Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Suspicions Confirmed
The next day the next day Harry had a plan to prove he was right. He would let Lightning Bolt loose in the castle again then he would follow him under the invisibility cloak. Hopefully Lightning Bolt would head to the dungeons and run into Snape again. Then, because they would be alone, Harry could find out if Snape did have a soft spot for cats.

Hermione, however pointed out that he had no use for the information. Why would he need it? Blackmail? ("Harry you better not blackmail Snape.")

Harry brushed off her concerns- ("Of course I'm not going to blackmail Snape! That's crazy Hermione, I would never do that.")- he just wanted to know if he was right. If he was right, it would make Snape 10x less terrifying. There was no harm in that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Finally his last class before lunch ended. He quickly speed walked to the common room. He grabbed his invisibility cloak. He then found Lightning Bolt terrorizing Scabbers in a corner.

Lightning Bolt had taken sides with Chrookshanks and took every chance he got to torment Scabbers. Ron complained but Harry brushed it off as cat instinct. Cats and mice didn't get along. Like cats and dogs; or cats and birds. Or cats and snakes....

Harry finally brought his wandering mind back to the task at hand. He placed the invisibility cloak around him and Lightning Bolt. When they were near the dungeons he waited until it was practically deserted before letting Lightning Bolt down.

The small cat stood there for moment, confused by the sudden change in scenery. He quickly gathered his bearings, recognizing the dungeons from the other day. He then took off in the direction of Snape's office again.

Harry mentally cheered. So far his plan was working. He followed the cat hoping Snape would be there.

For once luck was on his side, for once he turned a corner there was Snape. Harry grinned under his invisibility cloak.

Lightning Bolt noticed him immediately as well. Instantly he meowed and made his way towards Snape. When he reached him he started to rub against his legs and purring.

Harry practically held his breath, waiting to see what Snape would do. If he bent down to pet Lightning Bolt it would mean Snape did have a soft spot for cats, if he didn't it meant Harry was wrong and Hermione was right (as usual).

As Harry watched, still hidden, Snape quickly glanced around him, seemingly checking to see if anyone way around. His eyes lingered where Harry was standing for a moment and Harry froze sure he was caught somehow. However the moment passed and Snape resumed his search. Finally Snape concluded that no one was around and did not bend down to pet Lightning Bolt. Oh no, he crouched down. Harry gasped slightly at the sight of the terrifying Snape, the man who made first years cry, crouch down to pet a cat.

Snape's head shot up and glanced around again, lingering on Harry for a moment longer than necessary. Slowly Snape stood up and started walking towards him. Harry had about 10 seconds to panic before they both heard footsteps.

Snape froze and schooled his face into an expression of impassiveness as a student turned the corner.

"Professor Snape! Good thing you're here, I was looking for you! I was worried you'd be at dinner.", suddenly the student noticed Lightning Bolt. "Is that your cat professor?"

Snape sneered slightly, but to Harry it was fake. After what he had seen not minutes ago how could it not?

"No this is not my cat. I believe it is Mr.Potters.", Snape answered still sneering, "Yesterday the same cat came up to me when Mr.Potter appeared looking for him."

"Harry Potters cat!?", exclaimed the student, "Wow!"

Snape rolled his eyes, "What was it that you needed Mr.Gold?"

The student, Mr.Gold, started, "Oh! Uh... I wanted to ask you about something you mentioned in class earlier."

Snape nodded, "Very well, follow me, we can talk in my office."

Snape turned and walked away with Mr.Gold following him. Harry let out a breath he had been holding. That had been a stressful past few minutes. He took off the invisibility cloak and picked up Lightning Bolt as he turned and walked away.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Snape was not fully listening as the student talked about the lesson from today's class. He could have sworn he heard someone when he had been petting Potters cat. Lightning Bolt was it?

Either way he had not seen anyone. Suddenly he heard a footstep from behind. He quickly turned his head to see Harry Potter take off an invisibility cloak, pick up his cat and walk away. So had been right, someone had been watching him.

He sighed. Of all people it had to be Harry bloody Potter who learned of his fondness for cats. He sighed again and went back to discussing potions with Mr.Gold. Hopefully nothing would come of this.
The End.