Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Disclaimer:  I don't own anything from Harry Potter.

 

This story was written for the Multiple Challenges, Real Brother, and Another school challenges. 

Chapter 1

Ten-year-old Harry Potter was sitting in his cupboard working on an essay for school. Well, technically it wasn't for school. It wasn't for his school anyway. He was trying to get into a secondary school far away from where he was.

Harry hated the Dursley's and they hated him. He'd learned that many years ago, as well as that he had to get away from them as soon as possible before they killed him. That realization came to him when he was eight and his uncle beaten him until he was unconscious.

Harry had thought hard on a solution. He did consider telling someone, but he didn't think it would work. The Dursley's had convinced everyone that met him that he was a liar. No one would believe him. He would just end up getting another beating, one that might actually kill him. He had been very dejected once that realization hit, thinking he had no way out, since he had no other family. Then he came up with another way. It would take longer to achieve this out, but he could. Boarding school.

Harry had begun researching schools that he could go to. He'd become sullen again once realizing that they cost money, but then he learned that several of them offered scholarships, which meant he might be able to go for free. To get them though, he had to get good marks in school, which also meant that he would get him more frequently. His aunt and uncle got really angry when he did better than Dudley. But he could handle it if it meant he could get away in a few years.

Finally, Harry was at that point. He'd found a school that he could attend. The school was in Greece and he'd get to attend all year round. He might even get a full scholarship if they liked his grade and the essay he was now writing. Of course, it wasn't easy to write where he was. His cupboard was extremely dark. He was using a flashlight just to see what he was doing. It was hard, but it was the best he had.

Harry finally finished his essay three hours after starting it. He walked out of his cupboard, thankful that it was not locked for once. He immediately went to find his aunt. His uncle was still at work, again something he was thankful for. While his aunt hated his guts as well, she would take this much better than his uncle would. His uncle would be angry that he dared go behind his back and apply for school. His aunt would hopefully be happy to sign everything so that she could get rid of him.

Harry found his aunt in the kitchen getting dinner ready. Usually that was his job, but he'd 'accidently' burned lunch and she most likely didn't want to take the chance that it would happen again. Truthfully, he'd done it on purpose. He wanted to be sent to his cupboard so that he'd have the opportunity to write his essay. "Aunt Petunia?"

Petunia turned and scowled at the boy. "What do you want, Boy? Why are you out of your cupboard?"

"I need you to sign something. It will benefit us both," Harry said as he held out the pamphlet as well as the school forms that were mostly signed. All they required was her signature.

Petunia irritably snatched the documents from her nephew. She glanced at them for a moment and then glared at the boy. "What are you playing at, you little freak? You're going to the local secondary school!"

"It's a day school. If I go there, I'd have to come back here everyday. The Argyros Academy will take me all year. We'd never have to see each other again. It might be all the 'freak' and 'waste of space' talk that gave me the idea, but I thought that you'd want that," Harry said.

"Nothing would make me happier than to be rid of you for good, but there is no way we're going to pay for this," Petunia said before shoving the papers back at him and going back to her cooking.

"If my plan works, you won't have to. I'm trying to get a scholarship. They could accept me for free. My grades are pretty good," Harry said. They weren't perfect of course. He was no genius. He'd had to work quite hard for the grades he did get, but they were good, hopefully good enough to get the scholarship.

Petunia turned back to him. This time she had a slightly hopeful expression on her face. "Are you serious. They could let you go for free?"

"Possibly. There's nothing to lose by sending in the application. If I don't get the scholarship, I just don't go. If I do, I'll get to leave here forever. They even hold classes in the summer for those who want it. We would truly be free of each other," Harry said.

Petunia snatched the papers from him and to the table to sign them.

Harry sighed in relief. It might happen. He might get away from this place in less than a year.

 


 

Three months later on a Saturday, Harry made his way to the Dursley house after school. He was pretty depressed and had been for a while. He still had not received word from the Argyros Academy and began wondering if he would. He would assume he'd at least receive a rejection letter, but maybe he was wrong. Maybe they thought it wasn't worth their time. He thought he had pretty good grades, but perhaps he was wrong.

Harry stopped and grabbed the mail on his way inside, holding very little hope that it would be there. He quickly went through it, finding nothing of interest until he hit the last letter. when he saw it, he dropped the rest of the mail to the floor. This letter was addressed to him from the Argyros Academy.

Harry immediately tore open the letter and began reading. To his relief, it was written in English, though he did learn a little greek in preparation for this.

Dear, Mr. Potter

The Argyros School is happy to tell you that we have read and accepted you for the next term. We are also happy to tell you that your application for scholarship has been approved do to your excellent grades. All tuition and fees will be paid in full for the remainder of your education. Please not though that your scholarship can and will be discontinued should your grades slip below the acceptable level.

You are expected at the Argyros Academy on July 1, 1991 by 2pm. We realize this probably seems early, but we prefer students to get acclimated to the school before the term begins. Should you need an escort to the school, please let us know in writing and we will have someone met you at the airport.

Sincerely Raiden Contos.

Harry smiled. He got in. It took almost ten years, but he would soon finally be free from the Dursleys.

 


 

Severus Snape strode through the halls of Hogwarts and towards the headmaster's office. The man had sent him a message by owl asking for him to come today.

Severus quickly said the password and entered the headmaster's office. "You wanted to see me, Headmaster?"

"Yes, Severus, thank you for coming. First, how is your son doing?" Dumbledore asked. He was the only one who knew that Severus had a child. He never told anyone else, as he was very protective of the boy.

"He is fine. He was accepted to a school in Greece for next term," Severus said. His son was a squib, so he wouldn't be able to go to Hogwarts. Instead, he was going to a very selective muggle boarding school. Severus couldn't be prouder of his son. Not just anyone got into this school.

"Severus, I told you you could bring him with you," Dumbledore reminded him.

"I will not have my son ridiculed by the entire student body because he's a squib! You and I both know everyone will target him. I will not have that!" Severus said firmly. He loved his son and didn't care that the boy was a squib, but he knew the rest of the wizarding world would. He wouldn't have his son looked down on because of it. The boy was better off in muggle school. "He looks forward to his new school anyway."

"Well, I am happy for him. Now, the reason I asked you here is that I was hoping you'd agree to come back a few weeks early. Poppy is low on healing potions and could use your help rebuilding her stock," Dumbledore said.

"And you could not mention this in your letter?" Severus asked annoyed.

"Of course not. It's easier for you to say no in a letter," Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Why do I need to be here for that? I can always make them at home," Severus said.

"Ah, but it would be very difficult with an active eleven-year-old around. I figured you could bring him here and he could explore while you worked. The rest of the staff won't be back by then, so you needn't worry about your reputation being destroyed by the knowledge that you have a child," Dumbledore said in an amused tone.

Severus scowled. "That won't be necessary. Damon leaves for school the first of July. I can brew the potions at home. My lab is more extensive there and I prefer it. Plus, being here early will just remind me of the terror James Potter's spawn will cause this year sooner than necessary.

"As you wish. You can get the list of potions from Poppy. And try to keep an open mind about Harry. You have not even met the child," Dumbledore said.

Severus didn't say anything. He simply walked away.