Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I own nothing so far-except for my evil muse, of course!

A/N: I sure you guys already have figured this out, but this is set after the events of OotP.

Nothing is ever easy

Harry never has a normal summer, does he?

Harry's mind had just begun to wrap itself around Grinny's declaration. He knew as soon as he heard the name "Dobby" that there was bound to be trouble. However, Harry simply was not prepared for this. He had gone over at least a dozen of scenarios in his mind since returning to Privet Drive, not trusting the he was truly going to be safe there. Unfortunately, all the outcomes had been the same. Painful death at the hands of Voldemort and his minions.

"Is Harry Potter all right?" came a concerned squeak.

Harry jumped at the sound. He was so preoccupied with his thoughts he had completely forgotten about the house elf standing before him.

"No, I am not." Harry stated, truthfully. "I can't very well defend myself against a horde of dark wizards looking to prove themselves to their homicidal leader, now can I?"

Grinny stared at Harry for a moment before snatching a lamp off the end table and bashing himself senseless with it.

"Grinny sorry, sir! Grinny had no right to anger a great wizard such as Harry Potter!"

Harry sighed. He hadn't meant to snap at Grinny. He needed to come up a plan of some sort quickly. Having an unconscious house elf certainly would not make things any easier.

"Grinny, stop!" Harry shouted. "I'm sorry, okay? I just need to think."

Grinny dropped the lamp and looked expectantly at Harry, who was deep in thought.

The trouble was that Harry did not have many options. He had just sent Hedwig to Hogwarts earlier that day due to a particularly vivid dream. Voldemort was having a meeting with someone who Harry believed to be a recent addition to his followers. That in itself wasn't very surprising to Harry- the number of Death Eaters seemed to swell with each dream. What was surprising is that this person seemed to know a lot of dangerous information and was giving it to Voldemort with glee. Harry was certain he had spooked Hedwig when he awoke the next morning. He frantically jotted a note down to warn Dumbledore of this new development and shouted at Hedwig to go as quickly as she could to Hogwarts and deliver this to the first teacher she could find. It was addressed to Dumbledore, of course, but Harry doubted she would be able to easily find the Headmaster. Harry didn't send it to 12 Grimwauld place because of the risk involved. If Hedwig was followed, the consequences would be terrible.

For everyone.

The clock is ticking. And believe me, Severus can hear it.

Years of hardening allowed Snape to not betray his shock. Years of Occlumency training kept his swirling thoughts just out of the Dark Lord's grasp. How could such sensitive information have been leaked? This newcomer must be close to home. Very close to home.

Voldemort surveyed his army with piercing eyes.

"Why is it, I wonder, that this new servant has brought me more information in one day than most of you have in years?" Voldemort asked, calmly.

The Dark Lord's soulless eyes challenged all in the room to respond. No one took him up on it.

"Lucius! Severus! McNair!" Voldemort hissed. "Come forward."

The three moved forward, Snape being the only one willing to hold the Dark Lord's gaze.

"The three of you all have connections that should have allowed you to obtain the Boy-Who-Lived's location long ago. Do not fail me again, for next time I will not be in such a pleasant mood. Crucio."

When the three had regained their composure, Voldemort addressed them.

"You shall have one hour to retrieve the boy and bring him to me. Alive. Accio parchment!" A small piece of parchment flew into his hands, and he handed it to Snape. One quick glance was all it took for Severus to realise this may very well be the last day of his life as a spy. Or the last day of his life, period, knowing Potter. Malfoy snatched it out of Snape's hand. Patience had never been one of Lucius' strong points.

Malfoy studied it for a moment, and then peered at Snape.

"I am not familiar with non-magical areas, Severus. Where exactly is this 4 Privet Drive?"

Chapter End Notes:

That's all for now!! Please Read/Review/Say Hi ; )

To my reviewers-You help feed my muse.