Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3

Harry walked into his dorm room after swim lessons. It had been about three weeks since he arrived at his new school. He loved it. He no longer had to worry about doing a million chores a day or dodging his uncle's and cousin's fists, nor did he have to live in a cupboard. He had his own room and clothes. He was given five school uniforms, which consisted of a white button down shirts, a black sweater vest, black tie, tan pants, and a black blazer that had the school crest on it. He was also able to buy some new things of his own with the money he'd earned back in England. He'd been taken to the bank to have the money exchanged for greek money and then went to the shopping area they were allowed in. He was able to buy himself a couple of outfits, a cheap pair of shoes, and some swim trunks.

The best part of the school, however, was that he was finally able to make friends of his own. Damon had quickly become his best friend. He was also friendly with Ivon, one of the boys that were part of his tour group, and two other boys, Connor and Gavin. As he said though, Damon was his best friend. They did everything together. They were going to take water polo when school officially started.

Damon looked up from his desk when he heard Harry come in. "Hey, how was your lesson."

Harry had been embarrassed to have to tell Damon that he didn't know how to swim. Everyone learned how to swim when they were little. But Harry believed he covered it up well. He told his friend that his aunt and uncle couldn't afford the lessons. It was the same explanation he gave for the ratty clothes of Dudley's he had. "It was fun. I can't wait to start water polo."

"Me too. It sounds like it will be fun," Damon said.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked his friend.

"Writing a letter to my father. I'm almost done though. Want to go get a snack and then go to the rec room?" Damon asked.

"Sure. I'll go change," Harry said before going over to his dresser and pulling out a change of clothes. Then he headed to the bathfoom.

 


 

Dumbledore was in his office getting ready for the new school year when Minerva McGonagall walked in. "Hello, Minerva. How are the lesson plans going?"

"Albus, we have a big problem. Harry Potter's letter isn't getting to him," Minerva said.

Dumbledore sighed. "I thought that that might happen. Petunia was never quite fond of Magic. I imagined she would try to keep Harry from coming. We'll send the letters a few more times. If we still don't get a response, I'll send Hagrid in person."

"I don't think you understand, Albus. It's not that the letter is simply being kept from him. It has not gotten to his address," MInerva said.

"Ah, one of the troubles of muggle mail. Send the owl,' Dumbledore said. He had made sure the first letter had been sent to Harry through the muggle post, just like he would the muggleborns. However, if he wasn't getting it, he was more than ready to send more letters by owl.

"I did. It still came back. I examined the letter more carefully and realized why they kept coming back. Look at it," she said before handing him the letter.

Dumbledore frowned as soon as he saw it. Under address it said 'unknown'. The letter hadn't gotten to Harry because it couldn't find him. "This is impossible. The only way for a person to be unreachable by an owl is if his location is if there was some sort of interception spell or the area was protected against magic. Since no one intercepted the letter, it can only be the latter. But Harry lives with a muggle family. They have no means of setting up such powerful wards."

"Well, something must have happened because the owls can't find him," Minerva said worried.

"I'm going to firecall Severus. We're going to Privet Drive.

 


 

Severus was in his kitchen going through the muggle post, which pretty much consisted of some bills for his home and a letter from Damon. He put the bills aside and started reading the letter from his son.

Dad,

I love this school so much! I'm already in classes. Well, one class. We have to take greek so that we're able to understand everyone who doesn't speak English. It's great. The teacher makes it really fun!

The staff is all really nice and the campus is great. We have a pool and lots of sports. Harry and I are going to take up water polo. Oh, Harry's my roommate and my best friend. We spend loads of time together. It's so great! I've never really had friends and I don't think Harry has either. He doesn't really talk about them anyway. But now I've got Harry and we have a few other friends too.

Well, I guess I'll go now. I'll write you soon and I'll see you on Christmas. I can't wait. I already miss you, even though I'm used to being away from you during the year. See you soon!

Love Damon

Severus almost snorted at the name of his son's new friend. All he thought about when he heard the name Harry was the Potter brat. Just the thought of his son and James Potter's being friends was hilarious. He was sure James Potter would think the same if he were alive. There was no way a Snape and a Potter would ever be friends. Still, the irony of his son's friend's name was funny.

Severus soon heard the floo. He immediately got up and headed into the living room where the fireplace was. He found the headmaster's head there. "Albus, I shall be there tomorrow. Can whatever you're calling for not wait?"

"No, Severus, it can't. I need you to step through. We have a problem."

 


 

Severus was extremely irritable. Not only was he forced to cut his holiday a day short, but now he was forced to cater to the bloody Boy Who Lived. Something had caused the boy's letter to not arrive to him.

Severus, Dumbledore and Minerva were walking down privet drive after apparating to the street. "Albus, are you sure your wards aren't keeping the owls out," Severus asked.

"Yes, I'm positive. The wards only keep those wishing the boy harm away. They wouldn't keep him from receiving mail," Dumbledore said.

"Besides, the original letter was sent the muggle way. It is not just the owls. Magic itself can't find him," Minerva said.

Severus' stomach knotted up. There were two possibilities that would lead to such an outcome. One was that wards had been put up to prevent Magic from finding him, much like he had done to protect Damon while he was at school. The other was something he didn't want to voice even to himself just yet.

"Minerva, would you go and speak to Arabella while Severus and talk with the Dursleys?" Dumbledore asked when they reached number four.

"Of course," Minerva said before walking away from them.

Dumbledore and Severus approached the house. Just as they reached the porch, a woman walked out.

"Oh, hello. Are you interested in the house?" the woman asked.

"I'm sorry, I don't believe I understand. Are you a friend of the Dursley family?" Dumbledore asked.

"Oh, no, I'm the real estate agent," the woman said.

"The what?" Dumbledore asked confused.

"She's selling the house," Severus whispered before turning to the woman. "You mean to say that the Dursley family no longer lives here?"

"That's correct. They moved out about a week ago. I saw them off," the woman said.

Severus gently probed into the muggle woman's mind. He got the memory of them leaving, but as three, not four. He saw Petunia and the two wales she called husband and son. Potter was not there. "Thank you, Madam,"

The two of them began walking away. "Did you see anything, Severus?"

"Yes, I saw them leave. Potter was not with them," Severus said as the walked to Arabella Figg's house.

Minerva came out and joined them as they reached the driveway. "He's been gone for weeks. Arabella said they told her he'd gone away to school. They didn't say where."

"That's impossible. It doesn't explain why we can't find him. If they sent the boy away at a muggle school, we'd be able to find him," Severus said.

"What about another magical school? Is that possible?" Minerva asked.

"No. They wouldn't stop Magic from finding him. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't. It would interfere with the school's magic," Dumbledore said. It was why nothing like that had been done at Hogwarts. It was the one ward the school would never have because of how much magic the school contained.

Severus became concerned. This brought him back to the second option for why they couldn't find Potter. Magic couldn't find the boy if he was dead.

To be continued...