Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or On The Flip Side, they are works of J.K. Rowling and MusicMelis, respectively. Neither MusicMelis nor I make profit of any sort off of these works. In addition, neither of us claim to own the Harry Potter franchise and I do not claim to own On The Flip Side.

Thank you to Nightshade sydneylover150 and Fmh for reviewing on the first chapter!

Nightshade sydneylover150: You asked for more, here it is!
Chapter 5
Classes were interesting. Harry kept automatically going to sit with the Gryffindors and had to be reminded that he was a Slytherin now. He was ignored for the most part by his fellow housemates. Draco just kept sneering in his direction although Daphne and Tracey were nice to him. Theo just kept looking at him curiously and Vincent Grabbe and Gregory Goyle looked like they didn't know how to act around him. Harry was happy to see Ron and Hermione in some of his classes and they waved and smiled at him.

Potions class was a different experience. Harry had only just slid into his seat when Snape entered. Snape had stared at him and opened his mouth but then snapped it shut. He had then turned away from Harry and began class. Harry had resisted the urge to laugh as he knew that if he was still in Gryffindor, points would have been taken away from him even though he had technically been on time. It was the first time in a potion's class that Harry wasn't snapped at or ridiculed. It was actually a nice change.

After classes were over Harry met Ron and Hermione in the library. He ignored the fact he was supposed to be in the infirmary. He would fight tooth and nail to avoid it.

"How's it going so far?" Hermione asked anxiously.

Harry shrugged. "So far it's okay. I haven't been to the Slytherin Tower yet though. But breakfast and lunch weren't too bad."

Ron looked disbelieving. "You can tell us the truth. They were all horrible to you weren't they?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I met a couple of nice people. Draco was his usual self though. Although it seems that some of his housemates see right through him and don't think he's the greatest thing ever."

"Probably only Draco thinks that." Hermione said as she opened her Transfiguration text book. "He has to buy people new brooms for them to like him."

Ron and Harry snickered. The boys spent most of the time in the library playing chess although Harry couldn't concentrate as his vision once again blurred. He felt like he was starting to drift in and out of awareness and that was scaring him. His friends were concerned but he assured them it was just because he hadn't eaten much due to nervousness. When he left to finally go to his new Tower, his friend's watched him go with worry.

HPHPHPHP

When Harry arrived in the common room, he looked around remembering being here before with Ron last year when they thought Malfoy was the Heir of Slytherin. Graham had showed him around and led him to his new dorm which was done all in dark green and silver.

"You'll be sharing the dorm with Draco, Theo, Vincent and Gregory." Graham said. He pointed to one bed neatly made. "That is yours. You should also be informed of the Slytherin Code."

"You have a code?" Harry asked curiously.

Graham nodded. "We stick together and protect our own. No fighting amount ourselves and if you have a disagreement with someone in the house you keep it in the Tower, never show it outside to everyone else. You're included in this now."

Harry had to admit that it sounded nice. He doubted any of the Slytherins would follow that code concerning him but it was nice that they had it. He wished Gryffindor had something like that. They tried to watch out for their own but it wasn't something official, like Slytherin has. He thanked Graham and checked that his belongings were there. After grabbing a text book to read he went into the common room and sat down, trying to ignore stares and whispers that were sent his way. After awhile most of the Slytherins drifted off to get ready for dinner and it was just Harry, Daphne, Tracey, Draco and Theo left in the common room.

"Is there a reason Mr. Potter that you were not at the infirmary?" Snape entered the common room and glared at Harry.

Harry inwardly groaned. He had been hoping Snape would think he had gone and that Pomfrey would be too busy to mention it. He couldn't let anyone know…

"I'm waiting Potter." Snape said impatiently.

"I'm not sick. I don't need to go to the infirmary." Harry finally said, staring down at his book.

"I told you, you spoiled brat, that all my Slytherins are required to have a full check-up regardless if they are sick or not. What part of my wording confused you, hmm?" Snape said sarcastically.

Draco smirked as he watched the exchange. Potter thought he was so special. At least Professor Snape would make sure he knew that he wasn't special at all.

"Nothing confused me sir." Harry said stiffly. "I don't want the check up."

"Too bad. It is my policy with my Slytherins." Snape gritted his teeth. The brat was infuriating.

"It's a good thing I'm not really a Slytherin then!" Harry shot back. He couldn't have that check up. If he did, everyone would know!

"Detention! You are lucky that I do not take points from my Slytherins." Snape shot back. A cruel smile formed. "Perhaps I will take points from Gryffindor since you still consider yourself one. A hundred points from-"

"No!" Harry stood up. He couldn't let that happen to Gryffindor. He took a shaky breath. "Please sir. I just don't…please." He looked up at Snape, pleading in his eyes.

Snape had to look away. Lily's eyes. "I will escort you now since I can't trust you to go on your own." Snape was curious as to why Potter was so against going. There was no way he had anything to hide as he was spoiled and coddled at home. All Snape could think was that he was doing it to get attention. Just like his father, Snape thought in disgust.

"Aw, poor baby Potty is afraid of the infirmary. I thought it was your home away from home, you end up there so much." Draco scoffed, causing Theo to laugh. Daphne was staring at Harry, her blue eyes narrowed in thought.

"Are you wearing a glamour Harry?" Daphne finally asked. It had been bothering her all day. She had known something was off during breakfast and lunch.

Snape looked at Harry in surprise. He stared for a moment and with a sinking feeling realized that Miss. Greengrass was right. Without remembering that they had an audience Snape withdrew his wand. "Finite Incantatem."

Harry shut his eyes as he felt the glamour fall away. He heard gasps of shock.

"Po-Potter?" Snape stepped forward in concern. The boy's face was bruised, eyes were glazed over, bruises on his arms, and he was very pale and much too thin. Snape couldn't believe he had missed this. I always know! He thought in shock. He could always see the signs even with students not in his house.

Draco couldn't believe it. Potter looked like he had been worked over but good. What in Merlin's name had happened to him?

Daphne was staring at Harry with her hand over her mouth. Who did this to him? He must be in so much pain and he didn't say anything, she thought sadly.

"Let's go to the infirmary Potter." Snape said quietly.

"I don't want everyone else to see. Please." Harry whispered, feeling humiliated. Now they knew how weak he really was. He would never live this down.

Snape nodded in understanding and replaced the glamour for the moment. He then led Harry out of the room.

"Was he beat up here? Someone in our house?" Theo wondered out loud.

"Or maybe someone from another house angry that he is here." Tracey suggested.

Daphne shook her head. "No, those bruises looked old. Several days, maybe even a week old. Which would mean-"

"His family." Draco said, still shocked. Was it possible? The boy wonder was abused?

HPHPHPHP

"There you are. My time is important as well you know." Poppy grumbled when she saw Severus lead Harry into her infirmary.

Snape threw her a glare. He made sure the infirmary had no one else in it and then waved his wand locking the doors and casting a silencing charm so that no could overhear. "Sit down Potter." He said. He took a deep breath and removed the glamour, not surprised when Poppy gave a gasp.

"What happened? Was he in a fight?" Poppy began waving her wand over Harry, running several diagnostics. A parchment began forming. "These happened before school started. What happened to you Mr. Potter?"

Harry stayed silent. "I fell." He finally said, wincing at how stupid that sounded.

"Of course. Because those injuries are consistent with a simple fall." Snape sneered. He had heard excuses like these many times before.

"Severus." Poppy murmured. The parchment had grown quite long. Her eyes widened. "I need to get several potions. Mr. Potter lay down now."

As Poppy began hurriedly gathering vials from her cupboard, Snape read the parchment that she had produced. Potter was bleeding internally, his spleen ruptured. How had the boy been able to keep going with passing out? His magic, Severus thought. If one was strong enough their magic would work to fix them if they were hurt or sick. Potter's accidental magic had been pulled forth and was trying to heal him.

Snape read the rest of the diagnostic. It was clear that Potter had been abused and neglected since he was a toddler. Severe malnutrition, dehydration, bruises, sprained bones, a broken arm, burns, cuts and currently bruises on his face, arms and side. His ribs were bruised and he had a high fever. Snape flicked his dark eyes up at Harry, who had laid down and was looking embarrassed. "Don't do that."

"Do what?" Harry asked in confusion.

"Do not look embarrassed." Snape said flatly. He knew what to say to abuses students. But this was Potter. He was supposed to be spoiled and arrogant like his father. "The only ones who should be embarrassed are the ones who did this to you." And those who failed to notice, Snape finished silently. "Your relatives, I presume?"

Harry bit his lip and nodded, for the third time in his life admitting to the abuse.

Snape struggled to control his anger. He was furious at the boy's relatives, angry at Minerva for not checking her students, angry with Dumbledore for putting Harry with his relatives and obviously not checking up on him. But most of all he was angry at himself. He had promised to protect the boy for Lily. Despite treating Potter the way he did, he had done what he could to protect him at school. He had not thought that Potter needed protection at home.

"Can you tell me what caused these current injuries?" Snape asked as Poppy came back.

Harry hesitated. "The summer started out like usual."

Snape nodded. Meaning the usual abuse, he thought darkly.

Harry sighed. "But then I accidently blew up Aunt Marge. My uncle hit me. I ran away before Uncle Vernon could really make me pay for it. Then Fudge sent me back even though I told him and showed him the bruise on my face. He said there was nothing wrong with having strict guardians and that basically I deserved it and should accept whatever they do to me."

"What!" Poppy was lived as she returned lining up vials on the table next to Harry's bed.

Harry flinched slightly and without thinking Snape put his hand on his shoulder. "It's okay Mr. Potter. No one is mad at you. What happened after that moron sent you back?"

Harry gave a faint smile as he drank the first vial Pomfrey handed him. "My side was already sore from Dudley punching me and Uncle Vernon punched me in the stomach and kicked me in the side." He began to feel very drowsy. "No food just some water…chores…was locked up for while...hit and slapped...no one believes...no one cares." Harry fell asleep.

Poppy's face was grim, her eyes glinted in anger. "He's bleeding internally Severus. His spleen has been ruptured. How he hasn't collapsed by now I don't know."

"His magic kicked in and is trying to heal him." Snape said quietly.

Poppy gave a deep sigh. "Of course. It's just been awhile since I've seen a case this bad. If he didn't have his magic Severus…"

"I know." Snape said. If it wasn't for the child's magic trying to help him, Potter would have succumbed to his injuries long ago.

"I can't believe I didn't see it!" Poppy said as she began working healing charms over Harry. "He's been in here enough the past two years, I should have done a full check up on him. I noticed he was very thin at the start of school but I figured it was because Hogwarts has such grand feasts that most children probably lose weight during the summer. But look at this!" She banished Harry's shirt where they could see more bruises and how thin the child was. "I can practically count his bones he is so malnourished."

Snape took a deep breath at the sight. This was completely unacceptable! "I believe his magic cast the glamour on him no doubt answering to his fear of people finding out. If he had had a full health check as a first year we would have known about the years of abuse."

Poppy nodded with a guilty look on her face. "I should just perform the scans even if their Head of House do not ask for it. I should insist to the Headmaster that it should be protocol!"

Snape remained silent. He never understood why he was the only Head of House that insisted on checking their student's full health. There were abused cases in every house though most did end up in Slytherin as they had to learn cunning skills to hide their abuse. Unfortunately most of his colleagues, like the Headmaster, had a hard time fathoming that parents or guardians would hurt their child in such a way. Poppy had finally seen the truth when he was a student and did her best to help him. She had informed Dumbledore and he had tried to help as well.

As Poppy healed the internal injuries on Harry repairing his spleen and spelling into him a blood replenisher, Snape picked up the bruise balm and began spreading it on the boy's face and arms. After Poppy finished, she helped him apply the balm to Harry's left side where it was a deep purple and his back.

Snape saw that once the bruises began to disappear there were scars on Potter's back. He gritted his teeth to hold back his anger and summoned a scar removal cream. He applied it gently and thoroughly until the marks slowly vanished. He summoned another potion. "I would like to start him on a nutritive potion." He looked at Poppy.

Poppy nodded grimly. "Yes, he will need to take that for awhile. He may need a stomach soother when he eats as his body is not used to food and it will take some time before he can eat a full meal."

Snape nodded and spelled the nutritive potion into Harry. "I will make sure his meals are catered to him as he will need to start with more bland meals."

"I'd like for him to stay the night so that I can monitor him." Poppy said as she spelled a fever reducer into Harry. "He will sleep through the night which is good as his body is still healing."

Snape nodded. "I need to speak with Albus. I'll come back and check on him in the morning. If anything happens let me know right away." He turned and swept away.

HPHPHPHP

"Hello Severus. How can I help you?" Albus asked when Snape entered his office.

"Potter." Snape said, finally let the anger he felt make his way known.

Dumbledore sighed. "It has not even been twenty-four hours. I thought you could hold out a little longer than that."

"Potter is in the infirmary." Snape said coldly. "I'm afraid you neglected to inform me that he was an abused child."

"I beg your pardon?" Dumbledore looked truly shocked.

"He's been abused." Snape said again. He held out the parchment that showed Harry's medical history.

Dumbledore read silently, his normally twinkling eyes growing dark. He had known that Petunia had not cared for Harry the way he had hoped but this…he had not expected this. He had completely failed the boy.

"Did you ever have Potter checked on as a child?" Snape demanded.

"Arabella lives across the street from the Dursley's. If she had seen anything she would have told me." Dumbledore said evenly.

"She would have seen what Potter wanted her to see. Children learn very quickly to cover the abuse." Snape said stiffly. He had learned to as child. How strange to have something in common with Potter. He just wished it was not this. Anything but this. "How often did she see him? Was she ever in his home?"

Dumbledore sighed regretfully. "No. She would occasionally babysit when the Dursley's went on vacation."

Snape raised an eyebrow. "They didn't take Potter on vacation? And that did not raise any questions?"

"I knew Harry wasn't being cared for the way I wanted. He was thin and small even for an eleven year old. But I assure you Severus I had no idea that he had suffered all this." Dumbledore looked every bit his age as he looked at Snape. "How is he?"

Severus sat down across from Dumbledore and ran a hand over his face. "Asleep right now. Poppy healed the internal bleeding and we applied bruise balm and scar removal to him. We spelled nutritive potion and fever reducer into him. He needs to gain weight and catch up on sleep." He looked at Dumbledore almost accusingly. "He said this latest…incident occurred after he accidently blew up his Aunt. He told Fudge why he didn't want to go back to his relatives, even showed him the bruise his Uncle had left on his face. Fudge sent him home anyway."

"I see." Dumbledore said quietly. "We were worried about Sirius being out there and Cornelius probably thought he would be safer with his relatives despite the bruise."

"You do not understand. It is very hard for a child of abuse to tell someone. Potter took the chance and not only did Fudge dismiss it, he apparently implied the boy deserved it!" Snape seethed.

Dumbledore looked surprised. "I am sure Cornelius didn't-"

"He will not return to his relatives." Snape cut in, staring at Dumbledore.

Dumbledore took a deep breath. "The blood wards-"

"Mean nothing if Potter is killed by his muggle relatives." Snape interrupted. "That is where this is leading. If his magic had not kicked in trying to heal him, he would be dead by now. I'd also wonder how strong those wards actually are if there is no love to sustain them. Lily gave her life for her son so he could live and be cared for. She would never stand for this! And neither will I."

"I'm surprised to hear you advocate so strongly for Harry." Dumbledore remarked. He realized that was a bad move on his part when the room practically shook with Severus's anger, his magic almost crackling around him.

"I made a promise on my life to protect that boy. I have not treated him kindly or liked him but I have protected him. I never stand for abuse for any child and especially not Potter. Not Lily's son!" Snape hissed.

Dumbledore stared back at him and then nodded. "I will need a guardian who is adequate for Harry. Someone powerful enough to protect him, to offer him strong enough protection that the blood wards did. Someone who can guide him, care for him and help him through his abuse. Someone who can truly focus on him. Unfortunately, I cannot think of someone who meets all of those requirements." He tilted his head. "Well, I can think of one person but I fear for my life if I ask him." Dumbledore kept a steady look on his Potions Professor.

Snape looked away. He should have known. The truth was he did meet the requirements. He was fully invested in seeing Potter stay safe and make it to adulthood. And if the Dark Lord did come back and war started again, he would do what it took to see Potter through it. He owed Lily that. He knew her heart would break if she knew all Potter had been through. That would mean though, that Snape would have to adjust his thinking about the boy. He had only let himself see Potter as James Potter junior as it made him feel better to take points and give unfair punishments. Was it petty? Of course it was but Snape never claimed to be perfect or even a good person. He had done horrible things in the past that he could never make up for. The only thing he could do now was honor his promise he had made in Lily's memory. The only true friend he had ever had and the only woman he had really loved. Her son was hurt and Snape had to do what he could to help him. The truth was as soon as he had seen that broken child who was bruised and battered, Potter had ceased to remind him of James. James had been spoiled and loved by his family and had not known pain or rejection.

Dumbledore had been watching him thoughtfully. "Of course if the person I am thinking of became Harry's guardian, then he wouldn't be able to do certain other duties that may come up in the future."

Snape stiffened. He knew that if the Dark Lord came back he would go back to spying. It was not something he wanted to do but he would do it to get information that would help protect Potter. How could he be Potter's guardian and a death eater?

"We do not know when Voldemort will come back. And Harry needs a guardian now. Someone who can also help train him to defend himself. I can work on other ways of getting information besides using you Severus." Dumbledore said quietly. He would have to work on getting another spy or find another way to get the information when it was time.

Albus knew he had already failed Harry in an unforgivable way. He knew Severus would protect Harry with his life as well as help him deal with the abuse he had suffered. His two boys would be good for each other. They both needed a family. It wouldn't be easy though, as they were both stubborn and in the last two years animosity had built.

Snape closed his eyes and Lily's beautiful face floated through. For you Lily, he thought. Always for you. He opened his eyes and looked at Dumbledore. "I'll do it. I will become Potter's new guardian."
Chapter End Notes:
How are you all liking this story so far? MusicMelis and I would love to know! How will the other Slytherin third years act around Harry now that they will know? How will Professor Snape change around Harry? How will Harry react to Severus becoming his new guardian? What are Ron and Hermione doing? Do they know about the abuse?