Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

A special thanks to The Lonely God With a Box for beta’ing my chapter.

A/N: I deeply apologize for the lack of updates. I know it’s been over a year since I’ve last posted, and I’m sorry. I hope that it won’t take me this long to update again. *fingers crossed*

Enjoy!
Chapter 16

Chapter 16 

Albus appeared in the kitchen and sighed. This was not how he wanted this summer to go. Trying to calm his nerves, he busied himself making breakfast. When his boys were younger, he found that doing something menial usually got him to calm his nerves when there were days like this. Being a well-renowned wizard, Albus could easily wave his wand, and their breakfast would be ready and waiting for everyone to sit and enjoy. But he didn’t want that. Taking his time, he could lose himself in the repetition of the meal while meditating on what was on his mind at the time.

As he gathered all the supplies and food he needed, he thought over everything that happened: Harry being turned, Remus coming home. His family was growing. Once again, he was having to deal with Minerva’s prejudice. And now, an escaped ex-student. All that on top of two stubborn, temperamental, prideful men he had the honor of calling sons.

A slight chuckle slipped from Albus’ lips as he shook his head. His life is never dull.

___000___000___000

Remus held Harry, and he refused to put the child down. While rocking Harry, he noticed that the child had fallen asleep. He hoped that the rest could ease some of the boy's hurt.

This whole thing has been one disaster after another, Remus thought.

Movement in his arms brought Remus out of his musing.

“Harry,” Remus whispered, looking down at the child on his lap.

Remus saw Harry’s tear-pooled emerald eyes staring in the distance. The last Marauder’s heart broke for the child.

“I’ll always be a freak,” Harry murmured to himself. 

“What?” Remus asked as he looked down at his nephew in his arms. He tried and failed to keep his growling out of his tone.

Harry was startled out of his inner thoughts and realized that he was with Remus. Fear entered his eyes as he looked up at the werewolf, and he remembered the feeling of being pinned down by him, and Remus was scary. 

Harry squirmed, trying to get out of Remus’ grasp.

Remus tried to keep a hold of the child, but he found that the boy was hard to keep still.

“Please, Harry,” Remus pleaded. “Calm down.”

“No!” Harry yelled. “Get away from me.”

“Harry, please,” Remus pleaded. 

“I want my da!” Harry apparated off Remus’ lap.

“Harry!”

___000___000___000

Severus was sitting on the small cot in the room. Rummaging in his pocket, he remembered the shrunken items from Harry’s cupboard he put there. Pulling them out, he resized them. 


The blue blanket looked old, dirty, and tattered; it was too small for Harry to use sufficient coverage from the cold. He put the cloth under his nose and took a deep breath. Severus could smell his fledgling all over the fabric. Tears burned his eyes, and he remembered what he did to the boy. 


He tried to kill him. 


He wasn’t meant to be with anyone. 


Everything he touched, he destroyed.


Severus dropped the blanket on his lap and looked at the toys. A headless soldier riding horseback; the paint chipped, the sword it should have been holding in his outstretched arm was broken. Another toy was of a green soldier, but it was also headless. 


Severus’ heart shattered, looking at these items. Harry wasn’t spoiled. He was neglected, he was abused and now rejected. Severus dropped the toys and buried his head in his hand.


The sound of an apparition pop brought Severus from his musings. 


___000___000___000

Remus rushed downstairs in search of his adopted father. 


“Dad,” Remus shouted. 


“In the kitchen,” Albus said. “Bring Harry with you. Breakfast is almost ready.”


“That’s the thing,” Remus said, standing in the doorway. “Harry’s gone. He apparated from my arms.”


For a second, Albus was worried about where his grandson was, but just as instantly, the anxiety disappeared. A small smile graced his lips.


“All is fine, Remus,” Albus soothed. “Come sit. We’ll have breakfast as a family.”



___000___000___000

Hearing an apparition pop, Severus figured he was getting another lecture from his father, as he was the only one that could come in or out of the room. But the voice he heard wasn’t Albus.


“Da.”


Severus’ head popped up. Harry was standing in front of him. His brow creased as he was unsure how Harry got in the room.


“Fledgling,” Severus said softly. “I’m so sorry.”


“It’s my fault,” Harry said quickly. “I knew I would mess things up. Just like my uncle said: I’m a freak.”


A low growl escaped Severus’ throat as he reached out and gripped Harry’s arms. The items on his lap fell to the floor, and he pulled the boy onto his lap. 


Gripping the child’s face in his cupped hands, “You are not a freak. And I will keep telling you that until you believe me.”


“But I did something bad,” Harry exclaimed.


“No,” Severus said, shaking his head. “I did. My insecurities reared their ugly head. Things I’ve been battling…”


Harry could feel the remorse coming from his da. He reached out and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck.


Severus gasped at the surprised hug, returning the hug just as fiercely. Tears streamed down his face at the second chance he was getting and the event he would never take for granted.


___000___000___000

Minerva walked down the corridor heading to the gargoyle. Saying the password, Minerva waited.


Nothing happened.


Minerva creased her forehead. This shouldn’t be. Being a curious cat, she knew a spot on the stone griffin, even though Albus only permitted Severus and Remus to know where it was. Minerva had her ways. 


Reaching for the spot, she smirked to herself for her ingeniousness, feeling that she one-upped Albus. The smirk disappeared when nothing happened; the area didn’t work. She knew this was the right spot. She has seen Severus hitting that spot several times.


Minerva huffed her annoyance and turned away from the entrance. A slight smirk appeared on the stoned griffin gargoyle.


Poppy was in her office getting her final filing finished. She was ready to head home. It has been a long year.


“Poppy.”


Poppy lowered her head, sighing. She didn’t get this many visitors during the school year.  But now, she couldn’t get a minute’s peace. And the last person she wanted to talk to was Minerva. 


“In here, Minerva,” Poppy sighed. 


Minerva walked into Poppy’s office. 


“How can I help you, Minerva?” Poppy asked, walking over to put her last files away. 


“Are you leaving?” Minerva asked.


“Trying,” Poppy said. “I want some time with my sister.”


“I understand,” Minerva said, nodding. “Have you talked to Albus recently?”


“Yesterday,” Poppy answered. “He told me he was heading home.”


“What do you think about what happened to Harry?” Minerva asked, stepping closer to Poppy’s desk.


“It doesn’t matter what I think,” Poppy shrugged, waving her wand bringing her small suitcase to her desk. “Just make the best of it.”


“He’s dangerous now,” Minerva said. 


“Minerva, really?” Poppy stopped packing and looked at the Transfiguration Professor.


“The first year of transformation is hard for a vampire,” Minerva said. “He can’t control his blood rage.”


“Yes,” Poppy agreed. “But that is if the young vampire is alone, and Harry’s not alone. Severus is here, and Remus will be here to help out.” 


“Please,” Minerva scoffed. “Severus Snape and Harry Potter. Do you really believe that pairing will work? You remember how Severus was when Harry arrived. Do you really believe that he’s instantly changed?”


Poppy said nothing. 


“I need your assistance during this school year,” Minerva said. 


“What?” Poppy asked incredulously. 


“I can’t have Harry in the Tower. The only way I can get him out is with a recommendation from you that he will be too dangerous.”


“I can’t do that,” Poppy said, astonished by what Minerva was asking. “Harry isn’t dangerous.”


“He is,” Minerva said. “And I need to keep my other Gryffindors safe. I know you will do the right thing.”


Poppy was shocked, speechless at Minerva’s attitude.


“Have a wonderful holiday,” Minerva said, leaving the Infirmary.


___000___000___000

Albus finished making breakfast. Albus filled the table with eggs, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, sausages, and scones. Albus tended to overdo it when he has a lot on his mind. Remus wanted to smile at the abundant amount of food on the table, but the fear he saw in Harry’s eyes before the child apparated was like a stone in his gut. He didn’t like that feeling. Harry was scared of him. Remus didn’t intend to frighten the boy. He only wanted to restrain him. He couldn’t eat with this guilt growing inside him. 


“I’ll be back,” Albus said, apparating out of the kitchen.


When he arrived in the secluded room, he saw his son cradling his fledgling.


“If I let you eat at the table,” Albus said. “Will you act like the respectful adult I know you can be?”


“Yes.” Severus nodded. 


“Harry, my boy,” Albus said soothingly. “Can you come to me?”


Albus sat on the chair that was across from Severus.


Harry’s grip tightened around Severus’ neck. He didn’t want to let go. Even though Grandpa Albus said he wasn’t upset by him almost attacking him, Harry was still worried that he messed things up between them.


Severus lightly tapped on his back, somehow letting him know it would be alright. Sliding off his Da’s lap, Harry walked over to his Grandpa. 


“Hey, Grandpa,” Harry said softly. Harry stood in front of Albus, head down like he would do when facing his Uncle Vernon.


“Harry, dear child, are you hungry?” Albus asked.


Harry’s brow furrowed as his head snapped up looking at Albus. He was not expecting that question to be asked.


“Uh, yeah.” Harry shrugged. 


“Wonderful,” Albus said cheerfully, clapping his hands. “Let’s go have breakfast. Remus is waiting for us.”


Albus gripped Harry’s hand as he stood up. 


“Grandpa?”


“Yes, Harry.”


“Where are we?” Harry asked, now that he was getting a good look around the closed-off room.


Albus reached out for Severus. The Potions Master stood and grabbed the outstretched hand. 


“This is a kind of time-out for when my boys are naughty,” Albus said, smirking at a red-faced Severus. “Hold tight,” was Albus’ only warning before apparating his family out of the room into the kitchen. 


“So, as long as you are well behaved,” Albus continued talking to Harry, “you won’t have to worry about that room.”


Albus put his hand on Harry’s shoulder and walked him towards the table, giving him a plate.


Remus got up and went to his brother, who was still standing where he landed.


“I’m sorry, Severus,” Remus said. “I honestly didn’t know.”


Severus looked at Remus and could tell that his brother was telling the truth. Deep down he knew that Remus would never purposely hurt him like that, but it didn’t make the memories of the torment he went through because of Black go away.


Severus nodded and walked around Remus and sat down next to Harry at the table. 


Remus sighed and walked back to his seat. Sitting across from Harry, Remus saw the fear that Harry was showing towards him. Remus didn’t like that look. It was the same look he got from his parents. That look of fear ate away at the werewolf. 


Severus noticed the tense looks between his brother and his fledgling. 


Remus wanted to get up and leave, but Albus gripped the werewolf’s wrist, keeping him seated.   


___000___000___000

Breakfast was a quiet affair. It was a direct contrast to what happened earlier that morning. There wasn’t much talking, but it was tense. Afterward, everyone went their separate ways. 


Harry got to his room and saw that Hedwig returned. With the morning he’d had, he really hoped that the letters that Hedwig was holding would have some good news in them. 


Harry took the letter while giving his owl a small treat. Both Ron and Hermione replied to his letters. 


Taking a deep breath, Harry sat at the desk and read his friends’ letters. 


Harry,

I’m glad to hear that you are away from your relatives. Means that Fred, George, and I won’t have to come get you again. You never said where you were. Who are you with? (Okay, so he chickened out on telling them everything. He didn’t want to explain everything in a letter.) Is it safer than before? I would love to come over, but we just won the lottery! We are going to Egypt. We’ll be gone for a whole month. We’ll be back a week before school starts. Maybe I can see where you are then.

Well, I have to go. Mum wants us to pack our things. The portkey is scheduled for tonight. I’ll see if I can find you something. 

Later, Harry.

Ron 

 

~~~

Hello Harry,

I’m so glad to hear from you. I’m happy that you are away from your relatives. I don’t know what you’ve been through, but I know it wasn’t good. I’ve seen how closed off you were when we arrived at the train. I hope wherever you are you are happy. 

My holiday is going great. We went to Austria. We are in Salzburg, after that, we’re going to Linz. We’re ending the trip going to Italy. These places are breathtaking. We’ve seen Hohensalzburg Castle, Mirabell Palace. I’ve taken plenty of pictures. (I can’t wait to show you.) That was while we were in Salzburg. When we get to Linz, we’re going to see some of the cathedrals. The last destination will be some time in Italy. 

I’ll write to you again when we get home. It should be two weeks before school starts.

Have fun wherever you are. I’ll try to get you a souvenir. 

Love,

Hermione

 

Harry liked that his friends were seeing all those different places. If he received these letters last week Harry would probably be envious of his friends’ vacations. But now that he’s gotten a new family, going to Austria or Africa doesn’t seem outside the realm of possibilities. 


That thought made Harry smile.


Harry was sitting at his desk when there was a knock on the door. 


“Harry,” Remus called out softly.


A small shiver ran up Harry’s spine. There was still some fear of what happened earlier. But Harry also knew that deep down Remus wouldn’t hurt him. It was a scary encounter. 


“Harry, can I come in?”


Hearing how vulnerable Remus sounded made Harry turn and face his uncle. 


“Yeah,” Harry said softly.


Remus walked in and sat on the end of the bed, facing the desk. “I know what happened this morning was frightening.”


Harry nodded his agreement.


“I didn’t mean to scare you,” Remus confessed. “I hope you know I would never hurt you.”


There was a pregnant pause. Remus didn’t think that Harry would respond. He was about to stand when Harry spoke up.


“It was scary,” Harry said. “The whole thing.”


“I know,” Remus agreed. “Do you want to talk about what happened?”


“I don’t know,” Harry said. “I’m not scared of you as much as I’m scared of myself.”


“There was fear in your eyes,” Remus said. 


“Yeah,” Harry agreed. “I was scared of myself. I don’t like this. This side of me. I almost attacked Grandpa.”


“If I could take what I did to you back, I would.”


Remus and Harry turned towards the door. Severus was leaning against the door frame.


“I was reckless,” Severus said, walking over towards Harry. “I should have taken care of myself. I put you and anyone around me in danger.”


Harry could feel his Da’s regret and remorse.


“Da,” Harry said, cutting Severus off. “No! I told you I don’t mind what happened to me. You gave me a family.”


“Harry,” Severus said, crouching in front of Harry.


“I’m scared of hurting Ron and Hermione,” Harry confessed. “I don’t want to hurt them like I almost hurt Grandpa.”


Severus stood up picking Harry up off the desk chair, sitting down on it himself, and placing Harry on his lap. 


“Listen, Harry,” Severus said, situating Harry so he was laying against his shoulder. “Do you remember when I told you that your emotions were more heightened because you were just turned?”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded, absentmindedly snuggling closer, getting more comfortable.


Severus and Remus looked at each other. Remus got the hint that he was no longer needed, and he got up and left.


“Well,” Severus continued, “this is part of that. This was the first time you had a complete blood rage. Right now, it will only happen if you feel that there is a threat against me. As your powers mature, it will most likely extend towards Remus, Albus, and your friends.”


“Da, is there a chance I could attack Ron and Hermione?” Harry asked, looking up at Severus.


Severus wanted to say no, that he wouldn’t attack them. He said the same thing about himself; that he would never attack anyone. And proof that he lied to himself is in his arms right now. Not wanting to lie to his fledgling, he answered the best way he could.


“I will not say never,” Severus said, sighing. “I will say that if you practice taking care of yourself, listening to your body, you can spend as much time with your friends as you want. Do not underestimate yourself.”


___000___000___000 

It had been ten days since the news of Sirius’ escape was in the paper. Though there haven’t been any more fights, there was a little tension between Remus and Severus even though they haven’t been talking. 


Severus was in his laboratory working on several of the potions that were needed for the Infirmary. He had five cauldrons all in different stages of brewing. 


Remus stood in the doorway of the lab, knocking on the frame. 


“Severus, can we talk?”


“I’m in a good spot,” Severus replied.


“Where’s Harry?” Remus asked, walking further into the laboratory.


“Albus wanted to spend the day with him,” Severus replied.


“Severus,” Remus started. “I owe you an apology.”


“Remus-”


“No,” raising his hand to halt Severus from talking, “let me say this. I didn’t know about the breakout from Azkaban. Not until the evening before you did.”


“Remus, listen,” Severus said. “I overreacted. My insecurities started this whole thing. Old hurts from the past came rushing back when I saw his name.”


“I don’t want this to jeopardize our friendship. And I don’t like this tension between us.”


Severus nodded. Before Harry, he was never one to deal with his feelings. He and Remus always had an understanding between them. 


“Albus talked to you?” Severus asked after a bit of awkward silence.


A small smirk skirted the side of Remus’ mouth. “You know how dad is.”


“Meddling old coot is what he is,” Severus said, turning back to his potions.


Remus couldn’t help but chuckle at that. “Need any help, seeing as your helper is away.”


“No,” Severus said. “I’m almost done. Once they’re finished and cooling, I’ll take a break.” 


Remus nodded and clapped Severus on the shoulder. 


The sound of the back door opened and a voice yelling, “Da, Uncle Remus, we’re back.”


“As if we couldn’t hear it,” Severus said, sighing. 


“Come on,” Remus said. “You know Dad is going to want to know if we’ve made up.”


“Meddling old fool,” Severus grumbled as he extinguished the fires under each cauldron. 


TBC


To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
A/N: Thank you to everyone who stuck with me. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.


Please leave a review letting me know what you think.


Hugs and kisses!


Mandancie!