Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or On The Flip Side, they are works of J.K. Rowling and MusicMelis, respectively. Neither MusicMelis nor I make profit of any sort off of these works. In addition, neither of us claim to own the Harry Potter franchise and I do not claim to own On The Flip Side.
Chapter 3
When Harry and his friends walked up to the castle, Harry was quite aware of whispering and snickers being sent in his direction. Harry clenched his hands into fists as he tried to control his temper. He wanted to shout at the top of his lungs for everyone to just shut up. He forced himself to concentrate on Ron's and Hermione's argument over their familiars. Ron was convinced that her cat was after his rat. The distraction worked and Harry was able to relax and be amused at his friend's disagreement.

"Potter and Granger, if you could step this way for a moment!" Professor McGonagall called before the trio started up the stairs to Gryffindor Tower.

Harry sighed. This better not be about what happened on the train. He felt weary and dizzy and had hoped to lay down for a bit before the sorting feast was under way. Since the first years took the boats with Hagrid, they always had a little time before the feast started.

"I'll meet you guys in the common room. Or the Great Hall if you take too long." Ron said as he sprinted up the steps.

"Yes Professor?" Hermione asked after she and Harry had made their way to their Head of House.

"I would like to speak with you Miss. Granger about your schedule. First though, Mr. Potter how are you feeling?" Professor McGonagall asked as she looked at him critically. "I think a trip to the infirmary is in order."

Harry's eyes widened. He couldn't risk Pomfrey finding out about his glamour. "No Ma'am that won't be necessary. I'm fine."

Professor McGonagall looked unconvinced. "It wouldn't hurt for you to see Madam Pomfrey just to be sure."

"No!" Harry closed his eyes for a second and then opened them again, noting McGonagall's look of concern and disapproval. "Please Professor McGonagall, I really am fine. Professor Lupin gave us all chocolate and that helped loads."

"I see." Professor McGonagall nodded. "Very well. Go on ahead while I talk to Miss. Granger then."

Harry was beyond relieved. "Thank you Ma'am." He turned and walked to the stairs but before he could take the first step he heard loud sniggering from behind him.

"Well, well we aren't even back for a day and Potter is already demanding special attention." Jeremy shook his head.

"Be honest, you pretended to faint just to get more notice right?" Grant sneered at Harry. "You couldn't possibly be that weak that it was real."

"I don't know Grant." Jeremy said thoughtfully. "Potter is pretty pathetic. He really could be that weak." They both burst into laughter.

"It's nice that at least the two of you think you're funny." Harry rolled his eyes and turned to leave when Jeremy grabbed his arm and pulled him back. Harry bit his lip as his already bruised arm was aggravated.

"We didn't say you could go Potter!" Jeremy said, pulling himself up to fool height. "Ask permission and then we'll let you go. Do it boy!"

It was the term boy that was the final straw for Harry. He was in pain, had been in pain for while. He was hungry, tired, and just plain fed up. He pushed Jeremy as hard as he could and when Grant came at him, Harry shot out his foot and kicked the Ravenclaw in the shin. Without thinking he pulled his wand and pointed it straight at the two teenagers. "Furnunc-"His spell was stopped by a shout from McGonagall.

"Mr. Potter, lower your wand immediately!" Professor McGonagall hurried over with Hermione right behind her. "What do you think you are doing?"

"Potter's insane!" Grant snarled as he rubbed his shin.

"They wouldn't leave me alone! They're bullies!" Harry protested.

"Then you get an adult Mr. Potter, you do not attack and try to hex a fellow student!" Professor McGonagall said sternly.

Harry stared at her. It was always the same. The bullies got away with everything. "Take points then. I really don't care." Harry turned, ignoring Hermione's gasp and headed upstairs. His head was pounding and his side felt weird to the touch, even though it looked normal. He ignored everyone and went into his dorm and sat on his bed. He felt tired and guilty. He couldn't believe he had talked to McGonagall like that, it had just slipped out.

"What happened mate?" Ron asked as he came into the dorm. He sat down on the bed across from Harry. "Did McGonagall have bad news or something?"

Harry shook his head and was about to answer when Hermione burst in, her face set in disapproval. "Harry Potter what were you thinking? I can't believe you talked to Professor McGonagall like that!"

Ron looked at Harry in surprise. "What?"

"Stretton and Page started it but of course no one cares about that." Harry muttered.

"Professor McGonagall saw Jeremy grab you and was already coming over but then you attacked them!" Hermione huffed.

"You did? Awesome, what did you do?" Ron asked eagerly.

"I pushed Stretton down and kicked Page in the shin and was about to hex them when McGonagall stopped me." Harry said with a flush. He really couldn't believe he had done that. It wasn't like him. He put his hand to his side and grimaced slightly.

"He also spoke very rudely to Professor McGonagall." Hermione told Ron, neither of them saw the look of pain on Harry's face. "He told her to go ahead and take points and then walked away! Professor McGonagall was shocked and then she headed towards the Headmaster's office! Harry, for trying to hex a student you could be suspended or even expelled!"

"He didn't finish the hex." Ron pointed out easily. "Besides, students hex each other all the time. Remember when Malfoy cast the Leg-Locker curse on Neville? Nothing happened to him."

"That doesn't make it right Ronald! Besides, we don't know if Malfoy got away with it. Professor Snape may have heard about it and punished Malfoy." Hermione said, thought she didn't look too convinced.

Harry and Ron exchanged a look and then burst into laughter. "Professor Snape never punishes the Slytherins! He lets them do whatever they want!" Ron shook his head.

Hermione sighed and then gave a mild glare to Harry. "You should apologize to Professor McGonagall Harry. And I really hope you don't get into too much trouble."

"I will." Harry said as he stood up. He wavered a bit. "The feast should be starting soon."

"Let's go! I'm starving!" Ron said enthusiastically as they headed downstairs.

"How can you be starving when you ate half the food on the trolley on the train?" Hermione asked exasperatedly as they followed the rest of the Gryffindor's who were heading to dinner.

Ron shrugged. "I'm a growing boy."

Harry snickered as they entered the Great Hall. As he took his seat he looked to the head table and saw Dumbledore and McGonagall in conversation. He noticed that Snape appeared to be listening to them and as if he knew he was being watched, he cast a dark look towards Harry.

Harry flinched at the fury he saw on Snape's face and turned away. He tried to eat but found he was feeling sick to his stomach. He drank some water, forgoing the pumpkin juice he usually favored. He felt so hot and the water was nice and cool.

"Are you too nervous to eat?" Hermione asked somewhat sympathetically. She glanced at the Head Table. "Professor McGonagall doesn't look too mad."

"Hey Harry, is it true you beat up five students?" Dean Thomas asked eagerly.

"I heard one of them was Malfoy." Seamus Finnigan added.

"No it is not true." Harry sighed. "I did try to hex two Ravenclaws." He admitted.

"Fifth year Ravenclaws." Ron said proudly. He ignored Hermione's frown.

"Wow, that's great!" Dean immediately began sharing the news with the students sitting on the other side of him.

Harry shrugged and fiddled with his glass of water. He hoped he didn't get suspended or expelled; he couldn't go back to the Dursley's. He just couldn't. Suddenly a piece of paper floated above him and landed next to his glass. He read it and his heart sank.

"What is it?" Ron asked around a mouthful of pot roast.

"It says Dumbledore will be sending for me sometime after the feast and to be ready." Harry said nervously. He could only hope the note wasn't implying he needed to be ready to leave Hogwarts.

HPHPHPHP

"The boy's impulse problem is completely out of hand! Running away from home, pulling his wand on students, someone needs to keep him under control!" Snape fumed as he paced the headmaster's office.

"So you feel Harry needs more structure and someone to hold him accountable for any misbehavior?" Dumbledore said thoughtfully, stroking his beard.

"Yes!" Snape snapped. "How am I supposed to keep my promise and protect the boy if his bad behavior is allowed to continue?"

"And you believe Minerva does not do that?"

Snape snorted. "No offense to Minerva but no. She is known to let her favorite students get away with practically murder." He said darkly.

Dumbledore gave him a sad smile with a hint of regret in it. "Well then my boy, the solution is clear."

"And that would be?" Snape asked impatiently.

"For the first term of school we will sort Harry into Slytherin." Dumbledore answered, his blue eyes twinkling.

In an uncharacstic move Snape's mouth dropped open. "Have you gone mad Headmaster? Potter in Slytherin? That's insane!"

Dumbledore shrugged as he chose a lemon drop from the small tin on his desk. "You want to have someone keep a better eye on him and hold him accountable. Who better than yourself? After all, Harry was almost put in Slytherin to begin with."

"I do not-wait, what? That's impossible!" Snape scoffed. The golden boy being sorted into Slytherin?

"It's true. He talked the hat out of it." Dumbledore said with a smile. "Now, as he would be one of your Slytherins I would expect you to treat him as the rest of the students in your house. This is not an excuse for you to treat him as you usually do." Dumbledore said pointedly.

Snape sniffed and looked away. He knew he was unfair and unkind to the boy but he couldn't help it, the boy was so much like his father. Arrogant, spoiled and a rule breaker. Just like Potter senior. Except for the eyes…

"I do not appreciate that having Potter in Slytherin is treated as a form of punishment." Snape said stiffly.

"No my boy, that is not my intention. It is not a punishment; it is more like an experiment." Dumbledore said. "You feel Harry needs more guidance so I am giving you the opportunity to do so. Especially as this year he already has a threat against him."

"As it was two Ravenclaw's that Potter attacked perhaps he should be in that House." Snape suggested hopefully.

"Ah, but it is not Professor Flitwick who is arguing that the child needs more guidance." Dumbledore pointed out.

"I doubt Potter would be very happy to be in my house. He would have no friends." Snape pointed out.

"Perhaps he would make some." Dumbledore suggested.

Snape gritted his teeth. "Unlikely. And it's enough that I have to put up with that brat in my classes, I should not have to deal with him in my house as well."

Dumbledore leaned back in his chair. "Very well. We'll consider the matter dropped. However, I expect to hear no more complaints about Harry as I have given you a chance to help curb his impulsiveness."

Snape glared at the Headmaster. One of his few joys was complaining about Potter and now that was being taken away from him! "Perhaps there is some merit to your suggestion." He finally relented. With Black on the loose, Potter did need someone keeping a strict eye on him. "The boy needs to learn to think first before reacting. He also needs someone to make sure he does his schoolwork properly as he is a mediocre student at best."

Dumbledore gave him a knowing smile. "I should call for Minerva and tell her the situation. She may not be very pleased at first. Of course, she does count on Harry to win the Quidditch games." He quickly cast a patronus to send a message to the Deputy Headmistress.

Snape gave a smirk. "Yes, no Quidditch for the boy wonder. How will he ever cope?"

"Why couldn't he play Quidditch? He could be on the Slytherin team." Dumbledore suggested.

"We already have a seeker. Mr. Malfoy." Snape said though his mind was thinking if the Potter brat did play on his team, they could finally return to their winning streak. Hmm….

"You sent for me Albus?" Minerva stepped into the room and looked questionably between Snape and Dumbledore.

Snape listened with glee as Dumbledore told her of his little idea. The look on her face was priceless.

"Absolutely not Albus! Harry was sorted into Gryffindor and in Gryffindor he stays." Minerva said firmly. She nodded at Snape. "No offense Severus but I know how you feel about the boy. You and your students would just use this as an opportunity to be even crueler to the child."

Snape glared at her. "It is nice to see how little you think of me. In Slytherin we look out for own and Potter would be included in that if he were to be in my house."

"Sure he would." Minerva muttered, ignoring the furious look on Snape's face. "Harry stays in my house. There is no reason for him to be in Slytherin. It is not a suitable punishment for the fight this evening. A detention will be enough."

"Being in Slytherin is not a punishment!" Snape snapped at her. "There is nothing wrong with my house."

"I told you it was not a punishment Severus." Dumbledore said quietly. "Minerva, it is more of a learning exercise. I believe Harry could benefit from the experience."

"As well as be watched more carefully." Snape added with a sneer.

Minerva stiffened. "Are you implying I am not doing my job as Harry's Head of House?"

Snape met her gaze. "Why would I imply such a thing?" He said silkily.

Minerva narrowed her eyes. "How dare-"

"Enough." Dumbledore interrupted. "I have made my decision and was merely informing you Minerva, before I told Harry."

Minerva took a deep breath. "I see. Well then, I must insist that Harry still be a part of Gryffindor and stay as seeker. That way he will at least have some happiness this term."

Snape struggled to control his temper. Yes, he did not like the boy but to keep eluding that he would treat Potter that bad was grating on his nerves. Of course in her mind, all Slytherins were bad. "If he plays Quidditch this term it will be on my team not yours." He said smoothly. He had thought denying Potter Quidditch privileges for the term would be fun but this was better.

"Harry wouldn't play against his own house." Minerva said smugly.

"No he wouldn't. As Gryffindor wouldn't be his house." Snape said just as smugly. He smiled widely when she scowled.

"Stop you two." Dumbledore sighed. "Quidditch was supposed to be a friendly rivalry among the houses you know. But more important, it is time to let Harry know of our plans. I would appreciate it if you two would stay when I tell him. Minerva, I hope for you to lend your support to Harry and Severus I wish for you to assure him that his treatment in your house will be fair."

Minerva pursed her lips but nodded in acceptance while Severus crossed his arms across his chest and inclined his head.

"Thank you." Dumbledore said gratefully, hoping he wasn't making a mistake by doing this. He wrote down a quick note and then called for a house elf to give the message to Harry. And then they waited.

HPHPHPHP

"You wanted to see me Professor Dumbledore?" Harry asked when he entered the office. He saw that his Head of House and Professor Snape also there and wondered why Snape would be here. He gratefully sank into the seat Dumbledore gestured to. He really wasn't feeling well and really needed to get his hands on some bruising palm.

"Yes. The running away from home this past summer and causing a fight before the sorting feast has to be addressed Harry. The solution I have come up with is a little out of the box but I think it is worth trying." Dumbledore continued with a kind smile.

"So I'm not expelled?" Harry asked nervously. There was no way he was returning to the Dursley's.

"Of course not my boy." Dumbledore assured him. "For the first term of school you will be resorted. Into Slytherin."

Harry stared at the headmaster in shock. That was his punishment? Was Dumbledore insane? He would be killed in his sleep! "No."

"Harry,-"Dumbledore started.

Harry stood up, trying to ignore the wave of dizziness that came over him. "I know I messed up tonight but this isn't a fair punishment. You can't take my friends from me, especially now."

"Harry this isn't a punishment and it isn't permanent." Dumbledore said. "It is a learning experience for you and for the Slytherins as well."

"No. I'd rather be expelled." Harry said coldly.

"Mr. Potter that is enough." Professor McGonagall said firmly.

Harry shook his head. They couldn't do this. After the summer he had had, he needed to be with his friends, even if they didn't know the whole truth about how bad the Dursley's treated him. "I know I was out of line in how I spoke to you Professor McGonagall and I'm really sorry. Stretton and Page were bullying me and I just reacted. But this isn't fair." He put a hand to his side. "You are putting me with people who hate me and would gladly kill me, including the head of house."

"Watch it Potter." Snape growled. "If I actually wanted you dead I would have let you die your first year in that Quidditch match."

Harry looked away. That was another thing; he wouldn't be able to play Quidditch. He couldn't play during the summer as it was and he missed it. They were taking away everything he cared about. "Why are you doing this? You are taking me away from my friends, my house, and Quidditch. Yet you say this is not punishment?"

"You can still play Quidditch Harry, only on the Slytherin team. And it is just until Christmas." Dumbledore insisted. "Right Severus?"

"I'm sure something can be arranged." Snape nodded.

"Harry, please. Trust me." Dumbledore implored.

Harry shut his eyes for a moment. "I don't have a choice do I? It's this or I return to the Dursley's."

"Why did you run away from them Harry? You know why it is important for you to be there during the summer." Dumbledore said seriously. "I understand you were probably afraid after blowing up your Aunt but to run away-"

"He blew up Petunia?" Snape suddenly asked Dumbledore, looking interested. He knew the boy had run away from home after doing magic but had not been told what magic he did.

Harry was surprised that Snape knew his Aunt's name.

Dumbledore shook his head. "No, his Uncle's sister."

Unless Harry was imagining it, Snape actually looked disappointed.

"I don't want to talk about it." Harry said quietly. It's not like them knowing the truth would change anything.

Dumbledore sighed. "Very well. Tomorrow morning you will join your new house at breakfast and your things will be moved to your new dorm."

"Potter, the Slytherin password is Callidus. That is only for you to know. If I find out any Gryffindors know it, you will have detention for the year." Snape glared at him.

"I won't tell anyone." Harry said as he returned the glare. "May I go now?" He really felt like he was going to be sick.

"Have a good night my boy." Dumbledore said with a gentle smile.

"Remember Mr. Potter, even if I am not officially your Head of House you may come to me with any issues you may have." Professor McGonagall said primly. She didn't acknowledge the scowl her colleague was giving her.

"Thank you. Good night." Harry nodded to all three adults and then left the Headmaster's office.
Chapter End Notes:
How will the rest of Gryffindor react to Harry's re-sort into Slytherin? What about the Slytherins?

Reviews are appreciated, they let both the original author and myself know how much you like this fanfiction.