Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello to all my readers out there!! This is also the last chapter where Snape and Harry are separated. They finally meet up in Chapter 5, although not under the best of circumstances. A special thanks to Sevti Rune, for the map suggestion. It made me laugh when I read it, so I had to use it ; )

Disclaimer: Still not mine. Sigh. Exempting the plot, any OC’s (although there are no plans for one at the present time), and Sevti Rune’s wonderful map suggestion!

Timing Really is Everything

We left Harry in quite a predicament. No one to call, no silver lining. At least he doesn’t know that he only has exactly 59 minutes, 27 seconds left...............

Harry had grown aware of the tattered house-elf’s skitterish glances in his direction. If Grinny thought he was conjuring up some brilliant escape plan, he would be very disappointed at the racing contents of Harry’s mind. It’s not that Harry had never gotten himself out of a seemingly hopeless situation before, but he had to face the glaring fact that Hermione was the brilliant planner, not him. He was the “spur of the moment” one.

Most of Harry’s current thoughts revolved around ensuring that Sybil Trewlaney never, ever uttered ANYTHING accurate again.

Luckily for him, a small voice of self-preservation chimed in.

Death Eaters.

Coming here.

For him.

“Grinny!” Harry shouted.

“Yes, Harry Potter, sir?” Grinny squeaked, trembling.

“We have to go, NOW!”

47 minutes, 36 seconds...

If Severus Snape was foolish enough to believe the laughable nonsense that comprised Muggles’ theories on reincarnation and the afterlife in general, at the very least he would have an explanation for the situation he was currently in. It would even be possible to apply his assessment to his entire life.

I was a sadist in a past life.

Walden McNair’s booming voice cut sharply through Severus’ thoughts.

“Are you sure, Lucius?”

No, maybe I was a murderer.

Lucius Malfoy’s cool, condescending tone floated in Severus’ direction.

“Of course I am, Walden. Do you really have the audacity to even consider that I cannot operate a simple Muggle device!”

No, no,........I engulfed an orphanage in flames, cackling manically the entire time...

Snape sighed at his final conclusion and approached McNair and Malfoy with an air of annoyance that forced them both to grace him with their immediate attention. Snape made note of the offending object that was now in Lucius’ possession. He fought a losing battle with his lips and addressed the ivory haired wizard with a superior smirk.

“That, my old friend, is what Muggles’ call a map.”

Noting Lucius’ murderous glare, Snape knew he was treading into dangerous waters. At this point it truly no longer mattered. He was in too deep as it was. There was no going back.

Perhaps there never was.

“Waving your wand at it, you imbecile, does not work because I believe the definition of a Muggle is a “non-magical person.” Pray tell, Lucius, why you think that a non-magical person would, or could for that matter, create anything that would require the implementation of a wand?”

Severus gave a small smile of satisfaction as Lucius turned every color of the spectrum in an effort to keep himself under control. The Potions Master knew that the elder Malfoy desperately wanted to please the Dark Lord, and attacking a fellow Death Eater would surely be a detriment to the cause.

Finally, Malfoy regarded Severus with one eyebrow slightly raised on his aristocratic face.

“Then tell me, Professor Snape, in which direction do you think we should be going? The Dark Lord will be very displeased if we do not return with the boy in the specified amount of time. Far be it from me, Professor, if I have to be the one to inform him of your reluctance to do so.”

“You know, Lucius.” Severus replied testily. “In all the years I have had the immense pleasure of your acquaintance, you have eternally resorted to the same tired tactics to elict what you desire or feel you deserve from others. Always veiled threats and pointless innuendo. Do not fear, dear Lucius, for I do not think any less of you for it. Being the coward that you are, you must feel you have no other options.”

Taking advantage of the fact that Malfoy had been temporarily rendered speechless, Severus took the map from out of Malfoy’s hands and briefly studied it.

“We can Apparate here.” Severus stated, pointing to a small, thin line on the map.

“I believe it may be a small alley, and it is our best hope at not being seen.”

With that, the Head of Slytherin swept off wordlessly. He left the two Deatheaters to trail in his wake.

32 Minutes, 15 seconds...............

Harry realised his mistake just before he stepped out the back door.

“Grinny, you can’t come with me.” He said.

The look of hurt that crossed the elf’s face had Harry rushing out his explanation.

“Look, it’s a miracle no one saw you the first time. It is also too dangerous. Too many people have been hurt because of me already.”

Sirius.

My Parents.

Neville.

Luna.

Hermione.

Ron.

“Harry Potter should not be sad!” Grinny exclaimed, cutting off Harry’s thoughts. “It is not Harry Potter’s fault, sir! It’s...it’s....” Grinny’s voice dropped to an urgent whisper.

“It’s He-Who-Must-Not-Be Named’s fault, sir. And Grinny promised to help Harry Potter, sir! Grinny is good house-elf, sir! Grinny is keeping his word.”

Harry studied Grinny and could not ignore the determined gleam in the elf’s eyes.

Besides that, the house could be under watch already. Harry did not want another death on his head if he sent Grinny out on his own. Inspiration suddenly struck, and not a moment too soon.

“Grinny, you could do magic if your master asked you to, couldn’t you?” asked Harry.

“Why, yes, sir.” Grinny answered, sounding confused.

“And Hogwarts is actually your master, isn’t it?” The elf nodded. “So, since I am a student at Hogwarts, I would be kind of like your master, too?” Harry asked.

“Grinny supposes so, sir.” The elf responded.

Harry grinned.

“Tell me Grinny, can you cast any appearance altering spells?”

14 Minutes, 49 seconds......................

Chapter End Notes:
That’s all for now! Please Read/Review/Talk about the weather ;)