Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Victoria goes away
Storms on the horizon
Victoria landed roughly on the pavement on a narrow city street. Her suitcase was lying at her side. She retched but managed to keep her breakfast down – and barely so as the world was again send spinning just as she was swiftly pulled to her feet.

”Brush yourself off,” Snape commented as he picked up her suitcase.

”Ugh, that is awful!” hiccuped Victoria. ”Where are we anyway?”

”Hampstead,” said Snape shortly as he lost his patience and slapped dust off her jacket sleeves and shoulders – nearly causing her to fall back down. Seeing that it wouldn't get any better he sighed deeply. ”This way.” He then walked up to one of several identical red-bricked Victorian houses. Unlike Privet Drive however, there were no front yards, daisies or hollyhocks. In fact it looked neat and charming without being overly colorful. She followed Snape up the few steps to the dark red-brown door. On the wall next to it were a brass plaque which read: Drs Granger & Granger, dentists. Consultation hours 8-17, Mon-Fri. There was a matching brass knocker on the door.

Snape turned to her. ”Remember what I told you. I expect you to behave yourself – and I am well aware of how hard that is for you. You do not disclose anything to your friends that is not part of your official story and finally,” here Snape paused. ”It would best if you did not stray too far from this area.”

Victoria didn't understand the point of that last part but she nodded a hurried 'Yes, sir' none the less, eager to see Hermione.

”Then there's this,” Snape said and pulled out something Victoria instantly recognized.

”My wand!”

”I will not have you out and about without the means to defend yourself. Keep it with you at all times. And you must hand this to either of the Dr Grangers,” he continued as he placed her suitcase on the ground and pulled out a small bag and and a letter which he handed to Victoria. Then Snape knocked on the door and stepped backwards. In the next moment the door opened and there stood a woman in a white coat. Victoria stared at her for a moment. She had the same bushy, brown hair as Hermione only hers was gathered in a bun at the back of her neck. Her eyes were a dull green and her expression stern but an approving smile formed on her lips as she saw who was there. Victoria looked over her shoulder, wondering why Snape didn't say anything but he was nowhere to be seen.



”Of course,” sneered Severus as he fed the letters to the fire. What did I expect? At least the girl was out of the castle – and just in time as well. He had wanted to get a cup of coffee but knowing his 'old friend' the sooner he got there, the sooner he could get out. Not long thereafter he elegantly stepped out of the enormous fireplace. He had had no trouble getting through as he he was expected. Expected indeed. Lucius was seated in a large green and black embroidered armchair with tea already on the table.

”Severus! And right on time,” smiled the blond man superficially. He was still in his robes and Severus reasoned that it could not have been long since Lucius had left the Ministry.

”You requested me urgently,” replied Severus. There was nothing urgent about the matter but to a Malfoy any matter of interest to them was urgent. ”I trust you haven't called for me to oversee the completion of Draco's assignments?”

Lucius' smile briefly faltered and then returned. ”No, no. He is doing very well. As he should. No, I wish to consult with you about the recent... news... regarding a certain child-who-lived.”

”The Evans girl...” Severus replied unenthusiastically as he took a seat. Lucius' eyes shone.

”It is true then?”

”Very.”

”The Ministry is in uproar. Fudge went to Hogwarts this morning to speak with the old man. Has he spoken to you?”

”You've read the papers. There is little more I can offer you. I was not present when the discovery was made. I believe it had something to do with a medical scan. The Headmaster has been very secretive concerning the matter.”

”But she has been housed at Hogwarts? How long have you known?” Lucius' voice cut though the air like steel, his false pleasantries forgotten. ”And in that time you could not find it within yourself to inform an old friend?”

”The Headmaster kept her secluded. Did you think he would trust me with the safety of a child I despise?”

”And now? What do you know of it?”

”Only that she is no longer there. Of course no one knows her location but the Headmaster.”

”I will write to the board. You may expect immediate action,” nodded Lucius.

”It is merely a little girl, Lucius, what do you intend to argue?”

”You needn't concern yourself but I will have something done about it. The Dark Lord would think little of one who does not strike when weakness presents itself.” Lucius rose and walked slowly to the window. Severus knew this meant he was dismissed. He was no longer needed. He hadn't expected Lucius to say nothing but he truly didn't need another complication. Just this morning Hagrid had discovered Rita Skeeter trying to sneak on to the grounds.

”I may discover where she is hiding,” said Severus as he rose.

”Severus,” said Lucius calmly. ”You knew the mudblood.”

”I did,” Severus replied coldly.

”You must have seen who she spoke to,” continued Lucius as he turned to face the dark-eyed man. ”And you must have seen the girl. Who does she look like?”

”I've seen her but briefly.”

”Black perhaps,” mused Lucius as Severus inwardly groaned. There isn't a chance in hell that mutt could have fathered Victoria. Lily would never... But Victoria had black hair and so...

”It would seem the most likely candidate but I'm told there are many.”

”Whores the lot of them,” nodded Lucius. ”You had a lucky escape from the mudblood wench yourself.”

”I must return. I am expected elsewhere,” replied Severus shortly.

”Of course,” said Lucius thoughtfully. ”Wouldn't want to keep your employer waiting.”



Severus stepped out of the fire and roughly brushed ash of his robes. The nerve of that man! Severus hoped and believed Lucius didn't truly realize the nature of his attachment to Lily. In his company Severus had always made it appear as a mild inclination – an memory from a foolish youth of the weakness of flesh. He had admitted that he once had been attracted to her, had liked her but never had he revealed to his dark associations that he loved her and always would. Only when pleading to the Dark Lord had he... But there was nothing but shame felt in regards to that. What had he asked? For Lily. Destroy the child, slay Potter but spare her! Allow me this, my Lord! Have I not served you faithfully? He hated James with a burning passion but that was Victoria. That was an innocent baby. How could Lily ever have cared for him if she knew he had betrayed her so when she had put all her faith in him?

At least there was some useful information to obtain at Malfoy Manor. If the Minister was already there his interest was surely peaked. He might have failed the girl in the past but he wasn't about to now. Of course that wasn't as worrying as whatever Lucius was planning. He knew his old friend well but he couldn't see what Lucius could possibly say against Victoria. Severus knew the best course of action would be no action at all on that count. He would wait and see. Deciding to skip lunch he left and made his way to Dumbledore's office. However on his way he spotted Poppy and Minerva speaking in hushed voices in front of a window. Severus groaned. He hoped they knew better than to have any confidential discussion in such a location. An empty hallways could have hidden ears.

”Loitering in the hallways again?” he sneered, announcing his presence.

”Severus!” hissed Minerva, clearly displeased with the shock he had given her. ”Do not sneak up on people like that!”

”Severus, did you hear the minister is here?” interjected Poppy. Severus nodded shortly.

”And you believed this was the best place to discuss the matter?”

”Poppy, tell him,” said Minerva as she gave Severus a pointed look.

”I had the most curious visit this morning,” began the mediwitch.

”In here,” interrupted Severus as he lead them to a more secluded area. ”What happened?”

”The Headmaster came to see me. He took Victoria's medical records,” explained Poppy in a hushed voice.

What?” replied the Potions Master. ”All of them?” What was going on? What was the old man up to?”

”I have copies of the ones recorded during the school year but the extensive ones are with him now.”

”What could he possibly need those for?” wondered Minerva.

”Do you think he would show the Minister?” questioned Poppy.

”I can't see why he would,” commented Severus. ”And I could not see why the Minister would want them.”

”He has asked not to be interrupted,” mumbled the mediwitch.

”Never the less I have every intention of finding out what he intends to do,” stated Severus.

”There is something else. It might be nothing but...” began Minerva quietly.

Severus raised an eyebrow. ”What is it?”

”He clearly goes to the Ministry but other than he only leaves his office once a day and Filius commented that...” Minerva hesitated. ”Apparently he has been visiting Sybil quite a lot. And now... Now she is gone. On vacation it's said.”

Severus blinked. That dusty old mop rarely ever left her tower unless a particular dessert in the Great Hall or Sinistra's star maps could tempt her. Just then a distant ruckus reached his ears. His female companions had clearly not heard but his ears perked. There is was again. Accepting that seeing the Headmaster was not possibly yet he decided to follow the sound. Moments later he arrived in the entrance hall having lost the much older witches somewhere behind him.

”I have a right to be here! The people need to know!” cried a blonde woman towering over Flitwick. At her side stood a scruffy man who was snapping photos of everything from the tiny professor to his own shoe laces.

”Madam Skeeter! I must insist you leave the grounds immediately!” squeaked Flitwick.

”I insist upon seeing Dumbledore! The truth will out! He cannot hide from me!”

Flitwick clearly had enough and withdrew his wand. Yet, he spoke calmly:

”Madam, you will leave the grounds at once or a report will be filed!”

”Well, isn't that grand! Journalist threatened by halfbreed and a Death Eater in the pursuit of truth!” she sneered and glared at both men despite Flitwick being reasonably calm and Severus having done nothing but stand silently to the side. ”Bobby! Picture!”

The camera flashed as the man photographed the professors blocking their way.

”Out, Madam!” said Flitwick firmly. Severus knew that angering the charms professor was not a wise move. The woman seemed to have realized this as well for she huffed and stormed back out through the door, muttering to a quill floating beside her and occasionally snapping at the scruffy gentleman. Severus breathed deeply, trying to ignore his building headache.



Victoria was sitting in the nook window seat in Hermione's room, looking at the street below as Hermione slept. It was early morning but after waking up she found herself unable to fall asleep again. The room and furniture were white and the bed-covers and the window seat pillows were peach. The room had a bookcase which was so stuffed that several additional stacks of books lay by it's side. A unfoldable guest bed stood near the desk. The bed was still unmade from when Victoria got up. The house was wonderful. Hermione's parent were great – if one disregarded their interest in her academic aspirations and the fact that since Snape in his letter had informed them that she was in need of 'supplements' they had fussed over her more than she was comfortable with. She secretly wished she hadn't shown them the bag and letter – and honestly she was a bit insulted that he still didn't trust her to take them on her own. The only strange thing was Hermione. She too had fussed over Victoria in a strange way. Of course they had watched a film in the living room and last night they had stayed up late – talking and laughing. It was fun. But Hermione asked her how she felt too often for Victoria's liking. She didn't like all these feelings and she didn't like talking about them. She had been doing nothing else this summer. She just wanted to have fun with her friend and not think about it for a moment. Of course that was easier said than done. Snape had asked her to think about it. To think about if she really wanted to have anything to do with him. She looked over at her sleeping friend. Of course she couldn't share that with Hermione.



”I must admit, when Hermione spoke of you I thought you were a boy. Harry is a rather interesting name,” said Mr Granger as he sipped his breakfast tea. He hadn't spoken much to Victoria the previous day as he had been in the clinic. He was not particularly tall. His eyes and hair were brown. He gave her a friendly smile.

”Oh, it's a nickname,” said Victoria after quickly swallowing her bite of toast. ”My middle name is Harriet.”

”Ah, then I understand,” said Mr Granger. ”Jean, what time is it? I think I may have to call Mr Williams and reschedule... again.”

Just then something tapped on the window. Victoria looked up in surprise to find it was a owl. ”Oh, shoot! Already,” mumbled Hermione as she jumped up and to Victoria's surprise attempted to shoo the bird away from the window. ”Erm, Harry, could you go get my jumper, please?” she smiled. ”It's on my bed.”

”Uh, sure,” replied Victoria and got up from the table. The adult Grangers didn't seem bothered by the bird. When she entered Hermione's room she could have sworn she saw at least two more owls fly by the window. As she came down the stairs again she heard hushed voices in the kitchen which became silent as soon as her footsteps betrayed her presence. Upon entering the kitchen the Grangers were all standing near the table which now held several parcels and a small carrot-cake with a lit candle.

”Happy birthday, Harry!” grinned Hermione. ”Happy birthday,” echoed her parents.

She gasped. What? But it's not... Is it? What date is it even?

”Surprise,” smiled Hermione weakly. ”Hey, come blow out the candle before it runs!”

”I wouldn't have known it was your birthday unless Hermione had said something. You should have told me earlier,” smiled Mrs Granger. ”I could have baked a cake myself.” She shrugged apologetically.

”It's fine,” said Victoria. ”It's perfect! I... Is it really? I didn't know! It's the 31st?”

”Absolutely! Aren't there calenders in the magic world?” said Mr Granger mostly to Hermione.

”I'm sorry. I guess I just lost track,” smiled Victoria. She skipped over to Hermione and looked at the cake. It was store-bought but she sure didn't mind. After all it was only the second cake she had ever received. With that thought in mind she blew out the candle. So now she was twelve. Mrs Granger cut them each a piece but reminded Hermione and Victoria that they Should remember to brush their teeth after breakfast with all this sugar. When they had finished eating Hermione handed Victoria the first parcel.

”It's from me... And mum and dad.”

”Thank you so much!” Victoria smiled.

”You haven't opened it yet,” grinned Mr Granger. ”We open the clinic in a short while so you may open the rest in Hermione's room if you'd like.”

Victoria nodded and carefully opened the parcel to find a book on Quidditch maneuvers as well as some book by someone named Gilderoy Lockhard.

”Thank you!” said Victoria, excited about the Quidditch book.

”This one is on our list for this year,” smiled Hermione and pointed to the Lockhard book. ”It is an excellent read! And Lockhard is so... accomplished,” she blushed.

”And there is another surprise,” interjected Mrs Granger. ”We're closing the clinic early today and then we are going out to eat.”

Not long there after they were sitting on Hermione's bad as Victoria unwrapped presents. The first one was from Hagrid and contained a large selection of what Victoria presumed to be cakes. The next was surprisingly enough from McGonagall. It contained a few Pounds and a card wishing her a happy birthday and explaining that she might use the money as pocket money since she didn't think it had been provided. Next was two parcels from Ron. As Victoria opened it, Hermione took the attached card and read it. The parcels contained Quidditch collectors cards, chocolate frogs and a pumpkin pasty in one and what looked like small tissue paper balls in the other.

”What does it say,” Victoria smiled excitedly to Hermione.

”Oh, he says 'Happy Birthday',” explained Hermione.

”What do you mean? Let me read it.”

”Are you sure? I mean... Are you feeling alright with it?”

”Huh? What are you on about?”

”It's just,” Hermione began, hesitating. ”Mum and dad got a letter from the school saying you were under a lot of stress lately and shouldn't be allowed to read the paper. I just thought maybe talking about... everything... would be upsetting too.”

”It said what?” said Victoria as she snatched the letter.

Hi, mate.
Happy birthday, Harry! So they found out about the thing, huh? You'll have to tell me all about it. I tell you, mum and dad were shocked. Asked me how I didn't notice. Can you imagine their faces when I told them I knew? Is this why I haven't heard from you all summer? Have they been keeping you in a dungeon or something? Anyway, I hope you like the cards! I'm sorry they are mostly the ones I had more than one of but, hey, it gets you started, right? The other package is from Fred and George. They say 'happy birthday' too. It supposed to be some kind of fireworks, like you throw them or something but I won't do that if I were you. See you at school!
Ron


Victoria smiled as she read the letter. That seemed to calm Hermione down.

”I don't know why they would say that, Hermione, I'm fine.”

”Oh! I'm glad to hear it. The Prophet has been saying some crazy things.”

”Oh?” That should have given her an icy feeling in her stomach but Victoria's faltering smile was not caused by the papers as she wasn't listening to her friend. She had noticed something. There was anything from Snape. Not even a card. Well, it wasn't like she'd expected anything. He could hardly send her something when he knew Hermione was right there. But maybe it wasn't just that. He wasn't the type anyway. Why would he ever send her anything? Did he even know it was her birthday? If she could forget then why couldn't Snape who had despised her for most of their acquaintance? Still, she couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. Idiot! You know he couldn't possibly...

”Are you sure you're okay?” asked Hermione.

Victoria paused. It was silly really. She knew what she wanted. She wanted what Hermione had. A family. And regardless of who that would end up to be she got to almost have one today. She imagined this was what a normal birthday could look like.

”I'm more than okay,” she grinned. ”This is one of the best birthdays ever!”
Chapter End Notes:
Dear readers, I am looking for someone to beta this story in the hopes that it may speed of the process. I have been ill for some time and it will not likely change in the near future and I apologize for the wait. If you are interested please pm me either here or on ffn. Hugs, Livia.