Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A bit of a shorter chapter than usual, but I'm blaming my plot bunnies for abandoning me on this fic. Hopefully, it's a temporary issue. If you have an ideas, please don't hesitate to offer them as it usually helps jump start them. :) As always, enjoy.
Symbols
As the green hazy moonlight shone down through the murky water of Black Lake and cast beautiful designs on the wall, Severus sat alone in his favorite armchair next to the fireplace. His dark eyes were trained on the silver ring he held in his fingers. He still was in complete awe at how perfect the ring was. Harry truly had picked the right one. It would look amazing on Aurora's finger. If only he asked that was. But he couldn't. Not now. The timing was all wrong. It'd look desperate. And yet all through their dinner this evening, before it had been so rudely interrupted by that damn wolf of a professor Lupin, Severus had found himself wanting to ask her to marry him strangely enough.

"Perhaps staring at the ring even longer will cause it to change its colors and do all other sorts of fun tricks, too," drawled Salazar Slytherin from his portrait above the fireplace.

Severus frowned and glared at the portrait of the Slytherin founder. Stupid portrait.

Salazar only yawned, though, as if he hadn't noticed Severus's dark look. "Oh, by the way," the Slytherin founder announced with little to no care in the world, "your son is outside lurking about the corridor. Shall I allow him inside, or do I tell him you're waiting for the ring to change colors on its own?"

That got a response. Severus blinked instantly. Harry? He glanced at the clock and narrowed his eyes. What was Harry still doing up at this hour? The boy should have gone to bed hours ago.

"Yes." He moved to pocket the ring once more as the portrait swung open to allow Harry inside.

"Is that—"

"Yes," Severus interrupted with a frown. Of course the boy would notice the moment he entered the ring of all things. "But that's a discussion for another night." He stood and looked the young boy over. Harry didn't seem hurt, but that didn't mean he wasn't. As he continued visually examining his son, he found himself wondering if perhaps the Dementor that had attacked his son on the train earlier had done more damage than first thought. There was only so much chocolate could do after all.

"I couldn't sleep," Harry quietly admitted as the silence went on. He lowered his head instantly afterwards as if he was ashamed of something.

"Because of what occurred on the train earlier?"

"I don't know." Harry shrugged. "Maybe." He kicked at the floor and sighed. "I heard someone scream, Dad. A woman, I think."

Severus's eyes narrowed on his son. He'd imagine quite a bit of people were screaming when they first saw the Dementor. But there had to be more than just that, so he waited for his son to continue.

"It wasn't Mum this time. Someone else."

"Did you recognize the voice?"

"No." Harry sighed loudly before he glanced up at his dad. "No one else heard it. Just me."

"I see."

"I'm not crazy, Dad," the third-year declared fiercely.

"I didn't say you were."

"Good." The young boy nodded once before he started to pick at his jeans. "Because I'm not."

"That's good to know." Severus gave his son a weak smile when the boy glared at him.

"That's not funny," Harry grumbled. His vivid green eyes then darted towards the far end of the hallway towards the master bedroom door. "Is Mum asleep?"

"She is." His eyes moved towards the door as well.

"Oh. She didn't, like, have any problems after I left, did she? I mean, she looked fine during the Sorting. A little reserved, but good."

Severus felt a little twinge of guilt rise up inside as he said, "No." He and Aurora had both noticed the pair of green eyes trained on them during the ceremony, as Harry watched their every move. He wasn't exactly lying to the boy. She had been fine during his time on the train to Hogsmeade, the ceremony . . . and most of the couple's private dinner, too. That was until Lupin showed up and ruined the moment, but Severus wasn't about to get into that fiasco with his son at this late of an hour.

"You think I can stay here tonight?" Harry asked quietly, biting his bottom lip nervously.

"Of course." He returned Harry's hug before the young boy then headed towards his room. As he followed after his son, he couldn't help but smile somewhat. They were home and safe. All three of them. Very hushed and under his breath, he whispered, "One day down, nine more months to go."


Since Harry had woken up late and as a result missed breakfast in the Great Hall, the young boy walked alone to his first class the next morning. Though, he wasn't complaining about that. Not at all. He actually was quite relieved he wouldn't be around everyone else and hear the teasing from the other students again. It was much, much quieter this way.

For a few minutes, however, it had been a little dicey since Harry didn't know where or what his classes were this year. Thankfully, he had his dad, though. A house elf later, and Harry was on his way. Up to the North tower that was.

He had never been to this side of the castle before strangely enough. His dad seemed to avoid it like the plague. As he continued up to where this entrance supposedly was for the Divination classroom, he found his mind wandering back to last night at the Welcoming Feast. He knew he was being overprotective, but he had just gotten a family. He didn't want to lose either of them. Ever. Was that so wrong? He didn't think so.

As the minutes stretched on, the young boy found himself wondering if he had made a wrong turn somewhere. He paused for half a moment and looked around. Except for a few birds perched on a broken windowsill, there was no one around.

He was certain the house elf had said turn right at the giraffe, which is what he did. So why wasn't he seeing any of his housemates or even the trapdoor? Frowning slightly, Harry pulled his cloak tighter around himself protectively. This area of the castle was downright spooky.

"I'm never going to find this stupid Divination classroom," he mumbled to himself, turning back to return the way he had come. However, he paused at a hinge squeaking open followed by a soft thump. Swallowing, he slowly turned around, finding a ladder that led up through an opened trapdoor. Where had that come from? He glanced around, his heart racing. He saw no one in any direction and heard nothing either. Biting his bottom lip, he drew in another shaky breath. It looked like the trapdoor his father had described, but his dad never said anything about a ladder. What if it was a trap? He dismissed it shortly afterwards. It couldn't be. This was Hogwarts after all—the safest place in all of England.

Climbing the ladder, Harry found himself entering the strangest classroom he'd ever seen. There were curtains and scarves everywhere, from the lamps to the walls to the ceiling. Was this Hogwarts' attic or had he actually made it to the Divination classroom, he found himself wondering. However, when he noticed his classmates all huddled around small cramped tables, he realized his answer.

"Sorry I'm late, Professor," he called out as he quickly took a seat next to Ron and Hermione.

"No worries, dear," smiled the middle-aged witch wearing obnoxiously thick glasses. "I knew you would be late, as my crystal ball had shown me it earlier."

Harry's eyes narrowed slightly. The way his mum had always gone on about the professor, she had made the woman out to be some sort of fraud. But if Trelawney had predicted his being late when even Harry hadn't known it . . . maybe his mum was wrong.

The Divination professor smiled politely to the rest of the class. "I am Professor Trelawney," she announced, speaking very emphatically. "You may not have seen me before."

Harry had to think real long before he finally recalled an instance where he had seen her. And unfortunately he seemed to recall her being kooky as always even then. He then frowned. From what he had noticed, not a lot of the other staff members really paid much attention to her for some reason. Though, he figured her flair for the dramatics had something to do with that.

"I find that descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the main school clouds my Inner eye," Trelawney proclaimed, bumping into a nearby table.

"Or it's the stuff she's burning up here," Ron mumbled under his breath, causing Harry to snort.

"So you have chosen to study Divination, the most difficult of all magical arts."

Divination was harder than Potions? Than Astronomy? Harry groaned inwardly. He was going to be so screwed this year. He glanced towards Ron and glared at his friend. Why had he chosen his classes based on which ones Ron was taking anyway? That was so stupid in hindsight.

"I must warn you at the outset—"

"Excuse me, Professor," Hermione interrupted, holding her hand up. "I have a question."

Trelawney smiled thinly. "I thought you might, dear. What is it?"

"How can Divination be the most difficult of all magical arts?"

Harry heard the gasps all around and glanced at Hermione with his mouth hanging open slightly. That was new. She hardly ever interrupted professors during their introductions.

"Because books can only take you so far, I'm afraid," Trelawney replied before she turned back towards the rest of the class to continue her performance. "I must warn you at the outset that if you do not have the Sight, there is very little I will be able to teach you."

Harry watched Hermione's hand shoot up and glanced at Ron who stared at her in disbelief. This clearly was not the Hermione Granger they had known all these years.

"But aren't you supposed to teach us anyway, Professor, instead of dismiss those who do not possess the Sight? That's what all the other professors do after all in their subjects when someone isn't good at a particular subject."

Harry glanced at Trelawney and caught his professor's nostrils flare slightly. Hermione was clearly getting under her skin.

"Aurora put you up to this, didn't she?" Trelawney stated, pointing at Hermione. "Or was it Minerva? Answer me, Miss Granger." Hermione didn't answer, though. "It's always the same. They always play these pranks as if they think I do not know it's them." She then shook her head. "Do you know why they asked you to test me, dear? It is because they are jealous."

Harry opened his mouth to argue, but closed it once he felt Hermione's hard kick to his shin.

"They do not have the Gift of Sight as I do. It is a rare gift, after all." Trelawney raised her head proudly. "And as such, they are not able to penetrate the veiled mysteries of the future. In fact, you may tell Aurora that because of her little stunt here today, I will not reveal my latest prophecy to her now."

Somehow, Harry didn't think his mum was going to be choked up over that at all.

"Tell Professor McGonagall that as well," Trelawney stated with a somber sigh. "Oh, it is just like those two to mess with my aura today." She shook her head. "They both think their subjects are so important, but, tell me, what is more important than knowing the future?" When no one answered, she smiled. "That's what I thought," Trelawney replied. "Now, at the beginning of this term, we will learn the basics of Divination, namely proper tea leaf reading." She then motioned to the teacups neatly placed in front of each student. "As you can see, I was aware of Miss Granger's interruption and have already filled your cups. So, please break into pairs and drink your cup until only the dregs remain."

Harry glanced at Hermione and noticed his friend's frown. She didn't seem to believe a word Professor Trelawney was saying, which Harry found odd. Usually professors were held in high esteem by Hermione and treated as such. But not Professor Trelawney. He watched his friend as he followed the Divination professor's instructions. He'd give Trelawney this at the very least. She made good tea.

"Here, Harry. I'll interpret yours," Hermione said a moment later, holding her hand out to him.

Almost immediately, Harry heard Ron start to choke on his tea.

"Uh, okay . . ." Harry hesitantly handed her his cup, catching a flash of something in Ron's eyes instantly. He was missing something, clearly.

"Let's see here." Hermione turned Harry's teacup once after following Trelawney's directions and nodded as she stared at the design left in his teacup. "Right." She then adopted her best knowledge-seeking voice as her eyes fell to her opened Unfogging the Future book. "Here we go." She turned back to Harry. "Holly, meaning something important will happen in the winter."

Harry's eyes glanced towards Trelawney the moment he heard her harsh cough next to him. She clearly did not agree with Hermione's conclusion.

"You'll have to forgive me for saying so, my dear," Trelawney tutted at Hermione, "but that's incorrect. Not that you can help being wrong, though. I perceive very little aura around you." She then scrunched up her face and shook her head. "Very little receptivity to the resonances of the future."

Harry didn't even need to look at Hermione to know Trelawney's words were like a slap to the face for his friend. He watched Hermione fly to her feet then before she stormed out of the classroom, her textbook left behind still opened. The young boy glanced at Ron.

"What'd I tell you? Bloody mental, she is," Ron muttered, turning back to look into his teacup.

Harry frowned, though, and glanced at his own cup. The dregs did sort of look like holly. He then glanced back at Hermione's opened book. There were so many strange things that had just happened he wasn't certain what to make of it. Since when did Hermione question professors openly to their faces? Or storm out and leave behind her books?

"Hey, Harry. Do you think this looks like a skull?" Ron asked, holding his cup out towards him.

Harry shrugged, not bothering to look at his friend's cup. Something wasn't right. Gathering his things soon after and picking up Hermione's book as well, Harry headed for the exit. He caught Trelawney's look of shock, but ignored it and left. He knew his dad was going to be upset with him later for doing this, but he couldn't just let Hermione leave without knowing what was wrong.

"Friar, have you seen Hermione?" Harry asked the moment he ran across the Hufflepuff ghost. The Friar gave a faint smile and pointed down the hallway. "Thanks." He then continued down the long corridor. Several minutes had passed before he finally saw her walking in front of him. "Hermione!"

She whirled around instantly and gasped. "Harry! What are you doing here?"

"You forgot your book," he said quietly, suddenly realizing that it sounded rather mad. He caught her a shy smile before she grabbed her book from him.

"Thank you." She added it to her bag. "You didn't have to leave class to give this to me, Harry."

"I know, but I thought, well." He dragged his foot against the floor. "I thought you'd like to talk or something." When she put a hand on his arm, he glanced back at her. "It's stupid. I know, but . . ."

"No. It's sweet." She gave a soft laugh. "You must think me mad just now for that."

"Not really. More confused than anything." He then stared at her. "Is everything all right?"

"It's fine. I just . . . books won't help? Divination is the most important subject? Really?" She shook her head. "Professors McGonagall and Sinistra had warned me about taking Divination, but I thought they were wrong. That Professor Trelawney actually did have the Sight, but you saw her. She's lucky she's able to speak or stand with the amount of liquor she's had. And Divination, it's nothing more than parlor tricks and guesses." Harry could hear the disappointment in his friend's voice. "I want to be challenged. Learn valuable skills. Not be like Ron and just skate by in life."

"Me too," Harry replied, laughing when he heard his answer. "Let's go talk to McGonagall and be challenged then." Hermione smiled widely at him before they headed off to find their Head of House.