Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 10

The next morning came fast for Severus. So much happened the day before, but he was happy that it ended on a positive note.

Severus got up and walked to the spare bedroom where his fledging was sleeping. Opening the door, he could see Harry curled up in a ball in the middle of the bed. Severus didn’t want to disturb the child, but instincts was making him come closer.

Harry was curled up against the pillow. Severus moved a few strains of the child’s hair from his face. Harry squirmed a little but didn’t wake. A knock on the door brought Severus out of his musing and watching his child.

Whoever was on the other side of the door was persistently knocking. Severus waved his hand causing the door to open. Minerva stormed into Severus’ chamber and walked straight towards the Potions Master.

“How could you?” Minerva ranted.

“Good morning to you too, Minerva,” Severus said, rubbing his hand over his face, trying to stifle a yawn.

“How could you turn a child?” Minerva roared. “That was very irresponsible. And then to turn Harry Potter. A child who you’ve hated for two years. How could you condemn that poor child?”

Severus said nothing. He just stood there listening to Minerva rant at him.

Simultaneously two things happened: Harry came out of his room and the fireplace roared with Remus emerging from the flames. Harry didn’t move from the entrance to the living room, but Remus walked over to the two professors and stood in front of his brother.

“What are you doing here, Minerva?” Remus roared.

“Remus,” Minerva said, taken aback. Her tone returning to normal. “I didn’t know you where here.”

“Yes,” Remus said. “Father wants me to teach the Defense classes this coming term. I’ll ask again, why you are here, yelling at my brother?”

“He turned Harry Potter,” Minerva said. “A boy that he hated for two years. I’ve had to listen to him talk down to, blame any wrongdoing on him, and called the boy a spoiled brat.”

Harry stood in the doorway, tears blurring his eyes. He was hurt at what he was hearing but deep down he was getting angry. How could his Head of House talk about his da like that?

There was a low growl that caught everyone’s attention. Severus turned just in time of seeing his fledgling charge the Transfiguration Professor. Severus caught Harry around his waist and turned him away. Minerva stepped back.

“Calm down, fledgling,” Severus soothed.

Harry continued to growl. Severus knew what he was going to have to do to calm the boy. He moved opened his robe over his shoulder, moving his hair out of the way.

“Drink fledgling,” Severus said, bringing Harry’s head towards the crook of his neck. “Drink.”

Harry bit down on Severus’ neck. When the first savored liquid entered Harry’s mouth, he began to calm down. A calm washed over the child. Severus stepped out of the living room and went to his room, closing the door.

Remus turned to his former Professor. “I think you need to leave. You’ve done enough trouble. Severus knows what he did and now he is trying to rectify it. And he doesn’t need you bringing all that back up, throwing it back in his face.”

Minerva huffed and turned walked out of the door. Remus sighed and walked down the small hallway towards Severus’ room.

Giving a small knock, Remus let himself in. Severus was sitting on the bed with Harry in his arms. The child was no longer feeding.

“Is she still in there?” Severus asked.

“No, she’s gone.” Remus said, leaning against the door. “I’m sorry, little brother.”

Severus shrugged. “It’s not like she’s wrong. She was right about everything. I was mean to Harry the last two years.”

“Yeah,” Remus said. “Maybe. But that isn’t now. Now, today, is what you need to worry about.”

“Yeah,” Severus said, looking down at the boy in his lap.

“Do you need to feed?” Remus asked, walking over to Severus, standing in front of him.

“No,” Severus said. “I’m fine.”

“Don’t let this make you think that you’re not supposed to take care of yourself,” Remus said.

“I’m fine,” Severus said, absently rubbing Harry’s back.

“I’m sure you are,” Remus said. “But I know how you get when you feel like you deserve reprimand.”

“Thank you, Remy,” Severus said. “I’ll take care of myself. If I need you, I’ll come.” Severus leaned his head on Harry’s head. “I have a reason to take care of myself.”

“Well, I’m going to let you get ready,” Remus said, “We’ll meet in the Great Hall for breakfast.”

“Yeah,” Severus said. “I’ll see you there.”

Remus turned to leave.

“Hey, Remy,” Severus said. Remus turned back to his brother. “Thanks.”

Remus smirked and walked out of the room. He headed for the fireplace and floo’ed back to the Headmaster’s chambers.

___000___000___000

Remus stepped out of the fireplace and saw Albus sitting behind his desk doing some paperwork. He didn’t look up when he heard the floo flared.

“Good morning, Remus,” Albus said. “Where have you been?”

“Severus’,” Remus said. “You need to control your Professors.”

Albus stopped what he was doing and looked up at his son.

“I beg your pardon?” Albus said, looking over his half moon glasses.

“Minerva was yelling at Severus. She upset Harry, and Severus just took her yelling at him.”

“Did Severus feed?” Albus said, leaning back in his chair.

Remus shook his head. “He said he’s fine.”

It had been a long time since Severus fed off Remus. What a lot of people didn’t know was that because Remus was a werewolf, he was protected from changing into a vampire if Severus bit him. When they were growing up, in order to control Severus urges to drink, he would feed off Remus.

“We’ll leave him alone,” Albus said. “But keep your eye on him.”

Remus nodded. “I will.”

“What did Minerva do?” Albus asked, escorting Remus to the sofa in the living room.

“She fussed about Severus turning Harry,” Remus sighed. “It triggered Harry into protective rage. I could see the hurt on the boy’s face, but he almost attacked Minerva.”

“I can’t believe she would do that,” Albus said, shaking his head. “I’ll talk with her later.”

“You do that,” Remus said, getting up. “I’m going back to bed. I’m still tired. And it took a lot keeping Moony at bay.”

“Go lay down,” Albus said. “I’ll have the elves bring your breakfast to your room.”

“Thanks, dad,” Remus said as he walked back to his room.

“Oh,” Remus said, turning back around to face Albus. “Let Severus know I’m in my room. I told him that I would see him in the Great Hall.”

“I will. Go on,” Albus said.

___000___000___000

Severus sat on his bed holding Harry. After the child fed, Harry fell back to sleep. Severus looked down at his fledgling.

This was a huge mistake, Severus thought. Minerva was right. How could I be so careless that I turned a child? It didn’t matter that it was Harry Potter, though when something happened, the boy seemed to be at the heart of it. But he was so reckless as to not take care of himself before checking on the boy. Now, Harry’s life would be forever changed. What horrors would he face? Would his friends even accept him? Even though, in the beginning, he didn’t care for Harry, and always thought that Harry got away with everything, he still had his friends stand by him. Would they see him as they had before, or would they only see the monster he’d turned into?

Harry began to squirm on Severus’ lap, bringing Severus out of his musing.

“Good morning,” Severus said, looking down at Harry.

“Hey, da,” Harry said smiling.

Harry stretched his arms out almost hitting Severus in the face. Severus gripped his wrist mere inches before being hit.

“Sorry,” Harry said, sheepishly. “What are we doing today?”

“I need to work on restocking the Infirmary,” Severus said, lifting Harry off his lap.

“Oh,” Harry said, his brow furrowing. “What am I going to do?”

“What do you want to do?” Severus asked, walking to his closet. He pulled out an older coat and pants. “I know Hagrid is at his cottage. You could go flying. Your broom is in the hall cupboard. You could spend some time with your Uncle Remus or Grandpa Albus.”

“Okay,” Harry said. “Will you be brewing all day?”

Severus smirked at the child. “No, I won’t brew all day. But I would like to get as much as I can done. Once I’m finished with all, we can spend all the time together.”

Harry walked out of Severus’ room heading towards his room when he turned around at the door.

“Da,” Harry called back. “Can I help you brew your potions?”

“Of course,” Severus said, walking over to Harry and kneeling in front of him. “I didn’t think that you wanted to be cooped up in the laboratory all day. But you are more than welcome to be with me. Though some of the potions are a little too advance, you can help preparing the ingredients.”

Harry face just lit up. Harry lounged forward and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck.

“Thanks, da,” Harry said.

Once he let Severus go, he ran into his room to get dressed. Severus stood up and closed his door.

After a few moments, Harry and Severus walked out of Severus chambers. Their destination was the Great Hall for breakfast.

___000___000___000

After Remus went back to bed, Albus abandoned his paperwork and left his chambers. He opted to take a walk. He figured the best place to walk was towards his Deputy Headmistress chambers.

Albus knocked on Minerva’s door. After a couple of seconds, Minerva opened the door. She didn’t seem surprised to see him. She opened the door further allowing Albus entrance into her chambers.

“Minerva,” Albus said.

“Albus, I know why you’re here,” Minerva said, closing the door. “I can’t explain what happened.”

“Minerva.”

“I didn’t mean to go down there and attack Severus. I knew it was the wrong thing when I saw the look on Harry’s and Remus’ face.”

“Minerva.”

“My temper just got away from me,” Minerva continued.

“Minerva,” Albus said louder, holding up his hand to quiet the witch down. “I understand where your heart was. I also disagreed with how Severus handled himself knowing he wasn’t feeling well. But what I can’t abide, is you bashing my son.”

“I’m sorry, Albus,” Minerva said.

“I’m sure you are,” Albus said. “But you know how Severus is. Now that he has a fledgling to look out for, he doesn’t need any thing that will have him go into a depression. I’ve gone through that once, and I wish to never go through that again.”

“I will make this right with Severus,” Minerva pledged.

“Wonderful,” Albus said, walking to the door. He left without another word.

___000___000___000

Breakfast was a quiet affair. Everyone kept to their own. There were a few whispered conversations. Since it was the summer, there were only a few of the Professors that were present. Professors Burbage, Sprout, Flitwick, Vector, and McGonagall along with Madam Hooch, Pomphrey, and Hagrid.

Harry left with Hagrid after breakfast. Severus excused himself and walked out of the Great Hall. He decided to go to the Infirmary to make the list of potions he would need to brew.

“How you feeling, Harry?” Hagrid asked.

“I’m okay,” Harry said. “Is Fang in the back?”

“Yeah,” Hagrid said. “You know that mutt likes to stay back there.”

Hagrid walked into his cottage while Harry walked around the back to see Fang. When he got close enough, Fang looked over at Harry and stared growling.

“Hey, Fang,” Harry said. “It’s me. How you doing boy?”

Fang growled louder.

Hagrid was getting his supplies together so that he could get to work on removing the slugs that were in the pumpkin and squash patches. He heard a loud growl, then Harry screaming. Hagrid rushed out of his house and went towards the back.

What he saw surprised him. Harry was standing by the wall of the cottage, cradling his hand against his chest. Fang was laying on his side.

“Harry,” Hagrid yelled, rushing to the boy’s side. “Are you alright? What happened?”

Harry looked up at Hagrid. There was blood streaming down his chin. Tears were pooling the boy’s eyes. Harry misread the look on Hagrid’s face and ran away towards the forest.

“Harry,” Hagrid called out. “Harry, come back.”

Hagrid went to his dog and saw that the dog was just stunned. There was blood on the dog. Fang was bleeding from his forearm. Hagrid saw that it wasn’t a bad bite but wrapped the dog’s arm with a cloth that was near Fang. The half giant turned and looked at the castle but decided to run after Harry. When Harry looked at Hagrid, there was fear in the child’s eyes.

___000___000___000

Severus walked into the Infirmary and went to the potions’ cupboard. He started making a mental list of what he would need to brew first. His head started hurting. It wasn’t bad, barely a slow nagging ache. Severus dismissed it and continued at his task.

Poppy walked in the Infirmary.

“Starting without me,” Poppy said, walking towards Severus.

“Just wanting to get a start on some of the most needed potions,” Severus said.

Poppy didn’t like how Severus was sounding. She walked over to him and put her hand in the crook of his elbow and turned him around.

“What are you doing?” Severus growled.

“Look at me,” Poppy ordered.

Severus squinted at her. The light in the Infirmary was getting to him.

“Go lay down,” Poppy ordered.

“I’m fine,” Severus said, pulling his arm out of the matron’s grasp.

Poppy sent a Patronus to Albus.

“Severus,” Poppy said. “You are not feeling well.”

“I’m fine,” Severus growled. “I want to get this done.”

“It can wait,” Poppy said soothingly, trying to calm Severus down.

“I have to start now,” Severus insisted.

“No, Severus,” Poppy said, grabbing Severus’ arm, pulling him once again out of the cupboard. “I want you to lie down for a moment.”

“And I said, I’m fine.”

“Severus.”

Severus closed his eyes, recognizing the new voice in the room, and lowered his head.

“I’m fine, dad,” Severus said.

“Then come to me,” Albus said.

Severus turned and looked at his dad. Albus was standing at the other end of the Infirmary. The small nagging ache in his head began to multiply. Albus could see the pain Severus was trying to hide.

“Come to me, Severus,” Albus said again.

Severus walked towards Albus. It seemed like each step was excruciating. How did his headache multiply this fast? Severus could usually hold out a lot longer than it.

Albus kept his eyes on Severus. He wanted to make sure that Severus didn’t get distracted before Albus could help him.

“Albus,” Poppy said, “I have one of his potions right here.”

“That won’t work now, Poppy,” Albus said, softly. “Remus is in my chambers in his room. Go get him.”

Without another word, Poppy floo’ed to the Headmaster’s chambers.

Albus kept coaxing Severus to come near him. He knew if Severus was walking this slow, he was in a great deal of pain.

Seconds later, Poppy came back into the Infirmary with Remus on her tail. Remus looked at his brother and rushed over and stood in front of Severus.

Remus cupped Severus face so that they were looking in each other’s eyes.

“You always have to make things difficult,” Remus said, smirking. He pulled Severus close to him.

“Go ahead,” Remus whispered as if giving Severus permission.

Severus bit down and Remus wrapped his arms around Severus’ shoulders.

“All you had to do was feed when I asked you,” Remus whispered in Severus’ ear.

Albus walked over to Poppy.

“Let’s leave them be,” Albus said. “Remus will take care of his brother.”

Poppy turned back to the storage cupboard and continued the list of potions she would need Severus to brew.

Albus left the Infirmary.

___000___000___000

Hagrid didn’t have to walk far when he heard something coming towards him.

“Hagrid, my friend.”

“Firenze,” Hagrid said. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, thank you,” Firenze replied. “I believe I found someone of yours. I thought it rather peculiar that a student would be here during the summer holidays.”

“Where is he?” Hagrid asked, walking towards the centaur.

“Here,” Firenze said, turning around. “It took a moment to calm him down. It’s been a long time since I’ve had to calm a child who feared himself.”

“Thank you, Firenze,” Hagrid said.

Hagrid noticed that Harry was laying on Firenze’s back. He carefully picked the child up.

“I’m sorry, Hagrid,” Harry said when he felt Hagrid’s hands on him.

“Do take care,” Firenze said as he walked away.

“It’s alright,” Hagrid said.

“I didn’t mean to hurt Fang,” Harry rushed out. “Fang was my friend.”

“Fang is fine,” Hagrid said. “He will be your friend again. He just has to get use to you again. Are you hurt?”

“No,” Harry said. “I’m fine. Are you sure Fang is alright?”

“Fang has had worse,” Hagrid said, laughing a little. “He’ll be just fine.”

Hagrid and Harry walked out of the forest and headed towards the castle.

___000___000___000

Severus stopped drinking and laid his head on Remus’ shoulder. He hated feeling like this. It was like he didn’t have control of his dark side.

Remus could feel Severus pressing his head on his shoulder. Now that Poppy left them alone in the Infirmary he could candidly talk to his brother.

The werewolf shook his head because he knew that Severus was blaming himself about Harry. He hated that Minerva yelled at him like that. Yes, Severus knew what he did was wrong, but to keep pushing it in his face was going to make him snap. It was just a good thing that Remus was here. His potion to curb the beast inside him would not have worked.

“You feeling better?” Remus whispered in Severus’ ear.

Severus shook his head but stepped back from Remus’ grasp.

“You can’t let what Minerva said to you upset you,” Remus said.

“And why not?” Severus said, turning around. “It’s the truth.”

“What do you want me to say?” Remus asked. “That it’s your fault. You already know that. That you need to take responsibility for your action. You’re doing that. That you should love your fledging. That couldn’t be helped. When Harry was with me on the steps, I knew that you loved him. There is no doubt about that. There’s no way to take back what happened, but you can make the best of it from now on.”

Severus sighed. He knew his brother was right, but it still bothered him about how the school, or his friends were going to take what happened to Harry.

“Here,” Remus said, thrusting a parchment in Severus’ direction. “Poppy left this for you. It’s the list of potions she’ll need before the start of term.”

Severus nodded and took the list. Remus watched his brother walk out of the Infirmary. He shook his head as he went to the fireplace and floo’ed back to the Headmaster’s chambers.

___000___000___000

Hagrid left Harry at the front of the school. Hagrid told Harry that Fang would be fine, but it still troubled him that Fang attacked him. Harry looked up at the school and saw a few owls flying around. When Harry walked in, he headed towards the owlery. He hoped that Hedwig wouldn’t treat him like Fang did.

Once Harry reached the owlery, he slowly walked in. He figured if the owls were going to attack it would be better if went in slowly. In case they attacked, Harry could duck out quickly. When he walked in, there was no attack. The owls were acting the same as if it were nothing. Harry walked over to the ledge and looked out. The air was always comfortable there. It wasn’t cold even being at the top of the school.

Harry whistled. After a long moment, Hedwig flew towards the castle. Harry held out his arm and she landed on his outstretched arm. When he brought her close to him, Hedwig went to his shoulder and nipped softly on his ear. Harry smiled as his pet, his friend, his pet, his owl. Hedwig still loved him.

TBC