Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Two chapters in one day: Hooray! Many of you are wondering when Severus is returning to the story and I can safely say he will make an appearance in the next chapter! (finally).
Chapter 8

Harry had been delighted by the visit from his unexpected aunt Susan and he was still on a high several days later when he came back from school. He had carefully worn the new clothing he’d received and didn’t feel like a sloppy person in class. At the Dursleys he was careful not to wear his new clothes as he knew his aunt didn’t like them. He was sure she wouldn’t mind an excuse to get rid of them.

When he stepped foot into the house, he quickly realized his aunt was both happy and upset, a combination that never boded well for him. Silently he put his bag in the cupboard and walked into the kitchen intent on getting some water.

“Boy, get over here.” His aunt said from the living room. Harry quickly obeyed.

“I have received a phone call from that man that was with you this weekend. Peter or something.” Petunia nearly sneered, and Harry wondered why she pretended not to know Peter’s name. His stomach was clenched tight not really wanting to hear what Peter had to say.

“It seems Susan can’t keep her promise after all. I knew she would tire of you boy. Of course she doesn’t want you to come over, so much trouble as you always bring.”

Harry’s eyes widened. He couldn’t come to the farm? Not go to his nice aunt Susan? That was terrible!

“I don’t know why they try to make it such a pitiful story. He talked about how she had a stroke and is in hospital. I know he is lying. It’s her way of taking revenge, wanting for me to travel all the way up there to go to the hospital and taking you along. I told that man I would not do it, and I will most certainly not go through all this trouble just so she can laugh about it!”

Harry felt like crying, either out of happiness or sadness he wasn’t sure. It sounded as if there really was something wrong with aunt Susan, but aunt Petunia would never let him go visit her, that was for sure.

“Stop looking like that you miserable boy. Now what are we going to do next month. After all I have just booked our holiday to Majorca, and you are not invited. I will not cancel my hard earned holiday for a brat like you. Typical of Susan to not think of anybody else but herself.  You had better hope Mrs. Figg can put up with you, or else you might have to stay in the cupboard for all I care!”

Harry just looked at the ground, hoping that the last option wouldn’t happen. He didn’t want to stay in the cupboard on his birthday.

“Hmm, as you are not seeing that woman again I think we can finally get rid of those stupid clothes that they gave you. Boy, get them out of your cupboard and take off the clothes you’re wearing.”

Harry’s eyes widened in panic, she was going to take his nice new clothes. The ones that fit so nicely and that Emma had picked out for him. The clothes he had been so careful and proud of! But he knew protesting wouldn’t work, so sadly Harry went into his cupboard to change into Dudley’s cast offs and take the new sets of clothes to his aunt. When he handed them over she grimaced and dumped them in the bin. Then she threw what was left of yesterday’s pasta all over it, so that his nice looking clothes had pasta sauce all over them.

“Get in your cupboard and don’t get out until Vernon gets home.” Petunia told him.

Harry was glad, as she wouldn’t be around to see the tears in his eyes that started to fall down.

When Vernon came home that evening he was angry, although he too was pretty sure Susan wouldn’t make up a story just to get revenge on Petunia. He was however wise enough not to point this out to Petunia. Luckily Mrs. Figg was able to take Harry for the week they would be going to Majorca, so they could still enjoy their holiday. And that was all Vernon cared about.