Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Everyone is still learning how to handle their feelings.
Chapter 15

Severus couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

This can’t be true. It’s impossible.

“Da,” Harry softly called out, shaking Severus’ arm. “What’s wrong?”

Albus looked from Severus to Remus.

Severus looked at Remus. The look on his brother’s face told the Potions Master everything he needed to know.

“You knew,” Severus accused. “You knew about this.”

Remus said nothing. He didn’t even look at his brother.

Harry could feel the anger, no, rage coming from his da. Harry wanted to comfort his da, but when he leaned into Severus’ side, he didn’t feel the warmth he usually did. Harry looked over at Grandpa Albus and didn’t see the usual twinkle in his eyes. Something was very wrong and for the first time since he was bitten, Harry felt true fear. And he didn’t know what to do.

“Answer me, wolf,” Severus growled.

The vampire within Severus was coming out stronger and stronger. His eyes were turning red. The pupils were becoming slits.

“Severus,” Albus warned.

Severus wasn’t hearing anything. His total focus was on his brother. When he didn’t get an answer, Severus growled as he rushed from his seat towards Remus. He gripped the werewolf, pulling him out of the chair. There was a low growl coming from Remus. Before Severus could do any damage, Albus was out of his seat hastily reached for Severus with a strength that didn’t match the age of the man. Albus manhandled both of his sons, knocking Remus on the floor and breaking Severus’ grip on Remus. Albus had Severus against the wall. Remus was lying on the floor from the altercation, his eyes turning amber; the wolf was coming out.

Harry’s eyes were huge, looking at what was happening in front of him.

Severus was growling, trying to snap at Albus. His fangs were exposed. Severus was foaming at the mouth. Severus, the man, was no longer in control. The true vampire was out.

Albus had his hand against Severus’ throat, pinning him so his head was against the wall. The Headmaster knew how much pressure he needed to restrain his son so he wouldn’t hurt Severus. As much strength Severus was using trying to get away from Albus, the Headmaster was able to restrain the vampire with little effort.

Harry didn’t know what to do. His heart was racing. He looked at his new family and thought maybe Professor McGonagall was right. Maybe not staying in the Gryffindor tower was the better idea.

As he continued to watch what was happening in front of him, conflicting feelings were boiling in Harry: fear and rage. He didn’t know which to act on. Part of the child wanted to run away. The other wanted to defend his da. He didn’t like how his da was being restrained. A low growl sounded from the fledgling’s throat.

Albus didn’t bother with talking to Severus. He knew the vampire was too far gone. There was no talking his way in calming his son down. As one hand was wrapped around Severus’ throat, the other was lying flat against his heart.

Albus has been dealing with his sons’ rages since they were teens. He knew how to handle them. He loved his sons. He was protective of his sons. And there was no way he would let anyone hurt them because of what they were. It had been a long time since his boys got to this level. Yes, he was able to contain both. He wasn’t the most powerful wizard for nothing. Even when it happened at the same time, which was about to happen now, he was still able to contain them. Deep down, he just knew he was getting too old for this.

Albus couldn’t reason with Severus, but he could with Remus. The good thing about Remus was that even if the wolf came out, if it wasn’t a full moon, Remus would still hear Albus to calm him down.

“Remus,” Albus’ tone was cold as steel. “I will not have fighting in this house.”

Even with Albus not looking at his oldest son, his power could quell Moony’s rage.

“He attacked me,” Remus growled, as he stood up.

“And I am dealing with your brother.”

There was a low growl that cut into the two’s talk. Remus looked over at Harry and the werewolf’s rage doubled.

Harry’s eyes turned red. He was trembling as well as growling. Harry was curled on the couch. His feet were under him, knees bent, muscles taut. Using the couch as a trampoline, Harry catapulted in the air. His goal: getting to his da to protect him. His efforts were thwarted when arms wrapped around Harry’s waist, stopping him in mid-air.

Harry’s sight to his goal was stopped. His vision blurred as he was pulled back against the couch and pinned down. This time Harry’s fear overwhelmed his rage. He was looking up at an irate, angry werewolf. Remus growled over him. Harry’s growl turned to a whimper. Tears brimmed the fledgling’s eyes.

Hearing the whine of his fledgling caused Severus’ vision to clear. The rage was still there, but Severus, the man, was starting to come back to the forefront, meaning Albus would be able to talk to his son and calm Severus down. Severus could feel his father’s magic soothing him, trying to bring him back to himself. Severus looked over Albus’ shoulder and saw Remus pinning down his son.

“Get off my fledgling,” Severus ordered. 

“He will learn his place,” Remus growled.

Remus had Harry’s hand pinned above his head. A keening noise escaped Harry’s lips causing a change in both men. Remus’ grip loosened as he sat up. Tears blurred Severus’ eyes. The soft wailing was as if a knife was piercing through Severus’ heart.

“Let me go to my fledgling,” Severus growled hoarsely.

Severus was coming back to himself, but the vampire was still present.

Albus could feel Severus’ heart calming down. His grip on his son wasn’t as intense as before. The hand that was around Severus’ throat loosened to where his fingers were rubbing soothing circles, trying to relieve the tension in Severus’ neck.

Harry’s whining started to get louder. Tears streaming into the boy’s hair. He wasn’t fighting Remus’ hold on him. Harry was petrified.

“I need all three of you to calm down,” Albus ordered.

“I need my fledgling,” Severus pleaded.

“Are you calming down?” Albus asked.

Severus looked at his adopted father and nodded.

“If I let you go, will you act like the civilized man I know you can be?” Albus asked.

Severus could feel the disappointment coming from Albus. Shame coursed through him, his bottom lip quivered, realizing how he just acted. He lowered his head as much as he could. Severus knew he was above this. Severus was ashamed. He almost attacked his brother, his fledgling was scared, and his father was angry. Severus closed his eyes.   

A curled finger lifted Severus’ chin; he was looking at Albus.

“None of that,” Albus said soothingly.

Severus saw Albus’ eyes weren’t cold. His eyes showed compassion that Severus knew he didn’t deserve.

Albus’ hand snaked to the back of Severus’ neck and pulled his son into an embrace.

“I know you are upset,” Albus whispered in Severus’ ear. “We will get through this. As a family. I will not have my sons fighting each other. This family will stay together.”

Severus heard the steely determination in Albus’ voice that demanded obedience.

“Remus,” Albus called out. “Step away from Harry and leave.”

Remus released Harry’s hands and stood from the sofa. When he walked past Albus and Severus, Remus saw that Albus tightened his arms.

“You will speak with your brother later,” Albus said softly. To Remus he said, “Go to my study. We have things to talk about.”

Remus didn’t say anything. He knew when Albus made an order it was to be followed to the letter. Remus slowly headed towards the stairs.

Albus pushed Severus to arm’s length. “Go calm down my grandson,” Albus said. “But do not leave this room until I come back. I do not want a repeat of what just happened.”

Severus nodded. Albus once again curled his finger under Severus’ chin and made the Potions Master look at him. Severus knew the unspoken command.

“I understand, dad,” Severus said quietly.

“It will be fine,” Albus said, backing away from Severus and leaving the sitting room.

When Remus left the sitting room, Harry curled himself into the corner of the sofa as if he was trying to disappear into the cushions.

When Albus left, Severus looked at his fledgling and could feel his child’s fear. Slowly he walked towards Harry. Sitting down next to Harry, reaching out to pull the child towards him, Harry flinched away not wanting Severus to touch him.

“No,” Harry whined.

“Fledgling,” Severus whispered. “I’m here. I—.”

“I want grandpa,” Harry squealed. “I need grandpa!”

Harry jumped from the sofa and ran out of the room. Severus, shocked, sat looking at the spot of the sofa where Harry was just sitting.

___000___000___000

When Albus walked into his study, he saw Remus sitting in one of the chairs across from his desk. His head bowed. Albus sighed. He loved his sons. He hated how they were raised. Every time they felt they were in trouble with him or knew that they did something to disappoint Albus, they would have this fear that they would be beaten.

Albus walked over to Remus, putting his hand on the werewolf’s shoulder.

Remus tried to move away from Albus’ hand.

The flinching Albus witnessed made him wish Remus’ father was still alive.

The same promise Albus told Severus, he told Remus. “I am not Lyall. I will never touch you in anger. You are safe with me.”

“I know,” Remus said. “I was deep in thought. I didn’t hear you come in.”

Albus walked around his desk and sat down.

“You know better than to lie to me,” Albus said, smirking. “I know you heard me walking down the hallway.”

That brought a little levity into the room. It didn’t feel so tense. Getting right to the issue, Albus asked, “When did you learn about the escape?”

“I saw it while I was at Diagon Alley,” Remus said.

“I take it you were not contacted before arriving at Hogwarts. I’ve seen you and James stick up for the boy before.”

“I swear, I didn’t know,” Remus pleaded. “I didn’t. I was just as surprised when I saw the headline.”

Albus was going to say something else, when he was interrupted by Harry rushing into the room. The boy went straight to Albus, wrapping his arms around the elder man’s neck, burying his face in the crook of Albus’ neck. Albus instantly wrapped his arms around his grandson, pulling the small child onto his lap.

“We’ll continue this later,” Albus said with finality, letting Remus know he was excused.

Remus walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Albus could feel Harry’s shoulders shaking. He rocked from side to side, humming a tune he used when either Severus or Remus was distraught. Albus didn’t try to talk to the boy. He waited for Harry to calm himself.

After a few minutes, Harry’s sobs turned to just sniffles.

“Are you ready to talk, Little one?” Albus asked. The tone of his voice was back to the grandfatherly tone Harry was used to.

Harry was still buried in Albus’ robes.

“I don’t want to stay,” Harry’s muffled voice came through.

Albus heart sunk. What has happened?

“You don’t want to stay with us anymore?” Albus asked. “Please, do not take what happened downstairs as something that happens all the time.”

It had only been two days, and Harry wasn’t comfortable with them. Harry shook his head against Albus’ shoulder.

“Professor McGonagall was right,” Harry cried, lifting his head, so he could look at Albus. “I’m a monster.”

Harry lowered his head, wanting comfort, leaning against Albus’ shoulder.

“No,” Albus said brooking no argument. He lifted Harry and stood the child in front of him between his spread knees. “You are not a monster. And I don’t ever want to hear you talk like that again. Do you understand?”

Harry was shocked silent by the tone of Albus’ voice, but at the same time, he couldn’t help but feel loved at the Headmaster’s conviction.

“Professor McGonagall was not right,” Albus continued. “Do you understand?”

Harry nodded.

“No.” Albus shook his head. “Verbal response.”

“Yes, sir.”

Albus’ eyes twinkled, and a smile widened on the man’s face. “Very good. Now, do you want to explain what’s going on with you?”

“I didn’t like what happened downstairs,” Harry confessed. “I don’t like feeling like that. It was scary. I’ll move out of the Tower. I don’t want it to be like that with Hermione and Ron.”

“What is it that you think will happen?”

“I almost attacked you,” Harry said. “Da and Uncle Remus were fighting. I don’t like feeling like that. It’s scary. I could do that to Ron and Hermione! I don’t want to hurt them. They’re my friends.”

“You won’t,” Albus assured. “And between me, Severus, and Remus, we will teach you how to control it.”

“But I was scared,” Harry whispered.

“I’m sure,” Albus said, bringing Harry into an embrace, pulling the boy up on his lap again. Harry absentmindedly twirling his fingers in Albus’ beard. “It was very intense downstairs.”

Harry nodded.

They were silent for a second when Harry spoke.

“Do you think Da’s mad at me?” Harry asked.

Albus’ brow furrowed as he tilted his head so he could look at Harry.

“Why would Severus be angry with you?”

“I needed to come to you. To make sure you weren’t mad at me.”

Albus nodded his understanding. “You thought since your instincts wanted you to attack me because of what happened in the sitting room that I would be angry at you?”

Not wanting to voice his wrong deed, Harry nodded, leaning more into Albus scared that his grandpa would reject him.

Albus chuckled, tightening his arms around Harry, pulling him closer.

“Dear, child, do you think that was the first time it has happened?” Albus asked. “I would never stop loving you. I would never stop caring for you. You’re my grandchild now. And besides those two were always at each other’s throat for one thing or another. And I love them just the same. This is just another disagreement. It will get better.”

___000___000___000

Severus was still on the sofa. He couldn’t move.

What just happened? Everything was going fine. He rejected me.

Severus felt like he couldn’t breathe.

“Sev. I swear to you, I didn’t know.”

Severus said nothing.

Remus walked into the sitting room and sat at the spot Harry just vacated.

“I don’t like it when we fight,” Remus pleaded. “I promise. I just found out this morning.”

Severus looked up at Remus. Looking at his brother, Remus knew this demeanor wasn’t because of their dispute; this was something else.

“Severus,” Remus said, scooting closer to his brother, cupping the Potions Master’s face. “Severus.”

Severus made no indication outside of blinking, of making any movement.

“DAD!”

___000___000___000

“Are you feeling better?” Albus asked, looking down at the small child leaning on his shoulder.

Harry nodded. “Yeah, better.”

“DAD!”

The yelling got both of their attention. Albus lowered Harry to the floor and both went to find out whatever the problem was.

Walking into the sitting room, Albus and Harry saw Remus trying to get Severus’ attention.

“What happened?” Albus asked, moving towards his sons.

“I didn’t do this,” Remus said quickly, standing up.

“I didn’t say you did,” Albus soothing Remus.

Albus sat down where Remus just vacated.

“Oh, Severus. What am I going to do with you boys?” Albus smiled sadly, cupping Severus’ face.

Harry slowly walked closer to Severus. He didn’t understand what was going on. The child was feeling things that didn’t make sense. Anger. Fear. Hatred.

“Da,” Harry whispered.

Instantly, Severus snapped out of his catatonic state and rushed to Harry at a speed that surprised Albus and Remus. A strained gargle sound came out of the child when Severus bit down on the boy’s neck.

For a second, neither Albus nor Remus tried to stop what was happening. Realizing what was happening, they rushed to the two vampires. Like the first encounter, Albus and Remus had to separate the vampires. Severus was trying to kill Harry. Again, Remus had a now unconscious Harry in his arms, and Albus had his arms wrapped around Severus.

“Take Harry to your room,” Albus ordered.

Albus apparated Severus to the Safe Room closed off in the basement.

When Albus had the cottage built, he did so with his sons in mind. He loved his boys. He didn’t see their affliction as handicaps but as ailments. He designed a Safe Room for when things became unmanageable. The only way in was by apparating. Albus was the only one who could apparate in, and he was the only way his sons could come out of that room.

Albus was adamant that his sons were not monsters. But he wasn’t naïve to what they were capable of. He knew if Severus didn’t take his potions, or his emotions were elevated, he could be dangerous. When he first adopted Severus, it was for this very reason.

In Severus’ third year, there was an attack at the school. Many of the students were safe, but there were a few that were hurt. Thankfully none of them were killed. Severus was in detention, serving it in the Forbidden Forest, picking a few potions ingredients with Professor Slughorn. Severus somehow got separated from Slughorn and was attacked. When Severus was found, he was barely alive.

Severus’ change was incomplete. Unlike Harry who was able to drink from Severus, Severus didn’t drink from his attacker. So, they had to improvise. Horace brewed a potion that satisfied Severus’ blood thirst and kept the boy alive. But it wasn’t a cure, only a Band-Aid. Albus studied on how he could save the child and learned that blood from another creature would keep Severus alive.

Once Severus was stabilized, Albus sent for Remus. Remus had been with Albus since the child was ten. Albus was the one to visit Remus’ family, letting them know that he would attend Hogwarts. Hearing how his father, Lyall, treated Remus and made him feel didn’t sit well with the Headmaster. Having a strange feeling, Albus returned to Remus’ home and learned how Remus was treated. The Headmaster removed the child from his parents that night. It wasn’t hard to convince his parents as they didn’t want Remus around anyway. Between Remus, Albus and Horace, they were able to save Severus.

It was a closed off 9’x9’ room. No doors. No windows. There was a bed, small table and chair. In the far corner was a small curtain off loo.

Albus sat Severus down on the bed and pulled out the chair and sat by the bed.

“What is going on with you?” Albus asked, looking at his son.

Severus glared at Albus but didn’t answer.

“You will not leave this room, so you might as well talk,” Albus said.

Albus waved his hand and a small cup of tea floated next to him. He was angry with Severus, but he knew he needed to calm down.

“Father, this is absurd,” Severus growled.

“I don’t think so,” Albus calmly said. “You attacked your fledgling.”

“I have no fledgling,” Severus said, crossing his arms across his chest.

Albus looked at the Potions Master sitting across from him. He wanted to be amused at how childish Severus was behaving, but the circumstances were anything but amusing.

“Then who is young Harry?” Albus asked, sipping his tea.

“A waste.”

Albus’ clear blue eyes turned cold. It’d been a long time he’d had to punish his sons. He told his boys that he never raised a hand to them, and that was true, but that didn’t stop him from punishing them. How Severus was acting was unacceptable.

___000___000___000

Remus waved his hand over Harry’s neck, closing the bite. He walked into Harry’s room and sat down on the bed. Harry cradled on his lap. Remus spoke softly to Harry trying to get the child out of the state he was in.

Harry stared blankly across the room. His emerald eyes that used to have light in them were dull. Harry didn’t understand what just happened, but he knew whatever it was it hurt deep down; it was worse than any beating his uncle ever gave him.

“Come on, my cub,” Remus said softly. “Talk to me. Let me hear your voice.”

Remus brought Harry closer, rocking from side to side. He hated this. Remus wished he never went to Diagon Alley. If he didn’t go, then he wouldn’t have known that Sirius escaped, and none of this would have happened.

___000___000___000

“A waste,” Albus growled. “How dare you?”

“Oh, please,” Severus growled.

Severus stood up and started pacing inside the small room.

“I knew this was a bad idea. He’s just liked his father. Arrogant. Spoilt. Thinks he is too good to be with the Bat of the Dungeon. He shouldn’t have been turned. I told you that. And then after all that, he rejects me anyway.”

Albus said nothing. He just watched his son pace back and forth spewing lies after lies. The more Severus talked the angrier Albus was becoming. Albus stood up, waving his hand making the teacup disappear.

“Enough,” Albus’ voice boomed, reverberating off the wall of the enclosed room.

Severus stopped instantly, turning to face Albus. He noticed the temperature dropped. Looking at Albus, he knew his adopted father was angry.

“Do you hear yourself?” Albus asked. “Do you hear how idiotic you sound? At what point while we were at his relatives’ house, what made you believe that child was spoiled? His clothes? The work they made him do?”

Severus said nothing. He lowered his head, looking at the floor. He knew he was out of line saying that. He was hurt and he lashed out.

“My eyes are up here,” Albus growled.

Severus looked into those ice-cold blue eyes, and it felt like he would be sick.

“You accuse that child of being arrogant. The only spoilt, arrogant child in this house is you.”

Severus took a step back. The anger and hurt he was feeling earlier, quickly evaporated.

“You turned your back on your fledgling,” Albus accused.

“He rejected me,” Severus said, but his tone showed he wasn’t as confident with that assessment as he was before. “He left me.”

“He rejected you?” Albus shook his head. “He left you? Do you have any idea of what happened? Did you even use your bond to see what he was feeling?” Albus walked up on Severus. They were standing face to face. “Did you? No! You didn’t.”

Albus stepped away from Severus, trying to calm down. The Headmaster took several deep breaths, holding the air in for a while and slowly releasing it. He promised that he would never come to his sons in anger, and he was going to keep that promise.

Seeing Albus step away from him, Severus felt a different hurt. A hurt that he truly killed something between them. That everything everyone said about him was true. Tobias was right. James Potter was right. Lucius Malfoy was right. The Dark Lord was right. Everything he touched becomes destroyed.

Albus turned and faced his son. His tone was quiet.

“Your fledgling came to me because he was scared about his reaction to me while I was restraining you. You were so set on attacking your brother, did you not even know that Harry went into a blood rage wanting to protect you? That single act scared him. He was afraid of what he would do. The child believed that he should stay away from his friends. He assumed I was cross with him because he tried to attack me.”

Severus’ heart broke listening to his dad. He destroys everything. He was too upset to reply.

“Your fledgling,” Albus said, putting emphasis on “your,” “came running to you when Remus called us. He was coming to soothe you when you attacked him.”

Severus lowered his head. Tears burned his eyes. Regret and heartbreak crushed his soul. He couldn’t even look at his father anymore.

“If anyone rejected someone,” Albus said softly, “it was you.”

Severus looked up to meet Albus’ eyes. They were not as cold as they were before. They were now filled with disappointment. Severus didn’t try to stop the tears that flowed down his cheeks.  

“You think about that,” Albus said.

He apparated away, leaving Severus alone in the safe room. 

TBC