Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus considers what to do with Harry...
Believe me!
Harry felt like it was his turn to hit the floor. He just stood there, biting the inside of his cheek, waiting for a reaction. The moment felt like it was dragging on and on.

Please believe that. Please believe that.

Harry forced himself to continue the eye contact even though he felt like Snape was starring at his soul. He felt completely naked and vulnerable. Harry wanted to disconnect the eye contact and swallow the spit accumulating in his mouth but he was afraid that would give him away. Snape didn't even flinch.

He's just going to tell everyone!

Harry could feel his heart beating fast. His palms felt sweaty. In the dark eyes of his professor he saw every snicker and every taunt he could imagine Malfoy making. He saw the other students whisper behind his back and the staff's sympathetic looks.

Oh, the slimy snakes will have a field day!

Never mind the Slytherins! He might learn to endure their mocking of 'Big baby Potter who misses his momma so much he turns Granger into her' but what was worse was the thought of everyone knowing about it and feeling sorry for him. He did not want to be pitied.

Then Snape spoke and Harry held his breath.

”And why, Mr. Potter, should you need a picture of Mr. Weasley's cousin? And so desperately that you went to such great lengths in producing it?”

This was not the response Harry had anticipated. He was prepared for Snape not buying it and yelling at him and he had hoped for a simple nod of acceptance and that Snape would then turn his attention back to Hermione. He was not prepared to be questioned further.

”Erm,” replied Harry.

”I'm waiting, Mr. Potter,” Snape sneered impatiently.

”It's kind of a long story,” Harry began as he desperately tried stalling for time to come up with an explanation.

”Seeing as I'm going to be up all night tending to Miss Granger, I find myself with more than enough time to hear it,” Snape stated.

”Well, erh...” Harry continued.

Oh, bloody hell! What the hell were you thinking? Now what?

Harry was halfway considering just coming clean and spilling it before his thoughts once again returned to the likely outcome of Snape possessing such information.

”Do I need to repeat myself?”

The potions master was clearly becoming more and more furious as he stood there in front of Harry.

”No,” Harry replied.

He slowly pushed himself backwards in his seat and silently thanked the small desk for standing between himself and the great bat.

”Are you going to answer me then?” said the man in a low ominous voice.

”No.”

Harry grabbed the edge of the desk and dug his finger nails into it wishing he had been able to think on his feet and come up with a proper lie. As it was he considered this the only move he could make. Harry lowered his gaze not wanting to see the reaction.

Silence. And then:

Excuse me?

The words were almost a whisper but Harry didn't fail to notice the tone of the voice that seemed to promise him that those were likely to be the last words he ever heard.

”I said no,” Harry said with a trembling voice.

”It's private.”

Harry closed his eyes and waited.

”POTTER! You will answer me this instant! Don't you dare disobey me!” Snape's voice thundered above him.

Harry felt the tears beginning to fall but there was nothing he could do.

”No.”

This time he was not left waiting for a reaction. Then next moment he felt the desk flying out of his grasp and heard the loud bang as it crashed into the wall. Before he had had a chance to react, he felt two strong hands grabbing his upper arms and hoisting him off the chair.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus was not quite sure why he had grabbed the boy – or rather so he told himself. He was not about to dwell on how much he wanted strangle the miniature James Potter at that moment as he was much too concerned the loss of control of his temper. He was just about to deposit the boy on the floor in front of him and yell his head off when the bright green eyes opened. They starred at him full of fear and then the boy cried:

”IT'S MY MUM, OKAY?!”

Severus put the crying boy down. He grabbed Potter's shoulders and shook the boy once, lightly. The boy only sobbed louder at this and Severus frowned realizing his 'for Merlin's sake, pull yourself together' gesture had produced the opposite effect he had intended.

Count to five. One. Two. Three. Four. Five.

Severus sighed and lightly shook the boy once again.

”Potter? Potter! Get a hold of yourself!”

What does he want? A hug and a cup of hot chocolate? Self-important brat! He lies to my face and then dares to through a tantrum? He may be able to fool Minerva but if he thinks I'm about to pity him...

”P... Please, sir! Please, d... don't tell anyone!” sobbed the boy.

Severus raised an eyebrow in confusion.

”Potter?”

”Please! Don't tell them!”

Oh, really? What is this about?

”Potter, I suggest you stop that incessant sobbing and tell me the truth,” Severus replied.

The boy was trembling but Severus didn't let go of him.

”You're just going to tell the Slytherins!” Potter whimpered.

Severus had to keep himself from smirking. There was no way he was going to be mentioning this to anyone as it was, but Potter's pleas gave him an idea that might just save him the trouble of obliviating the memory of his fainting from the minds of the children.

”I don't know, Potter. The headmaster will want to know of this – not to mention your head of house! And as for your classmates this might serve as an excellent example to show them just how dangerous...”

”NO! Please don't!” Potter cried.

Severus sighed dramatically – trying very much to seem like his hands were tied on the matter.

”Mr. Potter, how could I possibly not tell them?”

The boy starred at him with watery emerald eyes.

”Please, sir! I'll tell you everything! And I won't ever do it again!”

”I am expected to report such things, Potter, I cannot go around keeping your secrets for you. Besides I'm sure you'll be out and about boasting over you rule breaking to all your fans yourself come morning!”

”I don't... I am not... I mean, I wouldn't want anyone to know!”

”Are you this desperate to keep this a secret?” inquired Severus with a silky voice.

The boy nodded his head and then paused as if he was considering something.

”Please,” he replied.

Excellent.

”Very well,” said Severus and let go of the boy.

”You'll keep it a secret?” asked the boy as if he could hardly believe it.

”I will consider it. Now, tell me why Miss Granger felt the need to turn into your mother.”

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Harry felt conflicted. What was that supposed to mean? Was Snape going to keep the secret? Could he even trust the man's word?

When Harry had cried out the identity of the person Hermione had tried to glamour herself as he had been scared for his life. He wasn't quite sure what he had imagined Snape was about to do to him but he was quite sure he'd become a potion by the end of it and the words had just escaped him as survival instincts kicked in.

He'd already told him that Hermione was impersonating his mother, what did it matter now if he knew the rest? Harry was quite sure that if he wasn't going to be ridiculed over the truth, he was going to be ridiculed over what ever assumptions Snape would make about the events. Knowing what assumptions the professor had previously made about Harry's character and home life, he wasn't about to let that happen. Besides he still wasn't completely convinced the danger of becoming a potion ingredient had passed.

”Yes, sir,” Harry said quietly.

”Why don't you sit back down, Potter, I'll need to tend to your little friend while you recount your fantastic tale.”

Harry nodded and sat down while Snape returned to Hermione and began waving his wand over her. Harry watched as he performed a diagnostic and carefully kept the woman's face as clean as possible with the orange drool continuing to flow.

”I don't hear your voice, Mr. Potter, and as much as I would like to be exempt from listening to it all together I need you to start talking now,” Snape reminded him – his back still turned to Harry.

Harry took a deep breath.

”Hermioneglamouredherselfsowecouldtakeapictureofmeandmymumtogether,” Harry mumbled.

”Potter!”

”I'm sorry, sir. We needed a picture of me and my mum together,” Harry repeated.

Harry carefully watched the potions master for a reaction but there seemed to be none.

”Why?” Snape inquired in a deep ominous voice and Harry suddenly felt as though he'd gotten a question wrong in class.

”I... Well, I had just one picture of us but...”

”But you threw it away somewhere?” Snape sneered as he suddenly twirled around to face the boy – his robes floating shortly in the air.

”Honestly, Potter, I am hardly surprised but to risk Miss Granger's life because you cannot keep your things in order that has to be a new low even for you! Do you care so little for others?”

”But sir, I didn't...”

”It doesn't matter whether you knew this would happen or not, Mr. Potter, we've already covered that! How many minutes had she been glamoured when I found you?”

”About 25 minutes, I think, but professor...”

”Hmm!” said Snape and waved a hand to silence Harry.

The professor looked at the Lily impostor with an expression of contemplation. Harry felt like crying, screaming and kicking the wall. Normally he could ignore Snape's words or at least to some degree, but to be accused of not caring at all whether Hermione lived or died was devastating.

Snape appeared to have either sensed something was going on or heard Harry's increasingly faster breathing for just then he barked:

”Potter, if you're about to throw another tantrum I urge you to reconsider before I lose my patience.”

Harry got off the chair and crept into a corner of the room. He sat down on the floor and wrapped his arms around his knees.

I didn't mean for this to happen! Why does he always make everything my fault? Why couldn't McGonagall have found us? Heck, I might even have preferred Filch!

”Miss Granger will need a potion every hour and I must keep a close eye on her. I would order you to return to your dorm but I have little faith you would obey me and I cannot escort you there before Miss Granger improves.”

Harry nodded even though he knew Snape wasn't looking at him.

”I don't want to leave her, sir,” he whispered so quietly he was surprised that Snape could hear him.

”Regardless of your wishes, Mr. Potter, you will be returned to Gryffindor Tower once I am comfortable with leaving Miss Granger unattended.”

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus was carefully considering his options.

I could still do it. Right now. How would I explain to the brat that he is in my office? Perhaps in the tower? No, that's too risky. If the old man found out...

”Can I help you, sir?” said a timid voice behind him and pulled Severus away from his thoughts.

May you, Potter, and I hardly think your assistance is needed,” he replied.

”May I come over to her, professor?” the boy tried.

Severus paused.

I'll have to find something to occupy Potter with before he drives me completely insane. He'll be the death of me for certain – he very nearly succeeded tonight!

”You may sit by her but don't you touch her without permission! She's gravely ill and doesn't need to be bothered by you. Take the chair – no quietly boy! Place it there! Yes!” Severus instructed.

”I don't happen to have an endless supply of that potion since this is hardly a common occurrence,” he continued, glaring at the boy who was crawling onto the chair. ”And I will have to brew more during the night!”

”Sir, I could help with that,” the boy tried.

”Potter, you'd likely blow it up in your own face and one ill student in my office is more than enough!” Severus groaned at the thought of Potter let loose in his lab.

On the other hand, I could have him chopping Merilaroot until his hands fall off.

”Perhaps, Mr Potter, you may prepare a few ingredients. However, if you do not apply yourself or do not do as your told, I will have you sit on your hands for the rest of the time you remain here. Is that clear?”

”Yes, sir,” the boy replied with his eyes fixed upon 'Lily'.

”Are you listening to me?” Severus sneered and watched the boy almost jump off the chair.

”Yes! I mean, yes sir!” Potter shrieked.

”Excellent,” Severus smirked.

He raised his wand and pointed it towards the desk he had flung into the wall, returned it to it's original position and cast a reparo on a very wobbly leg.

”I'll fetch the ingredients for you to prepare. Do not move, boy! I shall return shortly!”

The boy nodded. Severus caught a glimpse of something in his eyes.

Not listening again! What on earth is he plotting now?

”Two minutes, Potter!” Severus sighed and turned his back to the boy.

He walked towards one of the only visible door besides the one leading out into the dungeons.

”Sir?”

Severus paused.

”Yes?” he growled – not bothering to turn and look at the boy.

”I...”

Severus sighed and put his hand on the doorknob.

”I won't tell if you won't tell, sir!”

You horrid little brat! What do you think you're playing at?!