Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Curse

Severus reluctantly leaned back against the headboard, his arms folded and his injured leg propped up as he watched Poppy and Dumbledore tend to Harry from the next bed over. He would have preferred to be assisting Poppy in the care of his son, but Severus was temporarily incapacitated at the moment.

Poppy had handed Severus an Anti-Cruciatus potion to quell his uncontrollable trembling, and told him to stay put on the bed so as not to injure his leg further. Even threatened to use a Full Body-Bind on him if he attempted to stand. For a minute, Severus was very tempted to see if she would hold true on that threat, but ultimately decided against it.

Now was not the time. They needed to focus on Harry.

The boy appeared deathly pale resting in the hospital bed, his skin nearly matching the white sheets beneath him. The red lightning shaped scar stood out starkly on his forehead, and Severus had to suppress a shudder, recalling all that Harry had endured today at the hands of the Dark Lord. His son had braved through the torture with a fortitude that Severus wasn't aware the boy possessed. Harry also had an exceptionally high pain tolerance, though now that Severus thought about it, he suspected those damn Muggles had some contribution to that as well.

But all this wouldn't have happened if the boy hadn't decided to come recklessly charging in, attempting to rescue him. Then again, Severus should not be surprised, he should have expected it really. Over the last few years, Harry had taken every opportunity to rush head long into dangerous situations, seemingly with no concern whatsoever over his own safety. That was something Severus would need to address with the boy as he definitely would not tolerate such foolhardy behavior, especially where his son's safety was concerned.

A short gasp from Poppy drew Severus' attention then, and he leaned forward to see what was happening.

Harry had been turned over onto his stomach, his back now exposed. Remnants of the Dark Lord's whipping curse was littered over his skin, slashes of red lining up and down the boy's back. Severus winced at the sight, instantly reminded of a couple days ago when he had discovered the boy's back in a similar state. At least there wasn't any additional bruising on Harry's body this time, but considering these wounds were caused by magic, they would take longer to completely heal.

Poppy flicked her wand in a circular motion, and a moment later, several jars of salves and potion vials came soaring from her office.

After Harry's back had been completely coated with the salves and any other physical injures were resolved, Poppy shifted her attention back to Severus and began healing his broken leg. He watched, waiting a bit impatiently, itching to get out of this bed.

"You should really get some rest, Severus," Poppy said as she finished mending his leg. "Harry is fine now."

Before Severus could reply, however, his attention was caught by a soft whimper.

Severus turned his head towards Harry, and saw him weakly thrashing around on the bed, in the beginnings of what appeared to be another nightmare. Ignoring Poppy's protests, Severus stood on his newly healed leg and swiftly made his way over to his son's bedside.

"Harry," Severus called, gently grasping the boy's shoulders and giving a small shake. "Wake up. It's just a nightmare..."

"No, please... don't go..." Harry mumbled, sweat forming on his brow, not at all responding to Severus' attempts at waking him.

"Harry—"

"No, Mum!" Harry struggled harder, his agitation increasing. "He's going to kill you!"

Severus froze, his breath catching in his throat.

Did Harry somehow— No, he couldn't have...

The boy had only been about a year old at the time, how could he possibly remember...

"No... take me instead... please..." Harry continued muttering, his face scrunched up, tears escaping from the corner of his closed eyes.

Snapping out of his turbulent thoughts, Severus renewed his efforts, the need to wake his son increasing by the second. For a fleeting moment, a feeling of utter panic crashed over him, nearly overwhelming him before he roughly swept it aside.

"Harry!" Severus called again, but his attempts were futile.

He wasn't bloody waking. Why won't he wake?

Several thoughts dashed through Severus' mind, as he tried to make sense of this...

Then he remembered.

"That spell..." Severus murmured, the memory of Harry being struck with one of the Dark Lord's spells suddenly flashing through his mind. He glanced sharply at Dumbledore and Poppy, who were both watching Harry with the same amount of worry that Severus inwardly felt. "What was that spell?"

Poppy waved her wand over Harry again, and shook her head. "The diagnostic spells aren't detecting it."

Severus turned to Dumbledore, half expecting the headmaster to already have knowledge of the spell and its counter curse. "It was something in Latin. The Dark Lord had muttered it under his breath, right before he Disapparated," he said.

"It must be a rather complicated spell if Poppy's charms cannot detect it," said Dumbledore, stroking his beard thoughtfully, concern in his blue eyes as he gazed down at Harry. "I will need to see the memory of Voldemort casting it, Severus."

Then, without warning, a loud chilling cry came from Harry.

Severus started a little, and looked on in horror as his son's scar seemed to have burst open, blood beginning to seep from the wound. The redness around the scar made it appear as if it had just been freshly marked on his forehead.

What is happening?

All Severus could do was watch on as Poppy fretfully began cleaning the blood from Harry's forehead and tending to the wound. He hated not knowing what to do, and just being this helpless.

Finally, after a few moments, it was over.

Harry seemed to have settled down for now, still mumbling, but too quiet to make out what he was saying.

"Severus, accompany me to my office. I wish to see that memory." Dumbledore then turned to Poppy, and said, "May we use your Floo, Poppy?" After receiving a quick nod, Dumbledore started heading towards Poppy's office. "And keep an eye on Harry. If this happens again, please inform us," he said over his shoulder.

"Of course, Headmaster."

Severus hesitated for a split second, giving one last look at Harry before following Dumbledore out. He didn't want to leave his son's bedside, but he knew that giving Dumbledore the memory would be a crucial first step in figuring out the Dark Lord's curse.

When they arrived through the green flames into the Headmaster's office, Dumbledore immediately went to a cabinet beside the door and brought out the Pensieve, settling it on top of his desk. Severus raised his wand to his temple and focused on the needed memory, bringing it to the forefront of his mind. As soon as the silvery strand left the tip of Severus' wand and dropped into the basin, Dumbledore went in, followed closely by Severus.

Just as he landed, Severus heard the Dark Lord saying, "Tell me Severus, have you developed feelings for the boy?"

Dumbledore turned to gaze intently at memory Severus on the ground, waiting to hear Severus' response to that question, but it would never come as the sounds of Apparition sounded in the distance and memory Dumbledore could be seen striding towards them. This time, Severus paid close attention to the Dark Lord as he aimed his wand, but as the spell left his former master's lipless mouth, the Latin was lost to him as Severus once again, watched the curse hurtle towards Harry, striking him in the chest. It was a sight Severus hoped to never witness again.

The memory ended there, and they were suddenly back in Dumbledore's office.

"Did you hear the incantation?" Severus asked, staring at Dumbledore, noticing the contemplative look on the headmaster's face.

Dumbledore frowned, giving a slight shake of his head, and said, "It's a spell I'm not familiar with."

"Any ideas as to what it could be, then?"

"I have my guesses, but I will need to look into it further to be certain."

With a sweep of his wand, Dumbledore summoned several books from his many shelves to soar over to his desk, where they stacked themselves into a neat pile. Then Dumbledore took a seat, pulled the topmost one closer to him, and began flipping through the pages until he seemed to have come across the page he was searching for. Severus stood beside him, tilting his head to read the text.

But the Floo flared to life then, and his attention was drawn to Poppy's head in the fireplace.

"Come quickly, it's happening again," Poppy said urgently before she disappeared from the flames.

Severus didn't hesitate; he strode over, took a pinch of Floo powdered, and stepped into the fire.

When Severus arrived, he was met with a familiar scene. Harry appeared to be in the throes of another nightmare like before at Prince Manor, limbs wildly thrashing about as if was trying to fend off an invisible attacker.

"I've charmed the bed to prevent Harry from falling," Poppy told him, appearing visibly distraught. "I tried waking him, but like before, he can't wake."

Severus swept over to Harry's bedside, and attempted to grab the boy's shoulders to give a little shake, but immediately pulled back when Harry violently recoiled from his touch. "Harry!" Severus shouted, hoping that his son could hear him through whatever nightmare he was now facing.

"I'm s-sorry, Un-uncle Vernon..." Harry mumbled, tossing his head from side to side.

Severus stiffened, feeling an unmistakeable rage ignite within him upon hearing that despicable Muggle's name.

"Perform Legilimency on him, Severus." Dumbledore voiced from beside him, nearly startling Severus with his sudden appearance. "See what is happening inside his head."

"Why?" Severus questioned, not taking his eyes off his son.

"I suspect that these are not nightmares," said Dumbledore.

Severus simply stared at him for a moment, before he nodded, and cupped both hands on either side of Harry's head to hold him still. It was rather difficult with the boy's limbs flailing all over the place, fighting against Severus' hold.

"Shall I restrain him?" Poppy asked, and after receiving a slight nod from Severus, she flicked her wand, conjuring ribbons that wrapped around Harry's wrists and secured his arms to the bed.

Severus rested his fingers on his son's temples, his thumb gently prying Harry's unseeing eyes open. Then he looked deeply into those green eyes and whispered, "Legilimens."

The next thing Severus knew, he found himself in the kitchen of what appeared to be a Muggle home. He glanced around, and spotted the thin, bony form of Petunia sitting at the table with a rather plump child next to her. The boy was wailing his head off, and Severus briefly wondered what the obese child was sniveling about as he watched Petunia pat him on the back, attempting to calm him with promises of more sweets and treats.

Then, in a corner of the kitchen, Severus noticed a large, overweight man who seemed to be glaring down at something on the floor. That had to be Dursley, Harry's Uncle Vernon, Severus thought with a scowl as he moved closer. There, curled up at Dursley's feet, was a small bespectacled boy who appeared to be no older than four or five years old. Severus watched as Harry attempted to press himself into the corner, his small figure noticeably trembling as he tried to get as far away from Dursley as he could.

But then, Dursley grabbed Harry by the front of his overlarge shirt, roughly yanking the boy to his feet, and shouted, "Nothing but a worthless freak! Can't even cook breakfast without burning it!"

Behind Severus, the large child at the table with Petunia wailed even louder, and Dursley pointed towards him.

"Now you've made Dudley upset because he doesn't have his breakfast!"

"I-I'm s-sorry, Un-uncle Vernon!" Harry stammered, tears welling up in his eyes as he struggled against the tight grip. "I-I didn't mean to!"

"This should teach you a well deserved lesson," Dursley said, and dragged Harry over to the stove, where the remnants of the burnt breakfast still laid scattered on the floor.

Then, to Severus' horror, Dursley grasped Harry's wrists and forced the boy's small hands against the hot stove top.

The screams that followed were unbearable.

Momentarily forgetting himself, Severus attempted to shove Dursley away from his son, a multitude of Dark curses coming to mind, before Severus realized that he couldn't, his hand meeting nothing but empty air. Severus clenched his hands into fists, dropping them down uselessly to his sides as he watched on, unable to do a damn thing about it. The heart-wrenching screams continued on for what seemed like an eternity, and Severus had to remind himself it was just a nightmare...

Didn't Dumbledore say he suspected this wasn't a nightmare?

Severus looked around again; the scene did seem too clear to be one, all the details too sharp... A memory, then?

Does the curse force Harry to relive his worse memories?

"Vernon!" Petunia hissed over the screams, her eyes coldly taking in the scene. "The boy's getting too loud, I don't want the neighbors to hear!"

Severus glared at her, nearly unable to believe how callous Petunia had become. How could she just sit there and allow this to happen to her own nephew?

Finally, Dursley released his hold on Harry, but only to backhand the boy across the face, sending him to the ground, the shock momentarily quieting Harry.

"Stop your sniveling, boy!"

Harry shakily straightened his glasses and looked up at him with wide, tear-filled green eyes, as he bit down on his lip in an attempt to quiet his sobbing. Severus' heart clenched uncomfortably in his chest as he watched his son stare down at his hands, which were red and swollen with painful looking blisters, and struggled to keep quiet as tears rolled down his pale face.

Oh, how Severus wished to gather his son into his arms and curse that sodding Muggle into oblivion...

The time will come for that, Severus told himself, he would make sure of it, and there would be nothing left once Severus was finished with him.

It was one thing to hear about what happened in this house, but it was another thing entirely to actually witness it himself.

What sort of twisted person would punish a young child this severely for something so trivial as burning breakfast? Even Severus' abusive father hadn't been this cruel, sure he had been drunk and violent at times, but his father never went this far, not even close. Severus had been lucky to have had his mother to go to when dealing with his drunken father, but here, it seemed that Harry had no one to turn to.

This little boy had no one that cared to help him.

His son had to grow up like this.

If only I had known sooner...

Having seen more than enough, Severus withdrew from Harry's mind.

With a jolt, Severus stumbled backwards as he drew back, nearly falling over if Dumbledore hadn't steadied him with a hand on his elbow. It took a few seconds for him to fully reorient himself.

"It's a memory," Severus said softly, closing his eyes for a moment as he attempted to organize the torrent of emotions swirling inside him.

His thoughts went back to earlier.

If the spell brings about Harry's worst memories, then that must mean what happened earlier with his scar, was the night—

He's going to kill you!

Severus shook his head, shoving those crippling emotions behind his shields.

"What did you see, Severus?" Dumbledore asked as Severus opened his eyes to look at him.

Before Severus could respond, Poppy cut in, and said, "You wouldn't happen to know why these serious burns suddenly appeared on Harry's hands, would you?"

Alarmed, Severus banished the restraints and gently took Harry's hands into his own, examining them. These were the exact same burns that he'd just seen on his son's hands, and there were also bruises on Harry's wrists, no doubt from Dursley's rough grip.

The memories are affecting him in the present as well...

"It was a memory of that abominable Muggle burning Harry's hands on the stove top as punishment for burning breakfast," said Severus, not bothering to hide his anger. "I believe this curse forces Harry to relive his worst memories, and any injuries sustained in his past also affects him now in the present."

Poppy clasped her hand to her mouth for a moment, appearing horrified. "So then the first memory must have been the night he received his scar...?"

Dumbledore nodded grimly, and said, "Yes, it appears to be a memory curse, however, I have never come across one where the memories could also physically affect the victim in the present."

Neither had Severus, but he wouldn't put it past the Dark Lord to have created such a curse. He knew how much the Dark Lord enjoyed using curses designed to physically and mentally torture his victims.

"Oh, what are we to do, Albus?" Poppy asked as she summoned some burn salve and began applying it onto Harry's hands. "It's only going to get worse from here, knowing those Muggles."

Severus silently agreed, remembering the injuries that he had discovered on Harry a few days ago back at Prince Manor, and there must be many more incidents in Harry's childhood that Severus wasn't aware of yet.

"The most we could do at this point is to keep healing his injuries as they appear until we have a counter curse," Dumbledore said, gazing sadly down at Harry. Then he turned and strode back towards Poppy's office. "I will be in my office perusing my collection of ancient spell books."

Severus made to follow him. "I will help you," he said.

Dumbledore paused, halting Severus with a hand. "Not to worry, Severus, I will look for the counter curse," he said. "You should go home and rest. It has been a trying day for you."

Severus was about to argue that he was fine, more than capable to help with the counter curse, but then he realized he was still in his ruined and blood stained robes. And now that Severus thought about it, he should probably return to Prince Manor to freshen up, and also check up on Kieran and Clarice while he was at it. Then he would immediately return to Hogwarts afterwards.

"Fine," Severus conceded, "but I will be back shortly."

Dumbledore peered at him over his half moon spectacles, giving him a small smile, but didn't say anything more before he nodded and headed back to his office.

"I agree with Albus. You should really rest, Severus," Poppy said, as she finished tending to Harry's wrists. "I will alert you if anything happens to Harry."

Severus gave a stiff nod and lightly brushed a stray strand of hair away from Harry's forehead. At least his son appeared to be sleeping peacefully for now.

After giving one last look at Harry, Severus made his way to the Floo.

When he stepped foot out of the fire at Prince Manor, he was met with Kieran and Clarice, who appeared to have been waiting for him in his study.

"Where have you been, Severus?" Clarice demanded, giving him a once over. "You look awful."

Kieran had come to stand next to his mother, taking in Severus' appearance with wide eyes. "What happened to you, Dad?" he asked, worry evident in his voice.

Severus gave a long sigh; he really wasn't in the mood to deal with this right now.

"I will explain later, after I have freshened up and changed out of these robes," he said curtly, and swept past them.

After taking a much needed shower to strip the layer of grime and sweat from his person, Severus dressed in his usual black robes. His exhaustion from the long day was beginning to settle in, but he shoved it aside. He wouldn't rest until they had found a counter curse for Harry, and only once Severus knew for certain that his son was no longer suffering from his memories.

On his way back to his study, Severus passed by Kieran's room and decided to quickly check in on the boy. The door was cracked open a few inches and from what Severus could see, Kieran was lying on his stomach on the bed, facing away from the door.

Severus knocked on the door twice, then entered the room.

"Dad," Kieran said, sounding relieved when he saw Severus. He hastily stood and came to stand in front of him. Severus took the time to look Kieran over.

The boy appeared to be fine.

"Are you all right?" Severus asked.

Kieran nodded. "Yeah, thankfully Mum and I made it out of there really quickly," he said, and Severus noted a slight shakiness in his voice.

"I am glad you escaped unharmed."

"Are you okay, Dad?" Kieran asked as his dark eyes sweeping over Severus. "You got hurt, didn't you?"

"I'm fine now, you don't have to worry," Severus said smoothly, hoping he sounded reassuring.

Kieran frowned, looking unconvinced. "You weren't fine! You came back with blood on your robes!"

"Yes well, Madam Pomfrey already healed me, there is no need to worry further," Severus said, leaning against Kieran's desk.

Kieran stared at him for a moment, his dark eyes a bit brighter than usual, before he sighed, looking away.

"Did you find Potter?" he asked, fidgeting with one of his dragon figurines on his desk. "'Cause didn't come back with you."

"He is in the hospital wing at the moment," Severus said. "I need to get back there soon."

"But you just got back home!" Kieran said indignantly, staring up at him.

"I will be back as soon as I can," Severus told him.

Kieran went silent for a few moments. Severus studied him, noting that there seemed to something bothering the boy, and he waited, hoping that Kieran would simply come out and say what was on his mind. Thankfully, he didn't have wait too long.

"I thought that you weren't going to spy anymore," Kieran said softly after a while. "I thought you weren't going to be a part of the war anymore..."

Severus should have expected this, remembering how it was a problem they had to work around when Severus had found out about Kieran and before the boy came to live with him. He hadn't thought much of it since, considering his cover had been compromised and his spying days were a thing of the past just a few days in to Kieran staying with him.

"My Death Eater days may be over, however, that does not mean that I am not still a part of this war," Severus said.

"But why Dad? It's so dangerous!" Kieran's voice grew louder, becoming a bit hysterical, his obsidian eyes that he had inherited from Severus were glistening. "You- you could have been killed today!"

Unsettled by Kieran's outburst, Severus put a hand on his son's shoulder. "Calm down, Kieran."

Then, unexpectedly, Kieran flung himself forwards and wrapped his arms around Severus, the boy's head coming to rest against his sternum. Taken completely by surprise, Severus froze, not quite knowing what to do. He was a bit shocked to see this display from Kieran, having never seen this side of the boy before.

"I don't want to lose you too, Dad," Kieran muttered against Severus' chest. "I just found you not too long ago."

Severus frowned, settling for awkwardly patting his son's back. "You won't lose me, Kieran," he said softly.

"You were taking a long time to get back... and I just thought..." Kieran trailed off, burying his face in Severus' robes.

Severus thought he heard a small sniffle, and his heart twinged at that. Perhaps this incident in Diagon Alley had affected Kieran more than he thought. Severus swallowed, then slowly wrapped his arms around Kieran and light cupped the boy's head, not really knowing what to say. He'd never been a person that was proficient at providing words of comfort.

"You were hurt looking for Potter today," Kieran muttered bitterly, still clinging onto him.

Now this was something that they still needed to discuss. He couldn't let this hatred Kieran has for Harry go on any longer. Kieran needed to understand that Harry was also Severus' son, whether he liked it or not.

Severus drew Kieran back, but kept both hands on the boy's shoulders.

"It was not his fault," Severus said in a firm tone, looking Kieran directly in the eyes. "You are going to have to accept the fact that Harry is also my son just as much as you are."

Kieran looked away, and muttered under his breath, "Not bloody likely."

It was said almost too quietly to hear, but Severus still heard it.

"Unless you wish to scrub more cauldrons tomorrow, I suggest you refrain from using that kind of language," Severus warned, aiming a glare that wasn't nearly as potent as usual at the boy.

Kieran sighed, before nodding his head, appearing too tired to argue this time.

Severus glanced at the clock and realized it was getting late.

"You should get some rest, it has been a long day."

Kieran didn't protest as Severus steered him towards his bed, and watched as his son settled in. Just as Severus was turning to leave, Kieran weakly grabbed onto his arm and asked in a soft, tired voice, "Can you stay a bit longer, Dad? Please?"

Severus gave an inward sigh, but after seeing how affected Kieran was from the day's events, he decided to give in to his son's request.

"Very well. Go to sleep, Kieran," Severus said softly as he drew the sheets up to Kieran's chin, then took a seat on the edge of the boy's bed.

After several moments, and once he was sure that Kieran was fast asleep, Severus headed back to his study, fully intent on heading back to Hogwarts to check on Harry and to help Dumbledore with the counter curse.

When Severus reached his study, he was a bit surprised to see that Clarice was still there, now gazing out the window.

Severus cleared his throat to make his presence known, then said, "You should get some rest, Clarice."

Clarice whirled around, her arms folded against her chest.

"I can't without speaking with you first," she replied, her eyes locking onto his. "I was worried, Severus. You had taken a long time to return." She moved closer, resting a hand on his arm. "Are you sure you're all right?"

"Yes," Severus said simply, and feeling slightly uncomfortable with the closeness, he stepped away just out of her reach.

Clarice searched his features for a moment, then sighed, running a hand over her forehead. "I had to give Kieran a Calming Draught. You should have seen the state he was in when we returned."

Severus nodded, and said, "I am aware. He is in bed now."

Clarice shook her head, leaning a hip against Severus' desk.

"This war is too dangerous, Severus. I don't want Kieran to be involved," she said, a sharp glint in her eyes. "My first priority is his safety and your's should be too."

"It is," Severus agreed evenly. "Harry's as well."

Clarice's blue eyes flashed.

"Since when did you start caring so much for the boy?" she demanded, folding her arms over her chest. "If I recall correctly, you were opposed to him coming to stay with you. What changed?"

"That boy, is my son!" Severus snarled. "Just as much as Kieran is."

"Do you realize how much danger he puts everyone in? We can't even go to Diagon Alley without almost being killed!" Clarice exclaimed, gesturing wildly around as if trying to get Severus to see the obvious. "It's astounding how everyone is fawning over him, with all the trouble he causes!"

"None of that is Harry's fault!" Severus snapped. "He cannot help it if a dark wizard is constantly targeting him!"

"We could have died today, Severus! All because of that boy!"

"It is not. Harry's. Fault," Severus said slowly, enunciating each word.

Clarice looked as if she wanted to continue her tirade, but stopped herself, pursing her lips and turning away from him. There was a moment of tense silence before she spoke again, softly this time.

"Kieran deserves to have a father in his life. He has been without a father for too long."

Severus frowned, crossing his arms. "And Harry does not?"

To be honest, Harry deserved more than Severus could provide him. Kieran's childhood had certainly more pleasant than Harry's, having a loving mother which was more than Harry what had growing up. Kieran also didn't have to deal with an evil dark wizard constantly hunting him down, having to be held as the savior of the wizarding world, and living with relatives that despised his existence. Everything that Kieran wanted was provided by his mother, and the only thing Severus thought had been missing from Kieran's life was a father figure, but he had that now as well.

Clarice didn't seem to have heard him at all, appearing to be lost in her own thoughts. Her previous anger seemed to have dissipated somewhat as she sighed and took a seat on the settee. She tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear, and said softly, "We could have lost you today. I don't want Kieran to ever have to go through something like that again, especially after—"

She abruptly cut herself off and shook her head.

Severus narrowed his eyes at her, wondering what she was about to say, but didn't have time to question it as the Floo suddenly flared to life.

"Severus, it's getting worse," Poppy said quickly, her voice urgent. "I need your help this time."

Severus swept over to the fireplace and grabbed a pinch of Floo powder.

"Out of the way, Poppy," he said, with a wave of his hand. "I'm coming through."

Severus only waited a few seconds before he stepped into the fire, not looking back when he heard Clarice calling his name as he disappeared into the green flames.