Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own the world of Harry Potter.
The Broomstick

Severus Snape set down his goblet and glared across the Great Hall at the son of his late nemesis.

He could not believe the ridiculousness of the whole scenario. The child was a first year for starters, and had only been at Hogwarts for a matter of weeks. And that was before one considered that up until the day of his 11th birthday, Harry Potter had had absolutely no contact whatsoever with the magical world.

That was why Severus Snape could not believe Gryffindor’s latest addition had already made the Quidditch team.

Blocking out the idle chit-chat of his colleagues, the potions master watched as an all-too-familiar snowy owl swooped out of nowhere, carrying a package which was easily four times its size.

The owl glided towards her owner, dropping the package as she passed over head.

Severus Snape could not believe the precision in the delivery, and the accuracy in Potter’s catch. Typical. Gryffindor’s shiny new seeker. Had the broom been for Longbottom, it probably would have knocked him out.

He continued to watch with casual disinterest as the boy lowered himself back into his seat, clutching the package in his hands as his two friends leaned in to get a better look. The redhead and the know-it-all. Nothing new.

Severus Snape could not believe the look of confusion on the boy’s face. Even before it was unwrapped, it was fairly obvious what was inside, given its shape. Even a fully grown mountain troll could have worked it out.

The potions master busied himself with his breakfast, watching only from the corner of his eye as the three children began to unwrap the package.

Finally, its contents were revealed, and the Weasley boy looked more excited than the broom’s recipient himself.

Severus Snape could not believe how well Harry Potter resembled a trout in that moment, as he stared at the broom with his mouth hanging open and a vacant expression across his face.

And when the boy eventually managed to pull himself together, his next move was inevitable: he began to search the room for any trace of his mystery benefactor.

After a moment, his eyes fell upon his head of house and the ghost of a smile crossed his lips.

With a small nod of her head, Minerva McGonagall smiled back.

And Severus Snape could not believe how easy it had been to convince the witch to take the credit for the gift. 

The End.