Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Minerva returns!

WARNING: Violence has been added as a warning as of this chapter - skip section two if necessary.
A bottle of clouds
No, don't! I already told you!” she heard the woman cry. “Told me? And I'm suppose to believe that? I'm supposed to believe anything?” replied the man. “Please! At least let me..” But the begging was cut short. “NO! I'm not letting him touch MY CHILD! He's not taking anything else! After everything he's done! After everything YOU'VE done! I cannot...” roared the other voice. “Don't do this! Can't we talk... No! At least... Listen!” Sounds of a struggle were heard through the grey clouds. “I'm through listening to you! I trusted you and you did this to me! I'm not going to let you ruin this!” The woman clearly moved closer as her voice became louder: “I can't tell you enough how sorry I am, but don't do this! It's insane!” The male followed her. “Or what? You'll run to him will you? And you'll take the baby? Don't you think I know? He'll kill you! Yes, he will! He's one of them, Lily! And you... It's disgusting!”

Harry woke up covered in sweat and fighting to catch her breath. The nightmare was fading but the emotions remained. She fought to release herself from the blanket which she had become entangled with and finally managed to kick it partially off herself. Where was she? She rubbed her eyes and felt so terribly tired. If it wasn't too late in the day perhaps she could sleep a little more? She opened her eyes. Why was she in her new room? She could have sworn she went to bed in her cupboard? No, wait, Snape was there wasn't he? Or was that a dream? Then her eyes fell on her desk were a single glass of water stood and Harry stared at it – trying to remember what had happened. Suddenly the nightmare didn't seem as horrible anymore when she realized Snape had seen her cupboard!



One might imagine Petunia Dursley's thoughts when she went downstairs to wake Harry and have her begin breakfast and she found the cupboard empty and the living room door closed. She called out for the girl a few times as loudly as she dared, trying not to wake her husband, son and her childhood acquaintance. Curious she opened the door to the living room and entered expecting to find her niece where she wasn't allowed. Instead she froze to the spot when she saw a large black figure in one of her armchairs. Snape's eyes were wide open and dead as he starred at the empty space in front of him. He looked pale even for his usual pasty self and the dark circles under his eyes betrayed a sleepless night.

“Snape?” Petunia called in surprise.

Just then the figure flew out of the chair and turned towards her. Within seconds an ebony wand was pointed at her chest and the black eyes were once again alive and filled with rage.

What did you do?” he hissed as he advanced upon her.

Petunia raised her hands in a defensive stance and staggered backwards into the hallway until she bumped into the stairs.

“Snape! I... What are you doing?” she shrieked.

“What am I doing? What are you doing? Just how long did you keep her in that cupboard?” Snape roared.

Sounds could now be heard on the first floor as people were alerted by Severus' voice. Petunia was trembling. This was exactly what they had been afraid of when Snape and the witch arrived.

“S...Severus... Please... Y...You don't understand!”

“What the bloody hell is going on!?” yelled Vernon as he thundered down the stairs in his pajamas and came upon the scene.

“Understand? Understand?” hissed Snape. “Do you have any excuse? Any at all? How dare you!”

“Get away from my wife!” cried Vernon as he pounced on Snape.

The taller man swiftly stepped out of the way as Vernon proceeded straight into the wall. He turned to face Snape again only to be knocked down onto the floor as Severus' fist connected with his jaw.

“Dad!” squealed the miniature whale as he ran down the stairs and Snape looked up to see him roughly pushing Potter aside as she'd made her way to the top of the staircase.

As black eyes met green the blaze of fury lessened and he stepped back from the uncle who was muttering something indistinct. The girl was wearing the same oversized shirt she had been sleeping in that night and she stood there starring at the scene. Her eyes were wide and her mouth open.

“Snape? Snape! I understand that you might be angry but you have to understand that we only did what we had to do! She was...” cried Petunia as she slid over to the cousin and prevented him from reaching his father.

“Silence! Before I do something we'll both regret!” sneered Snape. “And you,” he continued as he looked over at Vernon who was now slowly rising. “You attack me again and you'll spend the rest of your life as a slug!”

He looked up to see a terrified Potter turn and run back into her room. Oh, Merlin's beard, now you've truly messed things up, Severus! Where were your shields? The uncle had gotten to his feet and was glaring at Snape. His face was red and the things he was muttering completely incoherent. Snape took at moment to get his emotions under control before he spoke:

“I knew you to be a cold woman, Petunia, but I had at least hoped the years had improved you and that you would do your duty by your niece.”

“My duty? My duty? Weren't you listening yesterday? She was never ours to shelter! I took her in believing to be soon rid of her! But instead we were stuck with her!”

“I'm not interested in your excuses,” sneered Snape.

“We did all we could! She's a freak! Worse than Lily ever was!”

Within seconds Snape's wand was pointed at Petunia's forehead. The boy screamed and ran up the the stairs and Vernon staggered towards his wife.

“Don't you ever refer to her in that way,” Snape hissed and added: “Or Potter.”

“You come in here threatening us and we are just expected to take it?” growled Vernon.

“That would appear to be the smarter move on your part,” smirked Snape.

“You can't hurt us!” cried Petunia.

“I can hurt you in ways you could not imagine!” replied Snape with an ominous calmness. “But you may reassure your idiot of a son that I have no intention of torturing him. You may consider this while I see to your niece.”

Snape turned away from the trembling muggles and proceeded up the stairs.




Harry was rocking herself slowly. She was seated on her bed with her legs pulled up to her chest. This was all so unreal! She was pretty sure the Dursleys were going to kill her now! After all Snape had actually hit uncle Vernon! She wasn't entirely sure why they were arguing so but she knew it was about her and therefore it was her fault. What was going on? Was this because of what Petunia had said? Suddenly she heard someone outside the door.

Oh, no!

But when the door opened it was neither her aunt nor her uncle. It was Snape and in fact she wasn't actually sure whether this was better or worse. He stood there in the entrance and looked her over for a moment before he nodded and closed the door behind him.

“Potter, as to what happened downstairs,” he began.

“It was about me wasn't it?” she said, cutting him off.

He frowned at her for the interruption before continuing.

“Last night I found you in a cupboard. Would you like to explain to me in your own words how you came to be there?”

Harry looked away. So this was what it was all about? She hadn't been sure whether she'd dreamed that until she saw the water on her table. Why would Snape argue with her relatives over that? Sure, he'd been upset about the bars on her window but there were no bars on any windows in the cupboard. In fact she was still surprised he hadn't simply ridiculed her over it. But while both he and McGonagall had been displeased they had done nothing but voice their displeasure. This time she had actually seen Snape not only punch her uncle but keep her aunt at wandpoint.

“It's nothing,” she mumbled.

“Potter. I have already seen it and I am fairly certain I already know what it is. What I want is to hear it from you.”

Harry couldn't stop herself. Why did he have to keep sticking his big nose in everything? Everything was going to be so much worse after he left! The Dursleys would lock her away forever! She grabbed her pillow and hurled it across the room, missing Snape's shoulder by less than an inch.

“Just stay out of it! It's none of your business!” she cried, tears beginning to run down her cheeks.

Snape's face fell into a furious scowl but instead of hexing her he picked up the pillow and walked over to her.

“I don't believe that was necessary,” he said with a low voice that sent chills down Harry's spine.

“You're making it worse,” Harry sobbed and hid her face in her hands.

Snape placed the pillow next to her and sat down on the bed.

“I cannot help you if you do not tell me,” he replied.

“Why? Why do you care?” cried Harry.

“If things are as they seem you live in inadequate conditions. Conditions that no child should be familiar with. Professor McGonagall will arrive at noon and I would like to be able to tell her of what I have observed with greater accuracy.”

“You're going to tell her?” Harry said as she looked up at the man.

“I must. Now, you slept in the cupboard, correct?”

Harry nodded.

“Verbal answer, please.”

“Yes, sir.”

“And when were you moved into this room?” Snape continued.

“This summer when I came home from Hogwarts,” Harry replied.

She couldn't believe she was actually saying this but if Snape was going to tell McGonagall either way the best she could do was keep him from making assumptions.

“I don't understand why you didn't know anyway. It was on the letters!” she sneered.

“Hmm,” said Snape frowning slightly at her tone. “A magical quill writes the letters. Speaking of letters, why did you not reply to yours?”

“As if they would let me!” cried Harry. “I couldn't even read it!”

“Calm down, Potter! Now, that is enough for now. I suggest you get dressed and come down for breakfast. It's already 9 o'clock.”

With that the man rose and left the room. Harry was left there with her mouth open. What was she supposed to make of this? She'd seen Snape more furious than ever before yet now he had seemed completely unaffected by everything? What was that all about? Harry considered this as she moved to the closet and slowly changed her close into a different version of what she had worn yesterday. Vernon had attacked him. Perhaps Petunia had said something to provoke him? He couldn't have been that angry over the same issue he had just discussed with such calm could he? No, he'd seemed much more annoyed with her than angry about the treatment of her! Was this another one of those situations where adults did things not because they wanted to but because they had to? He hadn't seemed thrilled about coming here but she understood why her professors had felt they had to when they'd discovered her secret. This must be such a thing. He didn't really care. He just had to do this.



Severus exhaled when the door closed behind him. He had managed to get himself under control and appear calm to the girl as he knew his emotions would only upset her further. He knew perfectly well what that she must be feeling embarrassed by this. He wouldn't have liked it any less if someone had accidentally discovered that he... No, it was much better if she told her own story. That way she could at least feel it was partly her decision.

Now he had a completely different problem to deal with – her relatives. Severus proceeded down the stairs and found that they had left the hallway. He walked into the kitchen were he found all three of them . The son clearly having dared to come down when he had been speaking to Potter. Petunia was making breakfast with vacant eyes, Vernon was sitting on a stool holding a bag of frozen peas against his chin. The boy was standing near his mother snatching bacon of a plate.

“I see you have begun,” Severus mumbled, startling mother and son.

Vernon simply sneered at him but he was clearly not brave enough to attack him again. There was a smaller dining table in the kitchen which Severus assumed was in use only in the morning rush as it only had two stools. The uncle was sitting there with a cup of coffee.

“Breakfast will be ready soon,” stated Petunia in a small voice.

Snape snorted at that. By the looks of it the boy ate the food at the same speed Petunia could cook it. None the less he looked over at the boy and said:

“Then I suggest you help your mother by setting the table, young Mr Dursley.”

The boy grimaced and looked over to his father who seemed to ignore them all before he replied:

“No, that's Harry's job!”

“Well, today it will be yours. Your cousin did it last night,” said Snape matter-of-factly.

“No! Mum! Tell him I don't have to do it!” he cried to Petunia.

“Just do it, Dudders,” said Petunia in an exhausted voice.

The boy quickly left the room and Snape elegantly moved aside to avoid being trampled but to his annoyance the boy didn't head for the dining room but disappeared up the stairs instead. He wasn't really surprised that the boy did few or no chores, having seen the boy's room, but still he was astonished how the boy had just ignored his mother and fled. He turned to face the parents. They remained silent for a while and Snape had no objection to that as the less they said the less likely he was to hex them. He'd lost his temper completely this morning and he was in no way proud of that. A night of thoughts had torn down his defenses and seeing Petunia there that morning had triggered him. He should have gone about this in a controlled manner but he had felt a knot in his stomach that morning. A ball of anger that wasn't only directed towards Petunia and her husband but someone else as well. Someone I had best not think about! Just then he heard footsteps on the stairs. He first thought it might be the boy having reconsidered his actions but the footsteps were much too light. He turned to find Potter coming downstairs. She was wearing clothes that weren't in any way better than those she had worn the day before. Severus frowned at that. He'd seen those clothes in the closet.

“Good morning,” said the girl timidly as she entered the kitchen.

Both Dursleys ignored her but Snape returned her greeting. The girl walked over to her aunt and began helping her with the cooking. Just then Petunia paused. She glanced back at Snape who was standing there, his face an emotionless mask.

“Eh.. Harry... Maybe you shouldn't do that today,” she said.

The girl looked up at her in confusion. Snape was about to say that surely it was okay for her to help but then the girl said:

“Okay, I'll set the table then.”

“I've already asked your cousin to do that,” said Snape.

The girl gave him a questioning look before she left the kitchen. Severus followed her into the dining room where she was taking out plates.

“You shouldn't do what has been asked of your cousin,” Snape continued.

“I don't mind. Besides I always do this.”

Snape decided to leave the girl to it for now. He went to sit down in the living room until Petunia called from the hallway that breakfast was ready and he heard the boy coming down the stairs. He got up and entered the dining room to find that once again the girl had set the table for four people. He wanted to point it out but no one was in there but the cousin and he wasn't much use. Vernon entered followed by Petunia and Potter who were both carrying the food. They placed it all upon the table and as the others sat Potter once again made to leave.

“Boy, go get a plate for your cousin!” demanded Snape.

The girl turned around and looked every bit as mortified as her cousin. Petunia was looking at her son with pleading eyes and her husband was glaring at his niece.

“Harry... dear... You seem to have forgotten your plate,” Petunia said with sweetly.

“Oh,” said the girl and moved towards the table.

“Dudley, please,” Petunia continued and motioned for Dudley to obey the order.

“Mum, stop it! Why do I have to do this? And why does she suddenly get to eat with us?”

Severus nearly choked on his coffee and Petunia looked as though she was about to have a stroke. Surprisingly, the first to speak was Vernon who stood up slowly, keeping eye contact with Snape and holding up his hands.

“I'll get it. I'll get it.”

Petunia waved the girl over the stool that still stood there from the night before. Snape considered carefully whether he should say something. She wasn't allowed to eat with them? He looked to Potter for confirmation but the girl was staring at the plate her uncle had placed in front of her. Snape returned his attention to the coffee. It was best to wait for Minerva.

After breakfast the girl returned to her room. Snape had considered speaking to her but she left before he could get a chance. The son left the house to meet up with some friends and Vernon relocated to the living room while Petunia cleared the table. Severus was getting impatient. He finally decided to spent the next two hour pacing in the dining room – though he was very tempted to go outside and ruin a bit more of Petunia's garden.



Shortly after noon came a knock on the front door. Severus went into the hallway and was met by Petunia who had also come to investigate. She was wearing an apron and still wet rubber gloves. She nodded at Snape before opening the door to reveal a woman in a long green coat.

“Good afternoon, Mrs Dursley, Severus!” Minerva smiled weakly.

It was quite evident that she hadn't gotten much rest either. However, the smile faded as soon as she saw Petunia's fearful face. As she entered, she glanced at Snape, hoping his face would betray something but as usual it did not.

“Minerva, will you join me in the dining room before we fetch Potter? There is something we must discuss,” said Snape and Petunia saw this as her opportunity for escape.

“Indeed,” agreed the witch as she saw the woman disappear into the kitchen and Minerva then followed her colleague into the dining room.

“I take it everyone is still alive?” said McGonagall as the took a seat at the dining table.

“Regrettably,” replied Severus. “Minerva, you asked me to stay here because you were harboring suspicion of the Dursleys, did you not?”

“Of course,” confirmed Minerva and looked closely at Snape.

“I have some additional information. It has come to my attention that the girl was living in the cupboard under stairs until her return this summer. I've seen it myself and the girl confirmed it.”

Minerva went pale.

“Severus, are you quite sure?”

“I saw her crawl out of it myself! She returned to it last night and gave up her room for me. I suggest you take a look inside the cupboard yourself. The aunt didn't deny it either when I... confronted her this morning.”

“Severus, what did you do?” asked Minerva, remembering the look on Petunia's face.

“Surprisingly nothing. I may have lost my temper but they remain unharmed. In addition I have reason to believe the girl has never eaten with her relatives before and they have been trying to conceal this fact from me while I have been here.”

“This is... This is unsettling to say the least,” supplied Minerva. “Are you certain they feed her? She seems so small?”

“I couldn't be sure. They have while I was present, though she eats next to nothing and since I have seen them conceal other matters from me I cannot know what is the norm in this house. I would ask you to speak to the girl and see whether she will tell you more.”

Minerva nodded.

“And so I shall. However, first there are other matters to discuss. I have received word from an old friend who claims his relative knows how to contact Flamel. I shall be visiting them later today and hope for the best.”

“I had hoped you would replace me,” said Severus.

“I cannot and if things truly are as you suspect, you must agree we cannot leave her with them.”

“You cannot bring her to Hogwarts?”

“And remove her from the bloodwards? After what happened with Quirinus do you really think the castle will be safe for her without Albus there? And where will we house her? Not to mention, she cannot walk around the castle as she is now! We would have to replace the glamours and I wish not to take any such action unless she should wish it so.”

“Speaking of glamours, the girl's vision has improved with its removal,” added Snape.

“You mean she can see? Curious. But Severus I need you to stay until we either get into contact with Albus or I or Poppy can take over.”

“Will you at least stay an hour or two so that I may return to the castle and change robes?”

“I can do that. Now, you must show me that cupboard.”

Severus nodded and rose from his chair. He went into the hallway followed by Minerva and opened the cupboard. The elderly witch knelt down as best she could and looked into the small room. She remained silent for a while and Snape was beginning to worry. Then she suddenly spoke:

“How long did you say?” Her voice was broken and when she rose, Snape could see her eyes watering.

“Until she began at Hogwarts,” he replied.

“I want to see her now,” said Minerva and began to move past Snape.

She stopped when she saw Vernon standing in the entrance to the living room. He was watching her closely. Severus moved over to the kitchen door and called for Petunia.

“Would you kindly bring your niece downstairs,” he sneered.

Moments later Petunia came down the stairs followed by Potter. The girl was looking morose as she descended but as soon as she saw Minerva her eyes lit up.

“Professor! You came back!” she cried as she ran down the last few steps.

“Of course! I promised to, didn't I?” McGonagall smiled. “How are you feeling?”

The girl paused and looked around at the spectators.

“I'm okay,” she replied.

“Good, why don't you join us in the living room?”

Minerva turned and moved past Vernon who flew aside to avoid touching her. Severus, Potter and Petunia followed her in. McGonagall took at seat on the couch and gestured for Potter to join her. Severus and Petunia remained standing.

“First things first,” mumbled Minerva and searched her bag.

She pulled out a small bottle filled with what appeared to be a grey potion. Snape paled. He had completely forgotten about that.

“Mrs Dursley,” Minerva said with audible contempt in her voice. “May I borrow a needle?”

Petunia nodded and moved over to one of the cabinets where she removed a small sewing kit. She handed it to Minerva who removed a needle and uncorked the bottle.

“Your hand, Harry,” she smiled and reached for the girl's hand but the child pulled back and whimpered slightly.

Snape sighed and moved to one of the armchairs before holding out his hand to Minerva. She nodded her gratitude and pierced the skin on his finger with the needle. Soon a small drop of blood appeared and Severus dropped it into the potion. He was a little disappointed to see that it was exactly the right shade of grey.

“Come on, Harry. It won't hurt!” Minerva said. “We'll do it now and then it will be over.”

Snape looked over at the girl and was surprised to find her glaring at him. He couldn't think of any reason she had to be upset with him right now. Surely, this was equally surreal to both of them. Slowly she held out her hand to Minerva who proceeded to poke her as well. McGonagall then tapped the girl's finger on the bottle causing a drop of blood to fall.

“Now we wait,” mumbled Severus.

“What's going to happen?” inquired Petunia.

“It will remain grey if there is no relation or distant relation. It will turn a dark rosa if there is a fairly close connection like cousins or half siblings. Red means either siblings or parent and child,” replied Snape, though he was informing Potter just as much as Petunia.

And so, the four of them remained there in silence and watched as the potion slowly turned a vivid red.
Chapter End Notes:
Up next: Dealing with the result