Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Someone loses a discussion
Night clouds
Harry hadn't been alone for long before her uncle stormed up the stairs. At first she was afraid but as soon as he hit the barrier his desire to enter left him. Later that night Dudley attempted to enter but found himself unable to. It ended in him throwing a fit. Aunt Petunia didn't show at all. Harry eventually felt safe enough to curl up in her bed.

The next morning came and Harry was feeling anxious. She crept out of her room just long enough to go to the bathroom but quickly returned. It was better to wait there until McGonagall returned was it not? There was a knock on the door later on and Harry opened it to find a tray with a glass of water and a few pieces of toast. There was nothing on the bread but Harry didn't complain. Petunia had actually brought her breakfast? Noon came and went and so did Harry's good mood. When was McGonagall coming? Would she not be here until evening? A little voice in the back of her mind whispered: See? I told you! They were lying. And you were stupid enough to fall for it. No, McGonagall would come! She had promised to come! She just had to be patient. She is not coming. She doesn't care about you. They just wanted to fulfill their duty. They tried didn't they? And now you're no longer their problem! They said they would not let Dumbledore decide! They said they would do something! They are coming to take her away. She said she would be here didn't she? Do you really believe they are keeping their promises?

Now it was early morning. Harry was sitting on the floor in her room. She hadn't slept at all. She had stayed awake and waited. She prayed over and over again that she was just delayed and would come and prove Harry's suspicions wrong. She hadn't been abandoned here. Yes, you have! Her eyes were red and cheeks moist. She rose and looked out through the bars. There were no stars out tonight. The nightsky was covered with thick grey clouds. She remembered the tree in the playground and wished she could be there now. High above everything and everyone. By association her thoughts moved to Snape and the conversation she had had with him there. Snape was liar. No surprise there. But why did it hurt so much? He wasn't the one who had promised to arrive but still she felt that him abandoning her here was the worst offense. Was it because of what he said to Dumbledore? Was it because of how he had offered to take her himself? Granted, she would have fought that with teeth and nails. He hated her! He did and he still had offered that just to take her away. Someone that committed to removing her should have made McGonagall come and see her or seen her himself shouldn't he? He had asked her to be patient. What was she supposed to do? Wait here for them for eternity? Once a liar, always a liar.

Well, she wouldn't wait here forever! One more day that's all they'd get!



Early the next morning after the meeting in Albus Dumbledore's office three people met in one of the greenhouses. Out of the three Poppy Pomfrey was the only one looking somewhat human. She was already dressed in her uniform and her eyes were bright. Minerva was still wearing her bottle-green dressing gown though her hair was already up in a bun. The woman looked half awake and rather bitter. The third person was Severus who showed up in the same robes he had worn the night before and collapsed in his bed wearing. His greasy hair was messy and the dark circles under his eyes very noticeable. Where Poppy seemed well rested and Minerva seemed still asleep, Severus looked as though he hadn't even closed his eyes though he had in fact been sleeping throughout the night with the aid of a strong sleeping draught.

“Severus, are you well?” inquired Poppy.

Severus completely ignored her question. He wasn't about to have that discussion. He most certainly wasn't well! He had not only found out he had a daughter, but the love of his life had been imprisoned before her death, the Headmaster had kept information from him and the girl was living with abusive relatives and he was not permitted to do anything about it. He most certainly wasn't well! The only thing he could think of was how this was all his fault. Lily had waited for him. If only he had followed her when he had the chance, he would have known about the child and he would have been able to help Lily!

“We need to find a suitable place for her,” he said out of the blue.

“We have at least until next summer,” replied Minerva. “I think it much more important what we will do while she is here at Hogwarts.”

“No doubt you are thinking about my demanding a resorting?” sneered Severus and crossed his arms.

“She doesn't want to, Severus! She needs her friends now more than ever!” replied the lioness.

“If they are her friends they will continue to be. What she needs is to be where the Headmaster cannot control her. Slytherin is the house he has the least power over.”

“And why is that?” asked Pomfrey.

“I happen to run a house with some very involved and very vocal parents with high positions in society. If he began meddling with Slytherin affairs he would have to deal with them. He is not that dense. It would bring a huge amount of unwanted attention. Simply it being him would provoke them whereas the parents of the Gryffindors seem to worship the ground he walks on or at least think he can do no wrong.”

Minerva frowned at that.

“Severus, that is hardly fair!”

“But it is correct. Moving her out of Gryffindor would greatly benefit us.”

“Why not one of the other houses then?” asked Poppy.

“Why do something halfway?”

“Well, I suppose I can kiss the Quidditch cup goodbye then,” smiled Minerva sorrowfully.

“I will not pretend that isn't a welcomed bonus!” smirked Severus.

“I promised to come and see her today. She is going to be heartbroken!” continued Minerva.

“Wards or no wards! She hurt herself running away. I will go to Surrey and watch the house,” said Poppy.

“And what will you tell Albus?” inquired Minerva. “I too would go in a heartbeat but he will be watching us.”

“I do not trust her not to run away again,” stated Severus.

And so Albus Dumbledore found himself having a most peculiar day. Three of his staff members were currently to be watched closely. He couldn't honestly say he expected all of them to obey him. He was especially thinking of Severus who he knew to have a temper and he couldn't trust him not to act spontaneously if his emotions were in it. This was after all a man who had defected from the Dark Lord's ranks and dared to show up at his master's greatest enemy's office because he cared for Lily Evans. Severus might not care for Harry but the fact that this was his daughter should be enough to cause similar actions. Oddly enough he saw Severus several times during the day. The strange thing was that one of the three staff members always seemed to be off during something in some remote part of the castle. Dumbledore was no fool. He knew perfectly well what was going on but he did not have the energy to monitor them. There were more important things to consider.

Every hour Poppy, Minerva and Severus rotated and one of them discreetly left the ground to apparate to Surrey and watch the house. Near the end of the day Poppy was becoming visibly nervous. She was standing in the infirmary when Minerva came through the door.

“Your turn!” said Minerva.

“Did you see her yet?” inquired Poppy.

“No. I haven't seen her at all. I'm beginning to worry. She may be in her room. While I did think the wards necessary I certainly didn't hope she would truly need them.”

“If only she would come outside so she might see us,” said Poppy.

“I don't like to imagine what she must be thinking,” concluded Minerva.



It was evening on the second day and Petunia knocked on Harry's bedroom door. Harry could hear her aunt informing her that they would retire now before the woman left. The wards had caused quite a stir. Vernon had been furious, Dudley had considered it a challenge for him to catch her when she did go out and Petunia had completely ignored Harry. This effectively meant that the wards were as effective a confinement as the locks had ever been. Harry looked down at her arm where she now had a bruise from when Dudley pushed her halfway down the stairs as she was returning from the bathroom. She carefully traced it with her finger. She didn't exactly smell well at this point as she had only managed quick trips out of the room and only had time to wash her face and hands.

She waited until the house was quiet. In the shopping bags Petunia had brought home had been another pair of stockings, a red coat and another dress. Those objects were now in her closet alongside Dudley's old clothes which she had worn for the previous two days. She opened the closet door and looked at the dress. If possible it was worse that the green one. It was white and frilly with long lace sleeves. But the green dress was lying at the foot of the bed and had not been washed. Should she take her chances with the green one or Dudley's old clothes? She would either look homeless or smell like it. This garment was clean at least. Harry debated this with herself.

Everything Dudley had left her was full of holes – either from wear or because Dudley knew she would get them and had ripped them on purpose. She knew only too well how cold they were and she had no socks to go with them. They were all locked in the trunk in the cupboard. Hmm... At least the coat will cover it. Harry made a decision. She took out the dress, stockings and coat and placed them on the bed. Getting the stockings on proved to be the hardest part. Last time, Petunia had put them on her but this time she was all alone. In the end she did manage to rib them slightly in one leg but there was nothing for it. She put on the dress and the black shoes Petunia had gotten. Her sneakers were barely keeping from falling apart as it was.

She didn't have a mirror to look at herself in nor did she have any desire to. She put on the red coat and found it surprisingly warm. She found this was the only garment Petunia had bought that she actually liked. Perhaps she would not have chosen it herself but with the green dress and the threat of a life in Slytherin hanging over her head she felt so comfortable in that color. Perhaps it was foolish. This had never worked before. However, Harry felt so empty inside. She was restless. She could not bear to stay here, waiting forever for people who would not show up. It was much better to take matters into her own hands. She knew it would be difficult but she was certain she would manage somehow. At least until they caught her.

Harry carefully crawled down the stairs. She could hear uncle Vernon snoring and that was certainly a good sign. She had her blanket folded up under her arm. There was nothing else to take with her. Everything she owned was in her trunk. She had released Hedwig into the night that evening when the house elf visited. She had since seen the owl in the trees around the block but she hadn't allowed Hedwig to return to her cage as she could no longer send her out through the window and did not think the Dursleys would let her take her out. Therefore it was with a sigh of happiness that Harry noticed the white owl sitting on a branch in the neighbors peartree when she first stepped out through the door.

“Hey, girl,” she whispered and waved to the bird.

The bird gave her an accusing look and Harry suddenly felt very guilty that she had not spent more time with her. She had been so consumed with everything that was going on that she had completely forgotten. She walked closer to the bird. She was happy to know that Hedwig still recognized her. Of course she still smelled the same. She still was the same person. Nothing could really change her. Nothing would change her. She smiled at the bird. She knew Hedwig would follow her. Harry turned and walked through the front garden. She stepped onto the pavement and turned to get one last look at the bird but she was just in time to see Hedwig taking off into the night.

“What do you think you're doing?” said a voice behind her.

Harry's blood froze and the blanket fell to the ground. She knew that voice. But why? Why here? Why now? A small part of her was relieved. For a mere fraction of an instance she had feared the worst and expected a Death Eater. But then she recognized the low voice. She slowly turned around and looked up at the man. Immediately Snape reached out and grabbed her by the shoulders. His glare was potent. He was looking positively ready to murder her. Perhaps a Death Eater would have been better.

“Which part of 'don't do anything stupid' did you not understand?” asked the professor ominously.

The fear soon gave way to anger and Harry twisted her shoulders and managed to get out of Snape's grasp.

“Leave me alone!” she cried before realizing that waking up the street was not in her best interest.

“Where are you going?” continued Snape.

“None of your business,” muttered Harry and walked past him down the street.

She didn't make it more than a few steps before Snape reached out and grabbed her arm, pulling her back. She cried out when Snape's long fingers closed around the bruise on her arm and as soon as the sound escaped her lips he released her. He then took her hand.

“What is wrong with your arm? Are you hurt?” he asked.

“No,” she replied.

“Then why did you cry out?”

“It's nothing,” said Harry and tried to pry Snape's fingers off her hand.

“Don't lie to me. Did anyone hurt you?” demanded Snape sternly.

“Why do you care? Where were you all anyway?” hissed Harry as she finally manage to free her hand.

“I can perfectly understand that you may have questions and I promise you they will be answered eventually but right now you must be honest with me. I mean it. The truth now. Are you hurt?”

Harry studied the man. Why was he here? They had abandoned her! Why was he asking these questions and what right did he have to be cross with her? Well, he hadn't exactly been thrilled when last she ran away. It was just her luck! They leave her there for two days and just when she decides to leave he shows up. And why? Why did she feel so guilty when he looked at her liked that?

“It's just a bruise,” she mumbled.

“And how did you obtain it?”

“Dudley shoved me down the stairs,” she said quietly.

Snape sighed as if he was deeply exhausted.

“This ends here. Take my arm.”

What?” gasped Harry.

“You heard me. Take. My. Arm. Now.”

Snape held out his arm for her to take and Harry hesitated long enough to earn herself a particularly nasty glare. Still she eventually took his arm lightly only to have him roughly pull her closer. Then followed the most unpleasant sensation Harry had ever experienced. She felt like she was being crushed from every angle and then pulled into a thin string of spaghetti before she fell to the ground gasping for air. Shortly thereafter she felt her stomach rebel against the treatment and she retched. Her misery had lead to a loss of appetite so while Petunia had provided her with a bowl of cold canned tomato soup she hadn't much to throw up. She was lying on all fours gasping at the soiled grass when she felt a hand take hold of her upper arm and pull her up.

“W...What was that?” said Harry.

“Apparition,” stated Snape and began walking, dragging Harry along with him. “I take it this was your first time. It is common to feel... dizzy.”

Harry now noticed where they were. There, above her, was the castle. It looked strange to her. While there was still light shining through the windows, several parts were now dark. Probably the student dormitories and other parts not in use. She found it terribly hard to keep up with the professor. She could feel the anger radiating off of him but she didn't really understand why he was this upset. Sure she had broken her promise – but so had they! As they passed she saw lights were on in Hagrid's hut and she suddenly wished she could get out of Snape's grasp and run to visit Hagrid. She didn't get the chance however. Snape took her through the main entrance and into the entrance hall before he stopped and whispered:

“Tallen.”

Suddenly a small creature appeared. It looked rather like Dobby but with much longer ears and wearing a tea towel with the Hogwarts crest on it.

“Please, inform professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey that they are to meet me in the Headmaster's office immediately.

The creature bowed deeply and disappeared with a pop.

“Is that where we are going?” asked Harry.

“Indeed,” replied Snape and continued up the stairs.

Harry wasn't very pleased with being dragged around but it didn't annoy her as much as the prospect of seeing Dumbledore did. In fact, he was the person she least wanted to see. Snape didn't say a word until they arrived in front of the gargoyle.

“Butterscotch,” he sneered and the statue jumped aside.

Once they were on the stairs he finally turned to Harry and let her go.

“Remember what I told you. Say as little as possible. Do exactly as I say, when I say! However, it may serve us well should you keep that attitude and make your displeasure with the Headmaster obvious,” said Snape.

What? He was giving her permission, nay, asking her to appear upset? What was going on?

“I mean it. If I give you an order you do exactly as I say if you wish to leave your relatives' home.”

Confused, Harry nodded. She didn't know what to make of this and she didn't trust Snape one bit but she found that between Snape and Dumbledore she would choose to obey Snape in a heartbeat. She believed that Snape wished her removed from Privet Drive but she didn't trust him to truly fight for it. She knew Dumbledore wanted her to stay and she knew he would fight for that. At the moment, Snape was the lesser evil and Harry never thought she would say that about those two people.



He wasn't in any way sure that the girl would follow instructions but with this particular child he knew he could only hope for the best. Therefore, Severus turned and proceeded up to the door. Once there he knocked and waited until the door swung open by itself. He stepped inside and closed the door behind himself and the girl. The Headmaster was sitting at his desk with his usual grandfatherly twinkly which did nothing to calm Severus. Of course the old man had heard she was here as soon as Severus entered the castle with her.

“Severus, Harry, what a lovely surprise,” said Dumbledore and gave Severus a pointed look.

“I can't say I was expecting you, Harry. I was of the understanding that you would remain with you relatives for another day.”

Headmaster,” sneered Snape.

“And I am quite certain I asked you to remain at the castle, Severus. You can imagine my surprise to find you have been in Surrey this evening,” continued the Headmaster.

“And you should be thanking your lucky stars that I was!” yelled Severus, raising his voice. He didn't fail to notice the girl flinching as he did. “I warned you, Headmaster, I told you she would run away again!”

Dumbledore paused and shifted his attention to the girl.

“Harry, is this so? Did you leave the blood wards?”

The girl didn't answer. She simply glared at the old man, shrugged and rolled her eyes. Even though this behavior was exactly what Severus had asked of her, it bothered him to see it. He mentally reminded himself that her disrespect was useful to the situation and continued:

“Even you have to see that this isn't working! You send her back there and I can promise you she will be back out there on the street in a matter of hours!”

“What is...?” gasped Poppy as she and Minerva burst through the door.

“Harry!” cried Minerva and rushed to the girl's side where she placed a hand on her shoulder.

“The golden child ran away again,” Severus informed them both. “And not only that.”

“Severus, what is this?” asked Dumbledore.

“Remove you coat!” Severus ordered the girl.

She stared at him for a moment. Severus narrowed his eyes. She had better not have forgotten! But then she began unbuttoning the red coat. Minerva helped her pull it off and folded it over one of the chairs. Severus reached out and grabbed her right arm. He carefully pulled up the lacy sleeve of what he assumed was another one of Petunia's picks. The girl struggled a little against it at first but he held her hand firmly and continued. The bruise was larger than he had imagined. Clearly she had attempted to protect her head by breaking her fall with her arm.

“Oh no. Harry, how did this happen?” all but whispered Minerva.

“Her cousin did this,” Severus replied before the girl could reply. He was leaving out the detail that a staircase had assisted him in it on purpose. She was likely to have had other bruises before from more direct contact. “Is this your definition of 'safe', Headmaster? Because even you must be able to see that...”

“Severus, surely we will find a solution. This is completely unacceptable but she needs the blood wards. This is troubling. Perhaps I can,” interrupted Dumbledore.

“SHUT UP!”

Severus spun around. The Headmaster froze and Poppy stood there gaping. Minerva alone seemed unaffected as she was busy staring at the Headmaster as though he was a nice fat mouse.

“I don't care what you think! I'm not staying there and you can't make me! Just shut up!” screamed the girl at Dumbledore.

Slowly the old man rose from his seat and walked around it towards the child.

“It is you who did this, Headmaster, and now it would appear you cannot control her. Well, now she is disobeying you what do you intend to do?” sneered Severus.

“Harry, calm down,” said Dumbledore, ignoring Severus completely. “We can talk about this. Sit down.”

“I don't ever want to talk to you again. I'm leaving!” cried the girl and wiggled out of Minerva's grasp before turning to the door.

Harry,” said the old man sternly. “You are not going anywhere. Now please, sit down!”

The girl turned around and seemed to be considering something for a moment. Then she quickly walked back towards the Headmaster but instead of taking a seat in the chair he was indicating she reached out and shoved him. It was nowhere near hard enough to knock the him off his feet, in fact it likely didn't even hurt considering the girl's size but the gesture and the meaning behind it was not lost to anyone in the room. Dumbledore looked absolutely shocked as did Minerva. Poppy stepped backwards. Severus remained a blank mask though he was every bit as surprised. What was she thinking? This was one of the most powerful wizards in the world!

“Harry... I...” said the Headmaster.

“Shut up!” repeated the girl and ran for the door but she never reached it as Severus reached out and grabbed her shoulder.

Sit down,” he commanded and to his surprise the girl instantly plopped into the chair.

“Fine,” said the old man suddenly. “I only ever had her safety in mind whether you chose to believe me or not. Harry, it saddens me deeply that you would feel this way and I want you to know that this was never my intention. That being said I cannot allow you to leave. You will stay in this castle. Severus, since she still seems to obey you I will not only hold you personally responsible for her safety while she is here but I will continue to do so when you become her Head of House.”

“I don't want to be a Slyther...” cried the girl.

Silence!” hissed Severus and the girl's mouth clamped shut.

“Since the three of you have taken an interest in her affairs above and beyond what was expected of you I will have you house her while she is here. About the Dursleys I can only say I will allow you to search for another family in light of her treatment there but if you find no one suitable I will have to send her back though I promise to personally set up wards for her protection. Now, I suggest you leave me to deal with the more serious implications of this.”

Severus nodded. Internally he was both celebrating and fuming. How dare he consider the Ministry and public's reactions more important than her wellbeing? On the other hand they had won this battle.

“Come,” he said to the girl and headed for the door.

To his relief she obediently followed him out. The witches followed behind her. Once they had left the staircase and were a bit down the hallway, Severus turned to face the girl.

“What was that?” he demanded.

“Was is good enough?” asked the girl.

“Harry, what do you mean? How could you assault the Headmaster?” supplied Minerva.

“You must let me see that bruise!” said Poppy, ignoring the current topic.

“Well, you wanted me to have an attitude with him, right? So was it good enough?”

Minerva send Severus a stern look and he pinched the bridge of his nose.

“I did. But I did not ask you to shove him.”

“Well, no. I just wanted to do that,” grinned the girl. “I wouldn't have done it without you there and besides I thought it might help with your plan. Though I'm surprised he believed it because he has never seen me do what you say like that before” the girl said and shrugged.

Severus raised an eyebrow. So the girl understood what he was doing? But she had taken her part much to seriously. It could have gone very wrong.

“Well, then, I appear to have had a snake in my lion den,” mumbled Minerva and smirked at Severus.

At that both Severus and the girl grimaced. However the expressions on their faces were so similar that it caused both Minerva and Poppy to snicker, which in turn earned them two very similar glares that had them laughing.

“Where will she be sleeping tonight?” asked Severus in an effort to silence the two women whose amusement he could not comprehend.

“I wish to have a look at her in the infirmary,” replied Poppy when she regained the ability to speak.

“She may stay in my quarters for tonight,” said Minerva. “Harry, come with me and Madam Pomfrey to the infirmary now. Then you may come with me and we'll have some biscuits.”

Severus rolled his eyes. The girl hadn't been back to the castle an hour and already Minerva was spoiling her with sugar when she should have been in bed hours ago.

“I will see you tomorrow then,” he said and gave the girl a pointed look to remind her to behave herself in Minerva's company.



Harry could hear Snape's heavy footsteps walk down the hallway behind them as she was lead away by Pomfrey and McGonagall. She still didn't know what to make of this and she hadn't enjoyed being bossed around by Snape but getting to yell at the Headmaster was worth it. Madam Pomfrey held Harry's hand the entire walk to the infirmary but Harry didn't know whether this was supposed to be reassuring or to prevent her from running off. She knew however that she was happy to finally be out of Number Four.

“Lie down, Harry. I will only do a scan tonight and then I want you to take a few potions,” said Pomfrey.

The mediwitch began waving her wand as soon as Harry had leaned back onto the cot. She couldn't help but think about the last time she had been here. It was that scan that had revealed her. She had gone back and forth on whether or not that was a good thing. The good part was not having to pretend to be a boy. The bad part was learning all those nasty things. Dumbledore was being a jerk. The professors and Pomfrey were neither here nor there. They said one thing to her and another when they thought she couldn't hear them. Then there was this whole Snape-business. That, she didn't like to think about. It was better if she didn't. Besides she still hadn't figured out whether to be furious with him over the Slytherin-thing or grateful to him for taking her away and getting the Headmaster to let her stay. She looked up to see Pomfrey frowning above her.

“You have more bruises? On your hip? Your knees?” she said.

Harry shrugged. “Dudley pushed me down.”

“Very well. I need you to drink these and then you may go with professor McGonagall,” said Pomfrey as she handed her two vials. “That one will heal your bruises and the other is a supplement I would like you to take with every meal from now on.”

Harry grimaced. The first one she knew the taste of. It was a common healing potion and it was disgusting. Since it had many uses she had gotten one before for minor scrapes – though Harry would personally have preferred one of the balms she knew Pomfrey also had even if they took more than one application. The second one was actually not terrible. It was still not pleasant but it wasn't making her gag either. Once she had taken them both she jumped down from the cot and followed McGonagall out. She was actually exhausted. Still, a part of her didn't want to go to sleep. What if she woke up back at Privet Drive and it was all a dream? No, she decided. No one has this weird dreams. Not even me. But still she had a horrible feeling that she would soon be back there again. She had to be careful and trust no one.
Chapter End Notes:
Next up: What to do about Harry Potter?