Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

It had been two years since Remus had been to Hogwarts. It wasn't by rejection that he stayed away so long. It was of guilt. He had not been able to forgive himself for what he did to his adoptive family. He wouldn't be at the school now, if the letter he received hadn't been insistent. Leave it to Albus to get his way, Remus thought as he walked up the walkway towards his old Alma Mater.

Walking into the castle brought back many memories to the werewolf. Good and bad memories. Seeing that not much has changed with the school, Remus headed towards Albus' office. At the end of the hallway sat the gargoyle that guarded the Headmaster's office.

“Password,” said the gargoyle.

“Is he in his office?” Remus asked.

“Finally come home,” the gargoyle replied. “He has missed you.”

“Yeah,” Remus said, reaching out and caressing the gargoyle's head, finding the spot that he used to touch when he was younger and wanted to get to his mentor's office, not knowing what the password was.

The gargoyle stepped aside. Remus walked up the spiral stairs.

“Come in, my boy,” Albus called from the other side of the door when Remus got to the top of the stairs.

Remus walked in and was quickly engulfed in a strong embrace. Shocked from the sudden contact, it took Remus a minute to return the hug.

“I'm so happy that you could come,” Albus said, holding the man he'd grown to love like a son out at arms length.

“Not that I had a choice,” Remus smirked.

“Now, now,” Albus said, walking back to his desk. “You had a choice.”

“Yeah,” Remus said, sitting down across from Albus' desk. “Come or else. You are aware that I'm not a child anymore.”

“You're still one of my boys,” Albus dismissed with a wave of his hand. “Now, you will take the position?”

“Yes,” Remus nodded. “I'll take the position. What will we do about...”

“Severus will brew your potion,” Albus said, cutting him off. “And he or I will substitute when you need it.”

“Does Severus really want me back here?”

“He will be fine,” Albus said. “I have both my boys back under one roof. All will be fine.”

“But...”

“No buts. All will be fine. You'll see. And once Severus returns, we'll have tea together. Just like old times.”

“I don't think that Severus will share your sentiments. I think the last person he would want to see is me.”

“Nonsense,” Albus countered. “He doesn't blame you.”

Remus didn't respond to that. He knew that Albus didn't know why he truly left. Severus was very adamant about his views. He blamed Remus and there was nothing that Albus could do to change the Potion Master's mind.

“He will be just as happy as I am to have you here,” Albus continued. “To have both my sons here under the same roof again is such a joy.”

Remus smiled at the endearment. Only Albus Dumbledore would think of a werewolf as a son. He was about to respond to Albus' statement when a small ringing sounded throughout the office.

Because of his keen hearing, Remus winced at the sound. Albus blanched at the same time.

Albus Dumbledore had always had trinkets around his office. Many who had seen Albus' collection just thought of them as little knickknacks. But in reality, there were a few that had their purposes. And at this moment one of them was going off.

“What is that?” Remus said through gritted teeth. The noise was starting to give him a headache.

“Oh, Severus,” Albus muttered as he stood, walking to the fireplace. “Poppy.”

“Yes, Albus,” the matron said as her head came through the green flames.

“Get Severus' potion ready. He's going to need it.”

Poppy nodded and her head disappeared from the flames. Albus stood up and walked over to Remus, who was clutching his head. Albus put his hand on top of Remus' head. He knew he couldn't stop the ringing until they got a hold of Severus. Albus just hoped that they could get him home in time before it got too bad.

That last thought didn't leave Albus' mind when another trinket went off. This one caused a growl from the werewolf. Albus' face fell when he saw what trinket was going off.

“Oh, no,” Albus gasped. “Harry.”

Albus left Remus' side and rushed to the floo.

“Come with me, Remus,” Albus ordered. “We're going to need Moony for this.”

Before Remus could say anything in response, Albus was throwing powder in the hearth and calling out his destination. Remus followed suit. Once they landed in Arabella's house, not even looking for the owner, Albus grabbed hold of Remus' arm and apparated away.

_______00000________0000_________0000____

A small voice in the back of Severus' head was telling him to stop. But his instincts were urging him to continue. The sweet red liquid was soothing his cravings. The more he drank the more his headache subsided. The more he drank the better his throat was feeling. His instincts wanted him to drink every drop of soothing liquid.

A pop brought his head up, letting go of his 'prey.'

“Sweet Merlin,” Remus gasped.

“Get Harry,” Albus ordered. “I'll bring Severus back.”

Seeing James' son in the clutches of the vampire, Remus' eyes changed from brown to amber. Moony was coming to the forefront, but Remus was in control since it wasn't a full moon.

Wanting to get to Severus, Remus took a step forward, but was stopped by a strong grip on his arm. He wanted to snatch his arm away. He wanted to get to the vampire. This wasn't his brother. This wasn't the same man who was in control. This was just a vampire feeding. Taking another step forward, Remus was stopped by an unbelievably strong hold Albus had on his arm let him know that resisting was not wise.

“Get Harry,” Albus said again. “Severus.”

Remus was amazed how Albus could make his voice sound gentle and stern at the same time. Severus looked from Remus to Albus. A low hiss came from the vampire. Remus and Albus moved at the same time. In their rush getting towards Harry and Severus, Severus didn't even have time to react.

Remus grabbed for Harry and snatched the small child from the vampire's hands. Quickly, pulling his robe to the child's neck and pressing it, Remus pulled the child to his chest and apparated away.

At the same time Remus was grabbing Harry, Albus wrapped his arms around his son and before Severus could even let out a moan of displeasure of his 'prey' being taken away from him, they too, apparated away.

The occupants in the house never once came out to see what was going on. To them and everyone else on Privet Drive, it was a normal, quiet day.

___________00000__________00000__________000000___

Remus apparated on the grounds in front of Hogwarts. As fast as he could, Remus ran up to the school.

“Poppy,” Remus growled as he burst through the doors of the Infirmary.

Poppy, coming out of the supply cupboard, saw Remus rushing towards a bed and laying a bundle down.

“What happened?” Poppy asked, going to his side. She gasped when she saw the blood.

“Severus bit him,” Remus replied.

Poppy began to work. She closed the wound on the child's neck. Accio'ing two potions from her cupboard, Dreamless Sleep and Blood Replenisher, she spelled both in the child's stomach.

“Where is Severus?” Poppy asked, turning and looking at Remus.

“Dad's got him,” Remus said, sitting down on the bed next to Harry's. “I don't know where they went.”

Poppy nodded at that response. She knew where Albus would have taken Severus. She was with Albus when Severus was first bitten as a child. They had to keep him away from everyone much the same way they did with Remus during the full moon.

“Stay with Harry,” Poppy ordered, heading towards her office.

Remus looked up at her and was on his feet. He intersected Poppy before she made it to her office.

“You know where they are?”

“Yes,” Poppy said. “But you're not going.”

“Dad's with that monster,” Remus growled. His eyes turning amber once again.

Poppy narrowed her eyes at the young man standing in front of her.

“Remus John Lupin-Snape-Dumbledore, what right do you have to call anyone a monster? Your father is with your brother,” Poppy said in a tone that broached no argument.

“That was not my brother.”

“And what makes you such a saint? Or had you forgotten what happened last time? As I recall, it was Severus, your brother, in the bed and you held away so you would not hurt another.”

Remus gasped at the tone as well as the words the matron said. He seemed to deflate in front of her. Poppy knew she was being harsh, but she also knew that she needed Remus to stay with Harry.

“Stay with Harry,” Poppy said. Her tone was much softer than before. “I'll be back and I'll have your father and brother with me.” She cupped the side of Remus' face and then went into her office.