Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9

Severus appeared at the gates to Hogwarts. He was still angry. The look of the cupboard was still in his mind. Never did he think that someone would be that cruel as to make a child stay in those conditions. In the beginning, he may have not cared for Potter’s attitude and blatant lack of respect for the rules, but he couldn’t in good conscious treat him the way his so-called relatives did.

Seconds later, another pop sounded, and Severus felt a hand on his shoulder. The grip of the hand let Severus know that his brother was also still angry.

“I’m going to take a walk,” Remus said, quietly.

___000___000___000

Severus walked into the castle and made his way to the Infirmary. When he walked in, he saw Harry was still asleep on one of the beds.

“He’s okay?” Severus asked.

“He’s fine,” Poppy said, walking up to Severus. “Take him. He’ll be happy your back.”

“Did he wake at any time?” Severus asked walking over to Harry.

“Didn’t stir once,” Poppy said, walking back into her office.

Severus sat on the edge of the bed and looked down at his fledgling. So much had happened to this child but now there’s this one more thing. Severus swore that Harry would never, ever need for anything. Whatever he needed; Severus would try his best to provide.

Severus leaned down, cradling his hand under Harry’s head and putting his hands under the child’s knees, he picked the child up. Harry instantly woke up, stirring, wanting to wrap his arms around his da’s neck. Harry wanted to feel his da’s heartbeat.

Once he was in that position he wanted, Harry snuggled into Severus and went back to sleep. Severus walked out of the Infirmary and went to his chambers. By the time they got to the entrance of his chambers, Harry started squirm in his da’s arms.

“Calm down, fledgling,” Severus soothe as he opened the portrait.

Harry’s arms stretched out behind Severus. His head nuzzling on the side of his da’s neck.

“I’m hungry,” Harry moaned, turning his head so he was laying on Severus’ shoulder.

“You are,” Severus said, sitting down on his arm chair, situating Harry so that he was sitting sideways on Severus’ lap. Severus wrapped his arms around Harry’s shoulders. “What do you want to eat?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. Whatever you have.”

“You want something light and have dinner with Uncle Remus and Grandpa Albus?” Severus asked, tilting his head so that he and Harry could look at each other.

“A snack will do,” Harry said. “I want to have dinner with everyone. It will be my first dinner with a real family.”

Severus kissed the top of Harry’s head. “That sounds wonderful.”

Severus lifted Harry off his lap and went to the fireplace and sent an order to the kitchen. Seconds later a small tray of tea and biscuits was sitting on the small table in front of the sofa. Harry sat on the sofa and started making his tea.

 “Where we going?” Harry asked, taking a bite of his biscuit.

“You’ll see when you finish,” Severus said, making himself a cup.

Harry stuffed the biscuit in his mouth.

“Where we’re going isn’t going away,” Severus chided softly. “Slow down. I don’t want you to choke.”

Harry looked up at Severus and gave him a sheepish smile but finished his snack.

“Finished?” Severus asked. Harry nodded. “Go get cleaned up. We’re leaving the castle.”

“Okay,” Harry said. He got up and looked around.

Severus looked at the child. He wanted to see if it would work. Harry looked around. He started walking around the chambers just wandering. He was looking at everything.

Harry started feeling upset. His da told him to get cleaned up and he didn’t want to be a burden and bug his da.

Severus purposely didn’t tell Harry where the bathroom was. He wanted to see if he could telepathically let Harry know where it was. He didn’t stop the child, nor did he rush him.

 Severus felt his fledgling’s feelings and didn’t like what Harry was feeling. Severus started sending a wave of calm to his fledgling, then he sent Harry the direction to the bathroom.

Harry felt a calm wash over him. Harry walked down the hall and went to the second door on the left. When he opened the door, he was in the bathroom. He walked in and closed the door.

Severus closed his eyes. When he opened them, he smirked. It worked. He could telepathically communicate with his fledgling. There was still more he would have to work on with Harry, but it was a great first try.

A few moments later, Harry walked back into the main room. The child looked confused. Severus saw Harry was in deep thought.

“You okay, Harry?” Severus asked.

Harry looked over at his da and smiled. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” Severus asked, standing up and walking over to the child.

Harry looked up at his da. They were going out and the excitement started to come back.

Severus stood up and walked over to Harry and put his hands on the child’s shoulders before he bounced his way up to the ceiling.

“Alright,” Severus said. “Let’s go find your Uncle Remus and see if he wants to go with us.” Turning Harry around by his shoulders and walking with him to the door.

“Where are we going?” Harry asked again.

“We’re going shopping,” Severus said, walking out of his chambers with Harry in tow.

____0000____0000____0000

Remus walked around the entire front of the castle. From the lake to the Forbidden Forest, and he still could not calm down Moony.

They got off too easy, Remus thought. There was so much more that should have happened to those vile creatures. They weren’t human. Far from it. No human in their right mind would torture and abuse a child, a sweet child, like Harry.

Remus was on his way back to the castle entrance, when he saw Severus and Harry. Harry saw Remus and took off in a run. When he got close enough, Remus went down on one knee and caught Harry, wrapping his arms around the small child.

Remus stood up with ease, as he walked over to Severus. This was what he needed. He needed to be with his cub. Feeling the joy roll off this child, made everything seem right.

“So how are you doing?” Remus asked Harry as he propped Harry and swung him until he was on Remus’ hip.

“Da said we’re going shopping,” Harry said. “You want to come too?”

“I wouldn’t miss it,” Remus said.

“Have you seen Albus?” Severus asked.

Remus shook his head. “I haven’t seen Albus since we left the Dursleys.”

Harry’s brow furrowed. “You went to see my relatives?”

“Yes,” Severus said, dryly. “We’ll talk about that later. Let’s go. We’re going to the Leaky Cauldron.”

Severus only said that so that Remus knew where they were apparating.

“Little cub,” Remus said to Harry. “I want you to hold on tight. The first time is always a little rough.”

Harry looked skeptical. “What are we doing?” Harry looked over at his da and saw him disappear. Harry’s eyes got big. In that second, fear and sorrow filled Harry’s heart.

Remus must have sensed it because he started rubbing Harry’s back and whispering soothing words to him.

“Don’t fret, little cub, we’ll see your da in a second.”

Right after he finished talking that he and Harry disappeared.

Harry wasn’t prepared for the sensation of apparating. He felt a little queasy. He didn’t realize he had his head buried in Remus’ neck until he heard his da tell him to raise his head.

Slowly Harry looked up and saw his da standing behind Remus. Before Harry could say anything, a small phial was pressed at Harry’s lips. The potion was sweet and easy to go down. The queasy feeling disappeared, and he felt like normal.

“Better?” Severus asked.

Harry nodded.

“Well, let’s go get you some clothing,” Remus said, walking to Diagon Alley.

___000___000___000___000

After getting Harry an entire wardrobe, his third-year books, and a few odds and ends for Hedwig, they headed back to the castle.

Harry was better prepared to handle the apparation, so he didn’t get as queasy. And this time, Severus was holding Harry. Once they were standing at the gates, Severus lowered Harry so he could walk. And the three of them headed towards the castle.

Severus had all their purchases sent directly to his chambers so they wouldn’t have to worry about carrying everything.

“Do you think the Headmaster is back?” Harry asked.

“We can check his chambers when we get inside,” Severus said.

___000___000___000___000

Albus decided to walk back to the castle, so that he could think about everything that happened. In the beginning, he was disappointed that Severus didn’t take proper care of himself, going out without taking his potion. Or waiting too long to take it; either way it was irresponsible. But after learning everything that Harry’s gone through while he lived on Privet Drive, Albus’ thinking changed to maybe this wasn’t such a bad think after all.

If Harry stayed in the vile house for the rest of his life, how would Harry turn out? Would he turn bitter like Severus used to be before he adopted the Potions Master? Would he go into himself and fear everyone around him, hoping that he wouldn’t contaminate the people he loved like Remus?

Albus thought he learned his lesson with Remus’ and Severus’ abusive homelife, but looking at Harry, maybe he didn’t. For the first two years of Harry’s presence within the castle, Albus assumed that Harry was healthy and happy. Every time he looked at the child, he seemed to be happy: smiling with his friends. Not to mention having to uncanny ability to get into mischief like his father, James. Maybe Albus wasn’t looking close enough.

An alarm brought Albus out of his musings, letting him know that people were heading to the entrance to his chambers. Usually when someone wanted entrance, he would hear the password as it was said to the statue that blocked the passage. But when it came to Severus and Remus and now Harry, they didn’t need the password to get in. They knew there was a spot on the back of the statue that they could touch, and the doorway would automatically open.

It was the latter that let Albus know that his boys were coming up. Seconds later, his door was opened with such exuberance that it almost hit the adjoining wall. Harry’s face lit up. He was grinning so big it looked like his cheeks would hurt for a long while.

The first thing Albus noticed was that Harry was wearing new clothes that fit him.

“Well,” Albus said. “I take it you went shopping.”

Harry bounded forward and landed on Albus, leaning against the man. He wrapped his arms around the Headmaster’s middle.

“Yeah,” Harry said, looking up at Albus. “I got to try on all these clothes. And we got everything for next year, so I don’t have to worry about it later.”

Albus pushed Harry to arm’s length and wrapped an arm around his shoulder as he escorted him towards the chair. The entire time Harry wasn’t discouraged that Albus stepped away from the embrace or that he was walking towards the chair. Harry kept talking about the outing.

“Harry,” Albus interrupted, trying not to laugh. “Breathe child. I fear you may collapse if you keep this going.”

Harry wasn’t deterred; he just laughed a little and fell against Albus, wrapping his arms around his neck.

When Albus looked up, he saw that Remus and Severus were sitting on the sofa. Severus shaking his head, and Remus softly chuckling.

“So,” Albus said, pushing Harry back to standing. “You had a good time?”

Harry nodded. It really was a great afternoon. He saw so much more in Diagon Alley than he did the past two years.

“Oh,” Harry said. His face becoming serious. “Can we have something to eat. I’m hungry.”

Remus laughed out loud.

“Of course,” Albus said. “I’ll call down to the kitchen and have them send some food up.”

“We can have it down in the dungeons,” Severus said, standing up. “Harry, we need to put your things up and fix up your room.” Severus held out his hand.

Harry nodded, and walked towards the door. “See you later,” Harry said. And the two walked out of Albus’ chambers.

___000___000___000

Dinner was finished. Remus, Albus and Severus were still sitting around the dinner table. Harry was curled up on Severus’ lap. His head laying on Severus’ shoulder.

Harry was so excited about having dinner with his da, Uncle Remus and Grandpa. Even though he’d eaten with them (well, not Remus) in the Great Hall during school, this was different. It was more intimate. Harry sat and ate, listening to his new family. When the dishes were taken away, the events of the day started to wear down on Harry. He started leaning against his da. While the wizards were talking, Severus reached down and picked Harry up. He laid his fledgling to his chest with his head tucked under his chin.

“Why don’t you put him down?” Remus said.

Severus looked down at Harry then his brother, shaking his head.

“So how it this school year going to go?” Severus asked Albus. “Now that I have my fledgling, he can’t be away from me long.”

“I was thinking about that,” Albus said. “He still needs to be among his friends. Continue building friendship with his house. He will have a bed here, but if he wants to stay with his friends, I think he should have that choice.”

“I wouldn’t deny him his friends,” Severus said. “But I will have to talk with Minerva. Though I don’t think that will be a fun conversation.”

“What about me?” Remus asked.

“You’ll be closer to the Gryffindors,” Albus said. “Your chambers will be on the same floor as Minerva’s.”

Remus nodded.

“I’ll have a supply of Wolfsbane ready for you,” Severus said. “The last thing we need is you making my mistake.”

“Harry’s not a mistake,” Remus said.

Severus tightened his hold on his fledgling. “No,” he said quietly. “I am happy that I have someone, yes. But he’s still cursed.”

“You’re not a curse, Severus,” Albus said.

“So you keep telling me,” Severus said. “I had you and Remus. But how will Harry’s friends take this?”

“It’ll be fine,” Remus said. “Let’s just take this one day at a time.” Remus stood up, stretching his arms over his head. “It’s been a long day. I want to go to bed.”

“Until we get your things here,” Albus said. “You’ll stay up in your old room in my chambers.” Albus stood as well. “Good night, Severus.”

Albus walked to the door. Remus walked over to his brother, caressed Harry’s hair and then put his hand on Severus’ shoulder giving it a mild squeeze.

Once Severus was alone, he looked down at the top of Harry’s head. “What have I cursed you with, fledgling? I’m so sorry.”

___000___000___000

Remus and Albus walked into Albus’ chambers.

“If you’ll excuse me, dad, I’m going to bed,” Remus said. “After a day like this, I need some sleep. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, son,” Albus said.

Albus watched Remus go to one of the bedrooms and close the door. Albus was tired as well, but he had too much on his mind to sleep. He sat at his desk and laid his head on the backrest. Albus tried to calm his mind. He wasn’t the drinking type and even though it sounded like a good idea, he didn’t want to start now.

The fireplace roared. Albus turned to see who was coming in.

“Sorry for the lateness, Albus, but it was the only time I could come back.”

Albus smiled at his guest, standing up to greet his visitor.

“Minerva, you know my fireplace is open for you anytime,” Albus said, walking over to her and kissed her cheek. “So, how was your trip?”

“Later,” Minerva said. “There was so much drama. I am happy to be back. So, what has been going on here while I was gone?”

“More drama,” Albus said.

TBC