Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry does not handle 'idle and bored' well.
The rules of chess
”What happened?” Snape demanded as he stared down at Harry.

She shook her head in confusion. ”Nothing.” Snape didn't move an inch and Harry began to feel like she must have done something wrong she'd forgotten about because Snape couldn't seriously be asking her about lunch, could he?

Nothing,” Snape repeated. ”Did you or did you not inform professor Flitwick of the situation?”

”What? No! I didn't say anything!” she protested while she tried her best to remember whether she in fact had said something. Unbeknownst to her, Snape actually didn't truly think she'd said too much – he would just much prefer that to what had actually happened. Snape sighed and ran his hand across his face.

”It seems professor Flitwick was able to discover our connection without assistance then. He is a very brilliant man but this still means we must be exceedingly careful to ensure this does not happen again.”

”Oh,” she replied. Harry didn't really want to discuss that right now. The entire thing had been a bit overwhelming. She turned to move towards her room but stopped when she remembered something. ”Erm, professor?” she asked.

”Yes?” Snape replied with a slight sneer.

Harry had to resist the urge to roll her eyes. Seriously! Every time she asked him a question he acted as though she was constantly pestering him and every time she made a mistake he acted like it was the worst thing anyone had ever done – well, at least that was how she felt. Getting into an argument now would be counterproductive so she tried to look as neutral and oblivious as she could.

”If they know who I am now, does that mean I can go outside?” she inquired hopefully.

”I suppose so, however, I distinctly recall there being a certain little girl who refused to leave my quarters just this morning,” Snape smirked.

”That's different,” she objected. ”And I'm not a little... I'm not little!”

”If you say so,” he replied dismissively.

”I just wanted to walk around on my own a bit,” Harry continued when Snape didn't seem interested in arguing further.

”That will not be possible. You will not be permitted to wander around the castle unsupervised. You may visit the library and other specific destinations on your own but you will go straight to and from, is that understood?”

Snape gave Harry a stern look when she merely shrugged in reply. I'm allowed to anywhere I please when school has started, so what's the problem now? She huffed in reply and glared at the tall man in front of her.

”Can I go to the lake?”

”Absolutely not.”

”Can I go to visit Hagrid?”

”Yes, you may, but not for more than two hours and not until he has agreed to see you,” Snape replied.

”But I go there all the time! Hagrid doesn't mind! Can I please go?” Harry unknowingly whined as she got increasingly annoyed.

Snape sighed. ”If it gets me some peace and quiet for the next two hours you may go but...” he said, pausing to place a finger on the shoulder of an eager Harry who was already halfway to the door. ”You will go straight there and straight back again! If I find you have not been where you were meant to be I will be very displeased.” Harry gulped at that as Snape held her gaze. She really didn't want to lose the permission to go out so soon after getting it. ”If you see anyone you do not know you will turn around and come straight back here, do you understand?”

Harry grimaced slightly. ”Professor, who would I see around here?” she inquired.

”Never mind,” Snape huffed. ”Off you go now. Remember what I told you! And Miss Evans...”

Harry turned around in the doorway.

”You do not have your wand and there are not many adults walking the grounds in summer. If I find you've disobeyed me and gone anywhere near the forbidden forest or in any other way risked your life you will be very sorry and that is a promise,” he continued silkily.

The sound of his voice sent chills down her spine and Harry nodded. ”I understand, professor.” As she closed the door behind her she breathed a sigh of relief before she half skipped down the hallway towards fresh air and freedom.



The sky was completely blue and not a single clouds was in sight. The afternoon air was warm and a faint scent of plums ripening reached Harry's nostrils as she made her way down to Hagrid's hut. It was so lovely out that she felt especially annoyed that she hadn't been allowed out until now. Therefore it was with rising panic that she waited outside Hagrid's door, having knocked a few times over the last couple of minutes. She knocked a final fourth time and still there was no answer. Fang wasn't barking on the other side either. Where on earth could Hagrid be? And even more importantly, did she really have to go back to Snape's stuffy rooms again?

No way! There's no way I'm going back there now! What if I take a walk? He said there weren't many people out here so who is going to see me? But then again... What if someone actually sees me. Would they tell him? Knowing my luck, probably. I could go to the greenhouses. At least there's a good chance they are empty and... that's not really going around outside is it?

She carefully began to make her way towards the greenhouses. There were many pretty plants there and it was a bit like being outside only the chances of being spotted were smaller. Harry figured she could talk herself out of any questioning from some of the teachers but if McGonagall, Pomfrey or, Merlin forbid, Snape found her she would be busted. Trying her very best not to be visible from the windows she finally reached the first greenhouse only to find the door locked. The second was the same way only one of the windows were wide open. Harry shrugged and decided she might as well hide inside before someone saw her and so she crawled through the window with some difficulty and only barely managed not to plummet into a large tray with yellow flowers.

She walked between the many plants in the humidity of the glass structure. Some of the plants she recognized from last year but she found she only knew the names of a few – having had some trouble concentrating in herbology with Ron always making comments and Hermione defending the subject. She missed them. She missed them terribly. She longed to be with her only friends again but having a few hours away from Snape was nearly as good. Harry found she partly couldn't stand him but oddly he was also one of the only two adults she trusted to any degree. She just wanted the summer to end so she didn't have to be close to him anymore. He was going to pass her along to some other family soon anyway – he'd said that multiple times. Harry sat down next to a bucket as she tried to comprehend why she was tearing up. She didn't like him! She never had! But still she felt horrible knowing that he was going to send her away. It was silly really. She should be happy shouldn't she? Finally rid of the great bat? He's getting rid of me – not the other way around. The tiny voice inside Harry's head sounded almost wounded. I'm the one who's a burden. The Dursleys didn't want me and neither does he! Not really anyway. He only wanted me away from them. I bet the new family will kick me out too!

She leaned over the bucket and saw that it was filled with water. Her own reflection stared back at her. This strange face that was somehow her. A single tear fell from her cheek and distorted the surface. She didn't want him but she didn't want to be abandoned either. The surface of the water was calming and the image of the pale girl with the green eyes slowly came into focus.

”Hello,” she said, managing a weak smile. ”My name is Victoria.”

Harry stared at her reflection. It was strange hearing those words and seeing them coming from her own mouth. She brushed her bangs away from her face, revealing the scar. Her bangs were becoming much too long and as she felt her hair she remembered that she hadn't washed it in a while. It was becoming greasy. She huffed in annoyance.

”Hi,” She tried again. ”My name is Victoria Evans.”

”Hello, Miss Evans,” spoke a sudden voice and Harry almost flipped the bucket in surprise. ”I was certain I saw you around here. Did you get in through the window there?”

Harry stared at Dumbledore. How did the old man get in without her noticing. The greenhouse door behind him was open and Harry suddenly felt embarrassed not knowing how long he'd been standing there.

”I'm glad I came upon you, I've been meaning to speak with you about something,” the Headmaster twinkled as though she hadn't either shown him contempt or ignored him at their previous meetings.

”I... I should get back,” Harry stammered and shuffled to her feet, drying her eyes as best she could.

”A very beautiful place, the greenhouses,” Dumbledore mused, ”Of course it can be rather dangerous with all these vicious plants around. That is mainly why professor Sprout locks it. We can't have students and other people wandering about in here, can we?”

”Oh. I'm sorry, professor, I just needed somewhere to go and...” Harry explained.

”Do not fret. After all nothing happened. Still, I would not want Pomona catching me in here again. She seems to think I'm involved in the theft of her Cimbrian Sweetroots,” the old man smiled mischievously. ”Delicious things. What do you say we take a stroll by the lake?”

”Erm, sir? You're not going to tell anyone, are you?” said Harry hoping that he wasn't going to go to Snape.

”And have professor Sprout's wrath come down on us both? Heavens no!” he smiled. ”I may be an old fool but I do prefer my head attached to my neck.”

Harry followed the man out of the greenhouse and waited as he locked the door behind them. Hah, as if he couldn't beat her in a duel! Hermione said he is the strongest living wizard! She knew she wasn't supposed to speak to Dumbledore, but for one she'd never heard of Cimbrian Sweetroot and so had no idea if that was a real thing and she had a suspicion that Dumbledore's silence was conditional. Before long they found themselves standing in the shade of an apple tree near the lake that Harry knew very well. This was where she had fled to after her first potions class and since then she, Ron and Hermione had come here often – occasionally with the twins. Dumbledore looked out over the lake with a thoughtful expression. Harry picked a small green apple from one of the lower branches just to do something and then threw it in the lake creating rings in the surface.

”Harry, I know it may be sometime before you can believe me but you must understand that I mean you no harm. I never have and I never will,” Dumbledore began and Harry instantly felt uncomfortable. ”I did not know what your home life was like and I admit that I have failed you there. I will not force you to do anything, Harry. I simply believe we can protect you magically to avoid any further problems with your relatives...”

”I'm not going back!” Harry objected and took a step back.

”I'm not telling you too. I want you to realize, however, that your teachers may not find an alternative and in that case we will have no choice. Harry...” said Dumbledore reaching out for her arm as she turned to run. ”I promise you... I swear... If that should happen you have my word I will protect you.”

”When have you ever done anything for me?” huffed Harry in reply.

”Now Harry,” said Dumbledore, hurt flashing in his eyes. ”I try my best, you know. I cannot be all things to all people and I have hundreds of children to look after but you always have had and always will have a special place in my heart.”

”Then prove it,” muttered Harry, who couldn't care less about Dumbledore's woes after having heard what he said in Surrey.

”Very well,” replied Dumbledore to Harry's surprise. ”Come to my office tonight after dinner. I have a surprise for you. Eight o'clock. Now you had better get back inside. The wind is turning rather chilly.”

Of course the wind was turning no such thing but Harry didn't need another excuse to get out of there.

”Oh, and Harry? I don't believe professor Snape would allow you to see me or my guest so you had better not mention it. We will be waiting for you,” Dumbledore called after her.



”You're early.”

Snape sounded not only surprised but suspicious as well and Harry closed the door behind her, biting her lip.

”Yes?” she answered as she didn't really understand what was wrong about that.

Snape stared at her from his desk and seemed to be searching her face. ”You're an hour early. I would have thought Hagrid would have kept you company for longer.”

Damn it. What was she going to tell him? She had been so busy with getting away from Dumbledore and wondering who Dumbledore was meeting that she couldn't tell Snape about, that she hadn't really given anything else any thought. To be honest she hadn't thought being early would require an explanation with Snape.

”Erm... He had a lot to do,” she simply shrugged and edged towards the secret door.

”I... See...” replied Snape. ”I have not yet finished my work so you may occupy yourself until dinner then I have something to discuss with you.”

”Oh... Sure,” Harry replied before she could think and she then quickly disappeared behind the door to escape the black eyes that were studying her. Once in her room she sank down on her bed. What was she going to do? What did Dumbledore want to show her? A tiny voice inside her whispered that she should probably just go back out and tell Snape where she'd been and what Dumbledore had said but she wasn't mental! Snape would kill her! Not only had he told her not to go anywhere but Hagrid's but on several occasions he'd told her not to speak to Dumbledore. No way. Maybe she could just not go meet the Headmaster? But Harry thought she might die of curiosity. Who did he want her to meet? And why didn't he think Snape would approve? Even so, if she went how would she get around Snape?



Victoria shifted uncomfortably in her chair. Severus watched her over the rim of his glass of water. Something was clearly going on with the girl and Severus was certain it had something to with her little trip outside earlier that day. He was debating whether or not to confront her with it. Had the half giant reacted badly to her transformation? Surely not. Severus might not know the man well but he didn't think Hagrid would ever be unkind to anyone or anything. The girl had been begging to go but then why had she returned so quickly? He had expected her to be late at best!

”Eat,” he firmly commanded.

”Huh?” said the girl as she was pulled from whatever thoughts were consuming her.

”You've barely eaten a thing. I thought we had discussed this,” Severus continued.

”Oh,” replied Victoria and hastily added a few more potatoes to her plate which she instantly began shuffling around with her fork.

”That appears to be your preferred reply these days.” Severus raised an eyebrow when the girl didn't react. Clearly she was once again thinking. ”Miss Evans...” Still nothing. Severus grew agitated and placed the now empty glass back on the table top with more than necessary force causing the girl to jump slightly. Two big green eyes met his, confusion filling them. Severus sighed.

”Tell me.”

”I'm not sure I understand... Sir,” replied Victoria as her eyes instantly found the half-eaten potato in front of her.

”You're clearly distracted and knowing you, you are either in trouble or about to get in trouble. So, which is it?” Severus continued.

”I'm not... I don't... That's not true!” she objected.

Severus narrowed his eyes. ”Miss Evans, before I ask you this, I would like to remind you that I do not appreciate being lied to, now, were you being completely truthful when I asked you about your visit earlier?”

”Yes,” replied the girl but Severus did not miss that she still would not look at him. ”It's just...”

What?” he demanded. He was sure something was going on. The girl probably went swimming in the lake or something similarly idiotic.

”Can I go out again? After we finish dinner?” she asked, noticeably biting her lip.

Aha! So she's not in trouble, the little menace is plotting something! Well, Severus would have none of it. Besides he had already decided he was going to discuss their next outing with her after dinner. ”Absolutely not!” he replied sternly as he glared at the little miscreant across the table.

”But...” Victoria objected as she rose from her seat.

”But where exactly do you need to go?” Severus interjected.

”Erm... I... The library. I need a book,” the girl clumsily argued.

The Potions Master took a deep breath as he tried to control his rising anger. The girl was lying to him – he was absolutely certain of it. P... Victoria had never been a good liar but she was an infuriatingly persistent one. ”Then you may get it tomorrow and I shall take you there myself. You will be going nowhere tonight. We have something to discuss.”

He was getting tired of this game. He had been hoping that making it clear to the girl that he was not fooled and not willing to back down would cause her to confess but that had yet to happen.

”You can't tell me what to do. I don't have to hide away in here anymore!” Victoria hissed as she crossed her arms in defiance.

”You can either have that discussion with me and spend a nice evening in the living room or you may spend the evening in your own room, young lady! You are living in my quarters under my protection and while that is so I expect you to respect and obey me and furthermore be truthful,” Severus sneered in a low voice as he slowly rose from the table, staring down at her.

The girl just looked at him. Her large green eyes were slowly filling with tears and for the second time during that conversation she looked up at him. Severus inwardly scolded himself. His temper had flared again and he knew this wasn't going to help. He was just about to open his mouth and tell the girl to calm down when she pushed the plate away and ignoring the vial, she turned to the side and mumbled something not unlike 'Stupid greasy git'.

”That's it,” Severus snapped. ”To bed with you.”

Victoria looked up at him as if only now realizing she had said that aloud. ”But sir,” she pleaded.

”Bed. Now!” Severus barked.

”Fine!” she hissed, every attempt at politeness now abandoned by both of them. Before he could say anything else she had left the kitchen and slammed the door to her room behind her. Exhausted, Severus sank back into his chair. What was he going to do?

About 15 minutes later he carefully opened the door to her room, having already knocked and gotten no reply. She was lying on her stomach on her bed. Her face was hidden in her pillow and she did not look up when he entered. Carefully he placed the vial in her hand.

”You forgot to take this,” he reminded her in his most neutral voice. She simply sat up, back still turned to him, and drank the potion before thrusting her arm backwards to hand him the empty vial. She didn't say a word but Severus was certain he could hear her sniffing. He was still absolutely certain she was hiding something but perhaps his instincts were wrong in this case? Perhaps she was simply worried or upset about something she wouldn't share. Perhaps something did happen with gamekeeper. His instincts were screaming at him that this was ridiculous and the brat was up to no good but another voice which it unnerved him to find sounded rather like Minerva was pleading with him to be patient and let her have the benefit of the doubt. He decided not to comment on her not being in bed yet and took the vial.

”I will be in the lab if you need me,” he stated. ”Just knock.”



Harry was staring at the silvery fabric in her hands. She had no idea what time it was but she knew they usually ate at 7, unlike school dinner which was generally at 6. Snape had left about... 10 minutes ago? Harry had waited until she was certain he wouldn't return. He was going to be in his lab. That could take hours. She could easily sneak out and back again without him noticing.

Still, she felt kind of bad for going. She had expected Snape to yell at her some more when he returned but he hadn't. He hadn't even sounded that upset. There it was again? Why should she feel guilty about lying to Snape? What did it matter what he thought? She'd done it loads of times before and it didn't bother her! Harry pushed it to the back of her mind and let her curiosity get the better of her. Who was Dumbledore meeting? Carefully she pulled the cloak over herself and opened the door. She was careful to close it behind her. The hard part was going through to the office. What if Snape wasn't in the lab at the moment? She could use the other entrance couldn't she? No, she was pretty sure that door was warded but she didn't know how. She silently tiptoed through the living room and into Snape's office. For a moment she was certain he would be on the other side of the vanishing door but when he wasn't she sighed with relief and left the office.

When she arrived at the the gargoyle, she knew to be the entrance to Dumbledore's office, she realized she didn't know the password and would the gargoyle even let her in if she was invisible. In a small hallway she discretely pulled of the cloak and stuffed it into a suit of armor – that, unless Harry's mind was playing tricks on her, didn't look very appreciative. She went back to the gargoyle and stood there staring at it for moment.

”Erm...” she mumbled, but just then she heard footsteps in the hallway behind her. She nervously jumped towards the stone creature in the hope that she could hide next to it but to her surprise it jumped aside and allowed her passage. She didn't think much of it, she simply took off up the stairs to safety before anyone saw her there. At the the door, she paused to catch her breath before she knocked. It swung open by itself and Harry stepped into the bright office, closing the door behind her. The first thing she saw was Dumbledore sitting behind his desk smiling as her and her eyes instantly darted around the room but she saw no one else. A sudden fear rose within her. Had Dumbledore been lying to her?

”Ah, Harry! Welcome! Welcome! I must say I wasn't expecting you just yet! You are a bit early, dear child. Our guest will be joining us shortly. Why don't you take a seat? Sherbet lemon?”

”Erm... Hi... Professor,” she replied when she couldn't think of any complete sentences at the top of her head. She warily took a seat in one of the two guest chairs. ”Uhm, professor? Who is coming?” she inquired as she accepted the offered sweet.

”All in good time. Call it a... surprise, if you like,” smiled the old man. ”I have something else to discuss with you as well. I hope you've given some thought to what I told you earlier today. No, do not answer that. I do not expect you to start trusting me again so easily. Harry, you don't mind if I call you Harry, do you?” Harry shook her head 'no'. ”Well, you see, your teachers and I have some disagreements about the situation. I would have preferred to ward your relatives' house but your teachers would insist we change not only your place of residence but also your Hogwarts house and I have agreed to that.”

”But professor, I don't want to be in Slytherin,” Harry quickly interrupted him. She really didn't truly understand why anyone but Snape would think that a good idea.

”As I'm aware, but Harry, you need to think of this as an opportunity to make a lot of new friends.”

”I like my old friends just fine,” she huffed, crossing her arms.

”You would still have...” began Dumbledore but just then the fireplace flared a vivid green and someone hopped out of the fireplace. ”Ah, excellent!” exclaimed the Headmaster.

Harry rose from her seat, her eyes wide in disbelief. Then a smile formed upon her face.

”Hermione?”
Chapter End Notes:
Next up: Friends