Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi, I've been told that there were some problems with this chapter, I'm uploading it again. Please tell me if you can read it now. Thank you!
Chapter 8: Room of Requirement

Harry stayed thinking in what Poppy said. Who could have thought that he and Snape were so alike? He always put a silencing charm at nights when he was at Hogwarts. He didn’t want anyone noticing that he was having nightmares. In fact, his potions professor was the first one who had seen his nightmares. Well, besides his uncle who was always happy to be there to beat Harry.

The young wizard finished the book before going to sleep. It wasn’t very late when he finished, but Harry was tired and he decided he would go to bed. He took a quick shower first and he climbed into his bed. Severus was sleeping peacefully; his fever was broken due to the potion. Harry knew it would probably come back, because his professor body was still fighting with the infection.

Harry fell asleep quickly, but he woke up 3 hours later. He had always been a light sleeper, so Harry heard the noises immediately when Severus started whimpering in his dreams.

“Severus, wake up, you’re having a dream!” Harry said shaking Severus.

“Harry? I’m sorry, I didn’t want to wake you.” Severus said embarrassed. He had had a nightmare again, and he was bothering Harry again. He wondered why Harry was still with him.

“You don’t have to apologise, sir, it’s not your fault you have nightmares.” Harry said putting the flannel in the professor’s forehead.

“Why are you still here?” Severus asked in a low voice. The boy had forgiven him, yes, but still, nobody wanted to spend his time with the greasy git of the dungeons. He didn’t deserve it.

“What? Sir, I’m going to stay here until Sunday, you agreed with that.” Harry asked frowning. Snape was hot, but not enough for being delirious. Harry sat in his professor bed. Maybe he had changed his mind after all. “I can leave if you don’t want me here, but I would have to call Poppy.”

“You can leave if you want. You don’t have to stay.” Severus said shakily. He didn’t want him to go, but he couldn’t keep the boy there against his will.

“I will if you want me to sir.” Harry said. When Severus didn’t answer, it was clear for Harry that he didn’t want him to leave, but he didn’t know why he was saying that thing. “Severus, why are you saying this if you don’t want me to leave?” Harry asked.

“I’m being selfish. I’m bothering you all the time. You haven’t seen your friends in months, I’m sure you want to be with them now. And I’ll be ok if you go with them.” Severus said looking to the other side of the room. He couldn’t look at those green eyes.

Harry stood up from Severus’ bed and he moved his bed closer to his professor’s. “I offered to stay with you, I want to, and you’re not being selfish. I’m sure my friends are sleeping now, anyway. And we are tired, so let’s sleep. We’ll talk in the morning.” Harry said while he curled in his bed. He wasn’t sure if Severus wanted being comforted in that moment, so he didn’t want to stay in Severus’ bed; but he didn’t want his professor to think that he didn’t want to be there for him so he put his hand near Severus’. “Goodnight sir.”

Severus smiled. It was nice to hear that. It was nice to think that someone cared. He took the boy’s hand and he said “Goodnight child.”


Harry woke up at 7.30 am. He had slept well the rest of the night, Severus hadn’t woken up again, and he was still holding onto the child’s hand. He stood up quietly and he released his hand from the professor’s grip. He took Severus temperature with the spell that Poppy had taught him. 38.2ºC; at least it was time for the fever reducer.

As he was going to the kitchen to prepare the breakfast, he realised that the kitchen would be empty, so he called Dobby.

“Harry Potter sir wanted to see Dobby?” The elf asked smiling.

“Yes Dobby. If I write you a list with some ingredients could you bring them for me?” Harry asked.

“Of course Master Harry!” Dobby answered. “Call me again when you have that list.”

“Thank you Dobby.” Harry said, and he took a piece of parchment to write the ingredients down.

-Flour

-Sugar

-Baking powder

-Milk

-Butter

-Eggs

-Chocolate

Harry called Dobby again and he gave him the parchment. Dobby appeared five minutes later with all the ingredients, and he promised to bring him more ingredients in the afternoon. Harry prepared the pancakes and he went to Severus room with them.

“Wake up sir. Madam Pomfrey will come soon and she will be mad if you haven’t eaten breakfast.” Harry said softly.

Severus opened his eyes moving his head to look at Harry.

“How do you feel?” Harry asked.

“I’m better. My leg doesn’t hurt a lot. It smells good, have you cooked it?” Snape said looking the pancakes with chocolate.

“Yes, how did you know?” Harry asked surprised.

“The house elves don’t usually cook pancakes, and if they do, the pancakes are different.” Severus said.

Harry smiled and helped him to sit in the bed. He put the breakfast in the side table and they started eating.

“Did Poppy come last night?” Severus asked.

“Yes of course, you were asleep. She only stayed a little.” Harry answered.

“Oh. What were you doing?” The older wizard asked.

“I was reading. I finished the book when she left. I loved it.” Harry said.

Severus was going to say something when Thara appeared.

“Thara is sent to tell Masters that Madam Pomfrey is going to come soon if that’s ok.” The little elf said.

“Thank you Thara.” Harry answered, and the elf disappeared.

“Are you going to clean my wounds again before she comes?” Severus asked.

“No sir, yesterday she didn’t see it, I’ll do it when she comes so she can examine it.” Harry asked and Severus growled. “I’ll be the one who cleans the wounds, but she will want to see it, sir.” Harry added laughing.

“Fine, but I won’t go back to the infirmary.” He said.

“Your leg is better; she won’t make you go back. And yesterday you didn’t mind going to the infirmary.” Harry said accio-ing the fever reducing potion and giving it to Severus.

“I didn’t want to go back. I just didn’t want you to stay here if you didn’t want to.” Severus said a little ashamed.

“I wouldn’t have offered in the hospital wing if I weren’t willing to stay here.” Harry answered smiling.

“Good morning Severus, Harry. How was your night?” Poppy said entering the bedroom.

“I’m perfectly fine, Poppy. When can I leave the bed? I must prepare my classes.” Severus answered.

“When your fever breaks, young man. What temperature did you have when you wake up?” Poppy asked.

“38.2ºC ma’am.” Harry answered and Severus glared at him. The boy found the situation amusing and he laughed.

“Detention Mr. Potter.” Severus said.

“Severus!” Poppy reprimand him.

“Don’t worry Madam Pomfrey. I know he doesn’t mean it.” Harry said smiling. “I was going to clean the wounds; do you want to see his leg?”

“Yes, Harry. Did you give him the potion?” Poppy said smiling back.

“Yes, after breakfast, that’s why his fever isn’t so high now.” Harry answered.

“Poppy, I’m here, you can ask me instead of doing like if I’m absent.” Severus grumbled.

“I’m aware of that, but since you weren’t saying the truth I decided to ask him.” Poppy said giving a warning look.

Luckily for Severus, Poppy only stayed there five minutes. Like the night before, she decided that Harry was capable enough of taking care of Severus, and she left to attend the hospital wing. She told Harry that Severus could get up the next day if he stayed without fever during the night.

After losing two games of the wizarding chess, Harry brought him some parchment and the potions books so he could prepare his classes without leaving his bed. Severus gave him the book for that year, and they both stayed in a comfortable silence until lunch time.

When they finished, Harry decided that Severus had to take a nap. The professor didn’t have another option when Harry started talking in that soft voice he used when he wanted him to sleep. The young wizard was going to choose another book from the living room when his Head of the House appeared through the fireplace.

“Hi Harry, what are you doing?” Minerva asked.

“Hi professor. I was going to pick a book to read, since Severus is sleeping.” Harry said.

“Oh, that’s ok, but I was coming to propose you something. Your friends are worried about you, yesterday they came to talk with me. I thought maybe you want to meet them.” Minerva said.

“I can’t meet them; I can’t leave Severus alone.” Harry said.

“That’s why I’ve come. I will stay with him while you are with Ron and Hermione. Just find a place where no one can hear you.” Minerva said smiling.

“Thank you, ma’am. I will come back soon.” Harry said smiling back. “Send Dobby if you need something.”

“Have a good time. I told your friends to wait for you in the potions classroom.” Minerva told him.


“Why has McGonagall told us to wait here?” Ron asked.

“Ron, I’ve already told you I don’t know it!” Hermione answered tiredly.

“Hi guys. I suppose I can tell you why, but we have to find a place to go first.” Harry said.

“Harry! We were very worried! Where have you been?” Hermione said.

“Let’s find a place to talk. A Slytherin can hear us if we stay here.” Harry said.

“Harry Potter, sir. I can show you a place if you want. I was cleaning in the other dungeon when Dobby heard the three of you. Dobby can help.” The house elf said smiling.

Not much later that, Harry, Ron and Hermione where in the seventh floor, in the Room of Requirement. Dobby said that the room only appeared when a person is in great need of it, and since he couldn’t risk someone to overhear the conversation, the room was perfect for it.

The room was pretty big, it had a coach and an armchair, one in front of another, with a table between them. Harry sat on the armchair and his two friends on the couch. Three mugs of tea appeared on the table.

“Wow. This room is fantastic! How comes that we didn’t discover it before?” Ron asked.

“Because we didn’t even know it existed.” Hermione answered.

“Well, guys, Dumbledore told me that you spend your summer in Sirius’ house.” Harry said trying to delay talking about Severus.

“Yeah mate. We weren’t allowed to send you letters, we tried, but Dumbledore had put an anti-owl ward. No owl could get through it.” Ron answered.

“Now Harry, you have to tell us something.” Hermione said.

“Erm, yeah. Well, first you have to promise me that no one will know about this.” Harry said.

“You know that we won’t tell, Harry, but you have my oath that I won’t tell anyone about this.” Hermione said, and elbowed Ron.

“Yeah, you have my oath as well.” Ron said.

“Good.” Harry said nervously. “Try to listen all the story first.”

“Yes, Harry. Tell us what happened now! Where were you?” Hermione said impatiently.

“I was in Snape’s quarters, McGonagall came to tell me that you were worried, and she’s staying with Snape until I go back.” Harry said.

“What the hell?! Why were you with that greasy git?!” Ron said.

“Because he isn’t a greasy git anymore Ron. And now, listen to the rest.” Harry said.

“He came to check on me during the summer. He got injured and he saw my uncle’s treatment. He was very upset, and he apologised for his treatment during these years. McGonagall came to rescue us. Poppy healed my back, but Severus is still recovering. Someone has to stay with him until tomorrow.” Harry summarized, not mentioning that Severus was a cat animagus and another details.

“Have you gone mad? Really Harry, did your uncle hit you in the head?” Ron shouted.

“Ron, you have to trust me. He’s different now. He regrets what he did.” Harry said.

“But Harry, how can you be sure?” Hermione asked.

Before Harry could answer, Thara appeared in the room with a ‘pop’.

“Master Harry, mistress McGonagall has sent Thara to ask if Master Severus can have a fever reducing potion. Mistress McGonagall said that Master Severus is having a slightly high temperature and Mistress Poppy is not in the castle.” Thara said.

“He can’t have another one until dinner time. Is Severus awake?” Harry asked.

“No, Master.” Thara answered.

“How high is his temperature?” Harry asked.

“Mistress said 38” Thara said.

“Fine, I left a flannel in the bathroom, tell her to put it on Severus forehead. If he has a nightmare tell her to send you or Dobby to take me back.” Harry said.

“Thara will do that, Master.” Thara said and disappeared.

When Harry turned around he saw his two friends looking at him with their mouth opened.

“What?” Harry said.

“So yesterday you slept in his quarters, and I suppose you’ll sleep there today too.” Hermione said.

“Yes.” Harry answered. “I’ll go to the tower tomorrow.”

“Harry, do you want us to believe that he has changed?” Ron asked.

“Just trust me Ron. I promise you he has. You didn’t see him when my uncle beat me with the belt.” Harry said.

“Are you ok?” Hermione asked concerned.

“Yes, Poppy healed me. And Severus promised me that I won’t return there.” Harry said smiling.

“You know mate, it’s so weird to hear you calling him Severus. But I’ll give him a chance.” Ron said.