Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry has her first potions class and someone gets nosy.
Double, double toil and trouble
The scream was every bit a terrifying even though Harry had heard it a thousand times before. The flash of green penetrated the grey mist as the nightmare was fading. The room and the silhouette of the woman and the dark shadow came out of focus. Harry was twisting, turning, screaming and begging for it to end. Then a voice suddenly vanished the remaining mist.

“Harry? HARRY! Wake up! Harry!”

Harry slowly opened her eyes. She was sore and stiff not to mention confused. Where was she? Who was calling her? She attempted to sit up but only managed to bump her head against something. What on earth? Am I... Am I under the bed? Then the memories of last night returned to her and she rolled over to find Ron on his hands and knees peering under the bed.

“Harry! Get up! We're going to be late!” Ron hurried her.

“Right, right..” she mumbled in return and carefully crawled out from under the bed and disentangled herself from the covers.

“What were you doing? I was looking for you! If you hadn't started mumbling in your sleep, I'd have to declare you dead, mate!” Ron smiled and gave Harry a concerned look.

She didn't really want to be answering any questions so instead she grabbed her clothes and robes and headed for the bathroom. She closed the door and began changing. It was strange knowing Ron was on the other side probably wondering why she was acting this way so in an attempt to distract him from it she spoke through the door:

“Where are the others?”

“They went to breakfast. We've missed it now I think,” Ron replied sounding very sorrowful indeed but Harry wasn't in the least bit concerned with missing another meal.

“I'd hurry up, Harry, we have just enough time to get to transfiguration.”

Harry finished dressing and splashed some water in her face. She couldn't see it in the mirror as she'd left her glasses on the nightstand. She opened the door and went over to collect them.

“Do you know the way?” she smiled at Ron.

“Yeah, Percy told me how to get there! But we had better run now!”

Harry got her bag and followed Ron out of the room and down the stairs. Of course they had to turn back again when Ron realized he'd forgotten his bag on his bed.



It hadn't exactly been a good start. Harry and Ron had managed to be late for their very first class. After storming through the castle for 20 minutes or so Harry had decided that either Percy didn't know what he was talking about, Ron didn't remember the directions well or the school had simply changed over night. From what she had seen so far she wouldn't be surprised if the answer was the latter. McGonagall certainly wasn't pleased but she'd simply allowed them to sit down after scolding them in front of the class which Harry found extraordinary seeing as she was sure she'd be sent home for that. The lesson was only theoretical and Harry spent it sitting at a desk next to Hermione Granger – who was furiously taking notes, and wondered whether or not Professor McGonagall ate mice when she was a cat and whether mice tasted good.

Of course she felt so bad about that at lunchtime that she only managed to eat one cheese sandwich even though she was actually starving and getting a bit lightheaded. She was still worried about whether or not she could really take anything but she figured no one would notice a single sandwich disappearing and she stealthely took it when no one was looking.

Now she and Ron were making their way towards the dungeons to have their first potions lesson. Harry was still upset with herself for not only being late for class but also failing to listen that she promised herself to pay especially good attention in this class. Ron was walking beside her, whispering with Seamus. Harry turned her attention back towards her fellow Gryffindors.

“... And then they ran all the way to the library to hide but he found them when they were going to dinner!” Ron whispered at an excited Seamus.

Harry smiled. Ron had been telling stories of the twins and their adventures throughout lunch and still had plenty more. They did seem to be an audience favorite though Harry suspected the twins might have embellished a little when they told their brother! Surely Professor Snape hadn't really made them scrub the dungeon hallways with toothbrushes! She'd never known a teacher to do that even if she wouldn't put it past her relatives, should someone inspire them. Just behind them walked a timid boy who Harry knew to be Neville Longbottom and the boy seemed to become more terrified the closer they got to the dungeons and Harry was pretty sure Ron's stories had something to do with it.

“And if you think that's bad you should hear about the time they tried to spell the Ravenclaw team's showers and McGonagall caught them while...”

“Ron, are you sure this is the right way?” Harry inquired.

“Yeah, it's the right way. Speaking of which we'd better hurry up,” said Dean Thomas who was walking in front of her.

Harry nodded and they all picked up their pace except for Neville who seemed to be walking slower with each step. It wasn't long before they descended into the dungeons and Harry immediately felt Neville's fear of the place was partly justified. It sure was creepy and it didn't help when Dean mentioned that the Slytherin common room was somewhere down here – only no one but the Slytherins knew where. Ron had said that all the bad wizards and witches were in Slytherin and even identified Malfoy as one – so Harry imagined Slytherin being full of people just like Malfoy and Dudley. It was a bit unsettling knowing there was a nest full of them somewhere close by and Harry half expected to be attacked without provocation like Dudley and his gang had done time and time again.

Harry almost held her breath the last bit of the way to the potions classroom. They apparently made it just in time because no one was outside the classroom and everyone was seated inside. They quickly went inside and Harry took a seat between Hermione and Ron. There was still no sign of the professor. Good. Harry didn't want him to know they were almost late. She glanced at Ron who was nervously looking over his shoulder and then at the girl to her right who was reading her Beginners guide to potions. Harry pulled out her own book and some parchment, ink and a quill. She hadn't yet had time to read ahead like Hermione had obviously done and was doing at that very moment. She glanced around the classroom and to her displeasure saw that there were only Gryffindors and Slytherins present – and Malfoy was sitting near the back whispering with a girl.

“Pssst! Harry?” whispered Ron and she turned to find him smiling at her.

From his gestures she concluded he wanted to borrow a piece of parchment and she handed him one. He accepted it gratefully and opened his mouth – most likely to thank her, when suddenly the door flew open and crashed against the wall with a loud bang.



One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten!

Snape opened his eyes and looked once again at the door leading to the hallway. He wasn't quite sure if what he wanted more was to punch a wall or hide in his chambers until the class was over. But he certainly wasn't stupid enough to injure himself by (Merlin forbid) letting his emotions run amok and he certainly wouldn't have it known that Severus Snape was hiding from an eleven year old boy either! The man sighed and walked towards the door. It was no use delaying the inevitable. He put his hand upon the doorknob and schooled his expression into an ominous scowl before he opened the door and strode down the hallway to the classroom. He flung the door open and flew to the front of the classroom where his desk was placed upon a dais in front of the blackboard.

“Quiet!” was his first command upon entering even though the room was silent as a tomb. He then began his customary first year lecture about there being no wand waving or silly incantations in his class and of how he didn't expect many of them to grasp the finer points of potions nor the potential in this field of magic. As he did so he crossed his arms and glared at the class, subconsciously searching the room for a certain little boy.

Every child sat there with wide eyes and stared at him in a combination of disbelief and terror – even the Slytherins, though they had met him previously. Snape would have been disappointed if they didn't. Considering the warnings they had been given during his introduction the their house, the rules and his expectations of them they had more cause to be frightened than the Gryffindors. There were only two exceptions to this behavior – a girl with frizzy brown hair who looked completely unaffected if not eager and... Potter!

He's not even listening to me! Cannot even be bothered to look up! Who does he think...

The boy was scribbling away on a piece of parchment – probably drawing or writing a note to pass. Severus could feel his blood boiling. Well, if he was going to have another James Potter on his hands he would personally make sure the brat knew he couldn't do whatever he pleased in his class.

“Of course it would appear that some of you already have such impeccable skills in this subject that you find you do not need to pay attention!”

He glared at the boy as he put emphasis on the last word and finally the boy looked up at him. There was nothing but confusion in the green eyes. Clearly it was completely beyond Potter how he was at fault. It was clearly a shock to Potter that he would actually be expected to listen in class and not doodle his time away!

“Mr Potter! We have... a celebrity amongst us,” Snape sneered.




Harry didn't say a word. She was quite content letting Ron do the talking for her.

“Can you believe it? That bloody bat! I knew he'd be a git but honestly... And he didn't even care that Granger knew! Not that anyone else would! Honestly! Harry, no one would know that! If they were normal that is!”

Ron glanced over at Hermione and shook his head. The group of students parted and Harry could hear the Slytherins giggling as they walked deeper into the dungeons. Harry and the rest of the Gryffindors were climbing the stairs and Harry couldn't get out of the dungeons fast enough. What she wanted most was to find some broom closet somewhere and hide.

“Harry, let's go outside! Come on! We'll go to the lake. There's still plenty of time before dinner!”

Harry nodded. She would have preferred to be alone but a bit of fresh air sounded great right now. Ron had no way of knowing but Harry was currently battling her own emotions for control. She knew it. She just knew it! It had to be too good to be true! First Malfoy and now... And she didn't know what to do.

Ron lead her through the entrance hall and out onto the grounds. Harry wasn't really paying any attention to where they were going for she was still lost in thought. Her silence didn't go unnoticed by Ron who was unsure of what to say to make his new friend feel better. Not only did he really want to and couldn't stand seeing Harry like this but he also felt his honor depended upon it. Harry had stood up for him with Malfoy and now he would be there for Harry after the batty bat in the dungeons had decided to prove every bit as mental as Fred and George had told him he was. Oh, how he really wished the twins were here now! They always knew how to cheer people up! They reached the lakeside and camped under a tree. Harry simply sat down on the ground but Ron took of his robe and spread it out on the ground before sitting.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Ron offered.

Harry shrugged. She honestly didn't. How could she tell Ron? Without him asking any questions?

“Nah, I'm good.”

“You know, Snape really is a prat!” Ron smiled and nudged Harry. She offered a weak smile and replied: “Yeah, I know! And they way he spoke to Longbottom too!”

“Yelled at him more like. Did you see Granger? I'm surprised her arm didn't fall off!”

Harry actually smiled genuinely at the thought of Hermione's flushed face as she became more and more frustrated with being ignored. It had looked funny – even if Harry knew perfectly well she had been treated every bit as unfairly.

“At least he didn't take any points,” Harry tried, remembering McGonagall's introduction to the point system and the housecup.

“Nah, he hardly ever does and...”

“... he never EVER gives points! But...”

“... nobody gives as many detentions as him and we don't have to tell you...”

Both first years practically jumped in the air as the twins revealed themselves. At first they looked around with wide eyes and tried to determine where the voices were coming from when a half eaten apple fell on Ron's head. They both looked up to find Fred and George in the tree branches above them.

“You sodding prats!” cried Ron and tossed the apple back at them as both twins laughed and crawled down.

“Hey, Ronnie! Calm down! Did we scare you?” One of the twins smiled and put an arm around his younger brother.

“I wasn't scared,” Ron muttered.

The other twin looked at Harry with mischief in his eyes.

“So Harry, need a bit of help getting back at the old bat?”

“Oh, shut up, Fred! I bet you wouldn't even...” Ron began.

“Never underestimate us, little brother!” the other (George?) interrupted him. “So, Harry, what do you say?”

Harry couldn't believe it! They were serious! They were actually offering to stand up for her. But she couldn't let them! What if they got into trouble for her sake? No, she couldn't let that happen! As it was she was surprised they even wanted to speak to her! She allowed the strange warm feeling in her chest to spread and smiled at the boys.

“Nah, don't bother! I don't want you to get into trouble for my sake,” she replied.

“Well, if you change your mind, we're here. Besides we don't really need a reason the mess with Slytherin,” smiled Fred.

“You don't need a reason to mess with anyone,” Ron said and shoved his brother playfully.

“True, but it's all in good fun, Ronnie!” replied George.

“We'll see you at the feast then. We have... erh...”

“Things to do!” his brother supplied.

The twins hurried of towards the castle and Harry sighed. She already felt a lot better. In fact, she felt great. No one had ever offered to stand up for her the way the twins had and no one had ever been there for her the way Ron had. However, Ron took her sighing to mean something else entirely.

“Are you okay, mate?”

Harry nodded.

“Ron? Thanks.”

The redheaded boy beamed and picked up both his and Harry's bags.

“Don't mention it! What do you say we go to the tower and dump these before we go to dinner?”

And so the children went on their way. They made it to their dorm and left their bags behind before making it down for dinner just in time. The twins were also quite late and arrived just after them. Harry sat there while Ron piled food on his plate and looked over at Neville who was sneaking his toad bits of salad under the table.

“Here!”

Harry looked up as Ron pushed a plate filled with mashes potatoes and chicken towards Harry. She looked at him in confusion but the boy simply seemed to have gotten her something while he was at it. She looked down at the plate. To say she was hungry would be an understatement and she was awfully dizzy too having eaten nothing since yesterday. Perhaps it was okay to eat it? After all she hadn't taken anything. Ron had. She smiled at the boy and casually thanked him before she picked up her fork and slowly began eating. She drank a good deal of pumpkin juice but only managed to clear half the plate. Still she felt very full and was quite certain she'd never had a better meal.



“What are you two whispering about? Plotting something?”

Minerva McGonagall jumped a bit at the sound of the deep familiar voice and Poppy Pomfrey let out a startled shriek. Both women turned to find the potions master observing them with an infuriating smirk on his face.

“Severus, do you enjoy giving people heart attacks? Because I can tell you I don't appreciate the extra work!” Poppy snapped.

“Well, when one sees you two hiding in dark corners one might think you were... up to something.”

Minerva smiled. She recognized his attempt to address them like schoolgirls – a tactic she had often used on him when meeting him in the corridors after curfew! She had to admit he was doing a pretty decent job at it. Well, two could play that game.

“Severus, sneaking up on people and eavesdropping? I'm very disappointed in you, young man!”

Minerva glared at the now tensed head of Slytherin but her smile quickly broke through.

“Flitwick asked me to inform you that he wishes to see you tomorrow before breakfast,” Snape replied and glared back at McGonagall.

“Oh, indeed! Yes, of course! Poppy, I'll get right back to you about the boy once I'm sure!”

The nurse nodded. She briefly rolled her eyes at Severus and and left the other two alone in the corridor.

“Do I want to ask which boy?” Snape inquired sullenly.

“Poppy simply noticed that Potter didn't eat much tonight and asked me whether he did earlier. I don't know but I shall observe him at breakfast to confirm that he eats his meals. Poppy is concerned that he may have stomach flu and would like to know if we are about to have an outbreak.”

Stomach flu?! The boy is hardly ill! He's just doesn't find the food to his liking! He wouldn't touch it earlier and tonight he had Weasley serve him like a footman!”

“He didn't eat all of yesterday?” Minerva cried.

The dour man simply huffed in response and rolled his eyes. McGonagall paused.

“How do you know, Severus?”

Severus felt a little dizzy. He wasn't about to admit to the lion queen that he had actually been watching the boy. In fact that was her job. Why wasn't she paying attention?

“Minerva, from what I've seen of him, he looks perfectly fine. Fuss if you like, I cannot stop you. Now if you don't mind I have work to do.”

With that Severus turned on his heel and left Minerva by herself. She considered the words of her colleague briefly before coming to the conclusion that Severus hardly knew anything about the boy and she should still pay attention at breakfast.



It's not fair! Every time! Every single time! But you never get any smarter do you Harry?

The girl was huddled under her bed once again – her dorm mates soundly asleep. She had pulled one of the covers over her head to muffle the sound of her own sobbing as she finally was able to allow her bottled up emotions to come out. She felt absolutely awful. Here she was: She had a bed, food and friends that she didn't deserve. Earlier she had almost believed otherwise. She had actually begun to feel that maybe the Dursleys were wrong and these people where the good people. In fact, yesterday night she had felt happier that she ever had. But Professor Snape had been there to pull her back to reality and to the realization that she was a worthless freak and not worth anything.

But there is was. That spark. The fury that she had contained as best she could back in Surrey. Harry wasn't about to give up now. She couldn't. After all she had Ron now and the twins. She wasn't about to leave them. If having friends meant putting up with people like Snape – then so be it!

As two figures left Gryffindor Tower, the girl pulled the covers tightly around herself as the grey clouds and the nightmares descended upon her.
Chapter End Notes:
Next up: Someone is up to something ^_^