided him over to the front of the Hall, and it seemed he would have to make some sort of speech. He hated giving speeches. As soon as he was in position and turned around to face the Hall it went quiet.

“Ehm, I didn’t expect this when I went to look for some breakfast.” He started. People sniggered and somewhere in the crowd he heard “I bet he didn’t”

“I just want to thank all the people who helped during the last year to fight against Voldemort and his Death Eaters. It had been a hard year, with so many of us losing someone or something close to us, whether it was your wand, or a family member, or a good friend.” He sighed, this was really hard.

“What nobody here knew is that I had help from the early age of seven. The man who helped me is someone many of you will despise right now. I hope to change that image, because he doesn’t deserve it. He didn’t deserve to die, just like many others we knew didn’t deserve to die.  I am talking about Severus Snape.”

Gasps and shouts filled the Great Hall, making it hard for Harry to continue, until McGonagell cast a spell to quiet everyone.

“Thank you Professor.” She gave him a small nod, looking intently at him.

“Everyone knows I grew up with my aunt and uncle when my parents died. As it turns out, I also had a great aunt. One summer both my mother and Severus stayed with her for a few weeks. This was after their first year at Hogwarts. My great aunt found out about magic, and loved it. She lost touch with Severus for a while, but regained it when my grandparents died and he attended the funeral. Eventually when I was nearly six years old I met her for the first time. This was caused by an enquiry Severus had made in one of his letters. I loved spending time with my aunt Susan. Unfortunately she died a few weeks before I was to turn seven. She had appointed three people as trustees for my inheritance, and Severus was one of them. This is why I spent a total of four weeks each year with him. I know for certain that not even Albus Dumbledore knew about it!

Severus was the one who taught me about magic, about Hogwarts and why he would need to act mean towards me. Dumbledore had always suspected Voldemort not to be truly gone and wanted Severus to be ready to spy again.”

Harry had to pause there, as most of the Great Hall reacted in shock at this news. Snape was a spy and Dumbledore had known?

Harry raised his voice slightly “Yes, he was a spy, and he was a damn good one because Voldemort only killed him believing it necessary for his victory. If only we had had the anti-venom with us then he would still be alive today. I know he was Headmaster here this year, and that it wasn’t the best time, but looking back on it, how often did he intervene between you and the Carrows?”

Several students seemed to be thinking about this, and it was Ginny who reacted first “If he could get away with it, he would take over the detentions, or assign us detention with someone else. I had thought it a bit strange, but figured he just didn’t like not giving out detention anymore.”

Harry laughed out loud at this. “Yes, you would think so, wouldn’t you.”

“Now please, I want to give him a decent burial, near where my aunt is buried, and I ask you to let me do this without much trouble. There are Death Eaters around who deserve your scorn and anger, but he isn’t one of them. Thank you for your time and attention.”

With that he quickly went and sat down at a table. Hermione and Ron came to sit next to him in support. He knew they would want to know more, but he really didn’t feel like talking about it right now.

The rest of the day was spent helping repair Hogwarts and arranging for families to come pick up their children, or their deceased. Andromeda Tonks appeared with little Teddy. She broke down upon seeing her daughter’s body, and Harry quickly took hold of Teddy, who seemed to like him, as his hair suddenly turned into a black untidy mess. Once Andromeda had collected herself slightly Harry had taken her apart and invited her to come stay for a while. He told her he had a nice house out in the countryside, not anywhere near other magic users and perhaps it would be good for her and Teddy? She agreed nearly straight away and after promising to owl she left again.

Most of the deceased where taken away by their families to be buried, including Fred Weasley. George looked heartbroken, and Harry hoped he would be okay eventually. He wasn’t too sure on what else he could do there, as Hermione had also left with the Weasleys.

He eventually got hold of some parchment and a quill and wrote a letter to Peter and Emma. They had known he had been on the run, and he even managed to update them somewhat by muggle post, even if the message sometimes just said ‘Still alive’. He would have to let them know the battle had been won, but that Severus had died. He hoped they could talk to the minister at Troutbeck parish, so Severus could be buried there. The man had once told him that was where he wanted to be in the end. He would also tell them he would probably be at the farm in a few days’ time, as he wanted to clean up first at Hogwarts and attend the funeral for Remus, Tonks and Fred.

Having written the letter it was now a matter of sending it of by owl. Harry still missed Hedwig but he would see about getting a new owl later this summer. For now he would use a school owl. Having sent the message off he finally went into the room Severus had been placed.

He frowned at seeing the man still looking exactly like the day before. Obviously a preserving spell had been cast over the body, but the blood was still there and Harry didn’t like it one bit. So calling Kreacher, he asked for some water to be sent and he set about cleaning Severus up himself. He told the man all about what had happened during the last year, how much he missed his time with Severus and had been looking forward to going back to the farm with him. He told Severus about the moment Ron left, and when he came back. Harry poured his heart out, and in the end Severus’ body looked very presentable.

Kreacher had anticipated Harry’s request for he brought clean robes that could be spelled on the man’s body. Now he really looked fine, if not for the fact that he wasn’t alive anymore. Placing an alarm spell on the door Harry left to go to sleep.

The next few days passed by in helping clean up the castle and attending several funerals. Remus and Tonks had been buried next to her father and Andromeda had asked him when she would have to be ready to leave for a little while. He told her he would pick her up in a few days.

Fred’s funeral took place on a plot of land behind the Burrow. George was held up by his friend Lee and Angelina, which seemed to do him some good. Harry knew however that it would probably be some time before George could really smile again. Ron had appreciated Harry being there and invited him to come and stay, but he politely declined, saying he had his own place and would contact them in a few days. Then he went back to Hogwarts and collected the body of Severus. He went back to the Evans Farm.

 

Peter, Emma and little Suzanna were waiting for him. They had contacted the local funeral home and arranged for a coffin to be brought to the house. Harry placed Severus in it very carefully. Then he went and hugged Peter and Emma hard. Emma shook with silent tears. “I’ve been so worried about the both of you this last year. And every time something came on the news that we were sure was caused by magic, we got even more worried.  I am glad to see you are okay and that you managed to send us notes from time to time, but it’s been very hard.”

Harry had to swallow back a few tears as well. “It was very hard, and very dangerous, but I am glad to be back here. I just wish Severus could have returned alive as well.”

They pulled back when Suzanna drew his attention. “Uncle Harry, I want to have a hug now.” She said.

Suzanna was nearly ten years old and saw Harry as her own uncle. She was named after Suzan Evans, and seemed to like the idea very much. Harry gave her a big hug too.

“The other families will be here this evening as well Harry. They were very glad to hear you were okay, but sad to hear Severus had died. So they will keep vigil too.” Peter said.

Tomorrow Severus would be buried in the local cemetery. Peter and Emma had arranged things with the minister and had sent out the message to the locals, who had all really liked Severus. Harry had left instructions with Kreacher to give several of the teachers and Order members the letter with the location and time of the funeral. He would see tomorrow how many would actually show up.

“Thank you” he just said, and that seemed to be enough.

That evening the farm became rather busy with all the families crowded into the living room and kitchen for the vigil. Every one of them told a story about Severus, or just a story that seemed to fit the mood. Harry felt it was funny, that he could actually enjoy this moment.

He nodded of around three o’clock and they let him sleep, he looked as if he needed it.

The entire group left the farm at the same time for the funeral. Most of the village had also shown up at the church, which pleased Harry. The real surprise came when he saw who else had shown up. All the Hogwarts professors where there, as well as the remaining Order members, the Weasleys and Hermione. He gave them a small smile and was also very pleased to see they had dressed (more or less) as Muggles. Harry, Emma, Peter and Suzanna were at the front of the crowd.

The service was very nice and reflected well on Severus as a person. Harry felt it fit the man. When they went outside he was very pleased to find Severus was placed in a grave next to Suzan. He was sure the man would’ve liked this (even though he would pretend not to). Once all the Muggles that didn’t know about magic had left, the Professors and Order members gathered round to cast the spells that would give Severus the magical burial, and which would include the new tombstone as well. It turned out to be a light grey stone, with white letters carved into it. It simply read

‘Severus Snape
may you be loved
forever and always’

A white Lily had been carved out in the stone as well. Harry touched it lightly. “Fitting.” He said.

Of course most people stayed for a bit and Harry showed them the farm they had managed to keep secret. Hermione was very impressed and gave him a knowing look. Figures she would know he would go and live there permanently within seconds of seeing the property.

It felt strange to be alone on the farm once everyone had left. Harry wasn’t entirely sure what to do with the quiet and the time he now had for himself.

“Kreacher” he called out. Kreacher appeared with a pop and looked curiously around.

“How do you feel to making this farm your new permanent home, Kreacher?”

Then something happened Harry wasn’t sure was actually real.

“Master wants Kreacher to stay here on the farm? Kreacher used to live on a farm, with sheeps and woollies around when Kreacher was a little Elfling. Before Masters died and Kreacher served the Great and Noble House of Black. Kreacher loves farms!”

With that the elf actually reached out and hugged Harry’s knees. Surprised Harry could do no more than pat his shoulders. “Oh no Master, Kreacher is sorry, I shall not hug you again.”

Harry took gentle hold of Kreacher’s shoulders. “No Kreacher, if you are this happy about it, you’re allowed to give me a hug. It just surprised me, that’s all. I thought you would prefer to stay and clean up Grimmauld Place.”

Kreacher shook his head “No, no, this much better. I will stay here and clean Grimmauld Place when you want me too Master.”

Shaking his head slightly in exasperation Harry decided he would never understand House Elves. “You can make your own room upstairs. There is a small bedroom in the attic, and I think it would be perfect for you Kreacher. It has a nice view over the farm as well.”

He was sure Kreacher would burst out in tears, but luckily he didn’t. “Tomorrow I would like you to help clean up the guest rooms. It’s time I took the master bedroom, and Andromeda and Teddy will be staying with us for a while, so they need the guestrooms. Anything that belongs to Severus you can put in the master bedroom, or in the downstairs study. I will sort it all out later.”

Harry knew that the sorting out would be a difficult task to do, but he’d rather not have Andromeda or Teddy stay in a room that was still full with Severus’ personal belongings.

That night, before he went to sleep, Harry had a lovely day dream. In it he could see himself a bit older than he was now, with his wife and was that two? No three children. Two boys and a girl. They were living together on the farm and the kids loved playing in the fields. Sometimes they were joined by a boy who could change his hair or face. From time to time they would go down to the cemetery and leave flowers on two graves. The kids would know exactly who it was they owed their peace too.

With this lovely dream of the future in mind, Harry fell asleep. He would face the future one day at a time.  

The End.