Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
No meeting between Susan and little Harry just yet, but he will be there soon. Next chapter in fact.
Chapter 3

To say Aunt Susan was angry would be an understatement. In fact, she was extremely angry. It had been bad enough to not learn about Lily and James’ death until six months after it had happened, but to find out that all this time the young boy she considered her grandson, had been living with that awful niece of hers was just unbelievable. She paced angrily around her living room, not quite knowing what to do next. Then she stumbled and only just managed to catch herself on the table. “Better sit down Susan” she said to herself “you’re not getting any younger.” Then she snorted softly. Great, now she was talking to herself. Before you know it old age really caught up with her. Even though she was still very angry, she decided it would be better for her health to just sit down for now.

Susan thought back to four years ago. She had known Lily and James had gone into hiding, as they had told her so themselves. She also knew that it involved some complicated spell work she would never understand. The one thing she did know was that she could not keep in touch with her niece and the young boy that she considered to be her grandson. And she missed them very, very much. Then, sometime in April she got a letter from Severus. In it he stated that he was sorry for the loss he caused her, and for the damage he’d done. Of course, she had no idea at first what he was talking about. But when Susan read the rest of the letter –or perhaps confession was a better word- she had turned pale and had nearly fainted. Severus told her how he had overheard a prophecy (she had snorted in contempt at this bit) and told that creepy dark wizard Voldemort (really what sort of name was that anyway?) about it. Then Severus wrote how he eventually realized this prophecy could potentially harm Lily –she noticed he didn’t write much about James or Harry- and how he had gone to Dumbledore who asked him to spy. Really, spy! As if Severus shouldn’t have gotten the hell away from that dark wizard, the other old wizard made him go back and spy. If she ever saw that Dumbledore man, she would have a thing or two to say to him.


Susan forced her wandering mind back to the letter that had come to her. Severus then told her how he was sorry that it was partially his fault Lily and James had died. This had really shocked her. She hadn’t known about this. When had this happened? She had quickly scribbled back a reply asking for when and where the funeral was going to be, and could Severus please pick her up if it was very far away.
The reply Severus had sent her took some time to come. In fact, it was almost two weeks later before she heard anything from him again. In his letter he explained that he was now a teacher at Hogwarts and hadn’t been able to redirect his mail yet. He then apologized profusely stating that he thought she already knew about it, as Lily and James had been buried six months before. Susan had been so angry at the wizarding world for forgetting to inform one of the last living members of Lily’s own family and for Severus’ role in their deaths that she hadn’t written anything to Severus in months, no years. The shock hadn’t been too good for her health either, as the doctor told her she was having some heart problems. Enough of a problem to relax slightly with all the work on her farm, and perhaps come in for a checkup a bit more often. Grudgingly she had obliged.

Over the years she had hired some decent families to work for her on the farm. They managed all the sheep and land, whilst she still owned it. She had changed her will after realizing Lily had died. She had to change it once before after Petunia had made it clear she didn’t really like sheep or the farm. Now Harry was the sole benefactor of the farm. She had always figured that little Harry was growing up nicely with his godfather, this Sirius Black that she hadn’t met. She knew that this had been Lily and James’ plan, as she was already getting on in years. According to Lily, Harry’s godmother Alice would keep an eye on them both. But now Susan had received another letter –again sent by Severus- that had made her realize little Harry was not growing up with his godfather or mother at all! In fact, he had been staying at her niece’s house. She shuddered slightly. Goodness knows what Petunia did with a magical child. Petunia had cut of contact with Lily because of magic after the death of their parents, something Susan still could not comprehend. How could she just cut of her own family? Then again, she hadn’t contacted Susan either in years. And it wasn’t as if Susan was magical.  

Severus had bashfully enquired in his letter if she would ever forgive him, and how was she handling life with a young boy. Susan realized that she had better forgive Severus if she wanted to keep up to date of the happenings in the wizarding world, and that really, leaving the young man to suffer for several years was quite enough. But the fact that he enquired after Harry in his own roundabout way made her realize Severus thought she was looking after the child. After having come to this conclusion, she had quickly deduced that Harry lived with Petunia. If he had been left in the wizarding world, Severus would have known about it after all. Susan finally decided on the action she wanted to take. She called her solicitor, Mr. Johnson. His father had been the Evans’ solicitor for years before finally retiring two years ago. His son had taken over, and was doing a wonderful job. In fact, he and his father were good friends of hers.

“Mr. Johnson speaking. How may I help you?” She sighed in relief; good he was at his work. “Peter, it’s me, Susan. I need your help. Can you come over to the farm shortly?” Peter knew something serious was up if she asked him to come to the farm on such short notice, and replied “Of course. I don’t have any appointments this afternoon, so I will come in about thirty minutes.” “Good” she said, and uncharacteristically she hung up. As quickly as she could she climbed the stairs and started packing a small bag. “Better get me some extra clothing, although I’m not sure how long I can stay there. Hmm, my purse and my medication too.” Mumbling to herself, Susan was finished in no time at all. Luckily for her, it turns out Peter Johnson was quick too, for as she was climbing down the stairs she heard him enter the kitchen. “Susan! I’m here. Where are you?” Just as she was about to call him, he entered the living room and spotted her at the bottom of the stairs. He took in the small bag she carried, and the slightly pale look on her face.

“Ok, tell me what’s going on. But you’d better do it sitting down in your favorite chair whilst I get you a cuppa.” Smiling slightly she did as he suggested. “It’s about little Harry” she stated bluntly. “Harry? The son of Lily?” She nodded. “I just found out he is not living with his godfather or -mother, but most likely with my niece, Petunia Dursley. And I can’t help but worry as to the life he lives there.” Peter frowned. “Correct me if I’m wrong, but if he lives there, why hasn’t she ever told you this, or called you or something?” Susan frowned. “I don’t know. For some reason she has cut not only Lily but also myself out of her life. I do know that Lily and James never planned for their little boy to go to Petunia. So how he ended up there I do not know. I want to go there as soon as possible and visit him. If I call ahead Petunia will just leave or make up some sort of excuse not to see me, but if I show up at the start of the weekend, there isn’t much she can cover up, now is there?”

Peter smirked slightly. “Sometimes you scare me, my dear lady Susan. But I do think it’s a good idea. And I’m assuming that you need someone to get you to wherever it is she lives?” Susan had the good grace to blush slightly. “You know I can’t really travel by train, nor can I drive such long distances.” Peter coughed and mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like “no driving license anyway” but Susan decided to ignore this remark. “So yes, I would be very pleased if you could drive me to Surrey. I have managed to keep up to date with Petunia’s address, so I know where she lives. Though goodness knows why she had to move so far south. It’s as if she even wants to forget she is from more up north.” Peter at least knew when to keep quiet. “Well, if you let me go home and pack a small bag. Hmm, perhaps my wife would like to come along too. A short unexpected trip south would probably please her, especially if I explain what the cause if, and promise to go shopping with her.” He grinned. “Come along then, and let’s go.”

Several hours later in Surrey

“Do you think it’s too late to drop by unannounced Peter?” Susan asked. Even though she wanted to surprise Petunia (and not in the friendly way) she felt that coming by after nine o’clock in the evening may be pushing her luck. “Frankly I don’t see the difference in coming by now or incredibly early tomorrow. You just go over there and see that niece of yours. Tell her you will be back tomorrow to spend the day with young Harry, and in the meantime we will park the car here and call around to see if they have any rooms left.” Peter’s wife nodded and smiled. “I’m sure you’ll manage Susan. And if not, just yell and we’ll be there in a minute.” Susan laughed. “It’s almost as if I’m planning some grand robbery instead of a visit to a young boy.” Then she got out of the car and walked up the path to number four Privet Drive. She could hear the car moving over slightly.

When she rang the doorbell it sounded very loud to her, but that was probably because the rest of the street seemed to be deserted. It took some time before the door was opened, and Susan was just considering ringing the bell a second time, when Petunia herself opened the door. “Hello Petunia. Nice to see you again, considering it has been a few years. Tell me, are you looking after young Harry?” Susan decided to come straight to the point. Petunia at first just looked at her gaping stupidly. Then she seemed to come to her senses. “What are you doing here? And why are you asking after that boy.” She spat the word boy so hard, Susan was immediately suspicious. “I recently found out that Harry was not staying with either his godfather or -mother as Lily and James had planned. Then I realized you must be the one taking care of him. And I want to see him.” Petunia drew herself up. “Oh, really, you come all the way to see her son, but mine doesn’t interest you in the slightest does he?” Susan frowned. “Seeing as how you cut of contact with me before he was even born I do not know how interested I would be in seeing your son. If he behaves just like his father, than no. If he behaves more like your own parents, than yes I would like to see him.”

Petunia kept quiet and skirted the issue. It was clear to Susan however that her son was most likely behaving like his father and mother combined. “You cannot see the boy right now. He is asleep and will be impossible to handle if I wake him up now.” “That’s fine. I will come back tomorrow morning around half past nine to pick him up. I will spend the day with him and return him after tea. Have a good evening Petunia.” And then she turned around and walked to the car. She heard the door close behind her, it wasn’t a slam, but it was close. She smiled, somethings never changed.