Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Interlude 2- Justice

Having walked the children to the bus stop and seen them safely on their way to the swimming pool (with the admonition to stay within sight of the lifeguard), Petunia walked upstairs and looked Harry’s owl in the eye.

“Right, Casper. You are to take this note to Severus Snape, got it?”

Casper blinked at her, then slowly held out a scaly leg.

 Wincing slightly, Petunia tied her note onto the owl’s leg, testing that it was not too tight with a fingernail.

“Off you go” She opened the window “And be snappy, or else the boys will return before he gets here! And I’ll give you some mince just as soon as you get back.”

Casper took off, flapping her downy white wings. In a way, Casper had been a good choice- the owl was like a ghost when she flew and- thankfully- was friendly to both boys. However, it did seem an insult to call any female by a man’s name- even if that female didn’t give two hoots provided she was well fed.

As she waited, Petunia absentmindedly wiped down the kitchen- it was already spotless but the cleanliness of her rooms was the one thing that Petunia had always been able to control, so cleaning was part comforting habit, part nervous tic. She had a sense that Severus had something very important to say, which would affect their lives one way or another.

For one ridiculous moment, Petunia wondered whether he was going to ask her out. She laughed: even without their history, even without Lily or even the whole ‘magic’ thing, they were really too similar to ever manage to get on for longer than an afternoon- both sharp and sarcastic, both quick to anger and slow to forgive and both too fond of their own space. With Vernon, it had not been a problem; wrapped up in his own job and blind to that which he did not want to see, with equally well insulated friends (who scarcely ever came to the house, being business associates), Petunia’s eye rolls and snarky comments had not been noticed and her free time was almost unlimited. Snape, on the other hand, had eyes in the back of his friend, had several months of holiday a year and his best friend was a family man above all else. Anyone could see that idea was a monumentally daft one. Besides, he wasn’t her type and she wasn’t his, that was for certain. Petunia spitefully flicked a bit of dust off a china shepherdess; for all his deficiencies as a potential boyfriend, Snape wouldn’t have made a bad brother in law, damn Lily. And the boys could have done with a decent role model; someone who didn’t have to shove their own importance down your throat before they got off their backsides and actually did something useful.

Petunia looked down at her arm, bare of the sleeves which she would once have used to disguise the scarring. Her summer dress felt lovely and cool.

There was a knock at the door.

Shaking off her thoughts, Petunia ushered Severus in and, after offering tea- which was politely refused- sat down.

“Now, what’s this all about.”

Severus steepled his long fingers, breathing deeply “I believe you must have heard of our tradition, the Two Godfathers? I do not believe that Draco could have resisted telling you about his fathers transformation.”


Petunia smiled “Yes, I believe the boys all found it very impressive”

Severus continued gravely “As you may have already concluded, Lucius and I are not, in actuality, Harry’s real godfathers.”

Petunia nodded “Well, it doesn’t surprise me really. I don’t think James would have agreed to either of you, prejudiced as he was against slytherins.”

Smiling slightly at Petunia’s growing familiarity with that which, once, she would have avoided at all costs, Severus found himself saying “Lily actually asked me. I thought it best to decline. His other godfather, you see…” Severus licked his lips “I had actually prepared myself to speak to you about his other godfather- for quite different reasons. You see, Lucius- despite his political manovering- has actually become quite fond of Harry. Draco’s affection is guileless, of course- the boy could not deceive if his life depended upon it. That too, was a consideration.” Severus smiled wryly “I perhaps would be better to start from the beginning.”


Petunia nodded

“Since Draco was a young child, his father has worried about him. You see, Lucius had a younger brother, Dantalion, more often known as Danny. He, like Draco, was open, affectionate and quick to take offence. Danny, like Draco, was also fearless and stubborn- it must have been sheer determination that got him into Slytherin. He was a born Gryffindor.”

“He was killed?”

“Yes. The Dark Lord, when he was still sane, was clever enough to keep everyone in their proper place- the financiers earned him money, the politicians persuaded people to his cause, the playboys- like Danny- made contacts and the, shall we say, less salubrious roles were provided to those who would enjoy them and tactfully hidden from those who would find them distasteful.”

 Severus sighed “We were young fools. I enjoyed spying as much as I did potions- it gave me a thrill- and the Dark Lord was quick to praise my efforts, eager to teach me new skills and, yes, very capable of emphasising the glamour of my role to my contemporaries- not just a master potioneer but a first class spy. I did not see the effect of my spying- I think I was almost able to convince myself that there were no real consequences- the Dark Lord just wished to know what was going on.”

“Then Lily..?”

“No, it was before that point. The Dark Lord had been behaving erratically, shall we say, for a few months. He was becoming increasingly paranoid, increasingly demanding. It was just after I told him about the prophesy that we were shown what our happy band was really all about.”

Petunia swallowed.

“He summoned us all to a small village. There was a family, muggles with two magical children. I shall not go into details. Suffice to say that, when the Dark Lord gave the order, Danny challenged him. Thankfully Lucius was not present, he was at the Ministry’s pleasure, so to speak- a colleague had intercepted a message to him which was sufficiently incriminating to raise an enquiry. It probably saved his life, as much as Lucius resented it- got the chap shunted into misuse of muggle artifacts.”

Severus sighed “I am getting away from the point. Danny was killed- a lesson to all of us who were unwilling to submit to the Dark Lord or participate in violence. Lucius, at that time, had a child on the way and a lovely young wife. It was bitter, but he too accepted the mask and dark mark- a tattoo with which the Dark Lord branded his followers. Not that Lucius did not quietly take his revenge on Dolohov, the psychopath who actually cast the killing curse on Danny; that colleague, the one who had intercepted the message, was furious that Lucius had wriggled out and tried to find more dirt on him- Lucius subtly raised the man’s suspicions regarding Dolohov and, in turn, he set his brothers in law- who were aurors- on Dolohov’s trail.”

After a long silence, Petunia said “I never imagined…”

Severus shook his head “Lucius is a man of many faces; he hides behind one façade or another but one thing is certain, he loves his family and does not wish to see another war. He does not want to lose Draco too.”

Severus exhaled deeply “Harry was the catalyst; Lucius has decided to break any hope the Dark Lord has of coming to power.”

Petunia paled “But… isn’t he dead?!”

“He was killed but the Dark Mark… it is essentially a slavery tattoo, designed by the goblins- originally- and it should have disappeared upon his death.” Severus pulled aside his sleeve.

Petunia looked at the ugly, serpent and skull shaped mark, a faded grey.

“Why on earth did he mark his followers so… obviously?”

“He believed himself invincible” Severus replied heavily “He was certain of victory in months- the Dark Lord was only waiting to remove his possible vanquisher before he set into motion his plans regarding a military coup of the Ministry. When he was at the helm, every man woman and child would bear the mark- or bear the consequences!”

Petunia shivered.

“Lucius has spoken to the remaining members of the inner circle and various supporters who would have been conducted into the inner circle if events had not unfolded in the way they did. It is safe to say that those who were loyal to the Dark Lord either died in his service or were sent to prison in the following years, so Lucius was pretty certain that the men he took into his confidence were ready to denounce the Dark Lord if the opportunity ever arose” Severus quirked a smile “It did not exactly hinder matters that their fear of a dead Dark Lord scarcely outweighed the financial inconvenience Lucius could put them to if they proved unaccommodating.”


“And what of those in Azkaban, is it? What if they get out?!”

“Lucius is going to have them killed.” Severus said bluntly “He is not going to risk the Dark Lord having any support, if he were to return. That is why I am here.”

Petunia looked bemused “I don’t have a dark mark, Severus.”

“No, you have Harry and Harry has a godfather. Do you remember the man who raised his wand against your father?”

Petunia nodded, her lips tight.

“He was the Potter’s first secret keeper; a spell was cast so that the Dark Lord could not find them unless Sirius Black, that was his name, told him where they were. We thought, we all believed that he had betrayed them. Black said as much- told all and sundry that it was his fault- and he was imprisoned without a trial.”

Petunia’s eyes narrowed “What really happened.”

“Do you remember a short, fat man- a friend of Potter… I mean James?”

Petunia nodded “He was slimy.”

“Black convinced James to switch secret keepers, to give the job to Peter Pettigrew. He betrayed them, Lily and James. Then, when Black tracked him down, he… well, it was said that Black blew him up- along with half a street of muggles. However, given that only two fingers were found and that Black, however much of a bully he may have been, however reckless…”

“He wouldn’t have killed innocent people to get to Pettigrew?” Petunia asked

“No, I honestly do not think so.”

“So you want me to look out for him? Pettigrew I mean. In case he comes near Harry.”

Severus nodded “Yes, he may not appear as he was- look out for anyone missing an index finger. Such injuries cannot be healed by magic- not when they have been cursed off.”

“What about animals? Can he change like Lucius?”

Severus paused “That is a very good question. One has to be registered but there are illegal animagi.”

“I’ll keep my eyes peeled. What should I tell the boys? If there’s a murderer about, they should know who to avoid.”

Severus looked thoughtful- his serene expression belied by the clenching and unclenching of his fists.

“What do we do about Black? Harry is going to want to know who he is looking out for, what the man actually did. And even if we fob him off- the people in the photographs… he will find out and when Pettigrew is caught, Black will be set at liberty in any case… unless Pettigrew is killed quietly.”

Petunia licked her suddenly dry lips “The matter of justice.”

Severus looked her in the eye “Petunia, the choice has to be yours. Black will want to see Harry but we both know his faults- or what they were before he was imprisoned; he was arrogant, reckless, naive and a bully, with a streak of cruelty towards Slytherins.” Severus swallowed “He was also loyal and unquestionably brave. However, Azkaban… do you remember what I told you about the dementors?”

“What you told Lily and I accidentally on purpose overheard?” Petunia said tartly “Yes, terrible things. You said they drove people mad by taking away all their happy thoughts.”

The sentence hung heavily.

“He has been there for almost ten years, Petunia.”

Petunia dragged her hands down her face. “God, Severus.”

“Indeed.”

Petunia took a deep breath “This Dumbledore, could he get Black discharged into a psychiatric ward- make him see a shrink?”

“I believe he could.”

“And they would not let him out until he was normal?”

“Black will never be normal but St Mungos would not let out a man who could be a danger to himself or others.”

“I don’t want Harry turned into a miniature James. He’s a good boy but easily influenced by people who are nice to him. I just want him to be Harry.”

Severus looked at Petunia “I will tell Dumbledore, on the condition that Black is to be given proper psychiatric care. I will make him give me a blood oath if necessary.”

“And the boys?”

“Tell them as much as you think they are ready to know” Severus quirked a smile “It is a cop out, I know, but you know them and what they are ready to hear.”

As Severus stood up to leave, Petunia asked “What happened to Harry’s other godfather, the one that Lily chose.”

“It would be best to say he died. You see, he left behind a son of Harry’s age- a child born in July. The Dark Lord, you see, had two choices of ‘vanquisher’ and, although he intended to kill both that Halloween, he chose Harry first.” Severus swallowed “When certain of the Dark Lord’s supporters discovered that their Lord was missing, they paid a visit to the parents of the other child, who were aurors. They were tortured into insanity. They are still at St Mungos.”

Petunia shuddered “And the child? Was he okay?”

“I don’t believe there was any sign that harm had been done to him?”

Petunia’s eyes narrowed “that torture curse doesn’t leave a mark, you said. Did they check the child for, I don’t know, brain or nerve damage? You wizard don’t seem to look for obvious things.” She finished scornfully.

Severus blinked “I do not know, I could raise it with Albus.”

Petunia snorted “This Albus Dumbledore doesn’t seem to have his finger on the pulse, much. Are you sure he’s not senile?”

“Senile, no. I believe he simply… perhaps it’s just that he does not have a suspicious mind, nor does he understand the depths to which the children he taught would sink; he would not have even considered that Pettigrew would fake his own death, nor that anyone would… torture a toddler.”

“He knew about my parents’ cat” Petunia said darkly “Found it wandering, just after, and gave it to me.” Petunia’s mouth twisted “It had nerve damage, brain damage the lot. Would have been kinder just to have killed the poor thing, rather than let me take it to the vet and find out what a mess it was inside. Had to have it put down. It would have killed my mother, seeing it tortured. She loved that cat.”

Severus’ shoulders slumped “I am sorry.”

Petunia patted him awkwardly on the shoulder “Wasn’t your fault- prophesy or no prophesy- it was the bastards that did it.”

There was a ringing at the doorbell “I better go” Severus said quietly “Thank you, Petunia.”

“Take care of yourself, Severus. And don’t fret about Lucius’ plans. They deserve it. Each and every one of them.”

Severus smiled sadly “You would have made a fine Slytherin. That is, perhaps, why I went to you for advice. Someone who could see the problems, who would appreciate what the decision meant, rather than just labelling it right or wrong.”

“And someone who also had been an awful brat of a child and had a second chance.” Petunia added, as Severus stepped out of the room. She opened the door to two smiling faces.

“They’ve got a chip vending machine- it’s wicked!”

“Chips? How on earth do they do that!”

“I think they’ve got a fryer in the machine, the chips are so hot and yummy!”

“I spent all of my pocket money!” said Dudley happily

“So I expect you don’t want tea?!”

“Oh, no. We are still really hungry. Is there some birthday cake left? We could have it with ice cream!” Harry replied.

Smiling slightly in the shadows, Severus disapperated.