Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for your reviews :)
Chapter 6: Dark Mark

The two wizards were in the same position when Poppy arrived to the infirmary. They were sleeping peacefully and the medi-witch decided to let them sleep and she went to her office. She worked in her paperwork until she saw that Severus was awake.

“Hello young man, how are you feeling today?” Poppy said smiling and running a scan with her wand.

"I'm fine Poppy, much better. Don't wake Harry up please, he needs to sleep." Severus answered.

Poppy smiled, he had never seen Severus caring for anyone, except for Lily of course.

"I won't wake him up if you tell me how was your night. But you must tell me everything." Poppy said seriously. She wouldn't wake Harry even if Severus didn't agree, she could wait until the young wizard was awake. She only wanted to see Severus reaction.

"Fine, you blasted woman!" Severus snapped grumpily glaring at her. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything Severus, every single thing that happened since I left at 9pm."

"Good. But if I find you've told somebody I'll kill you. Not that they'll believe you anyway.” Severus said. He wouldn’t tell her everything, but he would tell her some things that he didn’t want other people to know. Poppy smiled and nodded. “When you left Harry asked me if I wanted to eat something, but I was sore and dizzy, so I told him I didn't. He told me that it was better if I tried to sleep before the pain was worse and the fever higher. I slept until I woke due to a nightmare." Severus related, lowering his voice at the end of the sentence.

"What did he do when you woke up?" Poppy asked curious.

"He comforted me." Snape said flushing.

“You know you can tell me Severus, my mouth is sealed.” Poppy said.

"He was very nice Poppy, he hugged me and he lay with me. He even said he forgave me when I apologized. And then he stayed talking with me and putting cold flannels in my forehead. What if he starts hating me again? Maybe he’s only doing this because I’m injured and he’s a good boy. I don't know what I will do now without him." Severus said in a low voice, pressing Harry closer against him.

"You won't need to know it, he'll stay being a part of your life." Poppy answered calmed. She knew she was the only one who knew Severus feelings. Severus trusted her because of the many times she had healed him. She knew Severus was a good man.

"I hope you're right Poppy." Severus said in a sad voice.

"I am. When did you two fall asleep then?" Poppy asked.

"When the eight hours finished he made me have some hot chocolate with biscuits and he gave me a pain reliever. I fell asleep a few moments later. I'm not sure when he did, though. I only know that he hasn't have enough sleep in the last three days. And I think it wasn't any better during the rest of the summer." Severus finished.

"No, I suppose it wasn't. Anyway, yesterday Minerva and I called two members of the order who work in the Ministry. They talked with Harry and now Minerva has the guardianship until we can find a good family for Harry. Oh, and if you see Albus trying to steal a potion don't let him." Poppy said smiling.

"What have you two done?" Severus asked surprised.

"Oh, not a lot. Maybe Minerva has punched him on the face and I decided he could heal himself… And of course, he can’t have a pain reliever." Poppy said smirking. "Well, try to rest a bit, even if you're not going to sleep. You are still weak. And take the fever reducing potion."


Harry woke up after an hour, when Albus was entering the Hospital Wing. Harry stared at his broken nose shocked, but Severus smirked.

"Hello my boys, how are you doing? Minerva and Poppy told me what happened." Albus said with his eyes twinkling when he saw the two wizards.

"Headmaster? What happened to you?" Harry asked with wide eyes.

"Your Head of the House was not very happy this morning. And she was right. I must apologize with you two. Harry, I'm so sorry I didn't realise what you had to suffer for 15 years. And Severus, I should have verified that you were fine when you didn't come back to Hogwarts that night. I'm so sorry." Albus said.

Severus growled and opened the mouth to answer a rude sentence to the old wizard, but Harry kicked him a bit with the elbow and answered first.

"It's ok Headmaster, you didn't know, you only wanted me to be safe with the blood wards."

"Yes Harry, but I should have paid attention when you asked me to stay here. I must have known you were abused." Albus said, and Harry flushed when he said the word ‘abused’. "Now my boy, can you wait for me in my office? I have to tell you something."

Harry stood up and Severus was going to do the same when Albus talked.

"Not you Severus. I believe you are not released from the Hospital Wing. The password is Lollipop my boy. I'll be there in a few minutes."

"I'll see you later Severus." Harry said before going out of the infirmary.

"What do you want?" Severus asked angrily.

"I see the boy has forgiven you, Severus." Albus said with his eyes twinkling again.

"Indeed." Severus answered, without giving more information.

"He was the one who rescued you and took care of you." Albus said, hoping to hear the story from Severus.

"I'm sure Harry told Minerva and Poppy what happened, so I imagine they have told you what you must know. Yes, he found me and he took care of me. He continued taking care of me when he realised I wasn't really a cat. If he didn't I would have died." Severus said looking the couch where Harry had left the thermometer and the flannels the night before. "What are you going to tell him?"

"I have to tell him why his friends didn't write during the summer. I should go with him now Severus. Get well soon." Albus said, and disappeared before Severus could answer.


Albus had explained Harry that his friends were in Grimmauld Place, Sirius house, with the Order of Phoenix and that they weren't allowed to send letters. After explaining what the order was, he told him that his godfather and Remus were there too. Harry wasn't paying a lot of attention, he wanted to go back to the infirmary and stay with Severus. He realised it would be strange for him to sleep in the Gryffindor tower that night without Severus. Harry knew he was being an idiot. He had only been three days with the man (or the cat during the 2 first days), but he was more relaxed in the man presence. Maybe it was because he had promised Harry that he won’t never have to go back with his relatives. Or maybe because the man seemed to need him, and no one had never needed him. And he needed the man too.

But that night was the Welcome Feast, and even if Severus had apologized, the things would be the same again. Severus will hate him.

Suddenly Harry's scar started hurting.

"No! Severus!" Harry muttered horrified.

"Harry? What happens?" Albus asked confused. But Harry had already gone out of the office running.

He arrived to the infirmary shouting "Please Severus, don't go!"


Poppy appeared with some porridge for Severus after Albus left. Severus wanted to leave the infirmary and he thought it was better to ask Poppy when she was pleased with him. He ate everything before calling her.

"I'll go to my quarters now, Poppy. I've finished my breakfast." Severus said.

"You won't leave now young man. You have wounds that need to heal and you are a little feverish" Poppy said calmly.

"When are you going to release me? After lunch?" Severus asked narrowing his eyes.

"Maybe on Sunday evening if you do what you're told." Poppy said smiling.

"What?! Are you crazy woman? If I stay here all the dunderheads will come to invade my privacy. And, on the other hand I have to go to the Feast tonight and then I have to talk with my new snakes and the older ones.” Severus said furiously.

“I suppose that Sinistra can do that.” She said.

Severus winced when his dark mark started burning and not much later Harry appeared running through the big wooden door or the infirmary.

“Please Severus, don’t go!” Harry shouted panting.

The potions professor saw the concerned look in Harry’s eyes. How did the boy know that the Dark Lord was calling? Severus was about to ask when Harry collapsed in the floor and started shouting scratching his scar. Severus looked terrified. He sat on the floor and took Harry’s hands.

“Poppy, give me the murtlap essence!” Severus yelled looking at the medi-witch. Then he looked at Harry and said in a soothing voice: “Harry, try to relax, listen to my voice. You are in Hogwarts, you are safe.”

Severus put some murtlap essence in the scar and continued saying soothing words until Harry relaxed.

“Don’t go with him sir.” Harry whimpered. “Please, promise me you won’t go. You can’t go!”

Severus glanced at Dumbledore, who had arrived to the infirmary some seconds before.

“It depends on you, my boy, if you want to quit spying we will find another way. I’ve made a lot of mistakes with the both of you, I won’t force you to do anything you don’t want to do. I know you were badly injured after the three times you went to him this summer.” Albus told him.

Harry couldn’t hold his tears anymore and they started sliding down his face. “Please Severus. Don’t go.” He whimpered.

“Hush child. I won’t.” Severus said squeezing Harry’s hands. “Do you think you can walk to the bed?” The teacher asked. After Harry nodded, Poppy helped him.

“What happened?” Albus asked.

“He was furious. He used the cruciatus curse with Malfoy and Goyle. He asked something and they didn’t know the answer. Then he tortured and killed two muggles” Harry answered wheezing.

“What did he ask?” Continued Albus.

“I don’t know!” Harry answered clenching his fists. He didn’t want to talk about it.

“I think it’s enough Headmaster. He is scared.” Snape muttered looking at the Headmaster with a murderous glare.

“Yes, I’m sorry. Try to rest Harry. I have to take care of some things. Poppy, may I have a word with you?” Albus said.

“How are you? Do you need something?” Severus asked and sat in Harry’s bed.

“I’m fine, my head hurts but it will stop eventually.” Harry answered curling in his bed and looked at his hands.

“Maybe you could have a potion for it.” Severus said.

“No, they don’t work. But thank you Severus.” When Severus frowned, Harry elaborated a bit. “The headmaster hasn’t even asked if I was fine. He has only asked about what I had seen. He didn’t even care about the muggles. You were the only one concerned. So thank you for caring.”

“There’s no need to thank me. But you’re welcome Harry. And I must say that Poppy was also concerned.” Severus said.

“Yeah, but it’s her job” Harry answered.

“No, Harry, it’s not only because of that. Poppy cares about you.” Severus said placing his hands in Harry’s arm. “We won’t talk about it because I know you don’t want to. But let me say that it’s not your fault. You-know-who killed Cedric. And the muggles you saw today are dead because of him. Not because of you. Have that in mind.” Severus said looking at the young boy.

Harry looked in the man’s eyes. “Thank you.” He said. He didn’t agree with Severus, but he was grateful. His potions teacher was the only one who had told him that to make him feel better. He realised then that Severus was pale, and he was pressing his left arm against his chest.

“Maybe you should lie down Severus, are you OK?” Harry said.

“It’s my mark.” Severus said truthfully. “He’s angry about my absence. But I’m fine.”

“No, you’re not. He’s hurting you.” Harry said with an angry voice. He moved to the empty side of the bed and he sat. He moved the pillows against the headboard and lied down half-sitting and half reclining and he gestured to Severus to do the same thing. Severus did the same and closed his eyes, he was beginning to feel lightheaded.

“Can I see it Severus? Your mark I mean.” Harry asked. Severus frowned but rolled his left sleeve up. The mark was swelled and the skin was reddened. The snake was moving causing Severus more pain. Snape winced when Harry grabbed his arm. “Sorry” Harry apologized, but he didn’t release Severus arm.

“Can you hear me?” Harry hissed in Parseltongue.

“Yessss sssspeaker. What can I do for you?” The snake of the mark answered.

“Could you stop moving? This man is in pain because of you.” Harry said.

“Yessss, I can. I must obey the orders of the sssspeakers. I obeyed when the other sssspeaker told me to move, but I didn’t know I was hurting someone.” The snake said glancing at the man.

“Thank you, by the way, my name is Harry, you can call me that.” Harry said smiling.

“Great Harry. If you me to sssstop when he issss in pain I will; but I can’t do it if a sssspeaker doesn’t give me the order.” The snake said, and froze in Severus’ arm.

“What have you done?” The professor asked confused, but with an evident sign of relief in his face.

“I told the snake to stop. It can obey the orders of a speaker. Are you feeling better?” Harry said with a smile. He put some murtlap essence, that Severus’ had left in the bedside table, in the swelled arm and he released it.

“Yes. It doesn’t hurt now. Thank you Harry.” Severus said looking at the child.

“You’re welcome sir. Tell me if it starts hurting again, I will tell the snake to stop.” Harry said.

“I will, thank you again child.” Severus said placing his hand in the boy’s leg and wondering why he hadn’t seen before what a wonderful boy Harry was.