Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3

Albus didn't apparate them back to Hogwarts. Severus was to volatile at the moment. Albus knew that since Remus had Harry, he would go straight to Poppy. And once she was aware of what happened, she would be at the shack promptly with Severus' potion. Albus knew he would just have to wait it out.

Albus had a strong hold on his adoptive son. Severus was strong, but the vampire couldn't escape the clutches that the old man had on him. If someone looked at the older man, most people would underestimate that he was not a strong person. Some would assume that they could put something over on the elderly wizard. That could not be further from the truth. Albus had a strength that didn't seem to match his elderly body. The vampire struggled to free himself, but the Headmaster would not let go.

When Severus realized that he was not going to be released, he wailed, moaned and howled at the injustice that seemed to fall upon him. Even though the beast inside him was mostly in control, Severus was aware of who was holding him and who took away his prey. All he wanted was more of that sweet liquid that soothed his parched throat. Why was his father being so mean and keeping him from that soothing liquid? He was thirsty, and the man who promised that he would never hurt him or deny him was doing just that. His brother promised that he would always be there for him. But he took away his prey. More wailing escaped his lips as he continued to struggle in the binding grip that held him.

“Let me go,” Severus growled. His voice was low and Albus could tell by the sound of it that it was thick with emotion.

Albus' response to the order was tightening his grip on his son. He moved one of his hands and cradled the back of Severus' head. Albus knew that Severus was in pain. It broke his heart to hear the despondent cries of his son. So with his hand on Severus' head, he began lowering Severus' head towards his neck. Albus knew he was taking a huge risk doing this, but he didn't know how long it would be before Poppy showed up and Severus' cries were breaking his heart.

Albus could feel his son's breath on his neck as he got closer but he could also feel the slight resistance. Albus couldn't help the small smile that came across his face. The resistance meant that there was still a little bit of Severus still there, not just the vampire.

Severus could feel himself being positioned towards his mentor's, his dad's, neck. A huge part of him wanted to clamp down and suck the body that took him away from his prey. But a small part, the human part, of him knew that he had done enough damage. The last thing he wanted to ever do was to hurt the man who was currently holding him. Albus was always there for him.

“It's alright, son,” Albus soothed. “All will be fine. I have you. Everything will soon be fine.”

Albus continued his soothing mantra as he coaxed his son's head closer towards his neck. Severus didn't resist. He allowed his head to be lowered. He felt Albus moving his own head to the side, exposing his neck more. Exposing that luscious sweet spot.

The sweet spot, as Severus once described it, was the spot at the base of the neck where it connected with the shoulder. This spot the blood flowed more freely. During one of the many talks that Severus had with Albus, Severus would mention that there were two 'sweet spots' on the human body; the neck and the groin.

Severus could hear the low soothing mantra, and he lowered his head until he rested his forehead on Albus' shoulder and sobbed. It seemed that the fight just left Severus.

Albus felt Severus' body sag against him. In that moment, Albus knew that Severus was really in control. He was never more proud of his son than he was at this moment. Slightly rocking back and forth, Albus kept hold of his son. His loving, soothing words never stopped.

At that very moment, Poppy apparated silently into the room. Albus, keeping a tight hold on his son, looked over his shoulder at the matron across the room. He slightly shook his head at Poppy, warning her not to come any closer. Though he had Severus calm, Albus also knew that Severus was unaware of the other presence in the room.

Poppy understood the warning and stayed were she was. Very quietly, she removed the phial from her pocket and held it out in her hand.

This was were things could go badly, quickly. In order to give Severus the potion, he was going to have to loosen he grip on the man. Several things could go wrong with this. Albus would lose his hold on the vampire. Severus would know that there was someone else in the room.

Albus knew that what happened next had to be precise and fast. Tightening his grip on Severus' head, Albus held out his other hand and silently accio'ed Severus' potion from Poppy to his hand. Once he had the potion and made sure he had a firm grip on his son's head, he began pushing Severus away so that he could give him the potion. What happened next surprised the old man. Albus was expecting Severus' vampire instincts to take over again, but that isn't what happened. Severus' hands were clinging to Albus' robes. When Albus was pushing Severus away, Severus was trying to pull Albus closer to him.

Poppy saw this exchange between the two wizards and hazarded a step closer. Could it be, she wondered. Her eyes and Albus' met as she got closer. She could hear a low keening growl coming from the Potion master.

“I'm sorry, Albus,” Severus said in a low growl, letting it be known that the vampire was still there. “Don't turn me away.”

The plea pierced Albus as if he was hit with a stinging hex. He quickly responded to soothe the worry in his son's mind.

“Never, my boy. I just want you to take your potion.”

Severus opened his eyes and saw another potion similar to the one that he'd dropped earlier. Albus brought the phial to his son's lips and Severus drank the contents without struggle.

“That's it,” Albus soothingly praised.

Once Severus finished the potion, Albus quickly brought his son back into his embrace.

“All will be better soon,” Albus said, as Severus sagged against him.

Poppy walked up to them, pulling out her wand to run a diagnosis on Severus. Albus could feel Severus tightening his grip on his robes and knew what happened next would have to be tread lightly. Yes, Albus was disappointed that Severus allowed himself to get to the point he had gotten today, but he also knew that Severus would punish himself a lot harder than was needed.

Seeing that there was nothing wrong with Severus, Poppy then conjured up a warm wet flannel and held it out for Albus. Albus took it.

“Severus,” Albus said. “We need to talk.”

He could feel Severus take in a deep breath before stepping away. Albus reached out and wiped Severus' chin and mouth of the residual blood that lingered there. Severus, still dealing with the effects of the potion and the euphoric feeling of drinking the sweet liquid, stood numbly as Albus cleaned his face. When his eyes came across a bloody patch on Albus' robes, Severus came out of his stupor.

“What happened?” Severus said, his voice sounding as if he'd just waken up. “What did I do?”

“You didn't tell me how bad it was before you left,” Albus chided.

“Albus, I -” Severus said but was cut off by the man.

“No. You knew you weren't feeling well. If it was that bad, why didn't you come to us?”

“What did I do?” Severus asked again. “Who did I kill?”

“You didn't kill anyone,” Poppy responded. “But he will die if you don't give him your blood.”

“What? No,” Severus said, shaking his head. “I will not turn anyone.”

“I've stabilized him,” Poppy said. “But he won't last without blood.”

“Whoever it is would be better off if he died than to live like this,” Severus growled.

“Severus,” Albus said. “You are not a murderer. I know you will not condemn him like that.”

“And this life is so much better,” Severus screamed. “I'm a monster.”

“You are not a monster,” Albus said, walking towards him. “You are my son.”

“You're just an old coot who believes there is good in everything,” Severus sneered. “I don't know why you bother.”

Albus smiled. He really loved his sons. He saw what everyone else overlooked. Remus and Severus had kind souls. They were just dealt a bad hand. People would just see a werewolf and a vampire, not the men they were. They could not help what they were. And if it was the last thing he did, Albus was going to prove to his sons that they were not just what the public saw them.

“Who did I attack?” Severus' voice was not as harsh as before.

“What is the last thing you remember?” Albus asked.

Severus, used to being asked questions instead of them answering his, sighed and looked at his dad.

“You ordered me to go check on Potter.”

“I don't think I ordered you. I simply asked for you to check on the child,” Albus said, defensively but with a bit of sarcasm. Severus' own response was his eyebrow quirking.

“So you were being forced against your will by the tyrant old coot,” Albus said with amusement. Severus rolled his eyes. “Did you make it to the house?”

Albus already knew the answers. He just wanted to know when was the exact moment the vampire took charge.

“Yes,” Severus nodded. “I made it to the house. I was able to get to the back and next to the shed.”

“And next?” Poppy asked.

Severus squeezed his eyes shut as his brow creased as he tried to remember what happened next. He remembered the headache. He remembered reaching for his potion, but because he was shaking so badly the phial slipped his fingers.

“Severus,” Albus called, bringing the Potions master out of his musing. “What's the last thing you remember?”

“Headache. Thirsty. So thirsty,” Severus said. His eyes started to glaze over. “Then sweetness. The smell was so delectable.”

“Severus,” Albus snapped and then ordered. “Occlude right now.”

Severus blinked a couple of times and looked at his mentor.

“Very good,” Albus praised. “Now, we are going to go to the Infirmary. You will help the child there.”

“I attacked a child,” Severus said, aghast. “I killed a child.”

“Harry's alive,” Poppy said.

“Potter,” Severus looked from Poppy to Albus, hoping that they were lying. “I ... attacked ... Potter.”

__________0000_________00000________00000________000

Remus sat on the bed next to Harry with his head in his hands. Thinking about what he saw worried him. Severus looked like a true monster. As much as Poppy berated him for saying that wasn't his brother, he wasn't. Severus may be a snarky git with a sharp tongue. But to openly attack a child, even if it was James' son... he wouldn't do that. Remus wanted to talk to his brother. He wanted to understand why he would put someone in danger like this. Forget that this is James' son, Lily's son. Severus took a big risk going onto that street and not taken care of himself.

Part of Remus wanted to ask him what was he thinking. The other part, the wolf in him, wanted to tear him limb from limb for hurting someone like this.

The sound of the door to the Infirmary opening brought Remus out of his musing. He looked up at the three people walking into the room. His eyes immediately landed on his brother and he could feel Moony coming out. Growling, Remus got up from the bed and headed for Severus.

Getting to Severus before Albus or Poppy could stop him, Remus gripped Severus' robes and shook him, violently.

“What were you thinking?” Remus growled.

TBC