Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
You already know...
Resorting To Resorting
She was alone in the galleries. All around her the castle buzzed with life as first the entrance hall and then the great hall filled with students. Last year she had arrived after most of the school along with the other first years and so had never before experienced what it was like when the silent castle filled with children once again in September. Before this summer the castle had always been a vast vibrant place to her – with people everywhere and always something going on. It had taken her a while to get used to the empty summertime castle and being the only student around. She had, however, and it had become almost homely in that time even if it was lonely. But you would think escaping the company of her professors – and others, would be welcomed relief. It was not. She was not in the least bit happy. As the dull buzzing of chatter grew so did the horrible feeling in her stomach. It was like someone had turned on a vacuum cleaner down there and was Hoovering out in sense of calm she had. Every last on of them was just another person to judge her and stare at her.

A door creaked open to her left. ”Miss Evans,” said professor McGonagall. She was wearing her usual 'stern but fair' look which earned the respect of so many. Victoria placed the pointy black hat on her head and shuffled after the deputy headmistress. She knew perfectly well she could not start an argument with McGonagall – and she did not think she would win it either way. She sighed audibly. Perhaps in the hope that McGonagall would stop walking and turn around to tell her she had personally spoken to the hat and made sure it was sending her back from where she came but the professor did not even acknowledge it. Instead she opened another door and stepped inside and Victoria followed her faithfully, not noticing the myriad of voices hushing each other before it was too late. She looked up and was met by several widened eyes. The group of first years was huddled together closely. All of them were watching McGonagall and Victoria closely as though they were tigers about to pounce on them. ”Miss Evans, if you please,” said McGonagall and gently pushed Victoria over to the group. A small redheaded girl glanced at Victoria and immediately hid begin another student. She kept her eyes on the stone floor as best she could. Whispers were beginning to arise from the back but at least a few students – muggleborns, she assumed, were more interested in the tall witch than whoever the weird student was.

”In a moment you will all follow me to the great hall where you will be sorted into your houses. Your house will be like you family while you are here at school,” professor McGonagall began. Victoria was not particularly interested. She had heard it all before and she was none to pleased to have to listen to it again. ”They are: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw,” said McGonagall and sent a stern glare at a mousy haired girl who squeaked loudly. ”Hufflepuff and Slytherin.” Victoria bit the inside of her cheek. She was not smart enough for Ravenclaw or at least she did not think so but maybe she could beg the hat for Hufflepuff if it would not let her have Gryffindor? McGonagall had evidently completed her speech while Victoria had not been paying attention. ”Follow me,” she said firmly and gave Victoria a pointed look as if daring her to try slipping away. McGonagall left the room for the entrance hall with a long tail of first years behind her. Victoria purposely fell to the back as if that really did any difference. The doors to the great hall opened and another wave of discomfort washed over Victoria as she heard the student body inside falling silent in anticipation.

Never had the great hall felt so huge. Victoria was pretty sure every singly student had grown at least five extra sets of eyes over the summer because it certainly felt like it. She could feel their eyes upon her but she could not bear to look up at them. The whispering seemed to come from everywhere. ”Is that her?” Someone said. ”Did you hear?” And: ”How is that even possible?” She wanted to see Hermione but she could not bear to look at the rest of her house and see their confusion so she did not dare look for her. Nor dared she look at any other house. She could not decide if Malfoy was dying of shock or having the time of his life right now.

They all stopped in front of the head table and Victoria bumped into the redheaded girl who had hid from her earlier due to not looking up which only resulted in the girl fleeing to the front. ”When I call your names, please step forward!” said McGonagall and held up the hat. ”Ainsley, Michelle!” And small curly-haired girl was ushered forward by the crowd around her and trembling made her way to the seat. McGonagall placed the hat on her head, which as Victoria had suspected fell down over her entire head. There was a moments silence. ”RAVENCLAW!” called the hat and the girl jumped down and skipped to the cheering Ravenclaw table. 'Bambach, Theosophina', 'Bhargava, Alexander' and 'Creevey, Colin' came next – Hufflepuffs and Gryffindor respectively and so on and on it went.

”Leseley, Acacia!” called McGonagall. The mousy-haired girl who has squeaked earlier skipped forward cheerfully and crawled onto the chair. She managed to wave enthusiastically at what looked like a fifth year Ravenclaw boy with equally mousy hair before the hat fell down and obscured her face. It had not been on her head very long before it called out: ”SLYTHERIN!” The Slytherin table erupted in cheers but when McGonagall removed the hat the girl sat there with a look of absolute shock on her face. McGonagall had to nudge her of the chair. The girl burst into tears as she ran down to the Slytherin table. Victoria felt for her. She really did. But she was too busy wondering why she seemed to be getting saved for last. Meanwhile McGonagall continued by calling 'Lovegood, Luna' to the front. By now Victoria was bleeding from biting her own cheek. They were nearing the end of the line and plenty of students had gone to either house.

Now only Victoria, the little redheaded girl and a raven haired boy with an incredibly neat haircut that reminded Victoria of 1950's pictures were left standing there. ”Weasley, Ginevra!” called McGonagall and the little girl hurried up, glancing nervously at Victoria. ”GRYFFINDOR!” cried the hat, having barely touched the girl's hair. Weasley? Victoria felt like such an idiot. She had seen that same girl before! They day she first took the train to Hogwarts! This was Ron's little sister. ”Xiao, Michael!” called the professor and the boy next to Victoria stepped up. This time is took a minute or too. “SLYTHERIN!” cried the hat finally and the boy hurried to the cheering snakes. Then quickly, much too quickly the entire hall fell silent. The tension in the room made it hard to breathe. “Evans, Victoria,” said McGonagall and looked straight at her. Victoria trembled. She wanted to turn around and run but she knew she would not make it to the doors so she slowly stepped forward. McGonagall's face was all business and instead Victoria looked up to the head table. Dumbledore was looking straight at her with such intensity that she quickly averted her eyes and instead looked for Snape. He was there but he was not looking at her at all. Instead he was keeping a close watch on the Slytherin table. However, someone else caught her eyes. Professor Flitwick was smiling gently at her and nodded thus urging her onward.

Shaking, she sat on the stool and then the world disappeared as the hat fell down over her eyes. “So... Here we are again, eh?” Said the voice of the hat inside her head. “Please,” whispered Victoria. “I belong in Gryffindor.” The hat seemed to... chuckle at that? ”Indeed? As I recall, last time you were here you also believed you knew better than I did,” replied the hat. “In fact you threatened to burn me. But this time, the Headmaster has assured me you will get no opportunity to do any such thing.” Victoria blushed in the darkness. Had the hat really told Dumbledore what she said? “Not Slytherin! Please!” she pleaded. “Again with this?” replied the hat pensively. “I'm sorry I said that! I didn't mean it! I just... Please! Anything! Hufflepuff? Ravenclaw? Please don't put me with them! I don't belong in Slytherin!” Victoria was becoming acutely aware of the fact that once again the rest of the room was just watching her sitting there with nothing happening. “Ah, Miss Evans, you would do well to beware of prejudice. I know who you are and what you can amount to. I am certain you will discover it for yourself.”

“No, wait!” Victoria urged the hat but it was too late. “SLYTHERIN!” the hat cried loudly so there would be no mistake as to what it was saying. McGonagall took the hat off of Victoria's head. The great hall was silent as a tomb. There was not even the slightest amount of cheer from the Slytherin table. It seemed like everyone was frozen in shock – including Victoria herself. For the first time she spotted Ron and Hermione at the Gryffindor table. Ron looked almost a sickly green and Hermione seemed to be incredibly confused. “Ahem,” said McGonagall. “Miss Evans, please join your house mates so we may begin the feast.” That effectively seemed to wake up the student because all at once chatter erupted so suddenly Victoria stumbled as she got off the chair. Probably sensing her overwhelming urge to run to the exit, McGonagall took hold of her wrist and escorted her to the Slytherin table as Dumbledore stood up and announced that the feast was officially begun, causing the food to appear on the tables. Victoria, in an attempt to get as far away from everyone as she could, sat at the end of the table next to the sobbing mousy-haired first year. She, at least, had to understand how Victoria was feeling. The raven-haired boy was sitting across from her and poking a piece of chicken with his fork. A tall female prefect hurried down along the table to the first years. “Right,” she said firmly as she tried to brush her incredibly curly hair out of her face. “Well done, everyone! Erm...” she continued as she glanced at Victoria. “Professor Snape is going to welcome you all before you go to your common room so once we've finished eating follow me!” The first years mumbled in response and the girl clearly took that as confirmation that they understood her because she nodded stiffly and left, her hair bouncing for every step.

“Why are you sitting here?” said the raven-haired boy – Xiao, Victoria thought his name was. She looked up from her empty plate. Honestly she was wondering the same thing. “Huh?” she just said, unable to come up with anything better. “Aren't you a second year?” the boy pressed. “Oh,” she replied, having been fairly sure he was about to insult her. “Yeah, I am. I just...” She glanced towards Draco Malfoy who was whispering something to Pansy Parkinson. She most certainly was not going to sit there. “Stop that!” the boy snapped and Victoria turned in confusion until she realised he was not talking to her but to the sobbing girl next to her. She lifted her head, her hazel eyes filled with tears and anger. “No, you shut up, you dirty snake!” she cried. “I'm not supposed to be here!”

Victoria tried to remember what the girl's name was but she could not. “Hey, I... I think the hat is just stupid,” she offered. The girl blinked at her. “Yeah...” She replied. “You were... You w-were in G-gryffindor, weren't you?” The girl sniffed. Victoria nodded. She could not bear to look over there. She could only imagine what they must be thinking right then. “You're Harry Potter?” Victoria shrugged. “Victoria Evans,” she replied bitterly. Harry Potter almost seemed like another person entirely now. “Acacia Leseley,” the girl said and offered Victoria her hand. The boy opposite them huffed. Victoria took the offered hand nervously. “Leseley? I think... I think I've read about your family. Do you live near Kitty's Creek?” Victoria inquired. Acacia nodded. “I'm supposed to be over there,” she said and pointed to the Ravenclaw table where the mousy-haired boy she had waved to earlier quickly looked away. “Everyone in my family was,” she said, breaking into sobs once again.

“There's nothing wrong with Slytherin!” hissed the boy whose entire name Victoria now recalled to be Michael Xiao. “Look, she's not bothering you by thinking otherwise – so clam it!” Victoria replied. “Well, it's your house too! And you should be proud, you know! Not just anyone can get into Slytherin!” He argued. “It's not that easy to get out of either,” Victoria mumbled. “Are you guys going to keep arguing or will you pass me the sauce?” intervened another boy. “Mind you own business, Harper!” replied Michael but he passed the sauce none the same. The meal continued in absolute silence – among the Slytherin first years anyway. Victoria almost fell backward when after 10 minutes or so, a lump of bread and four potatoes soared onto her plate. She glanced at the head table along with Acacia and found Madam Pomfrey with her wand out and a stern look upon her face. In defiance Victoria made a point out of mashing the potatoes thoroughly with her fork before she ate any of it.

The moment the feast was announced to be over both Acacia and Victoria flew up from their seats. Students were already beginning to file out and Victoria wanted to get to Hermione and Ron before they disappeared. Acacia too seemed eager to reach someone as she frantically searched for the Ravenclaw boy only to find him already leaving the room – making his way through a bunch of first years being lead out by Penelope Clearwater and Robert Hilliard. “Pyrus!” Acacia cried. “Wait up! Pyrus, wait!” But the boy who was probably her brother either did not hear her or ignored her all together. Victoria was more fortunate as Hermione went straight for her. “Harry! Are you all right?” she cried. Victoria began to clumsily explain the whole resorting thing but Hermione waved her off. “I know. Dumbledore announced it before you came in. It's just... This can't be right,” she said. “You did not change personality.”

Victoria gulped. “No, I don't know. I think they made a mistake.” She was not about to admit that the hat had wanted to put her in Slytherin all along. She felt like such a fraud. Not only was she a different gender from what she had told people but she was lying about who the hat thought she was too. “Maybe something is going on,” she said indicating the Slytherin table, most of which were watching them. “Where's Ron?” said Victoria, not wanting to let Hermione know that it in fact was planned – by the teachers at least. “Oh,” Hermione said, looking around. “He's just... A little surprised. We all are. It's a lot, you know.” Victoria began frantically searching the crowd for him. “Harry! Don't! He'll... He just need to think about it. All right? It's going to be fine! Just...”

“There you are! What part of 'follow me' did you not understand?” said the curly-haired Slytherin prefect as she grabbed hold of Victoria, already holding Acacia with the other hand. “I'll see you tomorrow, Harry,” said Hermione – giving her a weak smile as Victoria and Acacia were lead away.



”Miss Farley, you're late,” said Snape coldly as the prefect and her companion ushered the first years and Victoria through the door. ”'Sorry, Professor,” she replied meekly and glared at Acacia. Not taking any further notice of the prefects, Snape continued: ”You have all been sorted into Slytherin this evening and tonight before you begin your life here at Hogwarts I will be going over a few things that will be expected of you as a result. Firstly, you will be expected to follow school rules. While you are here you represent your house and I will not permit you to dishonour it. Reflect badly on this house and you will receive additional punishment from me and mark my words, you do not want to find yourself in that position.”

Snape was looking at them intensely, gliding around like a big black vampire. Victoria found it hard to take the man seriously. Somehow he seemed less scary to her now that he had hugged her once – well, sort of hugged her anyway. But it seemed to be doing the trick with the first years who were looking like they were scared to breathe. ”Secondly, there are additional inter-house rules which you will find posted on the notice board in your common room. Read them. From this day forward you will be held accountable to them.” So far Victoria did not think this was much of a 'welcome'. All they had had was Percy bossing them around on the first night. Why would Snape bother? Really, it rather seemed like he wanted to scare them on the first night. ”You may leave,” Snape concluded. ”Miss Evans, you may remain and you will be escorted to your chambers.”

The whole flock was silent as Farley and the other prefect guided them out. Acacia looked back at Victoria and she almost felt bad for not going with her but what was the point? She was not even in the same dormitory anyway. The moment the door closed behind the last first year Victoria expected Snape to say something. He did not. Instead he sat down at his desk and searched through a stack of papers. She could not help but glare at his greasy hair. He just about ruined her life with that stupid resorting and he was not even going to say anything?

”Ahem!” she coughed. ”It's late. Go to bed unless you would rather join your house mates,” Snape commented without looking up. ”Yeah, well, I don't know the password to Gryffindor tower,” she snapped, crossing her arms. Snape's hands froze. He looked at her briefly and then shook his head. ”We are not discussing this. Go to bed.” Victoria walked over to the bookshelf and pulled at the correct book, causing the invisible door to appear. She paused with her hand on the doorknob. ”You made it do that. It wouldn't listen to me!” she suddenly said. Snape sighed. ”Go to bed. I am tired and you clearly want to argue with me. I am not discussing this with you until you can have a calm conversation about it.” Offended by his dismissal of it and aware of her own inability to argue with that, she opened the door and hurried to her room.
Chapter End Notes:
Next up... Trying to make everything work.
Cookies for all who remembered the Leseleys!