Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

CHAPTER 9

**AUTHOR'S NOTES: You will probably recognize bits and pieces of Chapters 6 + 7 of "Half Blood Prince". Although I have tried to parallel canon, I hope you're also enjoying the alterations! ^_^ It's been exciting, attempting to see the story from different points of view. I'm relishing the challenge. But what about you, my lovely readers? Are you enjoying the changes so far? Let me know by reading and reviewing! It's the highlight of my day when I hear that people are enjoying this journey as much as I am. :) Thank you for joining me!

Chapter 9

In the ensuing chaos, Harry had also seen the white-blond boy dart from the bookstore, and now watched in shock as his father followed suit. He's leaving me to chase after Malfoy? Harry didn't want to admit it, but watching his father race after his nemesis stung his pride.

He didn't have much time to ponder however, for at that moment Tonks took charge and ushered them directly across the street to Fred and George's joke shop.

"C'mon guys," she muttered. "Before they start to wake up. Blevins can be a real ballbuster. Go, go!"

"Harry?" Fred asked in surprise when the group hurried through the front door. "Ron? Hermione?"

"What's happening out there?" Chorused George, standing behind his twin. Glancing around the store, Harry was relieved to see that it looked as though most of the joke shop's patrons had emptied out when they'd seen the commotion across the way.

But before he could explain anything, Tonks started barking orders. "Hagrid, stay by the door. No one gets in without my approval." When the half-giant nodded and took up his post, she immediately turned toward the twins. "We need you to empty out the store."

Looking bewildered at the unknown, authoritative old witch standing before them, both twins shot a long look at Harry, Ron, and Hermione before turning to usher out the few remaining customers. When everyone was gone, Tonks removed the disguise.

"I'm sorry guys, but we're short on time. Is there somewhere these three can stay while Hagrid and I regroup? I'm not even sure where Snape went…"

Even though Harry had seen exactly where – and who – his father had gone, for some reason he didn't quite understand chose to remain silent. I have to get out here, he thought frantically. What if Malfoy… But he cut himself off, refusing to consider the many grim possibilities.

As he and his friends were led behind the curtains and ushered up the stairs to the twins' flat, an idea suddenly occurred to him. The flat might have one! I saw them on other apartment buildings when Remus and I went to London this summer!

"We shouldn't be here long," Tonks clipped as they entered the large studio flat. She went from window to window, peeking worriedly out of each before forcefully shutting the curtains. "I need to figure out where Snape ran off to… I told him it there should have been more of us," she murmured angrily to herself. "It wouldn't have been obvious – we know how to blend in!"

It was as she peered out the last window beside one of the twins' beds that Harry spied what he was looking for: the dark metal grating of a fire escape.

"Stay put, alright?" Tonks requested as she headed for the door. Harry forced away the guilt that rose in him when he nodded, knowing perfectly well that he would leave the moment she stepped out of the apartment. Dad might be in trouble, he attempted to convince himself. I trust Malfoy about as much as I trust Mundungus with the crown jewels…

"Harry?" chimed Hermione when he immediately went to the window beside the bed and flung back the curtains.

"Mate, what're you–?"

"I know where my dad went," Harry blurted, attempting to pry the window open. "Malfoy was the one who stupefied everyone."

"Malfoy?" Ron questioned in confusion. "Are you sure?"

"Positive."

Hermione didn't seem so certain. "Harry, why would Malfoy–?"

"I don't know!" Harry retorted, throwing his shoulder against the window to force it open when it tried to stick. He spun around to snatch his knapsack off the ground, hurriedly seizing his Invisibility Cloak as he added, "All I know is that my dad ran after him, and I don't trust Malfoy not to lead him into a trap. What if the Malfoys have discovered that he's a double-agent or something?"

"Professor Snape is a very capable wizard," Hermione tried to convince him. "He's been a spy for fifteen years! He can take care of–"

"Fine, then. Don't come," Harry snapped, flinging the Cloak over himself and holding it above his head so his friends could still see him. "But he's my family. I'm not going to lose him, too. Not when there's something I can do about it."

Harry disappeared as he settled the Invisibility Cloak around himself. But as he turned to climb out the window, he heard both Ron and Hermione cry out in unison.

"Wait!"

As they scrambled under the cloak with him, Harry couldn't help but smile gratefully at his two best friends. For all his angry bluster, he was relieved to have them by his side.

"Thanks," he murmured simply.

It was hard work keeping all three of them hidden underneath the cloak, and clambering down the fire escape took longer than anticipated. Thankfully the fire escape was attached to the rear of the building, which provided them ample cover since no one was around to see. When their feet were finally back on solid ground, Harry was grateful to see that they had been dumped only a few hundred feet from Knockturn Alley. Although Harry couldn't be sure that the dark street was where Malfoy had been headed, there really wasn't much else in the direction he'd been headed. And I'm sure the place must feel like home to the son of two prominent Death Eaters, he thought accusingly.

"Come on," he murmured, and the three of them scurried toward the alley's entrance.

They scoured the dodgy alley for what felt like years, the tension and worry for his father growing in his chest with each passing second. When they finally found Malfoy standing in the shadows outside of Borgin and Burke's, Harry let out a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding, feeling strangely vindicated.

The feeling didn't last, however. Because in that moment he realized who the silver-haired snake was standing alongside. No longer disguised, his father protectively grasped Malfoy by the shoulders and bent his head to speak to him at eye level. It was a position that Harry recognized, as his father often did the same when talking to him. Harry felt the tension return tenfold, and although he would never admit it, a fiery bolt of jealousy tore through him.

"I can't hear what they're saying," Ron whispered.

"Let's get closer!" Harry quietly insisted, not waiting for a response.

"Careful Harry!" Gasped Hermione. "Slow down! Our feet are showing!"

Harry abruptly halted as his father's soft, somewhat panicked voice drifted towards them through the gloom.

"...didn't see your mother. Where is she?"

"I left her at the… at the tea shop," Malfoy babbled, looking even more like a twitchy little ferret than he normally did. "She's... not… well, she's not herself. I don't even know why he insisted she come with me – this is the first time she's even been out of the house since…" His pale face hardened in anger. "Even back home, he's always by her side – always! I don't know, it doesn't make sense… Maybe he's forcing her to spy on me or–"

His father gave the blond boy a hard shake. "What in Merlin's name are you doing here?! We told you to stay under the radar and not draw any attention to yourself! What the hell were you doing at Flourish and Blott's?"

"You said that Borgin and Burke had one!" Malfoy cried in a desperate, almost whiney tone. But when his father barked a quick, "Shhh!" and gazed nervously over his shoulder, Malfoy immediately lowered his voice. "I was researching, alright? At Flourish and Blott's. I was reading about how they work." His eyes pleaded for understanding. "I had to come, don't you understand? I had to!"

"I said Borgin and Burke's may have one! I haven't even had a chance– For God's sake, are you trying to blow this entire operation?!"

"No, I just..." Malfoy ran a hand through his hair, looking pitiful. "If you saw my mother, you'd understand–"

"You need to leave before you're seen, Draco. Get your mother and go back to Malfoy Manor, before the Aurors realize you had anything to do with what happened at Flourish and Blott's. You attacked a group of Aurors, for God's sake!"

"But what about–"

His father cut him off, pushing him forcefully in the direction of the alleyway entrance. "We'll deal with it when you are back at school. Now go, you idiot boy!" Malfoy hesitated, looking as if he wanted to argue. But when Snape's eyes narrowed dangerously upon him, the teenager turned and ran from view.

Unable to tear his gaze away, Harry watched as his father made a move to run his hand through his hair, a habitual motion that his father only did when he was stressed. But as Snape's discolored, swollen hand gave a sudden twinge, his father gasped and winced in pain. Not realizing that anyone was there to witness his agony, he murmured a string of curses as he tenderly opened and closed his fist. Harry was immediately livid at Malfoy all over again, blaming the Slytherin for his father's obvious pain.

Gazing down the alley the way that Malfoy had run, his father suddenly turned and looked right at them. Harry took a sharp breath as his heart skipped a beat, immediately thinking they'd been caught. Snape appeared infuriated and – strangely enough – resolute. As he approached with a threatening air, Harry almost flung the cloak off them to beg his forgiveness.

Thankfully, Hermione was more level-headed. Grasping Harry's wrist to halt his movements, she gently shook her head, and Harry was shocked when his father strode past them into Borgin and Burke's. They all held their breaths as he approached, for he passed close enough to make the cloak flutter around their ankles.

All three heaved sighs of relief as they scuttled toward the store's door, looking for Snape. They saw him at the counter with his back to them, just visible beyond the very same large black cabinet in which Harry had once hidden to avoid Malfoy and his father when he'd accidentally floo'd into the dark store just before his second year at Hogwarts.

The proprietor of the shop, Mr. Borgin, an oily-haired, stooping man, stood behind the counter facing his father. He was wearing a curious expression of mingled resentment and fear.

"If only we could hear what they're saying!" said Hermione.

"Wait – we can!" said Ron excitedly. "I found some stuff in Fred and George's flat, just sitting there on the end of the bed. Hang on — damn—" He dropped a couple more boxes he was clutching as he fumbled with the largest. "Extendable Ears, look!"

"Fantastic!" said Hermione, past caring that Ron had stolen from his brothers. Ron unraveled the long, flesh-colored strings and began to feed them toward the bottom of the door. "Oh, I hope the door isn't Imperturbable," Hermione whispered.

"No!" said Ron gleefully. "Listen!"

They put their heads together and listened intently to the ends of the strings, through which Snape's voice could be heard loud and clear, as though a radio had been turned on.

"…you know how to fix it?"

"Possibly," said Borgin, in a tone that suggested he was unwilling to commit himself. "I'll need to see it, though. Why don't you bring it into the shop?"

"I can't you imbecile, I told you," his father sneered. "Just tell me how to do it."

Harry saw Borgin lick his lips nervously.

"Well, without seeing it, I must say it will be a very difficult job, perhaps impossible. I couldn't guarantee anything."

"No?" drawled Snape, fiddling with the sleeve on his left arm. "Perhaps this will make you more confident."

He moved toward Borgin and was blocked from view by the large cabinet. Harry, Ron, and Hermione shuffled sideways to try and keep him in sight, but all they could see was Borgin, looking very frightened.

"Tell anyone," his father hissed darkly, "and there will be retribution. You know who I am, Borgin. I have friends on all sides."

"There will be no need for—"

"I'll decide that," Snape clipped, moving aside enough that the three friends could see him buttoning his left sleeve at the wrist. "Well, I'd better be off. And don't forget to keep that one safe, I'll need it."

"Perhaps you'd like to take it now?"

His father glared at the man as if he were the lowest, most brainless form of life. "Just. Don't. Sell it," he murmured threateningly, punctuating every word.

"No, no," Borgin hurried to say, bowing as deep as Harry had once seen him do for Lucius Malfoy. "Of course not, Mr. Snape."

"That's Professor Snape," his father replied with a smirk, as if to prove that he was as highly valued by Dumbledore as much as by the Dark Lord. But then his features turned harsh, almost threatening as he placed both hands upon the counter and leaned towards the trembling clerk. "Not a word of this to anyone, Borgin. Do you understand me? Not a word."

"Naturally, naturally," murmured Borgin, bowing low again.

And without a word of farewell, Snape turned on his heel and stalked out of the shop. His face transformed from cocky self-confidence to repulsed self-disgust the moment he turned his back on Borgin. Looking both ways as he exited the shop, he quickly disappeared into the shadows. A few moments later, the three friends watched as the unassuming, balding man from before hurried out of Knockturn Alley.

"What was that about?" whispered Ron, reeling in the Extendable Ears.

"Dunno," muttered Harry. "But we'd better hurry if we want to make it back to the flat before he does."

They didn't bother being careful on the way back. Sprinting the entire way, the friends figured that no one would be able to identify them by their legs. Scrambling up the metal ladder of the fire escape, Ron ducked out from under the cloak to throw open the window. Diving into the room, Harry had only just stuffed his Invisibility Cloak back into his knapsack before the door opened and his father hurried into the room.

"Is everyone alright?" Snape asked.

"Of course!" Harry quipped, his voice sounding a little higher than normal, even to his own ears. Snape seemed to notice as well, for he narrowed his eyes on his son.

Before he could inspect Harry too closely however, Hermione had his father on the defense. "So, uh… Who was it that you were chasing, sir? Did you catch him?"

"What?" Retorted his father. "I wasn't… Well, it was no one of importance. Gather your things, we'll be leaving shortly." Obviously caught off guard by the question, Snape's attention was immediately drawn away from his son's suspicious actions. Harry threw Hermione a grateful look, thankful he could call the brightest witch of their age his friend.

. . . . .

Later that evening in the empty Gryffindor Common Room, Ron and Hermione sat in the overstuffed sofa, while Harry stole a pillow from a nearby armchair and made himself comfortable on the thick floor rug before the crackling fireplace. The room around them was dim in the darkening twilight, which suited Harry's ugly mood.

What trouble is Malfoy up to this time? And why is Dad putting so much on the line to protect him? Harry wasn't sure how he felt about that, if he was completely honest with himself.

"What do you think Snape showed Borgin that made him so afraid?" Ron asked suddenly, his brow furrowed in thought.

Harry took a moment to reply. He had a pretty good idea… But if I'm right, it means Dad is in even more danger than before. "I think he showed Borgin his dark mark…" he finally murmured, staring deeply into the flames.

"What?" Hermione blurted. "No way, Harry. He wouldn't! I mean, people have been accusing him of being a spy for Voldemort since the first war! There's no way he'd jeopardize his reputation–"

"I know," Harry interrupted, lowering his hand to pick at the carpet fibers beneath him. "But you saw Borgin's face – he was terrified. And what else would Dad need to unbutton his sleeve for? His left sleeve, even?"

"He's got a point, Hermione," Ron declared, glancing at the bushy-haired girl. "What else would have scared Borgin – the guy who makes his living selling dark artifacts?"His eyes flicked toward Harry. "Have you… err… heard of anything that Snape could be working on for You-Know-Who?"

"No," Harry muttered. Would his father even tell him if he did? Obviously not. But he'd apparently told Malfoy…

Hermione wasn't ready to give up the battle, however. Sitting up straighter she said, "I still don't think Professor Snape would reveal himself like–"

And suddenly there he was, as if she'd conjured him.

The large fireplace roared with emerald flames, and Snape's head popped into existence within them. All three jumped as if the centaur herd had suddenly galloped into the room.

"Good, you're here," Snape articulated in his silkiest, most unnerving tone. "Come through to Lily's Tower – all of you. We need to talk."

The three friends glanced apprehensively at one another. Does he know…? Harry wondered nervously. "Are… are we in trouble?"

Snape raised a sardonic brow. "I'll leave the connection open so you can come through," he answered vaguely. And as quickly as he had arrived, his father's head disappeared.

"Bloody hell," Ron groaned. "He knows. He definitely knows."

"We're going to be in so much trouble!" Hermione whimpered.

"Maybe," Harry murmured, his mind whirring as he chewed anxiously on the corner of his lip. "But why would he wait so long before punishing us? We've been back at Hogwarts for hours now." Neither of his friends had an answer, and they stared at each other with blank, uncertain expressions. "Well," Harry muttered slowly as he got to his feet with resignation. "There's only one way to find out. Let's get this over with." Stepping into the green flames he loudly called, "Lily Prewett's quarters!"

As nervous as he was, Harry smiled when the spinning finally stopped and he opened his eyes, realizing that he was still standing as opposed to being spit from the fireplace. "I have to remember to thank the headmaster again," he murmured as he stepped out of the flames.

"Thank him for what, exactly?" Snape murmured silkily from the shadows beside the hearth, making Harry jump. He could sense something dangerous in his father's tone, but the floo roared to life before he had a chance to determine what. Hermione stepped out next, looking scared – but also intrigued.

"Wow," she muttered as she gazed intently around the tower's sitting room. "The Room of Requirement did a great job at replicating it…" Harry would have smiled when Snape rolled his eyes, if he wasn't so nervous that he and his friends were quite possibly about to be crucified.

"Now that you've properly inspected the place," Snape drawled, startling Hermione into a deep blush. "Have a seat. Both of you."

They immediately moved to do so, and within moments the fireplace flared green once again. Ron stormed out looking edgy but determined, as if he were ready for a fight. His father seemed to notice it as well, but simply arched a dark brow.

"Sit down, Mr. Weasley," he purred dangerously.

"Professor, we just–"

"I said sit. Down."

Crossing his arms huffily over his chest, Ron finally did so. The three friends sat side by side on the wide sofa in front of the fireplace, staring anxiously at the tall, dark professor. Snape stepped from the shadows before he started speaking, seeming to tower over them.

"We need to talk about–"

Suddenly the door burst open and two giggling girls rushed into the room.

"Hi, Harry!" Jillian chirped. Harry was so surprised by the sudden change of atmosphere that he didn't respond. He could feel his father's irritation at the interruption, but surprisingly enough Snape didn't chastise the girl.

Jilly's smiling eyes flicked towards Hermione. "Hermione!" she cried, jumping onto the couch and forcing herself between Harry and his friend.

Hermione seemed just as surprised as Harry. "Oh. Um…" Her nervous gaze flicked toward Snape, who pinched the bridge of his nose but made no move to stop the interaction. "Hi Jilly. How are you? And who's this?" She asked with a smile at the second little girl standing very prim and proper at the sofa's edge.

Still pinching the bridge of his nose, Snape didn't look up as he intoned, "Banes of my existence, meet Celine McGonagall." He then sighed dramatically and muttered, "As if one McGonagall in this accursed school wasn't enough to drive me into the asylum."

Harry and his friends glanced curiously at the younger McGonagall, a child who seemed as proper and reserved as their Head of House. The solemn, dark-haired girl curtsied for them in a very formal manner, making Ron snort with incredulous laughter. Without taking her eyes from Celine, Hermione elbowed the redhead hard in the stomach.

"It's nice to meet you, Celine," Hermione said with a smile. "We're, uh... friendsof your–"

Snape was unable to keep silent a moment longer. "Yes, yes!" He snapped."We're all such close friends. Let's hold hands and sing 'Kumbaya' around the campfire!" Celine stared up at him with dark, startled eyes, and the teens were shocked into silence for a long moment.

"Don't worry," Jillian whispered loudly to her friend. "He's not as scary as he pretends to be." Celine giggled, and Harry couldn't help snickering. But the laughter turned immediately to choking coughs at his father's sinister glare.

"May I continue?" he asked Jillian in his silkiest, most threatening tone.

"Mm-hmm!" Jilly answered with a smile up at Snape, completely unaffected. Hopping down from the sofa, she grinned at the other girl and held out her hand, chirping, "Come on Celine, let's go play in our room!"

Snape growled as the two little girls grasped hands and skipped from the room, then turned a lethal gaze upon the three teenagers. "As I was saying," he sneered down at them. "We need to talk about–"

"Oh good, Harry's here!" A female voice interrupted from the doorway. Lily was making her way into the tower, followed close behind by a smiling McGonagall.

"Good evening, you three," their Head of House murmured pleasantly, closing the tower door behind her. The older woman's eyes flicked towards the darkly scowling, livid Snape, and Harry could have sworn he saw her lips twitch at the corners.

"We just came from Hagrid's," Lily continued cheerfully, unaware – or just uncaring – of Snape's increasingly foul mood. "He showed us the unicorn herd." She headed into the large kitchen and with a flick of her wand, a steaming tea pot appeared. "They truly are remarkable creatures!"

"And beautiful," McGonagall sighed, joining Lily in the kitchen and nodding her thanks as the other woman poured her a cuppa. "I've forgotten just how magestic they are. I don't know who enjoyed them more – us or the girls!" Harry noticed that she had a distinctive Dumbledore-esque twinkle aimed at Snape, and couldn't help the feeling that the older woman knew exactly how much she was irritating his father.

"Hagrid was even able to get me a handful of tail hairs!" Lily excitedly continued. "They'll be really useful in the infirmary."

"Hagrid is such a helpful soul," McGonagall cooed, sipping innocently at her tea. "Did you know that he–"

"Do you mind?!" His father finally exploded. "I haven't been able to say two words without being interrupted some sort of estrogen-producing pest, and I'm attempting to discuss something rather important!" With a dramatic sigh he rubbed his temples and muttered, "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were trying to irritate me on purpose! I swear you're worse than the twits I'm forced to teach in class."

Lily and McGonagall arched their eyebrows. But when the two women gazed at each other out of the corner of their eyes, both burst out laughing.

"It's too easy to get under your skin, Sev," Lily chuckled.

"Yes Severus," McGonagall agreed. "No need to get so vexed. It's just a train ride – I'm sure even these three can handle it."

Harry looked at his Head of House, nonplussed. "Wait… What? This is about a train ride?"

"Dumbledore has decided to send you back to King's Cross Station tomorrow morning to catch the Hogwarts Express with the rest of the little dunderheads," his father growled. "It's important that you three act as if you have not been at Hogwarts this summer."

"So… We're not in trouble?" Ron asked.

"You will be if you don't stop the incessantly stupid questions!" Snape snapped. "Did I not just tell you why I requested your presence?"

Lily only laughed. "I also wanted to cook everyone a nice dinner to celebrate the last day of summer," she said with a wink at the teenagers.

"Joy," Snape murmured tonelessly, rolling of his eyes. "I definitely wanted to spend my last day of peace and quiet with these–"

The door opened to admit Remus and Tonks, their arms around each other as they hysterically laughed at some unheard joke. Tonks giggled so hard that she snorted, and in an instant her nose transformed from human to a perky little pig snout. Everyone in the room (except a darkly scowling Snape) erupted in laughter.

"Hi all!" Lupin called, happily chuckling at the girl in his arms. "Thanks for inviting us for dinner!"

Snape ran a hand over his face and groaned.