Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
For those who may get confused, the references to football in this chapter are actually meant to mean soccer, as that's what it's called outside the US
Chapter 2

Harry stepped into the airport of Athens, Greece after getting off his plane. He immediately looked around looking for his escort. He was a bit nervous. He was by himself, not just in an airport, but in another country. He was pretty independent and didn't usually mind being alone, though that didn't happen very often, but being alone in another country was a different story. He worried slightly that his escort wouldn't show up and he'd be stranded.

Harry's worry was unfounded, as he soon noticed a dark haired, dark skinned man holding up a sign with his school name on it. He sighed in relief and approached the man. "Hello," he greeted. He said it in Greek just in case the man didn't understand English. He'd made sure to learn it before coming and believed he said it right.

The man chuckled. "I am very impressed, but you can speak English. All teachers at Argyros are fluent in English, since several of our students are from the United States and the UK. I am Lukas Goulas. I will be your science teacher. You are Harry Potter, yes."

"Yes, sir," Harry said with a smile.

"Good. Let's collect your things and I'll bring you to the Academy," Mr. Goulas said.

"This is all I have," Harry said motioning to the backpack on his back. He had a few pairs of Dudley's old clothes that didn't fit, as well as a few notebooks and pens he'd gotten. He'd earned the money for them by doing some jobs around the neighborhood. No one in Surry liked him, but they needed jobs done and reluctantly trusted him to do them. He had a little money left over that he hoped would pay for his school uniform.

Mr. Goulas frowned. "You have no other bags."

Harry shook his head and shifted uncomfortably. He didn't want anyone here to know what life was like at the Dursley's. He didn't want them to know that his own family considered him a freak. They might see him that way too. This was his chance to start over and have a real life. He wanted and needed that desperately. "Um, well, I figured it was better not to bring a lot of clothes or anything since there would be a uniform."

"Well, yes, there is, but that's only for classes. You can wear whatever you wish nights and weekends, as long it's appropriate. No matter though. I'm sure you can ask your family to send your other things to you," Mr. Goulas said.

Harry sighed in relief, glad that his new teacher hadn't suspected anything. "Sir, how much do uniforms cost?"

"Oh, we don't charge for student uniforms. That's all part of tuition, which means it was part of your scholarship reward," he told him.

Harry was delighted. He could now use what money he'd been given for other clothes. He'd seen in the brochure that there was a school near campus that they were allowed to go to at times. He would just need a bit of help getting to a bank to have his money converted and then he could get what he needed. He would never have to wear Dudley's ratty clothes again.

"Now we should get going. I can answer all your other questions on the way and while I show you around the school," Mr. Goulas said.

"Yes, sir," Harry said before following the man away.

 


 

Harry was seating the auditorium of his new school about a half hour later. He hadn't seen much of the school yet, but he was awed by what he did see. The campus was about ten to twenty times the size of his old school. There were three different buildings and they were all huge. Harry was really excited to begin a new and better life here. He only hoped that people wouldn't look at him the way the Dursley's did. He hated it, but a part of him worried that they would see him as a freak, just like his relatives did.

Harry's thoughts were soon interrupted by the greek accented voice of man with slicked back black hair and skin at the podium. "Welcome to the Argyros Academy, Children. I am Headmaster Contos. I want to congratulate all of you for getting into our school, as we accept only the brightest. You will of course need to continue the hard work you've put in to get in for your classes. Now you all have a long couple of months ahead of you as you are acclimated to your new school. Today, you will all be given a tour. You'll be separated into groups of about five to seven and will be shown around. I encourage you all to ask questions of your guide should you have them. Does everyone understand?"

"Yes, sir!" they all replied.

"Excellent."

Harry watched as varias teachers came up and called the names of students. About half the students were gone when a women with shoulder length dark hair approached the podium and started calling names. " Christopher Johnson, Ivan Krupin, Nicholas Moore, Harry Potter, and Damon Snape."

Harry immediately got up and approached the woman. Four other joined as well.

"Hello, boys. I am Ms. Spiros,,"the woman said as she led them out of the room. "Now, according to your applications, you all speak English. I just want to make sure that's correct before we go on.

All five boys nodded.

"Excellent. We like to group those who speak the same language together during the tours so that no one gets confused. I will be showing you around school. As Headmaster Contos said, please ask any questions you may have. Now before we start, why don't you all introduce yourselves so we can all get to know each other?" she suggested.

"I'm Nicolas, but I like Nick," a boy with reddish blonde hair using an American accent said.

"I"m Ivan," said a blond haired boy with a russian accent.

"Chris," another american boy said. He had dirty blonde hair that was parted to the sides.

"My name's Damon." This came from a boy with dark brown hair and brown eyes. he caught Harry's attention because like him, the boy spoke in an English accent. He also seemed quite shy, just like him.

"I'm Harry," Harry finally said.

"It's wonderful to meet you all. Let's get started," Ms. Spiros said before leading them across the hall and opening the door so they could see a large gymnasium. "I'm sure you'll all recognize this as the gym. You'll all have physical education classes in here, as it's required for four years. You can choose to drop it afterwards if you play a contact sport. That's not to say you have to wait those four years to play one. We encourage anyone interested in playing to do so, but for your first four years here, you will still have to take the PE course if you do," Ms Sanna said.

Harry started to get excited at the prospect of playing a sport. He'd seen children in his primary school play football and sometimes basketball during recess and before school, but he was always excluded thanks to Dudley. Maybe now he could play.

"This is also where our basketball team plays," Ms. Spiros said before leading them through the gym and towards a second room. "I think you will all love this part of the tour," she said before opening the door and revealing a large built in pool.

"Awesome!" a boy, Chris exclaimed.

"The pool is available to all students from three to seven during school days and eleven to seven on weekends. The only exceptions will be on days that the water polo team practices. We offer swimming lessons as well for the few students who never learned," Ms. Spiros said.

"What is water Polo?" Nick asked.

Ms. Spiros spent the next several moments explaining the game.

Harry found the game quite interesting. It seemed to be like football only you could use your hands and it was in the water. He thought he might like to try it, once he learned to swim anyway. Dudley took lessons when they were around five or six, but he of course wasn't allowed. He wanted to learn. He only hoped he wasn't laughed out when the other kids learned he couldn't swim.

They quickly moved on from the gym and to another part of the school. The library was around the corner and was huge! Harry loved it. There were tons of books. He loved to read. He wasn't a book worm or anything, but he liked reading sometimes. He spent most of his time at the library when he wasn't in class at his old school. Well, he he had to. He had to work really hard to get into the Argyros Academy. He read books he liked though too. It was fun.

"The librarian, Ms. Wolfe is on vacation this week, so the library is actually closed. She is a very nice women who you'll meet soon. You've all been issued library cards which you'll get in the morning. You can take out as much as you wish, but they must be returned or renewed in a timely fashion. If you're a day late, you'll get reprimanded. After two, you'll receive detention. Should you be late more than twice with your loans, you will lose the privilege of taking books out for a while. Does everyone understand?"" Ms. Spiros asked.

They all nodded.

"Great, we shall move on," she said.

The next thing they were shown was a few of the classrooms. "These classrooms here are where all the languages are taught. As I'm sure you've read in the brochure, you will be made to take English or Greek, depending on which language is foreign to you. All of you will of course be taking greek."

Harry remembered reading that. All students needed to know either English or Greek when they arrived. It wasn't a discrimination thing. The teachers just wouldn't be able to accommodate everyone's home language. And whatever language they didn't speak fluently, they would have to learn so they could interact better with their peers.

Damon tentatively raised his hand. "Would we be allowed to take other languages too." He wanted to learn latin. He'd learned a bit of latin after reading up on some of the spells his father knew. He would never actually be able to do those spells, since he was a squib, but he still enjoyed learning about them and he wanted to learn more latin.

"Of course, though you will have to wait until you've mastered the greek courses. You will begin taking those next week. We like to get new students started before term actually starts to give you a head start. The classes will run for three years. You can continue after that, but you don't have to," she said.

They all nodded that they understood.

"Alright, let's go on," Ms. Spiros said before leading them away.

They were shown several more things, including the cafeteria, nurse's office, Headmaster's office, and the sports fields, which included football, rugby, and cricket. They were then taken to the dorms where a bunch of other kids and a couple of teachers were waiting.

"It looks like you lot are the last five we were waiting for," one of the teachers said kindly. "Hello, everyone. I am Mr. Nyman and this is Mr. Zabat. We are in charge of your dorms for your year and the year above you, all of which are on this floor. There will be two of you per dorm room. Your things will be waiting for you when you get there. There is also a study area and a wreck room on this floor, as well as a small kitchen. The wreck room has games, a TV, and a comfortable lounge area. It is a privilege. Should you be unable to keep your grades up, you may be restricted on the time spent there or be banned completely until your grades get back up to the acceptable range. You may also be taken from you should you misbehave. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir," they all said.

"The kitchen in the building holds a bunch of snacks, as well as breakfast foods. YOu're welcome to use it as you wish, however, you are restricted to two non-healthy snacks per day. That includes things like chips, ice cream, and other sweets. If you're caught abusing this rule, you will lose the privilege. Breakfast, you may also eat in the kitchen. It's stocked with cereal, oatmeal and assorted fruits and muffins. However, lunch and dinner you must attend in the cafeteria," Mr. Nyman explained before looking to his colleague.

"I'm going to go over the rules now. Your rooms must be kept relatively clean. That means making your bed everyday and no leaving items on the floor. You must all be in your rooms by eight-o'clock on school nights and in bed by nine. Weekends it is nine and ten. We will be doing checks each night to ensure you obey this rule. Finally, there is to be no fighting between you. If you have a problem, you can come to one of us. Understand?" Mr. Zabat asked.

Another chorus of 'Yes, sirs' was heard.

"Good. Now, I will call your names and you will be shown to your rooms," he said.

Five minutes later, Harry's name was called, as well as Damon's and they were pointed to their dorm room at the end of the hall. Harry walked in and was awed once more. Most probably wouldn't be, as it only had a bed, a bureau, but Harry had never had any of those things before. He had been stuck in cramped cupboard on an old mattress. Now he had a bed and a place to put clothes when he got them. He even had a desk to do his homework on.

Harry went and opened the drawers of the dresser. He was just so mesmerized that he wanted to see everything, even empty drawers.

"It's pretty nice," Damon commented.

"It's great!' Harry exclaimed.

"Your name's Harry, right? Where are you from?" Damon asked.

"Surry, England. You're from England too, right?" Harry asked. The other boy sounded like he was, but there were other areas in the UK too.

"Yeah, Cokeworth. I live with my dad on Spinner's End," Damon said.

"Oh. I lived with my aunt and uncle," Harry said before walking over to his bed and sitting down. It was really comfortable. He was going to sleep great.

"Where are your mum and dad?" Damon wondered.

"They died when I was a baby in car crash," Harry said.

Damon cringed. He shouldn't have asked. His father had always told him to be careful about asking personal questions like that. "Sorry."

"It's okay. What about your mum?" Harry asked.

Damon shrugged. "She took off. I've never met her. I don't mind though. I've never known her, so I can't really miss her."

"I guess that's true. I can't really miss my parents either, though I do wish I'd known them," Harry said. His parents would've been better than the Dursley's, he was sure, even if they were drunks. They would've loved him.

Damon stopped what me was doing and looked out the window. "I already love this place. I can't wait until we start classes."

"Yeah, it's gonna be great," Harry said with a grin. He finally had a new start and possibly a new friend. Things were going to be great.

 


 

Severus stood outside his son's school several hours after dropping the boy off. He was there to place protective wards on the school so his son would be protected. No one aside from Dumbledore knew he had a child, so there wasn't really much to fear right now, but he wasn't going to take the chance of someone finding out. Old associates like Lucius Malfoy wouldn't take him having a squib son well and might attempt to hurt him if he found out. He couldn't take that chance. It was why no one knew about Damon.

The Spells Severus put up were very powerful. His son would be more protected than at Hogwarts. It wasn't that the spells themselves were more powerful. It was just that there was nothing to interact with them like at Hogwarts. There was a lot of magic at Hogwarts and that caused the protective charms not to work as well because the magic interacted with each other. There was no magic here. Nothing magical would be able to get through when he was finished. Not even an owl would be able to find the place. His son would be completely protected.