Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 10: Bat the cat

“Thara! Bring a calming draught.” Harry told the house elf, and in less than half a minute the elf was back with the requested potion and gave it to Severus.

“I’m not going to hate you again when you’re recovered.” Severus didn’t seem convinced. “If I was going to do that, do you think I would have told Ron and Hermione about you? I care for you, that’s not going to change because you aren’t injured anymore, I promise. And also, you are the first adult in a lot of time that cares for me. Why would I want to hate you?” Harry said.

“Poppy cares about you, Minerva too. And Albus.” Severus said, more relaxed.

“It’s not the same. They also care about you, don’t they?” Harry told him.

“It’s not the same.” Severus said.

“I know, so you understand my point?” Harry asked.

“Yes.” The professor said but still not very convinced.

“What would convince you that I’m not going to hate you or to stop caring?” The young wizard asked.

“I don’t know. I don’t even know why are you still here.” Severus said ashamed.

“Fine, let’s say that I leave something here before going to the tower. Something that every time I want to have it I’ll have to come here. Then you’ll be sure that I’ll come again.” Harry said.

“I don’t want you to think that I don’t trust you. I really do, you don’t have to leave anything. It’s not you who I don’t trust.” The professor said flushing.

“I know. I’ll leave the photo album in the other room. Hagrid gave it to me, I usually have it under my pillow. I will come every time I want to see it, ok? And now, let’s eat dinner. What do you want?” Harry said smiling.

“I’m not hungry.” Snape said.

“You have to eat something. Maybe some soup?” The young wizard said.

“I’m tired, can’t I just sleep?” Severus asked.

“If you want Poppy to take you to the hospital wing because she thinks that you’re not ok…” Harry said and Severus stiffed.

“Fine, some soup then.” Severus answered.

Severus was falling asleep before finishing the soup, and finally Harry took the mug of soup from his hands and helped him to get inside the covers, and he gave him the fever reducing potion. Poppy came to check on him, and after being assured by Harry that Severus was fine she went to the infirmary to take care of two younger wizards who had injured each other in a duel.

The night was very peaceful. Severus’ fever had already broken, and he slept without nightmares. He woke up early in the morning, and he went to take a shower while Harry was asleep. Nobody had told him that he couldn’t take a shower, but he should do it before Harry was awake. (Nobody had told him that he could take a shower neither, and he was confined to bed until Poppy said he could get up.)

He realised that, like Harry had said, his leg was much better. Poppy will release him with no doubt. At least he could start his classes on time. He was going to take a quick shower; he didn’t want to risk the boy getting mad if he knew that he had taking a shower. But the warm water was very relaxing, and it was relieving his sore muscles.

Harry woke up when he heard the water. He supposed that if Severus had slept all the night without nightmares, he would be feeling much better, so it was ok that he was taking a shower. He went to the kitchen and he realised that Dobby had filled the cabinets and the fridge with food. He decided to make the pancakes he had cooked the day before, knowing that Severus liked them.

Severus entered the bedroom expecting to see Harry still sleeping and he froze when he saw the empty bed. Harry entered the room with the breakfast in that moment.

“Morning Sev.” Harry said.

“Good morning.” Severus answered.

“I’ve prepared the breakfast while you were taking a shower.” Harry said, and he saw Severus petrified.

“What happens?” The young wizard asked.

“Poppy said I could get up if I didn’t have fever during the night.” Severus said.

“Yes, I know, and?” Harry answered frowning.

“I didn’t have fever.” Severus said.

“I’m aware of that, I took your temperature three times and you were fine.” Harry said confused.

“No one said I couldn’t take a shower!” Severus said.

“I know. That’s why you were in the shower.” Harry said. “And all this is about…?” He asked.

“You can’t be mad.” Severus said.

“And what makes you think that I’m mad? The pancakes?” Harry asked laughing.

“Wait, you aren’t mad?” Severus asked.

“Sev, I’ve prepared the pancakes that you like for breakfast knowing that you were taking a shower. Do you think I would have done that if I were mad?” Harry said smiling. “Now come to eat, Poppy will be here soon.”

“Why on the bed?” He asked.

“If Poppy comes and sees you in bed she will release you. It’s easier to get released if she’s happy. And she’ll happy if she thinks that you are still in bed rest.” Harry said.

“That’s very Slytherin. You’ve been too much times in the infirmary.” Severus said sitting in bed. “Since when can you cook?”

“I started cooking when I was 5 years old.” Harry said and Severus choked with the food. “Only easy things. I learned most of the dishes when I was 7.”

“So you had to cook in your relatives’ house.” Severus said.

“Yes. But I didn’t mind. I could steal some food after cooking.” Harry said.

Severus was speechless. He shouldn’t have asked Harry about this. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, it’s not your fault.” Harry said.

“I should have realised.” Severus said.

“No one realised, and I didn’t tell anyone. Really, it’s not your fault. We’ve already talked about this.” Harry said truthfully.

“Fine… So, when are you going to Gryffindor tower?” Severus asked changing the topic.

“I suppose I’ll go this afternoon if everything is fine.” Harry answered.

“And what will you do? I hope you’re not thinking of doing something dangerous.” Severus said.

“You know trouble finds me, it’s not entirely my fault. I want to visit Hagrid if that’s ok with Ron and Mione. Do you think it’s something dangerous?”

“You never know what that man will have in his house. Just be careful, and don’t go alone.”

“Yes dad” Harry said laughing and Severus froze. Why did it feel so good listening the boy calling him ‘dad’? “And what will you do Severus?”

“I’ll finish my lessons’ plans; I will brew some potions and I’ll enjoy of my last free night until Christmas.” He said.


That morning Poppy told them that Severus was fine and he told Harry he was free to go with his friends. Severus helped Harry to pack his things, except the photo album, which was left under the pillow of Harry’s bed, that now was in the other room. After a brief hug, Harry went to Gryffindor tower.

Severus went to his private lab, but after a while he decided to go to the living room to read something because he couldn’t concentrate and the potions he was brewing were rubbish. He couldn’t stop thinking about Harry. When would he see Harry again? Was Harry safe in that moment? What if Hagrid had another of his pets like Fluffy, or that dragon or the acromantula…? Then he had an idea. He would follow Harry in his cat form.

He left his quarters and headed to Hagrid’s hut. The Golden Trio were already there with Hagrid, sitting outside.

“Hey, look at that cat!” Ron said. The other three turned around and when Harry saw him he brought his hands to his face. It couldn’t be Severus, what if Fang hurt him?

“Aww, it’s beautiful. Maybe he’s lost.” Hermione said and she tried to touch the cat, who growled and ran towards Harry. Everybody was looking at him now.

“Do you know him?” Hermione asked frowning at Harry, who was picking up the cat.

“Err, well, McGonagall found him earlier this summer. When I came here some days ago I met him. He’s not very friendly, so don’t try to touch him.” Harry said, hoping no one would found it was a lie. Severus purred while Harry scratched behind the ear.

“Ohh, and what his name?” Hermione asked while Hagrid was saying that he didn’t know that Minerva had a new cat.

“Bat.” Harry said the first name that came up in his mind. “You know, because he’s black and he also loves being awake at night.” And giving detention to people, he added in his mind. Severus looked at him curiously.

“What’s he doing here?” Ron asked.

“I don’t know, but it wasn’t a good idea since there is a dog inside that house and he had had an incident with one dog when he was found.” Harry said glaring at the cat, who froze, realising that he hadn’t thought about it.

“Well, we must return to the common room. Take the cat with you and return it to professor McGonagall, she might be worried about him.” Hermione said.

They said goodbye to Hagrid and headed to Gryffindor tower. They were near the Great Hall when they saw Minerva.

“Good afternoon Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, Ms. Granger. What are you doing?” Minerva greeted them and then she realised about the cat, but before she could say something Harry talked.

“Hi professor. We went to visit Hagrid, and we saw Bat.” Harry said looking at the cat. “We brought it back to the castle, since we thought you would be looking for him. Maybe you could tell him not to go again there, Hagrid has a dog you know. It’s better to be careful.”

Minerva thankfully understood Harry and he took the cat from his arms.

“I will make sure he doesn’t go there again, thank you Mr. Potter.” Minerva said, and the three friends made their way to Gryffindor tower, while Minerva headed to her quarters to have a talk with Severus.